• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need clarification, all my friends said Gears of War 5 is garbage, yet a lot of the online reviews says its 4 starts or excellent, I am confused

I have a friend who is a long time XBox Fanboy and loves the franchise and he said it sucks. He even said the graphics and physics and other stuff are way less impressive than he expected and some stuff is actually downgraded from previous games.

It's just another Gears game made by a team thats,creatively bankrupt. If you like the others you'll like this one. It's the same thing again.
You know it is possible to offer criticism without jumping to hyperbolic bullshit like “creatively bankrupt”.
It's just another Gears game. If you liked any of the others, you'll like this one. They took no chances, did nothing new, implemented a bare bones open world that's just arenas without a loading screen.

Saying it's a bad game is saying they're all bad games. I got extremely bored about a third in, but the formula is "meh" to me.
Kind of telling that you say they do nothing new and directly reference something new they did in the same quote.
I have a friend who is a long time XBox Fanboy and loves the franchise and he said it sucks. He even said the graphics and physics and other stuff are way less impressive than he expected and some stuff is actually downgraded from previous games.
“Actually downgraded from previous games”
Your friend is actually an idiot.

Batiman

Banned
Finally got around to beating it with my son. We had a blast on co op. The game was hard as hell though playing on hard mode. Awesome game. Didn’t really care for the open world parts though. The only thing that was disappointing IMO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The campaign bored the hell out of me and I dropped it after a couple of hours. Very nice looking game, though.

Definitely glad it was on Game Pass.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's more Gears but it's fun. Mixes up the action, pretty good pacing, some really great visuals, decent characters.

SEGA_2012

I played Gears of War for the first time this year. The original trilogy is a masterpiece, some of the best games ever made.

Then I played Gears 4. It is a lot of fun, but not close to the original trilogy.

Right now I am playing Gears 5 and so far i am not feeling it. The weapons , especially the Lancer, has a strange feeling when you are shooting. The "open world" elements are boring. The writing is not good as the original games.

At least it has Jacky. I love that little guy. Jack, rip that door!

Gears 1, 2 and 3 will always be my favorites. 4 and 5 are mechanically good games. I always felt like we could go a little deeper into the set piece though... there is a lot of surface scratching and that is disappointing if you retrospectively think about the journey.

it is a lot like a mission impossible or fast and furious movie in that you went a lot of places but didn’t do much on screen to show for it.

5 starts off good, there's some classic gears designed levels in the beginning in Act 1. Act 2 is kinda ehhhhhh with the snow levels, I liked the big lab level at the end of Act 2 but the rest of it was forgettable and kind of a blur for me. Act 3 was by far the weakest for me but the big rocket factory level at the end of the act was alright. Act 4 is classic Gears with some great level design.

What's disappointing though is it's gaas support as it's had nowhere near the post launch support that 3 or 4 had. Plus I just don't really like horde mode in 5, I think they should go back to system that was in 3 rather than the fabricator.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Gears 5 was the gaming equivalent of a fart in the wind -- garlicy and stout, and drew a lot of attention for a few seconds, but before you know it, no one cared and eventually most people forgot it ever existed (rightfully so).

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I even liked the writing way more than in Gears 4 and I liked using Jack to fetch weapons or attack enemies

RSB

Banned
I played Gears 4 and 5 back to back last month, and I think I slightly prefer 4, mostly because I really hated the upgrade system in Gears 5. The semi-open world sections were kinda cool at first, but they got boring pretty fast (Gears just works better as a completely linear experience I think)

I played the multiplayer for a bit on both games and I prefer Gears 4 also. So many maps. Very fun. Gears 5 felt disappointing in comparison.

Both are pretty good games overall though. I liked them.

I didn’t care that much for it, but it wasn’t bad. The vehicle sections added absolutely nothing, and I don’t really think anything it did evolved the series in the slightest. It was better then 4 though.

njean777

If they are talking about the MP I can agree to a certain extent. I still play it, but it isn't as good as 4 and they are just now finally starting to get back into good graces with the community. Really will be interesting to see what they do with the ranking system, they are rebuilding the whole system cuz the rankings were/are still beyond fucked.

As for the campaign I thought it was good, but not great. They could have cut the open world as all it did was pad out the story and really had no point of existing. Also if you care about the lore a certain choice shouldn't have been included in the game. Gonna be interesting to see which choice the coalition picks as cannon.

pr0cs

Played thru the campaign 2x, once by myself and once with my mates from work. Enjoyed it though the open world sections had too much down/travel time.

Finished level 50 horde mode with my friends too which was a blast.

It's much better than 4 but still not as good as last gen Gears

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I played it just recently and thought it was amazing. Especially after the lukewarm 4. I honestly thought I was done with the series after 4. Only gave 5 a chance because it's on Game Pass. They finally improved on the formula and made it interesting again. Couple of years late, but hey, better late than never.

Justin9mm

Yep. I kept dying through no fault of my own. Horrible game design.
And I thought it was just me, I dropped the game at this exact point! I was like who created this steaming pile of shit! So should I persevere and just get past this ice boss or is there other instances in this game like this? It's so retarded and it made me realise how shitty the controls feel after coming back to it after playing other games.

Last edited:

MadViking

It's not that great to be honest. As awful as it sounds I'm enjoying Wolfenstein Youngblood on game pass much better than Gears 5.

Lanrutcon

You know it is possible to offer criticism without jumping to hyperbolic bullshit like “creatively bankrupt”.

Kind of telling that you say they do nothing new and directly reference something new they did in the same quote.

But it's not new. It's not an actual open world. It's just little combat arenas (they actually lock you inside as usual) with open space between them. It's not like an AC game or Shadow of Mordor or Just Cause where the open world has patrols, events, random encounters, multiple ways to approach and infiltrate, etc. It's just go to X, enter arena which you now can't leave, fight the waves, get the reward, leave. Nothing but scenery in between.

I'm pretty sure if the game actually brought something new to the table worth talking about it someone (anyone) in this thread would be bringing it up by now.

The thread kind of speaks for itself at this point.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
They are not wrong. It is garbage.
Simply put cover based pop a mole shooting went away completely and people actually don't like it.

scalman

Guess depends what you played before, i was in division 2 for months so after that i tried gears5 and after like 30 min deleted it. It looked boring and same old gameplay style, not much freedom. Textures doesnt make game good.

Havoc2049

My best friend and I have played through all the Gears of War games on co-op and we both agreed that Gears 5 is the weakest game in the series. The forced walking Parts are boring and somewhat pointless and the majority of the exploration part was boring. The writing, instead of from the heart and funny, feels shallow and forced with a bunch of spreadsheet checkmark SJW stuff. The final boss fight is rather lame and tedious.

xrnzaaas

It's a woke game, of course it's gonna be praised by the journos. ;) From what I've seen 5 isn't as bad as 4 (the robot levels are still giving me nightmares), but I don't really have a desire to play it. GoW being a dudebro game was always one of the draws for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed it - try it for yourself though. I was told Spider-Man was some fantastic masterpiece but I thought it was only good/very good.

GymWolf

It's good if you haven't played the other games and you are not bored of gears formula.

I mean still not good as the original trilogy tho, the new protagonist are pretty bad.

I was bored by half of chapter 2, thank god for gamepass.

Last edited:

Roufianos

It plays and looks good but there's too much dragging it down. Namely the awful new characters and their consistently terrible humour, along with many of the new enemies who are a chore to fight. Give me a corpser over a pouncer any day. Open world elements suck too.

It depends what you're looking for, I think it fails big time at living up to the series but it's perfectly fine as a stand alone TPS.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's pretty shit. The campaign was really bad, and the MP is barebone and centered around horribly overpriced shit in the garbage store.

Kagey K

Banned
Havemt played Halo 5, never had an xbox one.. unfortunately, so i am not aware if halo 5 is bad or what
Halo 5 is great (the best arena shooter this gen) if multiplayer Halo is your thing.

Lots of people tend to hate on the story a lot though. Not because the campaign story isn’t good (persay,) but. most felt it didn’t follow the marketing enough.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
4 is just boring and annoying later on.
5 is just garbage. It's not gears of war.

These do not come close to the original trilogy and as a biggest gow fan it hurts me to say that :( There are some good JD ad Marcus scenes in 4 and 5 but in general, especially 5 is terrible

mcz117chief

I don't like it myself. The biggest deal breaker for me is that in certain parts of the game the input lag is so horrendous that it is borderline unplayable. The very first level is like that and it did get better the more I went on but the story and enemies and everything is just uninteresting. I didn't hate it, I just didn't enjoy it, not even the multiplayer (which has no input lag, thankfully).

Top Bottom