• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo titles coming to Arcade Archives for PS4 in Japan

mollipen

First batch of titles are KOF94, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, Alpha Mission II and Fatal Fury, all of which will be released this year for 823yen each.
https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/3756/20160928-arcadearchives.html

God DAMMIT SNK needs to stop this. Every time, they do this: they start with the initial chapters, then inch along to the ones that people actually want, but they often don't even make it to that point because they give up long before then.

Nobody wants Samurai Shodown. Nobody wants Fatal Fury. And if you do, you're a weirdo and part of the problem. There are enough good games that people actually do want that you've got plenty to release before people get bored.

entremet

God DAMMIT SNK needs to stop this. Every time, they do this: they start with the initial chapters, then inch along to the ones that people actually want, but they often don't even make it to that point because they give up long before then.

Nobody wants Samurai Shodown. Nobody wants Fatal Fury. And if you do, you're a weirdo and part of the problem. There are enough good games that people actually do want that you've got plenty to release before people get bored.

I still prefer SamSho over 2 these days. I prefer the art style and simpler systems.

sibarraz

Banned
No one would buy KOF 94, 95, or 96 after 2000 or 98.
Releasing just 2000 and 98 would be enough.
1 or 2 entries per series, max.

Speak for yourself, 95 is my favorite entry in the neo geo era, 98 is released everywhere, with also the ultimate match versions already including vainilla 98. heck, I still could find it in my local arcades

AmyS

Meh.

I got this last week:

FuxwPH4.jpg

Neff

Japan has a consistent propensity for defining legacy titles, it's the reason these retro collections always seem to start at the beginning, generation after generation. It doesn't seem to quite go that way in the west, who tend to favour a 'bigger, newer and better' sense of expectation, but we're not necessarily who these ports are being targeted at.

mollipen

Japan has a consistent propensity for defining legacy titles, it's the reason these retro collections always seem to start at the beginning, generation after generation. It doesn't seem to quite go that way in the west, who tend to favour a 'bigger, newer and better' sense of expectation, but we're not necessarily who these ports are being targeted at.

I'd have zero problem with them starting here if I knew we were actually then going to get every SamSho, every KOF, every Fatal Fury. That's the problem—SNK has, time after time, given up on these efforts.

Hmm, will Hamster use the M2 NG Station ports, or will they port them themselves?
I hope it's the former, because the current Arcade Archives don't have online play.

Perhaps this is the distinction between SNK releasing something like Metal Slug 3 on it's own versus putting something out under the Arcade Archives banner? Maybe teaming up with Hamster to release some games under the Arcade Archives helps SNK mitigate some of their risk, making re-releasing less popular SNK games more viable for them? Either way, individual digital releases of old games always kind of bums me out. I was hoping Rare Replay would usher in a new era of game compilation discs, but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case...

AmyS

SS Zero (V) Special is the one omission from the Anthology on PS2, PSP and Wii.

That would be nice to have on PS4. It was said SNK Playmore left it out of the anthology since it was the last official Neo Geo game, and they felt they should keep it exclusive.

Tain

I wonder if these releases will be be based on the (now-ded) NeoGeo station release. It's the same selection (minus Magician Lord and Shock Troopers).

I read that infamous video is fake

lol amazing, why would Mihara do that?

Great to hear though, I'm probably gonna binge on Hamster's releases now.

mao2

That would be interesting actually.
In case you didn't know, those titles and many more are still available on PSN. On NA PS Store they're released as PS minis so they're playable on PS3/PSP/Vita. On JP PS Store, they're packaged together as SNK Arcade Classics 0 and is playable on PSP/Vita.

Top Bottom