• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Jashobeam

dumb question but how the heck do you play with just 1 joycon? I can't get it to work, it just acts as if you are using 2 and holding them vertically even if I turn off the other joycon.

dumb question but how the heck do you play with just 1 joycon? I can't get it to work, it just acts as if you are using 2 and holding them vertically even if I turn off the other joycon.

Don't you need to resync them in the switch controller setting area so each one is registered as single controller?

Tain

So, how bad is the audio delay issue, really?

This is holding me back from buying literally every single title in this collection. I need to know how much of an issue it is!

It's impossible to say how big of a deal it will be to you. It's subtle enough that not everyone will care, and your display will also affect how big of a deal it is when docked.

I've been fine by using the system-wide Controller menu in the home screen. Go there, grab a single joycon, and use the special tiny L+R buttons to get the system to treat a single joycon as a single player.

Jashobeam

Don't you need to resync them in the switch controller setting area so each one is registered as single controller?

I've been fine by using the system-wide Controller menu in the home screen. Go there, grab a single joycon, and use the special tiny L+R buttons to get the system to treat a single joycon as a single player.

thanks that worked, and very easy to setup, I just never noticed that option there.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK - I own Waku Waku 7, KOF 98, and MS3. How are NAM-1975 and Shock Troopers? Also, is World Heroes Perfect any good?

Neff

What are your recomended joy-con grips??

None.

1e4NrF.png

I've tried both sides and they work great. DPs, QCFs, double HCB, 2-in-1s, cancels into supers, you name it, all commands are easy and comfortable. They might be tiny, but the Joy-Cons as is hold up extremely well.

Experien

None.

1e4NrF.png

I've tried both sides and they work great. DPs, QCFs, double HCB, 2-in-1s, cancels into supers, you name it, all commands are easy and comfortable. They might be tiny, but the Joy-Cons as is hold up extremely well.

I actually prefer the right joycon when playing with them. They aren't bad and I don't have tiny hands.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
MS3 is a blast. But man, 1CC seems impossible at the moment. Kudos to people who can do that!

Also, performance in handheld mode is pretty good. Slowdowns during big explosions and boss fights...Was that characteristic of the console or arcade versions?

orborborb

MS3 is a blast. But man, 1CC seems impossible at the moment. Kudos to people who can do that!

Also, performance in handheld mode is pretty good. Slowdowns during big explosions and boss fights...Was that characteristic of the console or arcade versions?

tons of slowdown in the arcade, I'd actually like to play a version with some of that fixed though it would change the difficulty balance significantly

It's impossible to say how big of a deal it will be to you. It's subtle enough that not everyone will care, and your display will also affect how big of a deal it is when docked.

Thanks. I'll probably bite the bullet and buy a couple games this week. If it's not an issue for me, I'll buy the rest.

GDGF

Soothsayer
About to download KoF98 once I stop playing Zelda for the night. Probably going to grab Shock Troopers as well. Loving the Neo Geo selection. Makes me want to comb through old gaming magazines from the machine's early years.

MarkusRJR

None.

1e4NrF.png

Really? I feel like grips are a game changer in terms of comfort. Makes me want to actually use the joycons by themselves. The SL/SR triggers are so bad when using a solo joycon, and I constantly feel myself pressing L/R/ZL/ZR.

Snakeyes

Really? I feel like grips are a game changer in terms of comfort. Makes me want to actually use the joycons by themselves. The SL/SR triggers are so bad when using a solo joycon, and I constantly feel myself pressing L/R/ZL/ZR.

Neo Geo games only use the four face buttons, so the shoulder buttons shouldn't be a problem.

MarkusRJR

Neo Geo games only use the four face buttons, so the shoulder buttons shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, that was more of a general comment. With Neo Geo games you'll still have issues with the L/R/ZL/ZR getting constantly mashed when you use the joycons by themselves. A grip like the one previously quoted made it a lot more comfortable.

Calm Mind

The screenshots for this are looking really good. If they nail the feel of the NES games, I'm going to be having a great time between this and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

rzESQsD.jpg

MnLJ09Q.jpg

xRHg6v5.jpg

HYNAHm1.jpg

Did I miss something? When did Codemasters announce Switch support?

EDIT: LOL

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you like MS3, you will definitely enjoy shock troopers.

I beat MS3 and loved every damn second of it. First time I've ever played a MS game for real (I've put a quarter in a cab once or twice when I was younger). Took me 50 credits ha. I will cut that down. Shock Troopers will be next.

What reason is there to play JP or US? Are the games identical minus language cues?

Unrelated...Neo Geo is insane. I had no idea how awesome some of these other titles were. It's unfortunate how expensive it is to collect for the system proper.

mao2

Don't have a Switch yet but I just wanna chime in and say that Shock Troopers is an awesome top-down shooter, especially if you have someone to play co-op with. Highly recommended if you're into this genre!

Jinroh

It's unfortunate how expensive it is to collect for the system proper.
If you go the MVS route it's much cheaper. That's what I did 10 years ago. And with little modding you can have access to the arcade/home version of each title (as well as the US/JP version as well if I remember correctly, but not sure).

It's not very sexy but it does the job well.

Yeah, MS3 and MS4 turn into pretty insane quarter munchers. If you have the chance to play the other games, they generally have much more even difficulty curves.

The arcade versions had tons of slowdown. MS2 was borderline unplayable at times, and is one of the reasons they remade it (MSX).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you go the MVS route it's much cheaper. That's what I did 10 years ago. And with little modding you can have access to the arcade/home version of each title (as well as the US/JP version as well if I remember correctly, but not sure).

It's not very sexy but it does the job well.

Yeah, I watched a video (Metal Jesus Rocks) where he had a guy on going over Neo Geo collecting. Seemed like MVS was the way to go if you just want to play the games and don't about how sexy they look. Are there still crazy expensive titles in that realm of collecting?

Shinriji

Yeah, I watched a video (Metal Jesus Rocks) where he had a guy on going over Neo Geo collecting. Seemed like MVS was the way to go if you just want to play the games and don't about how sexy they look. Are there still crazy expensive titles in that realm of collecting?

Some late titles will cost you a pretty penny (like Matrimelee, Rage of the Dragons and SNK vs Capcom Chaos). The MVS problem is that most part of the MVS that you will find nowadays are old, beat up games or counterfeit copies, prone to several glitches. The legit copies, with the artwork, decals and all that stuff, will cost you an arm and a leg (but not even close to the minefield of AES collection)

I went with Neo Geo CD collecting myself. It has its own issues (loading times, mostly), but won't break the bank, most games are very easy to find and the CD soundtracks and extras of the NGCD versions are amazing for the most part.

It's great that we already know a bunch of upcoming Neo Geo games for Switch. Nothing stops this Hamster wheel!

Edit: Here's all 54 of the Neo Geo games on Wii VC in NA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Neo_Geo

Wonder which ones are on Switch but not Wii. I think Waku Waku 7 is one.

This post sucks... Only because it reminds me of how awesome the Wii VC is, and how the 3DS / Wii U ones paled in comparison.

I hope the Switch can reach Wii levels of VC glory. All this Neo Geo action seems like a great first step, though.

ToD_

Do these allow you to switch to AES mode? If MVS only, is there a coin limit? No way to enter practice mode for KOF games?

robot

Do these allow you to switch to AES mode? If MVS only, is there a coin limit? No way to enter practice mode for KOF games?

MVS only - US or Japan versions, a hi-score mode and caravan mode. All the standard Arcade Archive options and stuff. There's a coin button so it's unlimited.

This is based off of Waku Waku 7 but I'm betting it's the same for all games.

I figure for any of the bugs and/or improvements that have been discussed to have a shot of actually happening, getting it all in a concise and easy to follow place then linking Hamster to it is the best bet. Maybe with even some light translation if anyone is able/willing would be super helpful. Here is a quick and dirty pass that I will improve as I have time. Please further detail or let me know anything I am overlooking.

To be clear to anyone wandering in, personally I don't find any of the below as a major barrier to not consider getting these games so please don't interpret it as shit's busted.

Straight Up Bugs
  • Sound Delay -- Video demonstration would be aces, will see what I can do
  • Autofire -- Still unclear if this is an actual bug or working as intended. Will investigate.
  • Excessive Slowdown -- This one is difficult to demonstrate and unlikely to be improved so focusing on excessive slowdown problems not originally present will be the most productive. If you know of a particular section or boss fight let me know.
  • Anything else?
Would Be Cool
  • BIOS Switch - Ability to flip between MVS and AES (assuming some weird licensing thing or whatever isn't holding this up somehow)
  • Continues - Ability to set number of continues rather than just on/off
  • Scanlines -- Configure the post processing blur and scanlines independently.
  • More? (Note: trying to keep these as focused and grounded as possible. Yes, there are all sorts of cool stuff in the greater possibility space, but try to be realistic with any suggestions, please.)

MVS only - US or Japan versions, a hi-score mode and caravan mode. All the standard Arcade Archive options and stuff. There's a coin button so it's unlimited.

I have most of them and it's the same.

I figure for any of the bugs and/or improvements that have been discussed to have a shot of actually happening, getting it all in a concise and easy to follow place then linking Hamster to it is the best bet. Maybe with even some light translation if anyone is able/willing would be super helpful. Here is a quick and dirty pass that I will improve as I have time. Please further detail or let me know anything I am overlooking.

To be clear to anyone wandering in, personally I don't find any of the below as a major barrier to not consider getting these games so please don't interpret it as shit's busted.

Straight Up Bugs
  • Sound Delay -- Video demonstration would be aces, will see what I can do
  • Autofire -- Still unclear if this is an actual bug or working as intended. Will investigate.
  • Excessive Slowdown -- This one is difficult to demonstrate and unlikely to be improved so focusing on excessive slowdown problems not originally present will be the most productive. If you know of a particular section or boss fight let me know.
  • Anything else?
Would Be Cool
  • BIOS Switch - Ability to flip between MVS and AES (assuming some weird licensing thing or whatever isn't holding this up somehow)
  • Continues - Ability to set number of continues rather than just on/off
  • Scanlines -- Configure the post processing blur and scanlines independently.
  • More? (Note: trying to keep these as focused and grounded as possible. Yes, there are all sorts of cool stuff in the greater possibility space, but try to be realistic with any suggestions, please.)

Maybe allow us to swap between Arcade and Home modes? I know some games added features to the Home mode. For example, Waku Waku 7 has 2 additional playable characters in VS Mode.

On an unrelated note, how does the Interrupt Save work? I haven't gotten it to work properly yet...

ToD_

Thanks for the info. That is disappointing, but I still may grab some for the sake of having portable versions. Hopefully some things get patched in. What's the caravan mode?

Pinky

Banned
Really want to see Fatal Fury: Special, Art of Fighting and Magician Lord find their way onto Switch at some point.

Enk

makes good threads.
I've been steadily buying these over the past few weeks. So far I've got Shock Troopers, World Heroes Perfect, and Waku Waku, and I'm already thinking about just going ahead and grabbing KoF '98, Metal Slug 3, and Nam.

I think the thing that sells me on these is that they've added online leaderboard modes to all of them. Otherwise I would've probably been more hesitant to buy them. I love jumping into a quick session in Shock Troopers just to see if I can push my rank up higher. I really hope to see Blazing Star and Pulstar get put up into the store at some point.

brinstar

This post sucks... Only because it reminds me of how awesome the Wii VC is, and how the 3DS / Wii U ones paled in comparison.

I hope the Switch can reach Wii levels of VC glory. All this Neo Geo action seems like a great first step, though.

They need dat Genesis back, it was a huge hole in the Wii U's line up. I want Dynamite Headdy on my Switch damn it

robot

Thanks for the info. That is disappointing, but I still may grab some for the sake of having portable versions. Hopefully some things get patched in. What's the caravan mode?

Haven't tried it on WW7 but Caravan is traditionally a mode to see how well you score in a specified time limit. It was pretty common for shoot em ups, very odd to see it in a fighting game so I'm curious if it's the same thing.

Maybe allow us to swap between Arcade and Home modes? I know some games added features to the Home mode. For example, Waku Waku 7 has 2 additional playable characters in VS Mode.

On an unrelated note, how does the Interrupt Save work? I haven't gotten it to work properly yet...

I'd love to see something like that included. However, I'm guessing that their emphasis on being "arcade perfect" means they're not interested in perusing it. In addition, this company ports tons of non-Neo Geo games as well that never had a BIOS switch in place, so it might not be worth the effort to them. Guess we'll have to see.

I'm eager for Turf Masters to show up any week now. I almost grabbed it on PS4, but I think it'd make for a great portable game.

Haven't tried it on WW7 but Caravan is traditionally a mode to see how well you score in a specified time limit. It was pretty common for shoot em ups, very odd to see it in a fighting game so I'm curious if it's the same thing.

it is exactly that: https://twitter.com/krokounleashed/status/843909908734996480

I'd love to see something like that included. However, I'm guessing that their emphasis on being "arcade perfect" means they're not interested in perusing it. In addition, this company ports tons of non-Neo Geo games as well that never had a BIOS switch in place, so it might not be worth the effort to them. Guess we'll have to see.

I'm eager for Turf Masters to show up any week now. I almost grabbed it on PS4, but I think it'd make for a great portable game.
Considering they are porting more than just Neo Geo games and on 3 platforms, I doubt they will do anything beyond the arcade version.

Top Bottom