• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Ryck

Wow just happened to see this thread and just read through the whole thing. Emailed some info to my brother and he already preordered his from Amazon. SO damn tempted right now...

-__-

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just got the following email from Andrew Wang @ Tommo in response to my aspect ratio question:

WOO HOO! Fears (mostly) put to rest!
I wonder if it's 1:1?

Really, I'd rather have answer explaining their decision to go with a 16:9 LCD in the first place.

Shoyz

From the missing FAQ:

What is the plan on allowing customers to play additionalNEOGEO games beyond the 20 included?
Please go to www.neogeox.com for the latest information. The plan is to release other games that will be exclusive to the NEO GEO X format.

"The plan is to release other games that will be exclusive to the NEO GEO X format."

uhmm... meaning all new games? shovelware? indie titles? :D Original Neogeo games are in no way exclusive to this system.

Shoyz

My best guess for what that means is that they have no current plans to release any more NEOGEO games for the system (possibly up to the users to supply roms), but they have plans to release new X-exclusive games on physical carts ala Ninja Masters?

But who knows.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if it's 1:1?

Really, I'd rather have answer explaining their decision to go with a 16:9 LCD in the first place.

Because people are idiots and think a 4:3 screen is old fashioned. And with a TV out they'll need zoom modes anyway for widescreen TVs.

It does ignore the point that said idiots are perhaps not the target market for an expensive, esoteric retro console :p

Galdelico

From the missing FAQ:
What is the plan on allowing customers to play additionalNEOGEO games beyond the 20 included?
Please go to www.neogeox.com for the latest information. The plan is to release other games that will be exclusive to the NEO GEO X format.
Can't believe they really missed the opportunity to just slap the NGX games on PSN/NeoGeo Station as well.
SNKP is so weird as a company.

jbueno

I wonder if the NGDEV team will get their games on this. Can´t be too hard since the games will already be developed with the NeoGeo hardware in mind, I´d figure it would just be a matter of getting a Rom in an SD card or offer it for download in a storefront. At least it would be more accessible than getting the limited Neo carts or Dreamcast discs.

Celine

I wonder if the NGDEV team will get their games on this. Can´t be too hard since the games will already be developed with the NeoGeo hardware in mind, I´d figure it would just be a matter of getting a Rom in an SD card or offer it for download in a storefront. At least it would be more accessible than getting the limited Neo carts or Dreamcast discs.
Limited edition is where the money is for NGDEV is though.
Only for NGDEV old releases that would be worth.

jbueno

I´d be perfectly OK with that really. Even though Dreamcast copies are reasonably priced, I´d love to play some of their older titles on a NeoGeo Gold X through TV out with a Neo Stick.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the A/V out is composite only, or if it has s-video/component.

I'm really interested in this but I'm concerned about playing other games. And I really want hands on feedback from enthusiasts.

DoubleTap

Good news indeed...now we just gotta know if the output to HDTV will also window box.

From the FAQ:

Since the NEOGEO X Docking Station is able to connect to an HDTV, will there be any way to change the display settings on how the game looks on the TV? (such as aspect ratio and HD resolution?)
On the NEOGEO X Handheld, you can change the aspect ratio of the screen between 16:9 and 4:3. The games are in their original format and resolution, not High Definition. On HDMI-compatible TV's, the TV's themselves will usually have the option to switch between 16:9 mode and 4:3 mode.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning on ordering.

Galdelico

On the NEOGEO X Handheld, you can change the aspect ratio of the screen between 16:9 and 4:3. The games are in their original format and resolution, not High Definition. On HDMI-compatible TV's, the TV's themselves will usually have the option to switch between 16:9 mode and 4:3 mode.[/I]
What does it even mean SNKP? That I will be stuck in 16:9, if I may plug the NGX into a 16:9 monitor with no screen ratio selector?

They definitely need to start being clear about the visual settings on this device: they need to say exactly how it works, compared to NeoGeo Station for example.
Will we be able to switch between japanese/western roms? Will scanlines be in there? Dot-by-dot option for those gaming on big-ass TVs?

Give us the specs, SNKP, come on.

@MUWANdo

Banned

You say that as if releasing their games digitally would devalue the cartridges/discs, when the reality is the physical releases only really sell to collectors and resellers anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference.

Ragus

Banned
Am I missing something, or would it just be better for this device to have a standard 4:3 screen? I don't see the point of widescreen in this :/.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
The Neo Geo was the only system to escape my grasp. Looks awesome but $199...........Almost 25 year old games....Man I don't know.

kunonabi

Probably won't be using the TV out feature since there is no s-video support but the machine is tempting nonetheless. It's just a matter of rebuilding my NGPC collection or this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Probably won't be using the TV out feature since there is no s-video support but the machine is tempting nonetheless. It's just a matter of rebuilding my NGPC collection or this.
Screw s-video, I want RGB out with 240p support.

galvatron

They didn't show it, but hey, it could be there at this point?
But it would also skip all the blood and Mai's bounciness in so many games... So, it's pointless. :D

I guess I was thinking full-on UniBIOS level support, like so many neo emulators and my MVS board already have, where you could get into the soft dip and setup the game from there. Not a huge deal, though.

Galdelico

Screw s-video, I want RGB out with 240p support.
And scanlines + dot-by-dot for HD TVs, please.

Btw, emulation doesn't seem as lovely as in M2's games: that 'Option' screen looks actually pretty barebones, apparently we don't have any backgrounds' selection to chose from while playing in 4:3 on 16:9 TVs and (maybe that's just because of YouTube) SamSho and KoF look both kind of choppy, compared to their NeoGeo Station counterparts.

woodypop

What does it even mean SNKP? That I will be stuck in 16:9, if I may plug the NGX into a 16:9 monitor with no screen ratio selector?

They definitely need to start being clear about the visual settings on this device: they need to say exactly how it works, compared to NeoGeo Station for example.
Will we be able to switch between japanese/western roms? Will scanlines be in there? Dot-by-dot option for those gaming on big-ass TVs?

Give us the specs, SNKP, come on.
I'm with you. Puzzling.

RoyalFool

Banned
That videos put me well off, even when playing in 4:3 it's clearly having to stretch the image and when it was output to the TV it seemed very jerky (could be the TV's post processing, but I've played my AES on various modern TVs and never seen it like that).

If you are going to rebuild a luxury item and charge luxury prices for it - at least get the vertical resolution on that screen right so you have the option of 1:1 mapping, I even saw some screen tearing when played on the handheld which will be an issue considering how it uses the on/off flickering for faking transparency effects.

So weird that it's cheaper to use a faster chip and emulate, and a higher resolution screen and scale down - than to reproduce 20 year old hardware and 6 year old visual tech. I figured some factory somewhere would still churn those things out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is probably the coolest novelty item I've ever seen. I love how the console opens up to house the handheld, and how you can then play on your TV with a mock up of the old Neo stick. It's just super cool, and definitely a case where the hardware would sell the hardware, because the vast majority of the games flat out suck.
They'd really have to dig into the Neo library and pull out some of the better games to make this thing worth it, and no one truly knows if it will happen.

strideramc

I ordered one, but what concerns me is the nebulous future of games they are giving for this. I mean one game per card won't be a big deal for 5 bucks, but if they try to charge more then that.

Maybe I just haven't seen an update here, but I am hoping we get more games in the future.

No Twinkle Star Sprites, no sale.

Don't forget other shmups like Pulstar and Blazing Star. Hopefully they'll put effort into the lineup for additional games.

Anyways, a few months ago when this thread first started, I was seriously skeptical and didn't think this would be much better than something along the lines of those Coleco brand GG/Master System portables but this is shaping up to be one seriously good looking and solid device. If the impressions are good and if I have some extra coin in the months after the Wii U launch, I'll probably get one.

Top Bottom