• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help picking out an.. engagement ring... *gulp*

Status
Not open for further replies.

impirius

So... yeah. Looks like it's about that time for yours truly. Deciding that I was going to propose was the easy part; figuring out how to do it is much trickier. The hardest part is picking out the ring. I don't have much taste when it comes to these things ("hey look sweetie, it's aircraft grade titanium!"), so I could use some outside opinions. Please?

I'm currently considering these two (forgive the first picture; it's a phone cam shot of a catalog):

hartring.jpg
P906210.jpg

Both are white gold, 1 carat total weight, SI1 or 2, G or H color... good stuff. I've seen the first one in person, and it's very nice, as far as I can tell.

Here's what I know about her preferences:
- Prefers round stones, square is good too... doesn't like marquee
- Doesn't want something that will protrute too much (works in a lab, wears gloves)
- Doesn't like yellow gold
These rings both seem to fit the criteria nicely, right?

If you guys know of any especially good places to buy this kind of stuff, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

impirius

Fresh Prince said:
Did you ask her friends?
Still following up on that... unfortunately, I made up my mind about this after everyone graduated from college and went their separate ways. It's been difficult to get in touch with them. (And thank you! :))

BC: Yeah, it does stick up a little ways; the prongs kind of spiral around the sides. It looks neat, but it might be too high. Maybe it's a question of practicality versus.. uh.. impressivity? Please humor me and pretend that's a word

BuddyC

Well, if she works in a lab she'll want practicality. Around the time you present her with the ring, make sure you emphsize that if she doesn't like it, that's okay, you just want her to have an engagement ring she likes.

I like the second one more anyways :p

Well, if she works in a lab she'll want practicality. Around the time you present her with the ring, make sure you emphsize that if she doesn't like it, that's okay, you just want her to have an engagement ring she likes.

IAWTP. I think the first one is more feminine but what do I know. Or give her an onion ring ala Simspons

BuddyC

If you're going to spend all that cash on an engagement ring, make sure it's one she can wear as much as possible. If she had to remove it each day for work, you'd run the risk of her never wearing it and/or losing it.

pnjtony

when I ws in the market for that my girlfriend told me to NEVER get a ring with the stones set into the band like those 2 are. She said it was tacky.
This ended up being closer to what was nice.

990081301.jpg

BTMash

The first pic that you have is looks moreso like a bridal set (from what I remember seeing at my brother-in-law's jewellery site (some of which I remember him selling on overstock)) and I do remember them looking decent. But the second one seems lighter and better for practical use (which makes me like that more based on the picture), and prettier overall (so its the better package in every way) :). For me though, its always been hard to just judge from pics, in which case, who knows? The answer could be the complete opposite.

However, you know her and her likes best and regardless of which one you pick, I'm sure she will like either choice you make if it came from the heart :)

Good Luck to you and congratulations! ^_^

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is a dumb question that I never asked anyone, or anywhere else but has been bugging me. When you go to buy an engagement ring, how do you know what size to get!? I mean shit, if I were to measure her finger beforehand I think she would get the hint...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Wellington said:
This is a dumb question that I never asked anyone, or anywhere else but has been bugging me. When you go to buy an engagement ring, how do you know what size to get!? I mean shit, if I were to measure her finger beforehand I think she would get the hint...

I forget what it is, but there's some general correlation to shoe size. I don't know, it worked for me when I was just picking out a cheap er, reasonably priced ring as a gift for someone.

impirius

Cool. First of all, thanks for all the well-wishes and advice, guys. It means a lot, seriously. I've taken your suggestions to heart and will probably going to go with the second one after I check my local jeweler and ask if they have or can order something comparable. I'll check out their three-stone rings, too, per pnjtony's suggestion. (As a side note, please support your local businesses when possible! It's a Good Thing. Besides, it'll probably go better if tell her I got her ring from a respected local jeweler than if I say "I did it Ebay!")

CK, I asked her what size she wears when she was ordering her college ring. I figure a good trick would be to find a ring that she wears, put it on your finger, and remember how far down it goes. Then you can try on the little sizing rings at the jeweler until you find one that goes down to the same place. That'd work, right?

DCX

DCX
Wellington said:
Borrow one of her rings and take it to a jeweler and ask what size it is.

DCX

Joe

take her out to dinner and have it arranged before-hand that when they bring out your food, your gf's plate will have the ring in an open case. when the waiter takes off the top she will just start crying and then you take it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom