• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Eusis

It's definitely interesting me more, but I wonder if the controller/joystick are USB? It LOOKS like it, but I have a hard time finding a good picture or concrete information, it'd certainly be nice since that should mean a lineup of quality accessories to use either on PC or possibly on the PS3. Doubly nice for the likes of KoFXIII, I'm sure.

From the missing FAQ

Quote:
What is the plan on allowing customers to play additionalNEOGEO games beyond the 20 included?
Please go to www.neogeox.com for the latest information. The plan is to release other games that will be exclusive to the NEO GEO X format.

What? So the lineup of games that comes with the system will be all there is for proper, original SNK titles on this? I really hope Tommo or SNK rethink that, because that's stupid and could be a serious deal breaker.

Lhadatt

What? So the lineup of games that comes with the system will be all there is for proper, original SNK titles on this? I really hope Tommo or SNK rethink that, because that's stupid and could be a serious deal breaker.

I don't think that's what it means. I interpreted that statement as they'll have more releases in line with Ninja Masters -- as in, they will release other classic Neo Geo games for the NGX in cartridge form. It also leaves possibilities open for original titles developed specifically for this system.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Engadget has an excellent hands on:

img7557-1351246678.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/26/neo-geo-x-hands-on/

If there weren't so many important questions still up in the air relating to the game releases and emulation I would be really excited to add this to my Neo Geo collection. I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If there weren't so many important questions still up in the air relating to the game releases and emulation I would be really excited to add this to my Neo Geo collection. I'm going to take a wait and see approach.
I'm right there with you. This plus the close to $500 I'll end up dropping on Wii U just a couple weeks before this comes out makes it hard for me to jump in blindly. I badly want this to be great, so I'll be eagerly anticipating hands on reviews here.

Dave Long

Banned
Timing of release is what's killing me. $200 in the face of WiiU is not something I can do.

For sure though, this seems like a good thing. I want to know what's happening inside the hardware though. Emulation most likely... how good is it?

tuffy

For sure though, this seems like a good thing. I want to know what's happening inside the hardware though. Emulation most likely... how good is it?

And how are we going to get more games? At what rate? And for how much?

I'd be willing to jump on it if the emulation is good enough so long as a more complete library is in the pipeline and it doesn't cost a fortune.

jbueno

Canceled my preorder for this, as much as it pains me I really couldn´t afford it for now. Perhaps a few months down the line.

Yes Boss!

The few people I know (myself included) are riding the "preorder cancel" button. It is nice they are getting the unit to places like Engadget and Gamespot but it really needs to go out to folks who are going to take a close look at this thing...emulation, how it looks on an HDTV, etc. Hopefully we get a more detailed look and comparison to VC/AES in the next few weeks.

At the very least, the little handheld is a must-have, I feel. Just for novelty sake.

jbueno

The few people I know (myself included) are riding the "preorder cancel" button. It is nice they are getting the unit to places like Engadget and Gamespot but it really needs to go out to folks who are going to take a close look at this thing...emulation, how it looks on an HDTV, etc. Hopefully we get a more detailed look and comparison to VC/AES in the next few weeks.

At the very least, the little handheld is a must-have, I feel. Just for novelty sake.

Indeed, I figured NeoGeo VC and PS2 releases of classic Neo titles are already good enough for me, featuring pretty crisp 240p on SDTV which is what I was hoping for this thing to do, but composite output is not something to be excited for. I figure for $200 I´d be better off building/buying a Supergun and get a cheap MVS mobo and some carts.

I'm not loving that D-pad though. We'll see.

A brand new game on the hardware would've sold it to me almost instantly. Chew on that one for awhile...
I agree. They could develop some amazing titles for cheap on this thing. One of the reasons I'm not sold day one on this thing is that there is no talk of bringing out new titles once they exhaust the library. I hope they do though.

Right now it's a neat novelty item.

Galdelico

Found this yesterday (maybe it's old? Sorry if it's already been posted):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhDauiN9qQ&feature=player_embedded

I don't know... Games look poorly emulated, or at least they seem to run kinda bad. What do you think?

Also, the Tommo guy keeps not showing us anything useful about how the system is actually gonna work: judging from all the footage released so far, I would recap:
- there's an option to change from 16:9 to 4:3 on the fly, when you're using the handheld
- there's no visual settings/aspect ratio selector while playing on a TV
- if you play on a fullHD screen, this better have a 4:3/16:9 switch, if not you're forced to play in godawful stretched mode (funny how the guys say it doesn't look too bad... :D)
- if you play on an old CRT, I'd say screen ratio is ok by default, although the dock only has composite AV out, which means crappy IQ
- it seems the whole thing is kinda emulated, but I still have to undersand how exactly it is
- since nothing has been said about it, I think it's fair to believe there won't be visual/regional settings, just like in M2's NeoGeo Station titles

I've never been terribly excited about this system, but the more time passes, the less guilty I feel because I didn't preorder it.

Peagles

I don't know... Games look poorly emulated, or at least they seem to run kinda bad. What do you think?

Also, the Tommo guy keeps not showing us anything useful about how the system is actually gonna work: judging from all the footage released so far, I would recap:
- there's an option to change from 16:9 to 4:3 on the fly, when you're using the handheld
- if you play on a fullHD screen, this better have a 4:3/16:9 switch, if not you're forced to play in godawful stretched mode (funny how the guys say it doesn't look too bad... :D)
- if you play on an old CRT, I'd say screen ratio is ok by default, although the dock only has composite AV out, which means crappy IQ
- it seems the whole thing is kinda emulated, but I still have to undersand how exactly it is
- since nothing has been said about it, I think it's fair to believe there won't be visual/regional settings, just like in M2's NeoGeo Station titles

I've never been terribly excited about this system, but the more time passes, the less guilty I feel because I didn't preorder it.

"Uhh the software itself I believe is being emulated" - Does this guy work there or what?

Another distinct LACK of hearing how the sound is emulated in this video too. I'm suspect now.

Dave Long

Banned
I feel like this was a great idea that has gone terribly wrong, but I guess eventually a true fan will have one and we'll know the truth.

is that soultron?

Ms. Tea

I'm not loving that D-pad though. We'll see.

From the photos and the descriptions, the clicky d-pad looks to be identical to the clicky, microswitched thumbstick on the NeoGeo CD controller (and the NeoGeo Pad for PS2). The PS2 version is my favourite controller for fighting games ever - it's incredibly responsive and accurate. It really is like having an arcade stick on a d-pad. I'm a lot more excited about this now!

I feel like this was a great idea that has gone terribly wrong, but I guess eventually a true fan will have one and we'll know the truth.
The base not doubling for an actual Neo-Geo seems like a big oversight but aside from that I think this is the best retro rebirth console yet.

Dave Long

Banned
It's a great idea. Execution (and more importantly the emulation) is key though. On paper it sounds awesome. If the games don't play right or have sound issues/janky behavior, then is it really so great?

From the photos and the descriptions, the clicky d-pad looks to be identical to the clicky, microswitched thumbstick on the NeoGeo CD controller (and the NeoGeo Pad for PS2). The PS2 version is my favourite controller for fighting games ever - it's incredibly responsive and accurate. It really is like having an arcade stick on a d-pad. I'm a lot more excited about this now!

Doesn't the plastic assembly rub together and degrade over time on the CD controllers?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

Yup. I just can't pre-order this without knowing how well these games are going to be emulated and how much support it will receive. Especially when I own almost everything in the various Neo-Geo Archive compilations (sold off my Neo stuff years back) and can play every single game emulated on my PSP already.

Dave Long

Banned
I'm still rocking the AES with plans to move to MVS some day in the future. I think this device is nifty for what it is, but the Neo was meant to be played with someone next to you. It's an expensive waste to do that with this pseudo-portable if emulation is a failure.

Ms. Tea

Doesn't the plastic assembly rub together and degrade over time on the CD controllers?

It definitely did on the PS2 version. Which is a shame since it's amazing while it works. I guess there's not much hope it's a refined version of the design in the handheld.

It's a great idea. Execution (and more importantly the emulation) is key though. On paper it sounds awesome. If the games don't play right or have sound issues/janky behavior, then is it really so great?

The Engadget hands-on sounds glowing about the emulation though. It seems like the biggest issues are the dock build quality and the simple nature for the handheld OS.

Mlatador

Banned
Just bring the orignal hardware with support for playing roms out = Millions sold easily!

Or just develop a Neo Geo AES Flash Cart = same!

From Engadget

The Neo Geo X Gold bundle consists of a handheld, a dock, an arcade stick and a Neo Geo X game card

So it uses some kind of gaming media? Can we purchase more games for this thing? I'm thinking about canceling my pre-order because up until now we still haven't heard if we can buy more games. $200 for a handheld that can play only 20 games is hard to justify for me.

From Engadget

So it uses some kind of gaming media? Can we purchase more games for this thing? I'm thinking about canceling my pre-order because up until now we still haven't heard if we can buy more games. $200 for a handheld that can play only 20 games is hard to justify for me.

Games will be released on cards so there will be more releases. The cards themselves look like SD cards.

Ramune

It definitely did on the PS2 version. Which is a shame since it's amazing while it works. I guess there's not much hope it's a refined version of the design in the handheld.

The PS3 controller suffers from them same fate. I had my roommate use that one for Rayman while I used a Saturn USB. Darn thing degraded less than a few months after using it. My Neo Geo Pocket on the other hand...if it would still turn on, I'd have no doubt the microswitches in that thing would still work since I got it back in 1999.

RedSquare

If this is aimed at "old school" gamers, why does it only output shitty composite video? RGB or Component would be ideal for my Sony PVM. Guess I'll keep adding to my Wii VC collection.

I noticed some slowdown from the game they were playing. Is that typical to AES games too?

Yeah, some of them had the occasional slowdown.

If this is aimed at "old school" gamers, why does it only output shitty composite video? RGB or Component would be ideal for my Sony PVM. Guess I'll keep adding to my Wii VC collection.

Say what? It outputs HDMI. You can't get higher quality than that.

naib

Not sure how I feel about the guts, but the package is sexy. Doesn't look so expensive anymore.

I'd play Cyber-Lip first. I loved that stupid game.

edit:
Just handheld is $130? I might buy this.

Top Bottom