• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nearly 5 years later, are you still upset about Scalebounds cancellation?

Are you still upset Scalebound was cancelled?

• Yes

Votes: 67 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Never was

Votes: 148 60.9%

• Total voters
So much fuss for a canceled game that never looked great to begin with.

PlatinumGames come out laughing from all this. They received 4 years development money from Microsoft and had little to show for.
Actually it was revealed they were taking that money and allocating it to other projects.

MrS

Banned
It has always looked shit and the fact that Platinum was developing it confirms that it probably would have been. We lost nothing of value.

Last edited:

Yoboman

As much as the idea of a Platinum Games title seems like an auto win, the game actually looked like hot shit every time they showed it

The real issue was that MS first party was already weak as piss and it seemed like they were more or less abandoning new IP and first party projects for ongoing HALOGEARSFORZA. Which was pretty much the case for last gen

Last edited:
The Japanese have a culture where they will accept blame even if it's not really theirs to let their bosses save face. I'm sure the game would have been tremendous but Microsoft just didn't give them enough time to complete their vision.
Maybe if they took that Microsoft money and actually invested it in Scalebound it would have looked better?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that is odd to me is the fact that Microsoft have been, in the past few years, making huge amounts of bets and gambles on developer and publisher acquisitions and yet for some reason this game didn't make the cut.

It looked bad, but Platinum makes fun games, so who knows.
They've never been known for their graphical prowess.

I was disappointed until PSO2 was announced for a western release. At the time we didnt have the JRPG's we have now (Genshin Impact, BOTW and PSO2) and this game seemed to me like a western version of PSO.

That being said, it did look rough and that it relied more on edgy humor and gameplay similar to games like Sunset Overdrive and DMC. I just wanted a game that wasn't an edgy FPS that Xbox One users could enjoy.
When did BOTW become a jrpg?

These tweets do not age well.

*PHEW* Glad we dodged that ScaleBound bullet. Xbox is WAY better for having one less game from a known and well loved developer from Japan.

This kind of marketing speak makes me depressed. It's just so disingenuous.

Also, to people saying it looked bad ... it wasn't even close to complete. And what's the excuse for letting 343i spin their wheels but cutting off PG for this one? I dunno. I don't think it was a smart move ...

Look at it this way. If it turned out less than great, people would blame Platinum for not doing a good job, but my personal opinion is that MS would have gotten credit for supporting them and trying something different. And that's the point. Try different things, support the platform.
MS had already lost tons of money on new IP by 2017 which people forget about, they wouldn't have gotten any creditiff it came out people would just trash it as another failed new ip.

At that point Xbox didn't need to waste more money. They also cancelled Fable Legends for burning cash and looking crafty too.

Also yeah there are problems with 343, but if a flop from them can sell 7 million copies it makes sense to keep giving them chances on infinite. Most of Platinums games are niche.

Thats an inaccurate description. It wasn't multiplayer focused it was a single player combat game primarily which is Platinum's bread and butter. They didn't choose to cancel it. Microsoft pulled the rug out
Actually both said the cancelation was mutual.

As much as the idea of a Platinum Games title seems like an auto win, the game actually looked like hot shit every time they showed it

The real issue was that MS first party was already weak as piss and it seemed like they were more or less abandoning new IP and first party projects for ongoing HALOGEARSFORZA. Which was pretty much the case for last gen
I mean outside Titanfall which wasn't even there's I'm fairly certain all the new ip failed on Xbox One. Their third party partnerships were bad gambles with Dead Riding 4, Evolve etc, then fp you had Quantumbreak, Scream ride, zoo tycoon, record, project dreams, sunset, so on...

Didn't really have much of a choice but to fall back on the big 3 and KI. Sea of theives was the only new ip that was a success. Didn't need to waste money on Fable Legends and Scalebound.

wipeout364

It looked like total garbage from the first reveal. I always wonder if it's Xbox fans that make these threads or Playstation ones, I don't know of many Xbox owners who were upset about its cancellation. The only aspect I am sad about is that Platinum, a company I do like, really screwed this up and its sad because maybe they could have delivered another great game if they hadn't been wasting their time on this.

Every night I cry myself to sleep thinking about Scalebound while cuddling my off-the-grid no-firmware-updates-in-7-years PS4 with P.T. installed on a write-protected disk. These platform holders have taken far too much from we totally sane gamers.

I was definitely curious about the game, and thought I would likely try it out (this is pre-Gamepass - of course I would check it out if it were coming out today). But I was never hyped for it, so when it was cancelled, it didn't really faze me one way or another.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All I want from this is to take Scalebounds dragon mechanic and make Drakengard 4 with Yoko Taro.
tenor.gif

all i remember is watching a gameplay demo at E3 and thinking how lame it looked. also the main character was cringy. microsoft cancelled this and allowed crackdown 3. that tells you everything you need to know. this game must have been in a horrible state.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
After the first showing at E3, the reception was mild at best.

Once it got cancelled though, Scalebound suddenly became one of the most anticipated unreleased games of all time.

It looked bad, and was most probably cancelled because it was

Top Bottom