• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Are there any good RPGs that have been released? Or SRPGs? Anything mecha related?

The only game on the entire platform with any RPG elements is Crossed Swords. But you are not going to find any traditional console style RPGs as the Neo Geo is an arcade platform which happened to have a home console that received its own versions of those games. Its predominantly fighting games and shooters as those genres were king in the 90s arcades.

Robo Army is a cool beat em up, cannot think of anything strictly "mecha" on the system.

Loona

As for SNK, maybe they don't bother with retro stuff in-house, hell how many games do they even make anymore? What else besides King of Fighters XIV do they have now?

SNK has 2 primary teams, one that's worked on KoF XIV, and might be working on something else yet to be revealed, and a 2nd team that handles mobile stuff, that's been applying updates to Metal Slug Attack, and announced a new mobile game "Kimi wa Hero/You Are The Hero".

Are there any good RPGs that have been released? Or SRPGs? Anything mecha related?

The most mecha things they've worked on are Metal Slug, especially the later games, there's Robo Army, and collateral aspects in other games, like how in King of the Monster 2 you can control a giant robotic ape, Cyber Woo, or cyborgs like Maxima in KoF.

OmegaDL50

The odds are Bust a Move releasing as part as some SNK / Neo-Geo re-release is entirely up to Square-Enix.

SE bought Taito and by association have control over the Taito IPs as well.

But there is a hori switch fightstick. Holy fuck don't get the dreamcast version at all...

Also Garou is 60% off on PSN for the golden week sale right now if you want to play the game on a platform that has actual fight sticks currently released.

I'll be grabbing it on Switch for sure though. The ACA games look fantastic on the Switch screen.

AmyS

oMgA0mE.jpg

27 years ^^ the rolls royce of consoles Japan Release Date: 26 April 1990

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223548-the-official-neo-geo-thread/page-350

Fulge1973

Banned
Was viewpoint any good? I always thought that 3d crab looked cool.

Very playbale, but very tough (if you play alone, there's also a two-players cooperative play) . It's like a Zaxxon on steroids. It has the best soundtrack available on NEO-GEO games, themes are incredibly groovy. Isometric 3D Bosses are gorgeous. In my personally top 10 games on NEO-GEO.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Wow, wait, what? These are NOT the AES versions? Oo
Wtf were they thinking? Oo

You can remap the buttons, though, right?
it's not a big deal for most people.

but yeah .. all neogeo games on the switch have no aes mode,

i like to zone out and play training mode for hours.
so it's a big meh in my eyes.

but then again.. if you never played this game you should get it on switch.
is garou on vita?

if yes? that is the best version

Wow, wait, what? These are NOT the AES versions? Oo
Wtf were they thinking? Oo

Its part of Hamsters "Arcade Archives" line so understandable that these are not the AES versions. The funny thing is that all the code for the AES versions is in the rom but without a unibios you cant access it.

Z..

it's not a big deal for most people.

but yeah .. all neogeo games on the switch have no aes mode,

i like to zone out and play training mode for hours.
so it's a big meh in my eyes.

but then again.. if you never played this game you should get it on switch.
is garou on vita?

if yes? that is the best version
Same for training mode. Shame...

It is. But the Vita/PS4 version feels off. 360 is still the best version available, it seems.

Also, button mapping? Default placement flatout does not work for some games, is why I ask.

Its part of Hamsters "Arcade Archives" line so understandable that these are not the AES versions. The funny thing is that all the code for the AES versions is in the rom but without a unibios you cant access it.

What makes it weird is precisely that it's the same rom. Why eliminate the options if they're already there? Very stupid decision.

is windjammers also ok ?

That's being done by dotemu though so pray its not as bad as the other neogeo games they have ported to other systems so far.

What makes it weird is precisely that it's the same rom. Why eliminate the options if they're already there? Very stupid decision.

But the options are only there if you use a hacked bios, this stuff was never meant to be accessed by users. And you also cannot presume that the home and arcade versions come under the same license to be put out together like that.

Z..

But the options are only there if you use a hacked bios, this stuff was never meant to be accessed by users. And you also cannot presume that the home and arcade versions come under the same license to be put out together like that.

I'm going to assume that is not an issue at all considering how this was handled in the humble bundle releases. 2 different licenses and they sell the games for 4€ a pop? Can't be.

Never meant to be accessed by users is meaningless considering it's perfectly legal to do so since the information is contained in the ROM.

My point is merely that this was a very stupid decision, and one that essentially translates to less sales. I now have no reason to buy anything other than Waku Waku 7. I'd be buying most of these if they were/had access to the AES versions, but why bother if I have superior versions available elsewhere...

Also, button mapping available? Anyone?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree. It has such a modern timeless design. If it'd be released today it would fit right in and be considered a great design. Mega drive and snes can't say the same thing.
This is demonstrably false look at the EU/Japan version of the Snes and say that again.

This is demonstrably false look at the EU/Japan version of the Snes and say that again.
I'm from the EU. I LOVE the mega drive and snes designs but to me they'd be seen as completely retro designs if released today (specially the md). The neo geo, however, with its monolithic, rectangular and minimal design would just fit right in, it's timeless. And the controllers too, damn sexy. I wish I had one :(

Sapiens

I think the guys at EGM that rated Last Resort so poorly were on crack.

And that meg discrepancy?

That's a legit good score for side pocket though. That game was my jam and probably got my puberty started earlier than it should have.

Reading those old reviews just gives me the impression that the EGM crew were a bunch of iroc driving basement-trolls with mullets.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So we had some friends over this weekend. While the wives were outside, me and the husband played some Metal Slug 3. I forgot that the final stage is SO damn long. Whatever the case, we had fun. I knew that we would use a boat load of credits, but being able to play and laugh at the absurdity was pretty fantastic.

I need to pick up Over Top. Looks super fun.

That's a legit good score for side pocket though. That game was my jam and probably got my puberty started earlier than it should have.

Reading those old reviews just gives me the impression that the EGM crew were a bunch of iroc driving basement-trolls with mullets.

Completely unrelated....Are there scans of this shit available online? I LOVE reading old reviews. It just has a super nostalgic fun factor associated with it.

Fulge1973

Banned
Last Resort is a good game, with great atmosphere and fantastic background
but Pulsar and Blazing Star (or R-Type) are far better (but LR was the first horizontal Shoot'em Up ever made for the Neo Geo so it's understandable).

EricB

It is. But the Vita/PS4 version feels off. 360 is still the best version available, it seems.

How so? Can you decribe this "off"ness, as this is the first I've heard of it.

The Vita version (which is crossbuy with PS4) is pretty awesome (except online apparently), and you get to use the Vita dpad. I've been thinking of picking up the Switch version anyway, but I've really been enjoying it on Vita and will probably continue to play it there just for the better form factor (in this case).

Sapiens

So we had some friends over this weekend. While the wives were outside, me and the husband played some Metal Slug 3. I forgot that the final stage is SO damn long. Whatever the case, we had fun. I knew that we would use a boat load of credits, but being able to play and laugh at the absurdity was pretty fantastic.

I need to pick up Over Top. Looks super fun.

Completely unrelated....Are there scans of this shit available online? I LOVE reading old reviews. It just has a super nostalgic fun factor associated with it.

There used to be a site called retromags that hosted a lot of scans. I actually have a local archive of these things for a good chunk of the 90s myself. If the current scan poster doesn't have something, I might not either, but if you're looking for something, I can always try to dig it up too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There used to be a site called retromags that hosted a lot of scans. I actually have a local archive of these things for a good chunk of the 90s myself. If the current scan poster doesn't have something, I might not either, but if you're looking for something, I can always try to dig it up too.

I just checked that site...Looks like a bunch of stuff is gone?

And that above post is glorious!!

It says in that one link that inputs are delayed...that's a huge no no for a fighting game.

I own the game on AES, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox 360 and PS4. And soon on Switch. Really DC is trash in every way possible. Delayed inputs, some input don't even work, strange loading times and weird sound bugs.

Top Bottom