• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need confirmation: PS3 game demos to cost $1?!

Cheeto

Kutaragi also talks about the possibility of paying 100 yen (about $1) for a small or time-limited game demo.

Didn't Phil H. also talk about the possiblity of buying a GT shell, then buying the tracks and cars seperately? Then we saw where that went.

Tieno

Jim said:
From the GameSpot translated coverage of the event.

So who knows... doesn't sound like it's a proper announcement.
yet :p
Yeah, it was the same with the GT stuff

K_S

Banned
kaching said:
I think worthplaying is confusing something Kutaragi was saying about possibly installing PS3s in retail locations like arcade kiosks and basically charging at those locations for game/demo downloads.

That makes more sense

I doubt that many publishers would agree on having people pay for demos on your own home console

That wouldn't make any sense

Tieno said:
Wtf? It's not 'free' after you pay, it's FREE. Xbox Marketplace is also available to Silver accounts and not only those who pay for online play. You don't pay a monthly fee for demos and other free content on Live, you pay for online play.

I`m sure MS uses some of the money from live subscriptions for the marketplace servers, so in effect live subscribers are subsidising non-subscribers. But in this model, you pay for the demo directly

fse

K_S said:
That makes more sense

I doubt that many publishers would agree on having people pay for demos on your own home console

That wouldn't make any sense

sounds like something nintendo would do. :eek:

Mmmkay

Yeah I think something may have been lost in translation. I recall it coming up during the GameSpot audio feed when they were talking about mobile phone interactions with the PS3. I certainly wouldn't put it past Sony to charge though, and Sony seems to have a habit of slipping out policy as 'theoretical debate'.

Dracos

From IGN:
"Sony is considering having the retail kiosks used as arcade-style units, so people can pay 100 yen or so to play a game."

I'm sorry but that is still stupid. The concept is the same, the location is different. If I go into Best Buy and have to pay to try a demo, then I'll go try a Wii or 360 demo. Thanks.

Bandwidth is expensive... who is paying the bandwidth costs for PS3 downloads? Xbox Live covers that cost by charging for gold accounts which also cover silver accounts to some extent I would imagine. If Sony charges nothing, they will get REAMED with bandwidth charges.

kaching said:
I think worthplaying is confusing something Kutaragi was saying about possibly installing PS3s in retail locations like arcade kiosks and basically charging at those locations for game/demo downloads.
still daft.

aren't kiosks meant to do just the same thing demos do, only win people over to the hardware as well?

This is ridiculous if true. $1 doesn't sound like much, but there have been times when I've downloaded two or three in a week on Live. We'll see if it actually gets implemented, but if it does, well, hey! At least you can play on Sony's networf for free!

antoniogaud said:
Bandwidth is expensive... who is paying the bandwidth costs for PS3 downloads? Xbox Live covers that cost by charging for gold accounts which also cover silver accounts to some extent I would imagine. If Sony charges nothing, they will get REAMED with bandwidth charges.
i think this is something that people have been saying to anyone that thought that the ps3 online would be equivalent to live, but free.

sane people have known that sony were going to cover their costs somewhere (even if this way turns out to be false) all along.

Jim

What Eurogamer had to say about it, in their liveblog:

PS3 units will be installed in many retail and other environments - he's talking about the option of using mobile phone micropayments to use them for arcade style titles and billing systems. Sounds more relevant to the Japanese market, where the arcades are massive business, than to anywhere else...

antoniogaud said:
There is NO WAY ON EARTH that Sony is charging people to play game demos at retail. How would you even do this? Insert your credit card into the BluRay slot? This is most likely for home downloads.

There is NO WAY ON EARTH that Sony is charging people to play game demos at retail. How would you even do this? Insert your credit card into the BluRay slot? This is most likely for home downloads.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
antoniogaud said:

PC demos are made available freely.

I would expect PS3 demos will be free, at least in the West certainly.

I wouldn't give too much credit to some of Kutaragi's remarks at the keynote - stuff like the PC Engine/Genesis downloads, the economics etc. sounded like off-the-cuff stuff, him thinking out loud, rather than confirmed plans for PS3 Online.

Scotch

And here I thought Microsoft were greedy bastards. If Sony goes through with this and MS follows suit I'll go back to PC gaming only. I hate next-gen.

Oh, false alarm. Pfew. Still hate next-gen.

I thought Luke said something about a 3-hour event happening last night?

So far TGS has revealed a lot of great game footage, but aside the Japan price cut, no real news which is sort of disappointing.

Sony needs to explain online strategy fast - especially if they are charging for downloads.

Acosta

I tolerate microtransactions as a valid way to get needed extra revenue (always from the point of view that they are not necesary and you can go without them without problem). But this looks too stupid to be true, demos are used for showing the game and help the consumer decide if he wants to pay for it; people won´t pay for a demo and, what is worse, a good way to show a game will become useless.

Hope is just an idea and nothing more.

RumFore

Banned
Pay for Demo's? Pay to play a Kiosk? I think we may soon need to setup a paypal account so we can donate to Sony if its that bad.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RumpledForeskin said:
Pay for Demo's? Pay to play a Kiosk? I think we may soon need to setup a paypal account so we can donate to Sony if its that bad.

False alarm chief.

Arsenal

jjasper said:
They give away XBLA games?

That was a one time deal for Texas Holdem. It was originally supposed to be a free, advertising supported game (and was announced as such) but their sponsor fell through. In order to avoid the backlash, they offered free downloads for the first 48 hours.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
antoniogaud said:

This is not our problem. Charge for demos, and people will not play your demos. Then they probably won't bother with the game since they didn't play the demo remembering "Oh yeah, they tried to charge me for that shit." then wait for the price drop.

Saint's Row demo was downloaded 200-300k times? That number would undoubtably been slashed to hell if they charged for said demo. Sales probably would have suffered as well.

OverHeat

« generous god »
2lxh73c.jpg

The someone that has to "pay for that bandwidth" is the company putting out the demo. To have this put on the consumer is a terrible idea and not something I would hope any person would support.

I think this is a separate idea from general microtransactions. It's akin to making me pay to try on clothing at the store before I was sure if I wanted to buy it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its nice that Sony and MS are thinking up different ways to rape our wallets, it wouldnt be nearly as much fun if they both raped us in the same holes.

The_Rebel

iapetus said:
To be honest I've been waiting for this to happen on X360 as well. Eventually we'll see companies sure enough of their games that they'll want actual money (or Marketplace points) for their demos. I expected EA to be the first, though. :D

ahuh.. I'm sure Dev's will want 1 dollars worth of MS points so they can make a ton of money selling demo's on XBL (smart thinking there)

why would they do that? all it does is handicap its main purpose of getting the games exposed to the public and get good release hype so they can sell sell sell.

They've got a lot of bandwidth to cover, since one level in a game like Lair takes up like 4GB, so demo's are gonna be pretty huge. This makes sense to me.

btw, my post is not serious at all.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The_Rebel said:
why would they do that? all it does is handicap its main purpose of getting the games exposed to the public and get good release hype so they can sell sell sell.

For games that they expect to sell in huge numbers anyway, and knowing that can use the demos to make extra profit elsewhere? To get extra revenue from games by charging for an early release version of the demo, then making it free later? Just because you can't think of reasons they wouldn't do it doesn't mean it's not possible (or even, from their point of view, desireable). It's not exactly rocket science - companies like Konami and Square have done this sort of thing before by packing the demos for big games in with games they don't expect to sell as well on their own merits - how many people do you think bought ZOE just for the MGS2 demo, for example? The number of pre-owned copies of ZOE with the demo disc missing that appeared in game shops should answer that one...

As I said, I'd have expected EA to be the first company to do this - Madden seems like a prime candidate, doesn't it? Hell, they managed to persuade people to pay money to watch adverts for Madden. $20 for a one-hour advert. And you think people wouldn't pay for a demo? What are you smoking?

i mean thats what happens when people buy themes and wallpapers...

companies get this crazy idea that people will pay for anything!

if you want to make it stop, then STOP MICROTRANSACTING

The Faceless Master said:

Since this is a NEW revenue stream, no boycott is going to work. This is revenue where none existed before.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The Faceless Master said:

Im so part of the problem.....almost 400$ of Microsoft points already

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
OverHeat said:
Im so part of the problem.....almost 400$ of Microsoft points already

As long as you exchange them for stuff of actual value, that's fine. I've bought plenty of XBLA games. But hell will freeze over before I pay for a gamer picture, even if I was sorely tempted by one of the Penny Arcade packs. But I will be strong.

Top Bottom