• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a GBA recommendation; turn-based RPG!

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I have thought about aquiering Fire emblem: Sacred stones, I like the fact that characters can die. But is it better than FF4? and how turn based is FF4 actually? the only FF I've played is X. and is Dawn of souls heavy on the story, because that is two ff's for the price of ahalf...

nominate greats here!! gogogogo! woo!

Tarazet

First off, keep in mind the Fire Emblem series is grid-based SRPGs and not comparable to Final Fantasy. To me, though, it is superior to any of the regular RPGs on the system, except maybe Mario & Luigi or Golden Sun 2.

Brobzoid

I have mario&luigi but I don't like it. Don't know what. it just isn't my tea cup.

FF IV is sorta turn-based. Your characters take turns and you enter commands through a menu, but the enemies continue attacking while you're looking at the menu, deciding on a command. You can adjust the battle speed through the game options, though.

FF I+II is completely turn-based. FF I has basically no story, although FF II has a pretty substantial story (especially for a game that originated on the NES/Famicom).

Hope that helps you... I haven't played either Golden Sun so I can't comment on those.

stalker

Mario & Luigi is the best, you shoul try to like it ...

Golden Sun 1 and 2 are ok, if you do not mind the random battles ...

bluemax

Banned
Avoid Golden Sun 1 and 2 unless you have insomnia.

I suggest Mario and Luigi. BoF2 is decent but hampered by an awful translation. All things considered the GBA didn't get that many good turn based RPGs.

Brobzoid

Is FF4 held back by the semi-turn based gameplay? or is it properly done. If it is, I'll go with that one. Or I'll just see what I like when I hit up the stores.

Ranger X

FF4 vs Fire Emblem you can't lose, both are freaking excellent. Especially if you don't mind the graphics much. (both games use very small sprites when in a map)

You said you played FF10 so FF4 is similar in nature. It's linear story-based RPG with a turn-based battle system but in FF4 there's a bar that needs to fill up before you re-use X character. Kinda the same as if the game was deciding who's the turn by a speed stat like FF10 anyway.

Sacred Stones rules. It's a SRPG. Fire Emblems are one of the best at it.

Seriously, both games rules dude.

Brobzoid said:
I have thought about aquiering Fire emblem: Sacred stones, I like the fact that characters can die. But is it better than FF4? and how turn based is FF4 actually? the only FF I've played is X. and is Dawn of souls heavy on the story, because that is two ff's for the price of ahalf...

nominate greats here!! gogogogo! woo!
Final Fantasy IV is a piece of crap compared to FE: Sacred Stones. Go buy Fire Emblem right now. You won't be sorry.

ethelred

The best traditional and strategy RPGs on the GBA are Riviera: The Promised Land; Fire Emblem; Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones; Golden Sun: The Lost Age; Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga; Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon; Final Fantasy IV Advance; and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis.

I consider Riviera the best of the bunch -- though it has its detractors, go read the game's appreciation thread to get an idea why it's so awesome. Completely, brilliantly innovative gameplay, a great and well-written story (one of Atlus's finest localization jobs), outstanding music, and some of the best graphics on the GBA (hand-drawn sprites and backgrounds).

Golden Sun 2 is... among old school traditional RPGs, one of the finest. Lots of random battles, but the battle system is excellent -- very, very fast-paced with some nice strategic elements thrown in. There's also a really nice character customization system that replaces a Final Fantasy-style class system with something... in many ways much cooler, since there's a great deal of flexibility in it and there's some sidequest-collection tied into it, too. There's also a ton of content in the game -- massive world, a ton of optional sidequests / extra dungeons / hidden special powers to find. And best of all, it has some of the finest level design I've ever seen in a traditional RPG -- enormous dungeons loaded with fantastic puzzles.

Brobzoid

It would be impossible to track down a atlus game, especially one that has been out so long.

ethelred

Brobzoid said:
It would be impossible to track down a atlus game, especially one that has been out so long.

Impossible? Not really. Gamequestdirect.com still has Shining Force: ROTDD in stock, and Riviera's pretty easy (and fairly cheap still) on eBay (plus, I know quite a few stores near me that still have it in stock, so if you do a little bit of searching you could probably find it).

Brobzoid

I live in Scandinvia, Europe. Shipping+customs is a bitch. I lost a leg pre-ordering DDS from england.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
ethelred said:
Impossible? Not really. Gamequestdirect.com still has Shining Force: ROTDD in stock, and Riviera's pretty easy (and fairly cheap still) on eBay (plus, I know quite a few stores near me that still have it in stock, so if you do a little bit of searching you could probably find it).

How much are the stores by you selling it for?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
ethelred said:
Standard price. 30$ plus tax for a new copy.

Damn. I was hoping that it was around 20. After shipping I'd be paying 35-40 dollars for a Gameboy Advance game.

I swear, as much as the DS has gotten me into GBA games, this whole "small print run" stuff is a pain. Amazing how many games that I read about or play through an emulator that I think are great and want to buy - only to not be able to find them. ANYWHERE. And if I DO find them? Full price++.

Its very.... discomforting.

FF IV Advance is definitely worth playing, esp. if you haven't played any form of FF IV before. Yes, there are a few timing glitches in the port, but they honestly don't affect the game that much, and if you've never played the original, I can't imagine you'd care.

As others have mentioned, Fire Emblem is excellent, but I'm not sure if you're looking for a strategy RPG. At least, FE Rekka no Ken (the one that's just "Fire Emblem" in the English version) is great. I didn't care that much for Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones; it's too easy and I thought the scenario/map design was somewhat bland. I can't recommend that one.

Tarazet

mr jones said:
Damn. I was hoping that it was around 20. After shipping I'd be paying 35-40 dollars for a Gameboy Advance game.

I swear, as much as the DS has gotten me into GBA games, this whole "small print run" stuff is a pain. Amazing how many games that I read about or play through an emulator that I think are great and want to buy - only to not be able to find them. ANYWHERE. And if I DO find them? Full price++.

But they're good investments, both quality-wise and resale value-wise. I'd rather pay $40 on a game I know will still be worth $40 in a year than $30 on a game I'm going to see in the bargain bin in six months. Take a guess at how much I paid for a new copy of Fire Emblem 1.

ethelred

mr jones said:

The small print run, which tends to keep a game selling at its standard MSRP, may be a pain for you, but it's a good thing for the publishers. And for a publisher like Atlus, who thrives off of niche games, that's really the best business model they could possibly use... which ensures that these games continue to be profitable for them, which is why they keep bring more and more of them over.

While it may be temporarily delightful to be able to grab an awesome game for 10$ a month after its release, bear in mind that that comes with a heavier price (being considered a financial failure by the publisher which in time leads to less support).

Aside from that, I consider most of Atlus's games (with some exceptions) to be worth the full price that I'll always pay to get them.

ethelred

Jiggy37 said:
When not counting strategy RPGs, Pokemon is the only correct answer until the release of FFVI.

Incorrect on every level.

Dragona Akehi said:
Riviera.

FE is an SRPG, but if that's acceptable, get them too.

She speaks truly.

Riviera, then Golden Sun 2, then Mario & Luigi are where it's at.

Top Bottom