• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythologies - February 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

The novelist Neil Gaiman has been fascinated by Norse mythology since he was a boy. When he was about 7, he read Jack Kirby’s comic “The Mighty Thor,” about the hammer-wielding Nordic god. He moved on to Roger Lancelyn Green’s “Myths of the Norsemen,” which he read it over and over until the book fell apart.

So when an editor from W. W. Norton asked if he would be interested in writing a book about Norse mythology, Mr. Gaiman was wildly enthusiastic.

“To get the opportunity to retell the myths and poems we have inherited from the Norse was almost too good to be true,” Mr. Gaiman said in a statement released by his publisher. “I hope the scholarship is good, but much more than that, I hope that I have retold stories that read like the real thing: sometimes profound, sometimes funny, sometimes heroic, sometimes dark, and always inevitable.”

Mr. Gaiman’s forthcoming book “Norse Mythology,” which Norton will publish next February, is an almost novelistic retelling of famous myths about the gods of Asgard. The book will explore the nine Norse worlds, which are populated by elves, fire demons, the Vanir gods, humans, dwarves, giants and the dead. There are ice giants and elves, familiar deities like Thor, Odin (the wise and occasionally vengeful highest god) and Loki (the giant trickster), and a frightening doomsday scenario, Ragnarok, where the gods fight a fire giant with a flaming sword in an apocalyptic, world-ending battle.

Mr. Gaiman has often drawn on the Norse myths in his own fantasy writing. His hallucinatory fantasy novel “American Gods” features a character based on Odin. In his children’s book “Odd and the Frost Giants,” a young boy encounters a fox, an eagle and a bear who turn out to be Loki, Odin and Thor.

“Those Norse tales have accompanied me through pretty much everything I’ve done,” he said. “They ran like a vein of silver through Sandman, they were the bedrock of American Gods.

From the Amazon.com Blurb :

Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he turns his attention back to the source, presenting a bravura rendition of the great northern tales. In Norse Mythology, Gaiman fashions primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds; delves into the exploits of the deities, dwarves, and giants; and culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and the rebirth of a new time and people. Gaiman stays true to the myths while vividly reincarnating Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin’s son, incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki, the son of giants, a trickster and unsurpassable manipulator. From Gaiman’s deft and witty prose emerges the gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to dupe others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again.

This sounds incredible. I'm a fan of both Gaiman and the Norse Mythology and reading a re-telling of it from him will be great.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/30/b...-deep-into-norse-myths-for-new-book.html?_r=0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/039360909X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Wollan

Release is next week. Should be an excellent re-telling of the mythologies.
http://www.neilgaimannorsemythology.com/

7828138-0-norsemythology-3D.png

Alx

Woah, I didn't know about that book. I'm in. I love mythologies, but classic transcription of their stories are sometimes tedious to read. And I love most of Gaiman's work too, especially when they involve legends.

Acosta

I have been out of touch with Gaiman since American gods (which is weird given Sandman is one of my most beloved things ever and I have enjoyed Anansi and American Gods).

Something I should check out?

Alx

I have been out of touch with Gaiman since American gods (which is weird given Sandman is one of my most beloved things ever and I have enjoyed Anansi and American Gods).

I enjoyed the Graveyard Book (a retelling of the Jungle Book but with ghosts).

AndersK

HYPE!!!

Can't wait to read this!

Holy shit yes. I grew up reading the Valhalla Comics (Propably a scandinavian thing) and they blew my mind back in 4th grade. Neil Gaiman plus norse mythology (secretly best mythology) seems to good good to be true.

KUL_valhalla_05-09-_373956a.jpg

valhalla_forside_bind1.jpg

Sorry for the slight derail, i'd just forgotten the sheer badassery on display.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm down.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is pretty good. It mixes the sense of wonder of his children's storytelling with more mature themes.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Holy shit yes. I grew up reading the Valhalla Comics (Propably a scandinavian thing) and they blew my mind back in 4th grade. Neil Gaiman plus norse mythology (secretly best mythology) seems to good good to be true.

It's no secret.

Boem

This predates American Gods and I'm not sure if you're talking about Gaiman works in general or just later releases, but I've been rereading Good Omens because they're starting production on the BBC television adaption soon.

It's written with Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett together (Pratchett of course being one of the all-time giants of his genre, and a huge influence on Gaiman), and if I'm being completely honest I wouldn't rate Good Omens as either Gaiman's or Pratchett's best work, but if you happen to be a an of both authors it's definitely worth a look. It's basically an apocalypse comedy. I've been rereading a lot of Pratchett ever since he passed away not too long ago, but this novel reminded me that I haven't read Gaiman in ages and I wanted to pick up some more of his stuff as well. Definitely wet my appetite for him again. It's fun stuff.

If you don't feel like reading, the BBC also did a radio adaption which was very good. Starred Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz, both from Spaced of course, and that was such perfect casting that I hope they'll just use them for the tv adaption as well. If you happen to be a Pratchett fan - this was the first production done by Narrativia, the production company set up by Terry to protect his work as he knew he was dying, and specifically set up for comic/radio/tv/movie adaptions of his works. It's also the last thing Terry actively contributed on, as he and Gaiman have a cameo in it (recorded when he was already very ill sadly, with both of them sitting in a car in front of Terry's house to record it, with Neil reading Terry's lines to him as he couldn't read anymore at that point). So anyway, that adaption is good as well.

Sorry for derailing this if I did, didn't mean to go on. But it's a book I loved back when I was 15/16, and I'm falling in love with it all over again.

I only read American Gods, and didn't particularly enjoy it, but I'm willing to give this a shot because I dig Norse mythology and my girlfriend loves Gaiman, so if I don't like it I'm sure she'll read it.

Kud Dukan

Strange, I saw this in a Chapters (here in Canada) store last weekend for sale already, so I assumed it was already out. Should have picked up a copy, because it sounds amazing.

anyone know what's the difference here?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/039360909X/ 256pages

https://www.amazon.de/dp/1408886812/ 304 pages

I mean, yes the publisher is different I can see that. But are there differences like artworks?
Different localizations. UK version is Bloomsbury, and US version is Norton. Only differences will be spellings and maybe some different idioms. Not sure about the page numbers, though. Amazon.com says the Norton edition is 304 pages. It lists the same ISBN, so it is the same book. One of them must just be wrong about the number of pages.

Poppy

have they ever done a comic book version of when Thor dressed like a lady to fool that giant or whatever? or when Thor tried to drink out of the drinking horn that held the entire ocean

I've read kevin crossley holland's Norse Myths so I don't see the point of reading this.
Why would he spend his time on this when there is already a great retelling out there?

Maybe he was going through writer's block.

Tizoc

Is Amazon Prime offering the cheapest price? I may just blind buy this as I plan on getting a few gift books for my niece as well.

Has this been translated to English? I'd love to get it.

Elandyll

Banned
Looks like on the same day the graphic Novel
Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire also releases on the same day, also by Neil Gaiman (and ill. By Shane Oakley/ Nick Filardi).

I ordered along with Norse Mythology on title alone lol.

Nice interview from the Guardian which touches upon Gaiman's view of current events and the genesis of this work.

"I like being British. Even when I'm ashamed, I'm fascinated."

Wow, that's...that's legit a really good sum up for me and a lot of people I know right now.

I'd be curious to hear if there's any detailed maps or artwork woven into the writing...debating on getting the physical copy versus ebook.

I don't know if you missed it in the Books thread, or if this was posted before that (dunno the times), but I'd recommend the kindle given it is pure text.

Wollan

Having finished it I thought it was beautiful prose and an easy yet highly intriguing read with bite sized stories.
Though I have only been randomly exposed to the myths, never read through Snorre's Saga, it read like everything was faithfully retold with the original language very much intact.

Veelk

Banned
I hate Neil Gaiman. Reading this book started me off on a mythology binge that I can't see the end of. I just bought like 3 other books on mythology. Norse, Greek, and Celtic. In regards to Norse, it's interesting to learn about the stuff he changed while still remaining true to the myths. Only problem is that, while informative, few have the ability to bring the myths to life and make them fun like he does.

So now I'm just sitting here, reading a bunch of more books, even though I have a staggering backlog already, and I just want him to start a Mythology series where he retells more myths. Not just norse, but Greek and Celtic and Egyption and Japanese and Hindu. Damn him. He writes a single book, and now I want 5 more immediately.

Jackson

I really enjoyed this book. He did an excellent job of retelling Norse Myths for a modern audience.

Also... great cover.

I just picked this up off a recommendation in my Amazon cart; had no idea it was Gaiman's most recent release. I'll have to give it a read. I still need to read Ocean at the End of the Lane (which I just bought, which triggered the recommendation for Norse Mythologies). And I'll probably re-read American Gods before the show drops. I really like Neil Gaiman. Which is convenient, given I need to read three of his books in the next month...

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Have these ever been translated into English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom