• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Anteater

CartridgeBlower said:
What up everyone. Didn't have time to come home and post my thoughts until now. We signed NDAs, but Arne just gave me the go ahead to post some thoughts, so here they are before the hypnotism pills they gave me wore off --

First off, the guys at ND were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible. I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the MP and UC2. They seem to have fixed much of the dead zone problems, and are adjusting the sensitivity so you can go even higher than what 100% is now. They were literally making changes ON THE FLY as we played, and asking us what we thought of them. They would tweak things like sticky radius, sensitivity, etc.

Also, they mentioned motion blur is definitely getting fixed for SP. Very cool. They mentioned more about a patch coming out very soon, but again, Arne has told me not to give anything more specific away.

All in all, I can say that while bringing Gaffers in might be a partial PR move, it didn't feel that way at all. From everything I could gather, they were genuine. I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell. If the control code was messed up at some point, I don't know, but they are not taking these criticisms lightly at all.

Overall, it was super cool to see how things like this get adjusted and tweaked.

Arne, thanks a ton for being so cool, and thank Justin again if you see him on Monday!

Thanks for the info! Good stuff!

eeuyp5ld8.gif

Thrakier

railGUN said:
So all copies are affected? If so, very interesting...

Of course, seriously, that was never in question.

I'm kinda baffled that they'll "fix" Motion Blur? How...I mean...did they just "forget" to implent it? Seems more than weird.

Tigel

Thrakier said:
Of course, seriously, that was never in question.

I'm kinda baffled that they'll "fix" Motion Blur? How...I mean...did they just "forget" to implent it? Seems more than weird.
Yeah thats kinda wierd haha. Lets hope it wont affect the framerate.

soultron

Banned
Been watching my roommate play lately and he had similar complaints about the aiming. Nice to see that ND took the complaints seriously and brought someone in. c:

Thanks to CartridgeBlower and Arne!

Dynedom

10/10 re-justified amiri-

edit: Seriously though, this is uncanny action. Fixed aiming AND motion blur? Can finally enjoy the visuals....while getting my ass kicked on Crushing (fixed aiming won't fix me)

Haunted

Much respect to Naughty Dog for that response.

I'll repay their ability and willingsness to listen and will 100% buy the game once that patch hits.

Good job, gents.

Dynedom

If this "PR stunt" still results in positive changes, I don't really care. Given how many devs seem to generate nothing but negative publicity, this is actually refreshing.

jackb2424

Banned
Im speechless, I didn't think Naughty Dog were that cool. It was already badass game, and now they're going to patch it to make it even better! Im down for another replay with that sexy motion blur. Bring it to me!!

CartridgeBlower said:
What up everyone. Didn't have time to come home and post my thoughts until now. We signed NDAs, but Arne just gave me the go ahead to post some thoughts, so here they are before the hypnotism pills they gave me wore off --

First off, the guys at ND were totally awesome and seemed to be fully genuine in wanting to get a fix together as soon as possible. I sat down and played with a couple tweaked versions of the new controls, and they were definitely more in line with the MP and UC2. They seem to have fixed much of the dead zone problems, and are adjusting the sensitivity so you can go even higher than what 100% is now. They were literally making changes ON THE FLY as we played, and asking us what we thought of them. They would tweak things like sticky radius, sensitivity, etc.

Also, they mentioned motion blur is definitely getting fixed for SP. Very cool. They mentioned more about a patch coming out very soon, but again, Arne has told me not to give anything more specific away.

All in all, I can say that while bringing Gaffers in might be a partial PR move, it didn't feel that way at all. From everything I could gather, they were genuine. I asked if they didn't notice the difference in control themselves, like many gaffers have been wondering, and they said they literally would sit employees down and give them different versions and they would not be able to tell. If the control code was messed up at some point, I don't know, but they are not taking these criticisms lightly at all.

Overall, it was super cool to see how things like this get adjusted and tweaked.

Arne, thanks a ton for being so cool, and thank Justin again if you see him on Monday!
so....cool....

My love for naughty dog is bordering on straight up sexual at the moment.

Rapstah

Mama Robotnik said:
I hope this sets the trend of shipping more gaffers off to go fix things. Anyone volunteering to be sent to Sonic Team?
They have another fanbase to get people from.

rukland

So jealous of those that got to go, but I am elated that we are going to get results out of this. Good show ND!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mama Robotnik said:
I hope this sets the trend of shipping more gaffers off to go fix things. Anyone volunteering to be sent to Sonic Team?
Sounds like a suicide mission.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Of course they did, your aim is terrible.

/trollface
8/10 :)

Empty

what a credit naughty dog are. sounds very cool.

looking forward to replaying the game when the patch hits. motion blur is exciting too.

KageMaru

Words can't describe how awesome ND have been with this, really one of the great studios of this generation. Thanks for the report and happy to see it's getting fixed (along with MB added!!) Wish we knew when the patch was planned to hit, if it was soon, I'd put my campaign run on a temp hold.

Haunted

Mama Robotnik said:
There aren't enough GAFers to fix that mess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Awesome news. I'm only on chapter 10 or so and turned the sensitivity up all the way to play. I may pause my playthrough until a patch hits.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sound great! Will wait to replay the game on Crushing until this patch has been released, to get the best possible experience on my second playthrough.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Great, so, now I can't play the game until they patch it.

THANKS A LOT NAUGHTY DOG I HOPE YOU ALL EXPLODE

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow ND. Just wow.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jealous :(
I even woke up early today hopeful. The one time not buying $60 games on release has bitten me. Noooooooo.

MB and aiming might be fixed, cooooooooooool.

Question for Arne, I was recently replaying the Jak games and in the BTS videos, there was this one dude, he was black and had dread locks, he was an animator I think, the last time I saw him was in the UDF BTS, he looked very familiar. Does he still work at ND?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dynedom said:
So whose job is it to spin this into a negative?
Let me try:
People are now going to be used to the aiming and it's going to throw everyone off all over again and motion blur will just make the beautiful sharp visuals worse. Also people that bought the game day 1 are getting screwed because they had to suffer through worse graphics and controls.

Did I do it right?

PS
I don't agree with any of what I just wrote.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Big props to ND for taking such steps to immediately and aggressively address player concerns.

Spasm

CartridgeBlower said:
Pure awesomeness
Fucking amazing! I can't wait till this comes out. Gonna wait, and start over (ch. 8) to experience the full unbridled awesomeness with no taint.

StuBurns

Banned
Tom Penny said:
If GAF is wrong then they are fucking up the game for a million different people...
It's not a question of being right or wrong, it's just which you prefer, it isn't fair to say it's broken or anything. GAF has tastefully shown a preference for the superior UC2 model however.

Top Bottom