• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U Demo!Dat EA support.[Alex Ward of Criterion Games]

Criterion has always been an awesome developer, and I love the mentality they have over there with not half-assing their games, no matter what the platform. I wasn't sure I was going to get this version at first, although it had crossed my mind just cuz I wanted more games to play on Wii U. Now I know for sure I will be picking this up next month.

Can we attribute this specifically to Criterion?

I have a hard time believing that any of the developers swallowed by EA managed to keep their culture intact.

Tenki

Criterion seems to be doing a good job. I might buy it, since the only racer I have on Wii U is Sonic All-Stars Transformed and I've always wanted Most Wanted.

FyreWulff

Well look at that, it's officially Need For Speed: Most Wanted U, look at the IGN vid!

NFSMWU

Hopefully Nintendo changes the name of the upcoming New Freakin' Super Mario World U.

Can we attribute this specifically to Criterion?

I have a hard time believing that any of the developers swallowed by EA managed to keep their culture intact.

Criterion has kept it's culture intact. Considering EA bought them from Canon a little over 10 years after they were created, they were firmly established in their ways.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Is that the first confirmation Wii U graphics can look more advanced that on HD Twins? I mean apart from Trine 2, which as a 2D game was not the best example.

I played the maxed out PC version ~60fps, good that the Wii U owners are getting a taste of it. The game is not amazing, but it's fun arcade racer with great car models and engine sounds.

Dear everyone on GAF constantly bitching about shitty 3rd party support on Wii U - buy this game. If this does well then EA and other publishers will get the message, if this tanks then the third party Nintendo cycle will continue..

Etzer

Looking good, surprisingly. I will show my support.

By the way, does anyone here have the Vita version? Is it any good?

Bravo Criterion. If this does prove to be as good as is being touted I will definitely pick it up. Always great to see a 3rd party actually go to some effort on WiiU.

Cronq

Banned
Dear everyone on GAF constantly bitching about shitty 3rd party support on Wii U - buy this game. If this does well then EA and other publishers will get the message, if this tanks then the third party Nintendo cycle will continue..

If they release it on eShop & retail it will sell much better. Publishers need to learn to embrace both as some consumers have strong preferences about digital and retail.

I was thinking father-son mode before he actually said it out loud. First thing that makes the Wii U attractive to me. If they make this more common, it would be a system seller for me.

ozfunghi

Is that the first confirmation Wii U graphics can look more advanced that on HD Twins? I mean apart from Trine 2, which as a 2D game was not the best example.

How is Trine2 a 2D game? Everything is done in full 3D. The camera is just fixed for sidescrolling.

Yuripaw

Banned
It's probably 720p 30fps, but with more gimmicks and better visuals than on PS360.

ya know, even though some of these features sound like standard parent mode gimmicks, I actually kinda really like it. It is basically God mode, and I actually look forward to just turning off stuff like traffic so I can explore the city, and get better at the controls. Never been great at racing games like this.

FyreWulff

Yup, a small team working for 2-3 months putting the shoddy ports like Batman or Mass Effect 3 to shame. Bravo Criterion!

It probably helps that NFSMW is based off Criterion's own technology. Instead of depending on Epic to have a competent version of Unreal running on the hardware.

Effect

Didn't catch it in either video but did they say when the demo was going up on the eShop?

Also here's hoping EA puts the full game on the eShop. It doesn't hurt to have there.

I wonder if you could use the Co-Driver mode solo. Have the options on the gamepad (to turn off traffice, etc to drive around the city) but still use it to drive or if you need to use the Wii remote/nunchuck or pro controller to drive.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
It probably helps that NFSMW is based off Criterion's own technology. Instead of depending on Epic to have a competent version of Unreal running on the hardware.

Epic are just not interested in that at all.

Also Criterion, please make future DLCs also available on WiiU.
We already got screwed over with Mass Effect 3. I'd really not like to see the same thing happen with this game :(

ya know, even though some of these features sound like standard parent mode gimmicks, I actually kinda really like it. It is basically God mode, and I actually look forward to just turning off stuff like traffic so I can explore the city, and get better at the controls. Never been great at racing games like this.

I didn't mean "gimmicks" in a negative sense. They look like fun, especially if a second player wants to fuck with you badly and turns traffic on while turning the Time of Day to night. ;)

I'll probably pick this up.. If only because then we'll maybe get some more EA support, and they actually seem to give a damn about this one.

Meelow

Banned
Not going to lie, this looks really good. I'm happy Criterion made the Wii U version look better :), might just buy!

Kimawolf

I'll definitely have to pick this up. I wasn't expecting to because I am not a fan of 6 month late ports, but they put some real effort into it and it looks better than the old HD twins, so I will buy it heh.

The game was actually done, but it looks like they left some people on the project to polish it up for a few months.

Still think it would have done better at launch.

We'll never know obviously, but I have more want for it now than I did back at launch. There is a pretty serious drought right now, so yeah, I'm happy to see it coming next month where it's got very little competition on the system compared to the situation it would have been in around launch.

I get what you mean by 'done' though. They mention that they'd been working on the Wii U version throughout development, bringing it inline with the other console versions on occasion. So, they probably had a version that was at parity with those versions that could have come out at launch, but they didn't want to just release it like that, obviously.

So the Wii U version wasn't 'finished'. I'm happy to take their word for wanting to wait until people had the system in their homes to see what kind of features might be worth adding.

I'm happy to have yet another that potentially showcases that the Wii U *is* overall more powerful than the other two consoles (even if only by a small margin). We won't need many more before people will get it into their heads that yes, the Wii U is more powerful, it's just not twice as powerful or whatever.

To see a late gen game that was considering technically high end potentially looking somewhat nicer on Wii U goes a lot further to demonstrate what the system can do, than a rushed launch port does.

jred2k

The Burnout: Revenge port that came to the 360 the March after it was released was very well done. Criterion seems to be the type of dev that genuinely enjoys, and gets excited by, working with new hardware.

Top Bottom