• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Man, don't understand how Shock Troopers 2nd squad dropped the ball so much, the first one is amazing and looks more like a late NG title than its sequel...

Also, as most of you know by now, I can't post in this thread without mentioning:

HEY HAMSTER,

NEO DRIF OUT now, c'mon!

You know you want to, it's even a proper Arcade Archives release since it never got an AES version.
NGCD? What's that?
edit:
Really hope it's not licensing issues (Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi..) holding it back because I hardly see it being worth it for Hamster if that's the case. This is one of the finest 2D Racing Games ever, definitely a top NG title too, would be a shame. Sigh.

japtor

Do these require an online connection to run? I haven't tried away from home much but the times I've tried I had to connect to friends' wifi to start the games. I assume it's for leaderboards or whatever but is there a way to just skip that?

rudger

Do these require an online connection to run? I haven't tried away from home much but the times I've tried I had to connect to friends' wifi to start the games. I assume it's for leaderboards or whatever but is there a way to just skip that?

I definitely played Samurai Showdown on the go. No way I was online in a trapped subway car.

The games have sometimes hung at the start menu for me (after selecting language etc) and it eventually pops up saying it couldn't connect, but selecting 'cancel' allows you to move on to play offline.

Jinroh

Yeah go with the first one. The third one is just too long and frustrating in terms of difficulty, it's better if you play it after you played 1 and 2/X.

Coda

Really hoping we get more bizarre titles soon, it seems like a lot of these picks are too safe and not that interesting.

Neo Geo games I'd love to see added are:
-Twinkle Star Sprites
-Mutation Nation
-Top Hunter – Roddy & Cathy
-Sengoku 3
-King of Monsters 2

Timu

Really hoping we get more bizarre titles soon, it seems like a lot of these picks are too safe and not that interesting.

-Twinkle Star Sprites
-Mutation Nation
-Sengoku 3
-King of Monsters 2
Good luck with some of these!

firenze

Good luck with some of these!

I wouldn't be too surprised to see any on that list. They're all SNK-controlled IP, and 4 of the 5 have been released on Wii VC: King of the Monsters 2 (JP only), Sengoku 3, Top Hunter, and Twinkle Star Sprites (JP only). Mutation Nation wouldn't be shocking, seeing as how it's an SNK game.

Aside from Virtual Console, Top Hunter was on the SNK Arcade Classics collection, TSS has been ported a ton to a variety of platforms, etc...

But yeah, Robo Army! As far as weird games, Nightmare in the Dark would also be phenomenal.

Fiendcode

What are the chances of Hamster releasing Neo Bomberman? I imagine they don't have the rights to Hudson games.
They're already working with Konami on regular ACA so Hudson's Neo Geo games (Panic Bomber, Neo Bomberman, FEOE Kabuki Klash) might be fair game.

Also, as most of you know by now, I can't post in this thread without mentioning:

HEY HAMSTER,

NEO DRIF OUT now, c'mon!

You know you want to, it's even a proper Arcade Archives release since it never got an AES version.
NGCD? What's that?
edit:
Really hope it's not licensing issues (Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi..) holding it back because I hardly see it being worth it for Hamster if that's the case. This is one of the finest 2D Racing Games ever, definitely a top NG title too, would be a shame. Sigh.
Hamster would need to sign Visco first.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Pulstar was just released on PS4. Hope this will come to Switch soon as well. My ACA Neo Geo collection on Switch consists basically of all the STGs they released.

mao2

Metal Slug 2 for Switch, Pulstar for PS4 and XBO for this week.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201707/05136996.html

-Twinkle Star Sprites
-Mutation Nation
-Sengoku 3
-King of Monsters 2
Top Hunter was my first game on Neo Geo CD, definitely would love to play it again. Also, if you have a PS4, you can get ADK Damashii (PS2 Classics) which includes Twinkle Star Sprites and other ADK games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABRMQ3PZZBQ

I forgot how bad the slowdown gets in MS2. I haven't played it in such a long time, but remembered it was bad at points. I forgot that the game basically ground to a halt if you had the Heavy Machine Gun.

Someone should get DF to compare 2 and X.

Peltz

Holy crap is Metal Slug 2 slow. I've never had this much problem with slowdowns before this game.

No kidding. It's always been that way which was why Metal Slug X was such a big deal when it released with less slowdown.

Believe it or not, MS2 has a programming bug which artificially caused more slowdown than was necessary. It's insane that such a high quality release came out in such a shoddy state back then.

-Twinkle Star Sprites
-Mutation Nation
-Sengoku 3
-King of Monsters 2

Twinkle Star Sprites would be the best! I had it on Dreamcast back in the day. My friend accidentally yanked on the controller and pulled the Dreamcast off of the shelf with TSS inside. It was scratched beyond repair!

Sapiens

Holy crap is Metal Slug 2 slow. I've never had this much problem with slowdowns before this game.
The neo geo station version on Ps3 has a toggle that overclocks the game and it runs much much better. That was m2 though. They know what they are doing.

Ms2>msx btw.

These hamster releases are really not to my liking.

Moofers

Sadly that one falls under Sega now so probably no chance. Same for Matrimelee.

Martimelee has such an amazing OST. Plus the backgrounds were tailored to the songs! After seeing a hundred ports of Metal Slug and KOF over the years, a Matrimelee port is something I'd actually get excited about.

firenze

I'm not sure the rights to Matrimelee actually are with Atlus/Sega. Atlus did originally have the Power Instinct series, but AFAIK Noise Factory licensed full rights to Matrimelee when they developed it (seems to be supported by http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Instinct_Matrimelee), and it was published by Playmore for the original Neo release. Even weirder was when they released the port (basically a slightly updated "version 1.5" type release, addition of a few old Power Instinct characters but with some removals like the RotD characters) on PS2 in Japan - that one was again developed by Noise Factory, but published by Excite. Excite as in the company most famous for the web search engine that was popular in the late 90s.

Though, the 2009 Goketsuji Ichizoku Matsuri Senzo Kuyou seems to be published by Atlus, as does the 2010 pachinko machine. Not sure what that means for Matrimelee in particular though.

At any rate, it's certainly possible that convoluted nature of the IP ownership situation might be an issue for Hamster. Who knows though, could be something the current SNK has the ability to license, or that Sega/Atlus owns and is OK licensing out to make some easy money.

How is the emulation handled? Do the games run well?

Also what's the overall best ones to get? I love pretty much all the Neo geo classics and fighting games.

Top Bottom