• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need help selecting handgun for home protection

Falcs

Banned
Pfft.. guns.. you Americans.

Down here in Aus we keep several of these buggers around the garden. I've had no burglaries yet.

large-spider-on-the-wall-picture-id613228918

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'd very likely be alerted to an invasion at least minutes prior to being face-to-face with someone, given other security mechanisms around my home; the plan is to be able to access the weapon in that time, lest there be no point of it.

How could your conclusion be "lack of foresight" without any of these details in my post? You can admit to not liking guns, but don't make baseless assumptions, please.

I'm not attacking you. When I said "the lack of foresight..." was a general statement. Not specific to you or your situation.

I firmly believe if you have one weapon (long range), you should supplement it with other weapons (short and mid range) for any number of scenarios should you be unable to get your primary weapon and be trained in the usage of them.

A bat(s), knives, escrima sticks, tonfas... just anything that can deal damage in key places around the house should the gun not be in reach. I'm deaf, so I don't have hearing when I'm sleep to warn me if someone breaks in. So if I feel the vibration, it's probably already too late to get my gun... So I'm going for the knife under my pillow or the one under the bed (which I'm trained in using).

If I get caught unawares while awake, I can get a throwing knife to buy me time to get my gun (I have several in the hallway).

And when I get married, she'll have training too in all of them (guns and knives).

I have PTSD and trauma of my home being broken into so I'm very much into our survival.

What kind of dog ?

80lbs of pure muscle. Sweet but she doesn’t even like it when I wrestle with the kids. Very protective of people. I would hate to be on the other side of her mad. Even the pizza guy steps all the way back hearing her bark ringing the door bell.

jason10mm

Gold Member
A revolver is definitely the superior home defense firearm if it will spend its life in a drawer. It is easy to see whether or not a revolver is loaded, the exposed hammer models can be cocked for an easier trigger pull, no safeties to less with, ergonomics are usually better for women, and you can download a .357 with .38s for range time.

despire

After a lot of research I settled on the G45. First gun I’ve owned. Don’t go to the range much as costs quickly add up, and I’d like to take a course (did once back when I was 15 with my pops but that was decades ago), but am going to wait until this pandemic nonsense is done.

Excellent choice on the gun.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

alright Joe. Hard to rack. Lots of recoil. Heavy. I'd suggest a 20 guage before a 12. I'd always suggest and AR!5 over those though. Especially if multiple people will want to use it. Nothing better than having a lot of rounds and adjustable stock.
If you own a gun and you aren't an idiot, you should practice with it and know how to rack it. Yes it's heavy but most shotguns are.

The point is for home defense a shotgun is enough. Hey just showing a shotgun will scare away most intruders. Just because Joe Biden didn't recommend a fucking AR or whatever the fuck gun the internet pushes as a necessity these days doesn't mean he is wrong.

daveonezero

Banned
If you own a gun and you aren't an idiot, you should practice with it and know how to rack it. Yes it's heavy but most shotguns are.

The point is for home defense a shotgun is enough. Hey just showing a shotgun will scare away most intruders. Just because Joe Biden didn't recommend a fucking AR or whatever the fuck gun the internet pushes as a necessity these days doesn't mean he is wrong.
It’s wrong to think that you or him know what other people need.

it’s not up to you to decide what other people feel is the best choice. That is the point.

Every weapons platform has issues. The fact you think it’s “enough”. Doesn’t mean anything. In some cases it isn’t and in a lot of cases it is A horrible choice.

Last edited:
I'm not attacking you. When I said "the lack of foresight..." was a general statement. Not specific to you or your situation.

I firmly believe if you have one weapon (long range), you should supplement it with other weapons (short and mid range) for any number of scenarios should you be unable to get your primary weapon and be trained in the usage of them.

A bat(s), knives, escrima sticks, tonfas... just anything that can deal damage in key places around the house should the gun not be in reach. I'm deaf, so I don't have hearing when I'm sleep to warn me if someone breaks in. So if I feel the vibration, it's probably already too late to get my gun... So I'm going for the knife under my pillow or the one under the bed (which I'm trained in using).

If I get caught unawares while awake, I can get a throwing knife to buy me time to get my gun (I have several in the hallway).

And when I get married, she'll have training too in all of them (guns and knives).

I have PTSD and trauma of my home being broken into so I'm very much into our survival.
I see. Your username makes a lot more sense now lol

nush

What kind of dog ?

Most medium to large breeds will provide adequate protection and a deterrent.

Put a sign in the front and back of your property showing the biggest baddest mother fucking dog ever "I live here just try it!". (You can also have a sign with a gun saying "Shoot first questions later").

Intruder hears a dog barking he's gonna bail and choose a softer target.

My dog heard a bump in the night once and she was off immediately, in the dark, cold start from being asleep. Good luck getting a target on a fast moving dog in the dark. She had no training as was running on pure instinct, I was seconds behind her with a hammer. False alarm.

GymWolf

Gold Member

The new plot of rambo sounding pretty juicy...

Do you really have a knife under your pillow?

TrainedRage

Banned
Make sure you do scenarios in the dark from your bed.

It’s really easy to get a gun and just put it under your bed and forget about it.

The first time I did it, I set an alarm for like 4 AM and told myself when you hear that pretend it’s an intruder. I forgot what side of the bed the gun was on and didn’t chamber a round because I was panicked.

After doing this once a week for a month I can easily ready it and be in a safe firing position in like 5 seconds from a dead sleep.

Pretty cool what you can condition your body and mind to do.

Train train train, then train in the dark.

Top Bottom