• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckman on the benefits of PS5's SSD

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Sure if talking shit about games you don't own or have any interest in makes you feel better

The tech benefits will get better the more the developers optimize around the hardware

Will have a PS5 in its first year. That ssd is 50 times faster than the hdd in PS4. If the dude talking about ants and extreme tree bark detail because of this ssd then I better see it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's all I personally care about; it's honestly one of the reasons I avoid console gaming at times.

I'm an impatient man.

geordiemp

So this generation
CPU Jaguar to Zen = about an 8 x increase in power, 16 SMT so much faster, so much more IPC.
GPU - 2 to 10 TF - 5 x more
RAM Memory = 2 x more

If anyone thinks 16 GB is enough and fast SSD will be just for loading, then I dont know what to say. RAM is a tiny gen jump, we are going from 1080p to 4K with higher assets, more enemies, more animations, fancy lighting and illumination......

No 16 GB does not cut it, stuff will be streaming everywhere, all the time.

I can´t wait to see what the wizards at ND can do with the PS5.

I know! It's funny that the Last of Us 2 already just looks real and nearly (Obviously not exactly but pretty close, I'd argue possibly better than Toy Story 1 and 2 at least.) at the level of a pixar movie running in real time. I can't even fathom how much better the next game will look. At the moment it makes no sense to me, like contemplating the vastness of space haha.

SleepDoctor

Banned
No shit. Anyone with common sense already knew it was faster loading times. Nothing else.

I remember before the Sony event it was "bye loading times" or "no more loading times". The event came and there's loading times. Goal posts have moved of course.

MacReady13

I remember the days of playing games on cartridges. That had no loading and it was glorious! I can't understand why so many seem so excited by this when it was what I grew up with!

cryogenic7

Stop with this hate, TLoU2 hat no agenda - something you would know if you'd take the time to play the game.
No agenda? lol

There is no need to have homosexual relationships in a video game other than to normalize it. It is only there for an agenda. There is no need to have a tranny character either, that is only there for an agenda.

No agenda? lol

There is no need to have homosexual relationships in a video game other than to normalize it. It is only there for an agenda. There is no need to have a tranny character either, that is only there for an agenda.

I do not understand your argument.

Why limit your rationale to video games? We could criticize other story telling mediums like books and movies for doing the same thing. And what about non-fictional characters? I suppose we should not have stories about important historic figures like Alan Turing and Sir Francis Bacon lest we ruffle the delicate sensibilities of people like yourself?

Or are you saying that if a story has such characters in them, it becomes inherently contrived?

Homosexuals represent about 4% of the US population. Communities of refuge probably have significantly higher proportions. Meanwhile, real life tyrants like Putin demonize homosexuality in order to maintain and enhance their power. Under Hitler, thousands of homosexuals were imprisoned and/or murdered. Add that to millions more Jews and Slavs who were exterminated by the Nazis. If we cannot legitimize alienated characters and historical figures, are we not contributing to this prejudice?

And why does a writer suddenly become suspect if they find such characters useful for the story they want to tell? Are you afraid that if such people are legitimized, that more people will ‘turn homosexual’? Maybe instead we will all become a bit more civil?

I thought the characters served this story of love, violence, and self-destruction well. Ellie’s homosexuality was already suggested in the previous story, and TLOU2 just carried it forward instead of contriving something awkward so as to be more appealing. The trans character helped illustrate the violent intolerance of the Seraphite cult, so again, it serves the story.

I suppose some people would rather art just reinforce their own prejudices, instead of challenging their preconceptions.

Alan Turing was an early computer theorist. He saved millions of lives by shortening WWII with his key contributions to cracking Nazi encryption. Unfortunately, he was persecuted after the war for being a homosexual. We will be forever indebted to him.

Grinchy

Banned
I remember the days of playing games on cartridges. That had no loading and it was glorious! I can't understand why so many seem so excited by this when it was what I grew up with!

You can't understand why people would be excited for something that you yourself just described as "glorious?"

Last edited:

MacReady13

You can't understand why people would be excited for something that you yourself just described as "glorious?"

I probably should've re-worded what I wrote... I can understand people's excitement who have never experienced this. For people like myself who grew up with zero load times on consoles, this is nothing new and should have been here years ago. Us "oldies" know what zero load times are. It's brilliant! But i'm of the opinion games were better in the old days as well, so who cares what I say! I'd rather play a game than an interactive and shithouse movie with average gameplay segments in between. But that's just me.

Grinchy

Banned
I probably should've re-worded what I wrote... I can understand people's excitement who have never experienced this. For people like myself who grew up with zero load times on consoles, this is nothing new and should have been here years ago. Us "oldies" know what zero load times are. It's brilliant! But i'm of the opinion games were better in the old days as well, so who cares what I say! I'd rather play a game than an interactive and shithouse movie with average gameplay segments in between. But that's just me.
lol I'm just messing around and pointing out the interesting way it was worded, but I also think it's easily worth being excited about for real.

I am an old fart too, so obviously went from cartridges to CDs as well. The return to no loading on the extremely complex systems we have is something to be very excited for IMO. Even if you already experienced it with colored squares on Atari 35 years ago and simple side scrollers in the 90s. Now we're getting damn near CG-level visual quality with almost the same immediacy of sprite-based cartridge games from decades ago. That's a fantastic jump.

It'd be like if technology advanced to the point where we got all of CRT's benefits in flatscreen form. The fact that they existed in the 90s in a 200 pound monstrosity doesn't take away from it being great to have it again in a 10 pound and one inch thick OLED.

notseqi

No 16 GB does not cut it, stuff will be streaming everywhere, all the time.
Wat. 16GB in my computer are currently still underutilized, even while the System and Browser take up a lot of it. They managed to shrink the PS3-OS to 50MB, I think they'll be fine.

geordiemp

Wat. 16GB in my computer are currently still underutilized, even while the System and Browser take up a lot of it. They managed to shrink the PS3-OS to 50MB, I think they'll be fine.

We dont know OS for Ps5 yet

Your 16 GB is what exactly is that RAM or VRAM ? Or is that your total.

Thought so.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
16GB on consoles is a joke.

With that you'll only manage 4K 30fps or 1080/1440p 60-120fps.

The ideal amount would be 24GB. 3GB for OS. 13GB for CPU and 8GB for VRAM.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
16GB on consoles is a joke.

With that you'll only manage 4K 30fps or 1080/1440p 60-120fps.

The ideal amount would be 24GB. 3GB for OS. 13GB for CPU and 8GB for VRAM.

24GB with a standard HDD? That would be terrible.

24GB could work for a console, but then that would make the console far more expensive.

geordiemp

You know what, I did forget about VRAM. Still wouldn't worry about it.

So for 4k high res textures you need 10 GB VRAM, maybe up to 11 in some games seen already. Your have 16 GB of RAM.

So your saying that your 26 GB is OK for current gen games, What about next 7 years...?

Consoles will have to rely on streaming, so its like having 13 GB VRAM and 100 GB DDR3 for ps5. IO on Ps5 at 9 Gbs and probably higher with oodle texture + Kraken is serious back up to VRAM.

PCs either add fast NVMe SSD and hope MS improves windows APIs or stuff a load of RAM on there...

Last edited:

MacReady13

lol I'm just messing around and pointing out the interesting way it was worded, but I also think it's easily worth being excited about for real.

I am an old fart too, so obviously went from cartridges to CDs as well. The return to no loading on the extremely complex systems we have is something to be very excited for IMO. Even if you already experienced it with colored squares on Atari 35 years ago and simple side scrollers in the 90s. Now we're getting damn near CG-level visual quality with almost the same immediacy of sprite-based cartridge games from decades ago. That's a fantastic jump.

It'd be like if technology advanced to the point where we got all of CRT's benefits in flatscreen form. The fact that they existed in the 90s in a 200 pound monstrosity doesn't take away from it being great to have it again in a 10 pound and one inch thick OLED.

100%. I'm excited to go back to gaming with zero or next to zero load times! Great development for console gaming today. Hopefully means there is less talk about streaming games being a permanent in the console space.

Top Bottom