• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

AmyS

Hamster uploaded ACA NEOGEO Last Resort on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1TN5KADIF4

Last Resort is a must-own shmup.

This isn't mine, but still....

Lp586kF.jpg

y5baMDG.jpg

O6XnHgn.jpg

Edit: CVG preview:

W7Sz2lL.jpg

Here's what Electronic Gaming Monthly, GamePro and Diehard GameFan had to say about this game.

up2oryf.jpg

jMCsXby.jpg

1bmNTPS.jpg

sRKdtxO.jpg

And then the actual EGM review in the July 1992 issue actually shits all over the game.

Edit: whoa! I managed to find Video Games & Computer Entertainment's review of Last Resort.

xUhzOKS.jpg
tIeHFFT.jpg

If Pulstar is Neo Geo's R-Type, then Last Resort is Neo Geo's R-Type II, even though Last Resort was released years before Pulstar.

Last Resort is highly detailed, in the same style of R-Type II, but much more colorful and fun to look at. I think Irem was running out of ideas after the first half of R-Type II. Maybe that is why they changed the Super Famicom port, originally to be R-Type II, into Super R-Type. And then under SNK, made Last Resort. I don't know, could be wrong.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So I will start with the first. And after that I will evaluate.\
Thinking to buy it, alongside a beat'em up, for the local split joycon multiplayer.

so, which beat'em up would you suggest, people, taking that into consideration?

StayDead

So I will start with the first. And after that I will evaluate.\
Thinking to buy it, alongside a beat'em up, for the local split joycon multiplayer.

so, which beat'em up would you suggest, people, taking that into consideration?

Garou if it's out. If not, wait for Garou.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Bought Alpha Mission II, have no idea what I'm doing but it looks pretty bad-ass.

joker3782

Neo Member
As someone who hasn't really played any Neo-Geo games other than one of the Metal Slug games (dunno which one, it was a long time ago since I played it), what are the must have Neo-Geo games to get that's currently on the Switch? I would imagine the Metal Slug games are a must have, but what else is there from the selection available right now?

deleted

Haven't been in here for a little bit and suddenly, Garou is releasing next week?
How fantastic is that?!

Truth to be told, I haven't heard too much about the game up to the PS4 release, but visually and from a gameplay standpoint, it seems to be a fighter I'll very much enjoy. I'm in!

As someone who hasn't really played any Neo-Geo games other than one of the Metal Slug games (dunno which one, it was a long time ago since I played it), what are the must have Neo-Geo games to get that's currently on the Switch? I would imagine the Metal Slug games are a must have, but what else is there from the selection available right now?

Untill to this day and outside Metal Slug,

A must: Shock Troopers, Blazing Star and KoF 98 ( or SS4 if you prefer something easier to get in and enjoy thr setting )

sibarraz

Banned

For me, not counting metal slug games.

Kof 98
World Heroes Perfect
Shock Troopers

I don't like Samurai Shodown IV, but lots of people love it, so you should consider it

And next week comes garou, which is arguably the best game made by SNK

I imulse-bought Blazing Star and played it with 1 joycon (just fur fun). And even if I used propably 30 continues, I beat it and had fun. The diverse ships and the shooting mechanic are cool. If you don't care about continues or highscore (yet) it's a fun game for casual players.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Must-buys:

-Metal Slug (1 and/or 3)
-Shock Troopers (1 is better than the sequel, which is also coming to Switch soon)
-Neo Turf Masters
-The King Of Fighters '98

You certainly can't go wrong with anything on the store, though.

Ladekabel

Are there other sports game on NeoGeo that could be ported to Switch besides Neo Turf Master and that baseball game I own on Steam? Something with soccer football or basketball?

Lyte Edge

Are there other sports game on NeoGeo that could be ported to Switch besides Neo Turf Master and that baseball game I own on Steam? Something with soccer football or basketball?

The NeoGeo had:

Baseball: Baseball Stars, Baseball Stars 2, and Super Baseball 2020.
Soccer: Super Sidekicks 1-3 and Ultimate 11.
Basketball: Street Hoop/Dunk Dream (This was made by Data East, not SNK)

One of the best sports games is also the crazy frisbee-pong game Windjammers. Hope that gets a port.

sibarraz

Banned

Super Sidekicks 3 is awesome

Street Hoops is a street basketball game which is awesome, sadly I don't know who owns the rights.

Ladekabel

The NeoGeo had:

One of the best sports games is also the crazy frisbee-pong game Windjammers. Hope that gets a port.

I hope that the basketball and football games make it. I would love being able to play Windjammers on my Switch during breaks in university. I hope the PS4/Vita version makes it over.

purg3

slept with Malkin
The NeoGeo had:

Super Baseball 2020 is one of my favorite sports games of all time. Really hoping that gets added.

Lyte Edge

I hope that the basketball and football games make it. I would love being able to play Windjammers on my Switch during breaks in university. I hope the PS4/Vita version makes it over.

The people doing the PS4/Vita ports of games like Garou and Windjammers are different than Hamster, who is doing NeoGeo MVS ports (albeit with some added options). I do wish that we were at least getting online play with these ACA releases.

And Soccer Brawl!

SNK also made an US football game called Football Frenzy, but it's rather mediocre.

Oh wow, yeah, forgot all about Soccer Brawl. It was basically the soccer equivalent to Super Baseball 2020, right?

Super Baseball 2020 is one of my favorite sports games of all time. Really hoping that gets added.

Yes! Love me super 2020 and Baseball Stars 2. Still my favorite baseball games of all time.

Are you not a big tymer like me?

Was that a Dion Dakis/Chris R NGF reference? No. Please, NO.

Has Hamster mentioned anything about Metal Slug X yet? I think I will make that my second MS game after 3. Also are there any possible advantages to buying the Dreamcast version of Garou as opposed to getting the MVS port on Switch?

Been wanting to play Last Resort for years, art style is so good, will make a great addition to my Switch shmup lineup next to Blazing Star and Alpha Mission.

Vinnk

As for sports games, everyone always forgets Power Spike 2. It's a futuristic Volleyball game in the same vein as Super Baseball 2020.

Tamanator

I finally decided to buy a Neo Geo game for my Switch and grabbed Blazing Stars last night. Having a lot of fun with it, I hope such releases continue weekly for the near future. I'll definitely be buying more of them going forward.

CLEEK

Windjammers was announced a few months ago to be getting a PS4 release. Dunno if it is through Hamster. If it is, then a Switch version is almost certain.

It can be confusing. Garou came out on PS4 and Vita at the start of the year, but it wasn't a Hamster ACA NEOGEO release. Same deal with Last Blade 2.

1upsuper

I picked up Neo Turf Masters last night and this game is so fun. I enjoy golf but I've only played a handful of golf games. This is the best.

Windjammers was announced a few months ago to be getting a PS4 release. Dunno if it is through Hamster. If it is, then a Switch version is almost certain.

It can be confusing. Garou came out on PS4 and Vita at the start of the year, but it wasn't a Hamster ACA NEOGEO release. Same deal with Last Blade 2.
PS4 Windjammers is a remaster by DotEmu. Switch will get the MVS version of Windjammers, but I don't expect it to appear for a while.

I still think Last Blade 2 has a good chance of being released soon-ish.

I'm just curious, but why doesn't SNK do these ports themselves?

More specifically D4 Enterprises who did the Wii VC releases. Guess Hamster felt it's easier doing them on their own. As for SNK, maybe they don't bother with retro stuff in-house, hell how many games do they even make anymore? What else besides King of Fighters XIV do they have now?

Actually, Hamster should totally work with SNK to get KOF14 on Switch. They publish games at retail (though rarely), maybe they can come up with something. SNK's legacy seems to be quite a decent hit on Switch so far.

Hell I'd love to see King of Fighters XI that was on PS2, that'd be a cool addition, even as a premium Arcade Archives eShop release.

Z..

No such thing is set up yet, and also these aren't related to the Neo Geo games on Wii VC because they're by a different company, so the odds of such a thing are like... 0.01%.

Guess I'll be limiting my purchases to Waku Waku 7 and SS4 (button mapping is bugged on Wii version) then.

Understandable, but still a bit ridiculous. We need a universal digital license system in place already, this will only get sillier as time goes on.

AmyS

Why is it when I was younger I always thought the Neo Geo was a handheld? I've only just realised now that it isnt haha.

Well in the late 1990s, there was the Neo Geo Pocket (which had a black & white screen) released in 1998 and it quickly followed by the Neo Geo Pocket Color in 1999.

But the main Neo Geo home console was released in 1990 in Japan, and early 1991 in the U.S. This was based on the exact same hardware as the Neo Geo MVS arcade system that was around in 1990 in both Japan and the U.S.

Top Bottom