• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some DS game recommendations...

I'm officially on the bandwagon now and need to be brought up to speed.

I've got my eye on the following:

Ouendan
Tetris DS
Sonic Rush (impressions of this would be welcomed)
Phoenix Wright (?)
Animal Crossing (Haha, yeah right...don't ban me Amirox!)

Help!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
MArio Kart
Animal Crossing
Tony Hawks American Sk8land

Go now!

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The best games are:

SuperMario64 DS
Advance Wars Dual Strike
Mario Kart DS
Animal Crossing
Sonic Rush
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Magical Paintbrush
Meteos
Ouendan

Amir0x

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:

Help!

Damn straight. Anyway, games that are actually good:

Castlevania DS (best DS game made so far, without doubt)
Kirby Canvas Curse (I hate Kirby, and still love this game)
Sonic Rush (don't let the haters deny you. It's fast, well designed (bottomless pits of doom aside) and offers a decent challenge. And it doesn't rely on LOL stylus gimmicks to be awesome.)
Advance Wars DS
Mario and Luigi 2 DS (not quite as good as Paper Mario or the first M&L, but still quite fun and the translation is brilliant as always)
Mario Kart DS (I'm tired of the formula, but I'm pretty sure i've gotta be the only one. If you like the way it is, it's a return in style.)

Sonic Rush (don't let the haters deny you. It's fast, well designed (bottomless pits of doom aside) and offers a decent challenge. And it doesn't rely on LOL stylus gimmicks to be awesome.)

Good stuff. The videos I'v seen makes it look insane. I love how the action takes place on both screens too, I couldn't care less if the touch screen isn't used. I just want some fun 2D platforming goodness.

Mario Kart DS (I'm tired of the formula, but I'm pretty sure i've gotta be the only one. If you like the way it is, it's a return in style.)

Tired of the formula as well. I just want a SSB DS with wi-fi online, is that too much to ask Nintendo :(

You'd think they'd milk SSB as much as Mario Kart considering the sales of SSB:M.

Jonnyram

Amir0x, have you finished M&L2? I'm in the desert at the moment, but everyone seems to bitch about the final boss. Is it as cheap/bad as everyone says?

P.Chum, don't forget to pick up Electroplankton!!

cvxfreak

I've heard so much praise for Phoenix Wright. I might buy it next time I'm in Japan (as it's hardly available in the US these days).

cvxfreak said:
I've heard so much praise for Phoenix Wright. I might buy it next time I'm in Japan (as it's hardly available in the US these days).

Thankfully, Capcom seem to be keeping the shelves here in full supply of Phoenix Wright stock (unlike over in the US).

Remember that if you pickup a Japanese version, they'll be a spelling mistake or two ;)

demi

Pedigree Chum said:
I'm officially on the bandwagon now and need to be brought up to speed.

Ouendan
Tetris DS
Sonic Rush (impressions of this would be welcomed)
Phoenix Wright (?)

Help!

The smart ones waited :D

You're an idiot.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Ranked for me personally:

Phoenix Wright
Advance Wars
Castlevania
Mario Kart DS
Trauma Center
Lost in Blue

All good though, so pick them up.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Amir0x, have you finished M&L2? I'm in the desert at the moment, but everyone seems to bitch about the final boss. Is it as cheap/bad as everyone says?

P.Chum, don't forget to pick up Electroplankton!!
Not as cheap as the first game.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kirbykirbykirbykirbykirby

also mario kart, Awars, tony hawks and Castlevania.

oh, and meteos.
oh and phoenix wright (waiting on my copy so haven't played that one)
and apparently trauma centre (getting rare)

Sonic rush impressions

Good levels, crap bosses that take longer than the 2 levels before it and an ABSOLUTELY SHIT bonus level with an unskippable cutscene that lasts about 5 minutes for getting all the emeralds. the levels themselves are great but I'd wait for a sequel. 6/10

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rather than create another thread, I figured to just add it here.

Is Castlevania DS really that good? It's really up in the air for me.. I'm not really a big Castlevania fan simply because I've never bothered to pick any of them up and give them a serious go. I basically have my hands on almost every single one released, even have SOTN sitting at home but just cannot be persuaded to try it.

AniHawk

Yes. Buy Castlevaniads. I'm not even a Castlevania fanboy and I acknowledge its excellence.

Now, in regards to PC's question about Sonic Rush...

It's a good game. The boss battles can be tedious, and so can the levels (there are pits of death that do force you to memorize the level design). However, it's the best Sonic I've played since Sonic & Knuckles, and it's a recommended purchase.

Phoenix Wright...

Well you better get it now.

Satter

Banned
If you haven't bought one already you might want to wait for the redesign. Mario Kart DS and Animal Crossing:Wild World are must haves.

Aurora

Mario Kart: DS
Castlevania: DoS
Phoenix Wright
Jump Superstars
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan!

All must buys IMO. There are a lot more I could recommend aswell.

Phranky

Banned
Congratulations GAF, even though I've only skimmed over a few posts where people express their opinions on it, you've sold me on Castlevania: DoS.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Castlevania - best adventure game

Mario Kart - best time killer, most fun

Yoshi T&G - great pick-up-n-play, only-have-5-min game. Still play it, great arcade game

Tony Hawk - best graphics on the system, smooth, fast gameplay. A bit easy. Great for first timers, but if your a vet, you'll breeze through it. Good thing its online.

Mrbob

Don't buy Mario Kart DS unless you are a fan of the series. I'm not a big Mario Kart fan, and I bought the game with the $149.99 MK bundle, and I despise it. The game isn't very fun at all. Tracks too wide, sensation of speed not there, and the blue shell ruins the single player experience.

Pick up Phoenix Wright if you can find it. The game is surprisingly long, and all the court cases are interesting. So many twists and turns going on. Makes the experience extremely fun. Some of the evidence grabbing aspects suck, but the actual trial sections more than make up for this part. Might be my favorite portable game of all time at the moment. I have to finish the final chapter first though! :D

I'm also enjoy Trauma Center as well. Not the typical game I would play, but being a wannabe surgeon is fun.

Castlevania DoS is also worthy of a purchase if you like the Metroidvania style. Just don't expect it to be as good as Aria of Sorrow.

If you like pinball, I hear Metroid Prime Pinball is great. I have not played it yet, though.

Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center would keep you busy for a long time. Those are the only two sure fire purchases I would recommend.

Is Castlevania DS really that good? It's really up in the air for me.. I'm not really a big Castlevania fan simply because I've never bothered to pick any of them up and give them a serious go. I basically have my hands on almost every single one released, even have SOTN sitting at home but just cannot be persuaded to try it.

If you haven't played all the previous Metroidvania games, then yes. Compared to Aria of Sorrow and SoTN, DoS doesn't compare though. The castle design is a step behind those two games.

Beezy

speedpop said:
Rather than create another thread, I figured to just add it here.

I've never played through a Castlevania game either, but I got DoS on Friday and I'm loving it. I can also see why some people here call it Metroidvania. SO many similarities between the two. That's not a bad thing though. :D

Edit: To the people who buy import games from sites such as play-asia.com (i think), do you need to use a credit card to buy these games? If so, then I'm screwed for now. I really want to get Ouendan, Band Brothers, Jump Superstars and the new Bleach game. None of these games are text heavy, right?

Kroole

Animal Crossing - Value in a little card. I've played this every day since I got it some days before christmas and I still haven't gotten tired.

Mario Kart DS - Fast, great and the new courses rocks. The best MK I've played although I still prefer MK64:s block fort :)

Castlevania DS - Excellent design and nice gameplay. Highy recommended

Phoenix Wright - Excellent game if you are into the adventure games and don't mind a lot of texts.

Oendan - A really good rythm game that I've enjoyed a lot.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Beezy said:
Can someone please answer my import question? ^^^
Ouendan isn't, you might get through Band Bros. as well, but JSS and Bleach are very text heavy games. You'll need a guide to get through them.

Beezy

jj984jj said:
Ouendan isn't, you might get through Band Bros. as well, but JSS and Bleach are very text heavy games. You'll need a guide to get through them.

Thanks for answering that, but what about my other question? :D

To the people who buy import games from sites such as play-asia.com (i think), do you need to use a credit card to buy these games?

Jiggy

Unskippable:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Lasts well over 100 hours even with just single-player, and among the most entertaining 100 hours of your life at that. I thought I hated strategy games before I played AW2, and this is even better. If there was any justice in the gaming world, this would be to the DS as SSBM is to the GC, but apparently more people like fighting games than strategy. Their loss.

Not unskippable, but still classic:

Animal Crossing: Wild World - It just never ends. It's odd since I hate MMORPGs for being huge exercises in time-wasting and power-levelling, and the money-making in ACWW has a lot of that feel to it, but for whatever reason, I just like this game. Maybe it's the funny dialogue, maybe it's the music, maybe it's the fact that it's the only game I've ever played that I can call "relaxing," or maybe it's just that I like ripping off anthropomorphic animals by sending them 30 Bell seashells which they put in their house, making room for them by throwing away 10,000+ Bell furniture which I then steal out of the recycling bin. I don't know.

Meteos - This would make the below list just by virtue of the stylus play adding so much to the frenetic, hurried pace of puzzle games, but what pushes it into the "classic" category is how complete it feels thanks to the way they fully realize the gameplay mechanics via all of the varied planets. Perfect music and sound effects and good unlockables don't hurt, either.

Not classic, but still great:

Mario Kart DS - You either like Mario Kart or you don't, really.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Only drops below Mario Kart due to these particular uses for the stylus feeling incredibly tacked-on, and the fact that most of the best music in the game can't be heard until you're going through it for (at least) the second time, in Julius Mode. I think it tends to be somewhat overrated; this isn't absolute top-tier, to me, but being a few minor notches below it isn't at all a bad place to be.

Super Mario 64 DS - Better than the original due to more characters, more levels, and some fun minigames (albeit amongst a sea of less fun ones).

Not great, but still good:

Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time - It's fun once, but too linear to warrant another play. It astounds me that even a 2D game like this one, mostly free from lame unskippable storyline sequences and completely free from lame unskippable CG cutscenes, can suffer from the "FFX" effect.

Kirby: Canvas Curse - See Mario and Luigi, except that this lasts about ten fewer hours.

Metroid Prime Pinball - I could actually argue this is better than both of the above games. The pinball physics are pretty spot-on and the music is absolutely beautiful; it's just that I can't help feeling like it would be so, so much better if they had just included two more "standard" tables.

Haven't found it yet:

Phoenix Wright - I want to play it, but it seems to have ceased to exist in the US. Still... I've played text adventures before, and I have to imagine that a text adventure with some of the great animations that get made into GIFs so often can't be a bad thing.

To keep an eye on:

Super Princess Peach (February 27th) - Looks like it has potential to be as good as any other Mario game. At any rate, it should have more replayability than Kirby.

Tetris DS (March 20th) - It's Tetris. Besides that, it looks kind of like the upper screen will play sequences in NES games depending on how well you score, which seems interesting.

Metroid Prime Hunters (March 20th) - Could be a decent FPS. I haven't heard enough about the single-player mode yet.

Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers ("early Spring") - The Guilty Gear engine should theoretically work well with the DS' vertical orientation.

Jonnyram said:
I'm in the desert at the moment, but everyone seems to bitch about the final boss [of M&L2]. Is it as cheap/bad as everyone says?
Yes. Tedious without actually being challenging.

Phranky

Banned
Phranky said:
Congratulations GAF, even though I've only skimmed over a few posts where people express their opinions on it, you've sold me on Castlevania: DoS.

So why didn't anyone bother to tell me it had been discontinued? At least I bought some Oranges when I went down to buy it, its something I guess...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Beezy said:
Thanks for answering that, but what about my other question? :D
No, most import sites take Pay Pal and have a few other methods as well.

My one sentence reviews of all the DS games I've owned.

Mario Kart is the uber-collection of tracks and gameplay elements from all past Mario Karts, but snaking may ruin the online play for you.

Viewtiful Joe DS is the best looking 3D DS game that focuses more on touchscreen and environmental puzzles than combat like its console brethern.

Kirby DS is the best looking 2D game on the system with unique controls and long replay value if you want to collect all the medals.

Castlevania DOS is a great sequel to Aria of Sorrow, but I haven't put as much time into this as the latter because I can't figure out how to not get the shittiest ending.
fuck gamefaqs

Sonic Rush might be the fattest Sonic ever that has some great levels and a rocking soundtrack, but is held back by some questionable design choices (ie 3d bosses that take too long, muchos muertes de "pit").

Mario 64 DS is a decent remake of a classic that is hurt by wonky controls and having to play as that damn green dinosaur.

Meteos was fun for a couple days, but the game design didn't draw me in and the aesthetics eventually turned me off.

Mario and Luigi: PIT is a mediocre sequel to one of the best GBA games that held back by the length and lack of variety in battles, shitty Princess castle overworld, a general lack of humor compared to the first and weaker level puzzles.

Advance Wars DS rocks.

Tarazet

If you liked SotN, buy Castlevania DS. If Castlevania isn't your thing (or even if it is), snatch up Phoenix Wright as soon as you can find it. It's arguably even more of a non-game than most of the other "non-games" out there, but it's as substantial and satisfying as the best murder-mystery you've ever encountered.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
I have Castlevania DoS, Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright and Trauma Center. They're all great games. Mario Kart DS is the best one in the series and shouldn't be missed. Castlevania is a really good Metroidvania with lots of replay. Unless you hate reading, you'll love Phoenix Wright and it's definitely worth importing from Japan or Europe (come March) if Capcom refuses to reprint it. Trauma Center can be kind of hard but it makes the experience all the more rewarding. It's my most "touchy" game and I like it a lot. Pick that up before it disappears completely too. I really want to get Meteos, Animal Crossing and Advance Wars from everything I've heard.

Happy DSing!

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
This thread needs more Trauma Center love. The game is difficult, but I thoroughly enjoyed it... when I wasn't tempted to throw my DS at the wall and scream.

what is this great content? I just don't see it. Once you get rid of nostalgia/mascots and accept adulthood, what *is* there to play on the DS?

hey drinky crow. there is no way you actually *play* PSP. you can't posibly have time for that since you spend all day in Nintendo DS internet forum threads trying to convince people to like the same handheld that you do.

Drinky Crow said:
what is this great content? I just don't see it. Once you get rid of nostalgia/mascots and accept adulthood, what *is* there to play on the DS?

Fun 2D sidescrollers, I'll never really get sick of those.

Tarazet

Drinky Crow said:

Phoenix Wright, of course. And for your personality type, Advance Wars.

demi

metropolis said:
hey drinky crow. there is no way you actually *play* PSP. you can't posibly have time for that since you spend all day in Nintendo DS internet forum threads trying to convince people to like the same handheld that you do.

:lol

Beezy

metropolis said:

How did I miss that? :lol

It's only his fourth post too!

Top Bottom