• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Agent X

It's great to read the comments from Blue Submarine No. 6 as well as the user on Destructoid.

It appears that they've done their homework for giving the user multiple video output options--I'd probably leave it on 4:3 myself. Using the shoulder buttons to switch aspect ratio on the fly reminds me of playing Game Boy/Game Boy Color games on Game Boy Advance, which had similar widescreen stretch options.

I'm somewhat bothered by the lack of game save capabilities, though. The Destructoid poster said that that there's the possibility a firmware update could address this. But, where would the save data go? I guess that it would be in the same flash memory bank that contains the firmware.

Raistlin

Anyone know the HW specs for this?

It will be interesting to see if this gets hacked to run other emu. Could make a really sweet arcade/old console system.

Teknoman

Man I kinda want one now...but I got a NGCD over the summer and a pocket color a few months ago (which is actually a pretty cool system)...so i'm kinda Geo'd out.

Of course that may change if the library ends up being the same as the original system.

So no ability to save? That makes it tough to clear games unless you're godlike.

Where'd thus come from? I read that as not having the ability to use AES style save system to save to removable memory card. Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most of the games not have anything to save anyway? I mean they're mostly shooters and fighters. I don't see a problem. Plus if you're playing Neo Geo, wou must be godlike right;)

Shoyz

Where'd thus come from? I read that as not having the ability to use AES style save system to save to removable memory card. Maybe I'm wrong, but don't most of the games not have anything to save anyway? I mean they're mostly shooters and fighters. I don't see a problem. Plus if you're playing Neo Geo, wou must be godlike right;)

Isn't high-scores half the fun of arcade games?

d0c_zaius

man this is super lame. no confirmation on my best buy preorder I placed at the beginning of december.

Is any place actually selling this at a retail store?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I would pick this up if they had Mark of the Wolves, KOF 98' and Last Blade 2

This is my problem with this system- it needs more of the later Neo-Geo titles. Then there's third party games like Rage Of The Dragons and Matrimelee that may never see releases on this thing.

I'm waiting to see if it gets hacked, but even then I don't know if I'd bother- I already have all the Neo-Geo games on my PSP.

Dave Long

Banned
When you play the fighting games with a memory card, it will save your progress. Given how often you have to continue to beat the likes of a Neo Dio, it's very helpful to be able to save.

Magician Lord and others benefit as well. People who own a Neo Geo will know. Those who don't will B&M that they can't beat the games.

Galdelico

I guess I have to wait for GAF, in order to have some truly useful information... :D
The guy on Destructoid didn't even spend a few words about emulation: ok, it seems good, it seems like NeoGeo Station but... Are there any visual settings of sort? Is it possible to change the region of the games? Are they japanese? US? In this case, do they come out censored?

depths20XX

Um, so any word if they are going to have other games come out on this thing?

I like how it looks but if those 20 games are all you get then it's not worth it.

Is there any type of memory slot?

Anyone know the HW specs for this?

It will be interesting to see if this gets hacked to run other emu. Could make a really sweet arcade/old console system.

I actually got one thinking this would happen. I know it's not a guarantee, but I rolled the dice thinking it will be likely.

Um, so any word if they are going to have other games come out on this thing?

I like how it looks but if those 20 games are all you get then it's not worth it.

Is there any type of memory slot?

Tommo said they will get more license to release more game next year. I think it will depend on how many units sold.

mugenmidget

Neo Member
Yeah I'd like to know this for sure. I've got one on the way but it will be a few days before I get it.
Just composite video (and not very good from the sound of it):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...e-announced!&p=3462624&viewfull=1#post3462624

However, there is one huge negative mark for me: The composite AV out on this thing is TERRIBLE. It's dark, with tons of rainbow banding. Worse than any Neo home system I've ever used, and I've had models with the bad AV before. I really hope one of us can figure out how to get RGB/component out of it.

I guess I have to wait for GAF, in order to have some truly useful information... :D
The guy on Destructoid didn't even spend a few words about emulation: ok, it seems good, it seems like NeoGeo Station but... Are there any visual settings of sort? Is it possible to change the region of the games? Are they japanese? US? In this case, do they come out censored?
I know you can switch between the US and Japanese versions of SamShoII at least (I did it last night) and I presume that option is available for the other games but I haven't found any other options settings.

DoubleTap

Even with all the Anthologies, VC releases, and NeoGeo Station games I've purchased, I still went ahead and ordered one. Best Buy is currently taking orders again.

I was going to wait but the uncertainty of availability and with the secondary market snatching these up, sure, why not.

Compatibility with the PS3 replica stick is a bonus.

Argh the wait is gonna kill me! in a good way of course. At least im not at work when it gets delivered

I know you can switch between the US and Japanese versions of SamShoII at least (I did it last night) and I presume that option is available for the other games but I haven't found any other options settings.

David Bruno via twitter said that "some" of the games do but SamShoII was the only example he gave

Top Bottom