• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Oddduck

How is the emulation handled? Do the games run well?

Also what's the overall best ones to get? I love pretty much all the Neo geo classics and fighting games.

Based on the games currently available, I believe these are the must-haves so far.

Metal Slug 1 + Metal Slug 3
Blazing Star
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The King of Fighters '98
Magical Drop II
Neo Turf Masters
Shock Troopers (the first one)

Honorable mentions:

Waku Waku 7
Samurai Shodown IV
Last Resort
The King of Fighters '99

Also, Fatal Fury Special is releasing this week if you're interested in that.

Based on the games currently available, I believe these are the must-haves so far.

Metal Slug 1 + Metal Slug 3
Blazing Star
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The King of Fighters '98
Magical Drop II
Neo Turf Masters
Shock Troopers (the first one)

Honorable mentions:

Waku Waku 7
Samurai Shodown IV
Last Resort
The King of Fighters '99

Also, Fatal Fury Special is releasing this week if you're interested in that.

Thank you sir.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so I already have games in my mind to get for Neo Geo games, but which ones have perfect/good emulation and which ones have bad/poor emulation? I wanna get Garou for instance, but I heard it has sprite and lighting problems.

Dremorak

Banned
so I already have games in my mind to get for Neo Geo games, but which ones have perfect/good emulation and which ones have bad/poor emulation? I wanna get Garou for instance, but I heard it has sprite and lighting problems.

I've never played the original at all, but it looks and plays fine to me.

I really really hope Metal Slug X is coming soon. The problems on 2 are really bad for me. And I'm the kind of guy who normally doesn't mind a few slowdowns in Metal Slug!

EDIT: Seriously it's really bad.

Guys I would really, really not recommend buying Metal Slug 2. Selling Metal Slug 2 without some sort of option to overclock the Neo Geo CPU or something (look up videos about it) or some option to fix the slowdown is basically like selling a broken game. I would definitely wait for X.

Opa-Pa

I actually find it kinda shitty that they keep re-releasing MS2 at all considering X literally existd because the original release was broken and was kinda barenones... Especially if they'll include X in the same line of releases lol, feels like they only do it to get fans to double dip.

There's 0 value in MS2 outside of some sort of preservation, I guess.

cwistofu

Guys I would really, really not recommend buying Metal Slug 2. Selling Metal Slug 2 without some sort of option to overclock the Neo Geo CPU or something (look up videos about it) or some option to fix the slowdown is basically like selling a broken game. I would definitely wait for X.
Glad I popped in here before dropping money on it. Are MS1 and 3 good ports? or also bad?

Glad I popped in here before dropping money on it. Are MS1 and 3 good ports? or also bad?

The emulator used in these releases seems fine its just that Metal Slug 2 was broken from the get go in the arcade. The game pretty much runs with heavy slowdown for near 100% of the game. Metal Slug X is basically the fixed version of Metal Slug 2, and I would advise waiting for that release.

ubiblu

Alpha Mission 2 is the worst shmup I've ever played, and I've played several dozen. Complete waste of money and I'll never download it again.

Opa-Pa

Alpha Mission 2 is the worst shmup I've ever played, and I've played several dozen. Complete waste of money and I'll never download it again.

Damn, what's so bad about it? I've never played it and have it on my wishlist haha.

I've been trying to play Last Resort but I'm so bad at it lol, I can't make it past the first boss... And I swear I'm decent at the genre. Love the tone of the game though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I actually find it kinda shitty that they keep re-releasing MS2 at all considering X literally existd because the original release was broken and was kinda barenones... Especially if they'll include X in the same line of releases lol, feels like they only do it to get fans to double dip.

There's 0 value in MS2 outside of some sort of preservation, I guess.

I think MS2 is much better than X, especially the bosses, but I'm weird like that. :)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
You shut your dirty mouth. Game is hard as shit if you die without a [K] or descent armou, but game is great in co-op and that music is godly.

galvatron

have you tried the fan hack to fix slowdown? probably thr optimal ms2 experience, I'd imagine

Yeah, as much as I like how bonkers MS3 gets in terms of artwork and that last stage, MS2 without slowdown is possibly the best designed Metal Slug. MSX comes off as "Metal Slug for super players" in terms of getting extra challenge by making changes that screw with you if you've played MS2 before.

Really looking for a puzzle game on the switch, and not looking to spend the money for puyo puyo Tetris. Is magical drop II a solid game? I have no experience with the series

Really looking for a puzzle game on the switch, and not looking to spend the money for puyo puyo Tetris. Is magical drop II a solid game? I have no experience with the series

Magical Drop 2 is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. I have it on my Neo Geo MVS. 100% recommended. There have been nights where a friend and I played it for 6 hours straight.

I bought Magical Drop 2 on a whim and its faaaaaaaaaaantastic. Highly recommend it.

Pro tip: play in Japanese for an extra puzzle mode that isn't in the English rom (you don't need to buy the Japanese eShop version for this)

japtor

Yeah it's awesome, I kinda consider it a manic puzzler, if that's a thing. Like you can go fast in whatever puzzle games when you're good, but the neat thing about Magical Drop is that it's pretty easy to go fast off the bat.

I played it before way back in emulators but what made me appreciate it was playing it at a (mostly) shmup meet a few years ago vs other people there. It felt like it was insanely fast (enhanced by the noise of clicky sticks) even though I'd never really played it like that (or all that much) before. The relative simplicity allows a level of speed/intensity that makes it feel like a different beast from other puzzle games personally.

Speaking of puzzle games, any chance of Money Puzzle Exchanger? (It's like Magical Drop...but makes my brain explode)

orioto

Good Art™
So i bought Magical drop 2 as my first NEOGEO game on Switch!

Damn this is hard.. I mean against the cpu, after 4-5 battls, you lose in 20 seconds if you're not directly super quick..

Now about the general presentation i was a little disappointed. I mean that whole ui, the mode change, the reboot.. Looks super pcish and messy!

But i was especially disappointed by the iq. the scanlines are cool, but there is no way to have a clean sharp pixel look i guess ? I get that it can't be 1:1 pixel in fullscreen. But point filtering ? At that rez it should be possible to have something not too distorted with not blurry pixels i guess, no ?

Now if you're going for a "tv" look it looks good i guess.

So i bought Magical drop 2 as my first NEOGEO game on Switch!

Damn this is hard.. I mean against the cpu, after 4-5 battls, you lose in 20 seconds if you're not directly super quick..

Now about the general presentation i was a little disappointed. I mean that whole ui, the mode change, the reboot.. Looks super pcish and messy!

But i was especially disappointed by the iq. the scanlines are cool, but there is no way to have a clean sharp pixel look i guess ? I get that it can't be 1:1 pixel in fullscreen. But point filtering ? At that rez it should be possible to have something not too distorted with not blurry pixels i guess, no ?

Now if you're going for a "tv" look it looks good i guess.

The visual filter is on by default. Go into settings, display and turn off the filter (left once to "off").

Also, always turn on "wider screen" or whatever that option is called for ALL Neo Geo games. Gives you a bit of extra real estate on the left and right of the screen that would have been obscured by the cabinet.

I've never played any Metal Slug games. Should I just buy/play 1 through 3 in regular order? Or is a particular entry recommended over the others?

Also, how is Magical Drop different than Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble? Are they related in any way? How do they compare?

Is Magical Drop III considered to be better or worse than II gamplay-wise? I know it's definitely prettier.

I'm curious about this too. Isn't it just II that's on Switch though?

Peltz

have you tried the fan hack to fix slowdown? probably thr optimal ms2 experience, I'd imagine

I actually think using the overclock option in Final Burn Alpha provides the best MS2 experience.

I've never played any Metal Slug games. Should I just buy/play 1 through 3 in regular order? Or is a particular entry recommended over the others?

Yea, regular order. 1>2>x>3

It's often recommended to skip 2 if you can't play a "fixed" version though.

japtor

Also, how is Magical Drop different than Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble? Are they related in any way? How do they compare?
Mechanically it's completely different outside of the general idea of color matching orbs. Basically you pull a color orb (and can keep moving around and pulling as many of the same color as you want afaik), then toss it back up to form 3+ in a row to make them and any color connected orbs disappear. Then there's little powerups to make all of a color disappear or row or whatever.

But as I said before the big difference between Magical Drop and pretty much any other games is how fast it can play, and how easy it is to play fast, vs say Tetris or Puyo where you need more proficiency to play fast, or BaM/PB where you're kind of limited by the left/right direction speed. Once you have the basic mechanic down the game can get crazy fast like no other personally, and it's especially fun against someone else.

The different characters are a nice way to handicap too, as I found out recently when playing my nephew. I kept playing the Fool while he kept moving up the characters one by one until we were on pretty even footing.
I'm curious about this too. Isn't it just II that's on Switch though?
Yeah just MD2 on Switch (for now?), but I asked the same thing earlier in the thread and got this reply:
The generally preferred version is MD3 due to the "magical journey" board game where your performance on a stage determines how many spaces you can move forward on the board. Also, the graphics look a bit nicer and there are some characters with jagged drop patterns, which isn't a thing in MD2.
...course I went ahead and got MD2 anyways and don't mind.

I bought Magical Drop 2 on a whim and its faaaaaaaaaaantastic. Highly recommend it.

Pro tip: play in Japanese for an extra puzzle mode that isn't in the English rom (you don't need to buy the Japanese eShop version for this)

Yeah, it's great. Similar to Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble.

Thanks for the recommendation, I ended up grabbing it earlier today and I'm really enjoying it so far. The mode against the cpu is completely frantic and fun, and the endless mode has such a great background track. This is going to be a great game to play with people in tabletop mode with split joy cons.

orioto

Good Art™
The visual filter is on by default. Go into settings, display and turn off the filter (left once to "off").

Also, always turn on "wider screen" or whatever that option is called for ALL Neo Geo games. Gives you a bit of extra real estate on the left and right of the screen that would have been obscured by the cabinet.

Haaa thx! Indeed, the 00 scanlines mode is blurred, but there is a OFF mode before that. Would be nice to have the sharp mode with the thin scanlines.

Top Bottom