• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread [Voting Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apeopleman

Slightly off topic, but...

I really, really loved Death Note. Best anime I ever saw.

Now, on the other end, I HATE One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. They are way too long, fillers galore, and over the top rediculous.

My question is: Are there any shorter animes (less than 100 episodes) that have a darker theme, that are captivating like Death Note?

I hear Attack on Titan is decent, but what others are there?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, I don't know what to say. Well actually I could say many things such as jokingly going along with Cwarrior's idea that this is all duckroll's idea, or pointing out joke that if Cwarrior wanted things to go his way he should have jumped into my bed first or question why he thinks I'm going to make Wolf Children the winner if I'm just going to rig the results.

But really, I just don't know what to say.

Honestly, I don't know what to say. Well actually I could say many things such as jokingly going along with Cwarrior's idea that this is all duckroll's idea, or pointing out joke that if Cwarrior wanted things to go his way he should have jumped into my bed first or question why he thinks I'm going to make Wolf Children the winner if I'm just going to rig the results.

But really, I just don't know what to say.

Just pass the blame to Duckroll, that seems to be the thing nowadays.

1. Girls und Panzer - Since this is technically eligible I'm obligated to put it here on top. The rest of this list wouldn't exist without GuP because if this show wasn't so good I would have never started to watch anime in the first place.
2. Chihayafuru 2 - Slow to develop and only ostensibly about romance, the drama and tension is fantastic. The characters are all very well done. One of my favorite shows I've watched.
3. Oreimo 2 - I'm not actually sure why I have this so high. I liked it, despite how wrong the whole show felt.
4. Yuushibu - Such a fantastically silly premise for a show.
5. Love Lab - Charming, inoffensive and Riko is fantastic. Also, #TeamHuggy
6. Flowers of Evil- So delightfully uncomfortable.
7. Kotoura-San- I think if this show kept with the more serious tone set in the first 10 minutes of the first episode it would have been something really special, but still managed to be very enjoyable as a romcom.
8. White Album 2 - Generally well done love triangle with a main protagonist that you don't immediately hate.
9. Non Non Biyori - I maintain that the whole premise of this show is deeply depressing, but Renge makes it worth watching.
10. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - Its like Watamote, only good.

Riffled

Banned

Now, on the other end, I HATE One Piece, Naruto and Bleach. They are way too long, fillers galore, and over the top rediculous.

My question is: Are there any shorter animes (less than 100 episodes) that have a darker theme, that are captivating like Death Note?

Kaiji
Akagi
Monster
One Outs
Code Geass

1. Girls und Panzer - Since this is technically eligible I'm obligated to put it here on top. The rest of this list wouldn't exist without GuP because if this show wasn't so good I would have never started to watch anime in the first place.
2. Chihayafuru 2 - Slow to develop and only ostensibly about romance, the drama and tension is fantastic. The characters are all very well done. One of my favorite shows I've watched.
3. Oreimo 2 - I'm not actually sure why I have this so high. I liked it, despite how wrong the whole show felt.
4. Yuushibu - Such a fantastically silly premise for a show.
5. Love Lab - Charming, inoffensive and Riko is fantastic. Also, #TeamHuggy
6. Flowers of Evil- So delightfully uncomfortable.
7. Kotoura-San- I think if this show kept with the more serious tone set in the first 10 minutes of the first episode it would have been something really special, but still managed to be very enjoyable as a romcom.
8. White Album 2 - Generally well done love triangle with a main protagonist that you don't immediately hate.
9. Non Non Biyori - I maintain that the whole premise of this show is deeply depressing, but Renge makes it worth watching.
10. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - Its like Watamote, only good.

Don't know why, but you seem like you come out of /a/....

And how are SNAFU and Watamote are even similar?

Namikaze1

I didn't see much during the past year, so forgive me if my list is lacking. A lot.

Anime

1) Kill La Kill
At first, I didn't think much of the show due to the fan service, but as I kept watching, I grew attach to the characters. Sure, there are some minor things I don't like (Nui) but everything else is top notch. I really love the soundtrack, especially the "Don't Lose Your Way" song, and the fight scenes.

2) Attack on Titan
Okay, this would have been my #1 choice if things didn't fall apart midway through the season. I never read the manga before so I was very shock when they
killed Eren
early on in the season. The show started out strong but then it went downhill before it picked up again. There were some things that they mentioned early on in the season that didn't get mention again till the last 4-5 episodes. I'll say the action was my favorite part of the show. That's one thing I love about the show aside from the original opening theme.

3) Little Witch Academia

4) The Devil Is A Part Timer

Films/OVA

1) DBZ Battle of Gods
The Dragon Ball Z series was the reason I got into anime as a child, so as a huge DBZ fan, this was a must see to me. There were several reasons why I needed to see this but out of all of them, I only needed one: GT wouldn't be canon. Sure, I love the Evil Dragon Arc but god did the show suck. Anyway, the movie turned out to be better than I thought. I went in expecting a typical DBZ movie where the Z Fighters all lose the first time around until Goku comes back and beats the typical villain. Except I didn't get that in the film. The "villain" whose name eludes me, wasn't a villain at all. He was just there to do his job. Goku does indeed returns stronger than ever later in the movie but
he loses cleanly against the cat like god of destruction in both fights.
One of my favorite scenes was Vegeta
surpassing Goku without ever needing to unlock SSJ3 for a short while.
Though one thing I'll say is that I actually prefer the English voice actors. In the English dub, Vegeta actually sounds like the freaking badass he is. Can't say the same about Japanese Vegeta.

2) One Piece 2013 movie (forgot the name)

There's still a few animes and movies I still need to see like the Blue Exorcist movie. Hopefully, I could get that done before classes start next week.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Everything is always duckroll's fault, even the stuff he has no part of.

I was blaming Duckroll for things before it was cool.
FuqnPhm.gif

Kaiji
Akagi
Monster
One Outs
Code Geass

Don't know why, but you seem like you come out of /a/....

And how are SNAFU and Watamote are even similar?

I don't know what /a/ is. I assume its a 4Chan thing?

As for SNAFU/Watamote, Hachiman and Tomoko are both similar in that they're profoundly anti-social and hold a disdain for just about everyone. And both shows are in part about how they deal with forced social situations. The difference being that Hachiman actually manages to come off as a likeable character at times and seems to experience at least some degree of growth over the course of the show. By contrast, Tomoko starts off as a loser, continues the story as a loser, and ends the show as a loser. If it wasn't for the one scene where Tomoko says she peed herself a little I'm not sure if there was anything I found redeeming about that show.

Ryuukan

This two catagory shit is dumb, you created an entire new catagory this year just so you could rig it so wolf children at leasts wins something, you should be ashamed of yourself, your no better then spike vga,Oscars,Emmy, or whatever award show your talking smack about each year.

I point the finger at you cause your the ring leader, a true real G mod would be above that.

duckroll's response:

KYIljOb.gif

Riffled

Banned
I don't know what /a/ is. I assume its a 4Chan thing?

As for SNAFU/Watamote, Hachiman and Tomoko are both similar in that they're profoundly anti-social and hold a disdain for just about everyone. And both shows are in part about how they deal with forced social situations. The difference being that Hachiman actually manages to come off as a likeable character at times and seems to experience at least some degree of growth over the course of the show. By contrast, Tomoko starts off as a loser, continues the story as a loser, and ends the show as a loser. If it wasn't for the one scene where Tomoko says she peed herself a little I'm not sure if there was anything I found redeeming about that show.

Hmmmm....I saw Hachiman more similar to Kyon and other Light Novel characters, having a set viewpoint and being disengaged. Tomoko is more insanely deluded, and wants to be accepted, also it's more comedy.

Didn't watch much this year, but here goes:

TV:

1. Aku no Hana - Beautifully creepy, wonderfully gross. Need season two.

2. Log Horizon - Makes me feel like an even more extra humongous nerd, and as has been stated, makes me want to play MMOs again - but fuck that.

3. Kill la Kill

4. Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta

Movies:

1. Ghost in the Shell: Arise (parts 1 & 2) - It does well despite how bad the concept sounds. Mostly though, it just made me rewatch SAC/2ndGig/SSS for the umpteenth time.

Honorary OP/ED: DATABASE DATABASE

Because of this thread, anime I am likely to watch next: Kyousougiga

Enron

Banned
This two catagory shit is dumb, you created an entire new catagory this year just so you could rig it so wolf children at leasts wins something, you should be ashamed of yourself, your no better then spike vga,Oscars,Emmy, or whatever award show your talking smack about each year.

I point the finger at you cause your the ring leader, a true real G mod would be above that.

Edit:darkside point this out earlyer.

stay mad

I only wish to place a vote for one show:

1) The Eccentric Family
I used to consume anime like candy, but after I graduated college and began a new job my consumption declined. A lack of time in conjunction with lesser quality animes (though still great ones out there) left me viewing fewer and fewer until I hit a complete slump. Then came The Eccentric Family. It was love at first sight. The animation is gorgeous. The characters unique---not only in their style, but their personalities. I was a kid mesmerized about a world and characters so real I could see myself sitting with them, speaking with them. I'll never be skilled enough with words to describe how this show made me feel.

If you've seen The Eccentric Family, then you know the scene from below. The amount of feels from it alone makes this the top show of 2013---but luckily, the show has much more than just this going for it.

Kite

1. Space Brothers - wins for being consistently good, 89 episodes and still going strong. Being a huge NASA nerd cements the #1 spot for as long as this anime keeps airing.
2. The Eccentric Family - This show hit me in the gut, got me to call my parents for the first time in months after the last episode. Oh the feels..
3. Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World - Holy shyt what a ride, #s******didnothingwrong
4. Kyousougiga - I kinda consider this the companion anime to Eccentric Family for sharing similar family themes. Looking at it academically this show is impressive as hell from the gorgeous visuals to the complicated themes that far better writers in this thread have explained better. But I identified with the brothers from Eccentric Family far more which is why it's ranked higher.
5. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Other than gaf, I don't know of any other anime community that is even aware of this show's existance, never mind promoting it. And this is a real shame, tis space opera done right.
6. Hunter x Hunter 2011 - HxH has replaced One Piece and YYH as my top ranked shounen fighting anime by being consistently good and having fights where creativity and strategy trumps power levels in many cases.
7. Chihayafuru 2 - Not sure why I love this show besides the beautiful art style and Ayase looking pretty in a kimono when I barely understand how the game works. But I am fully invested in this love triangle, #TeamTaichi
8. Silver Spoon - balanced the feels and comedy perfectly.
9. Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta - Love the fights and how the world doesn't feel the need to explain itself. I'm just along for the ride.
10. White Album 2 - This is how you adapt a visual novel. Unlike School Days and KGNE I actually like everyone involved in this love triangle and don't want any of them hurt.. which makes the conclusion that much better/painful.

ps: More people need to watch The Eccentric Family
edit: giving reasons is hard, I'm a shit writer and others have explained things better already.

Dresden

It's all just a plot by duckroll (who is not a real g mod) to make sure wolf children wins.

But really though, putting one line in about how you liked something isn't much to ask for.

I know that people should read the OP, but I don't understand why a post can't just be a straight list.
Because the OP said so, that's why! But honestly, I love to see people comment on at least their top pick because I'm using this thread to figure out what great shows I've missed this year. So on a personal level, I really appreciate them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Writing thoughtful comments is too hard.

I'm confident that all my picks will make the top 3/10/whatever anyway so there is no need for me to expound at length about my choices.

Haly

It's #1 in my heart.

That's what counts right?

Haly

I'm wounded icarus, I thought we shared that special bond.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Movie:
1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica Movie 3: The Rebellion Story - Really not much to say here, just simply an amazing movie in its entirety from start to finish.

TV Shows:
1. Oreimo S2
2. Oreshura
3. Kyoukai no Kanata
4. Kinmosa
5. Love Live!
6. Free!!
7. Zettai Bouei Leviathan
8. Noucome
9. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come
10. Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi

Dynedom

TV Series/ONA

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I think a lot can be said about a series that forces you to do a marathon. I could not put this down. Everything from the visuals to the soundtrack to major elements of the plot are top-shelf. It does have its hiccups and certain plot "twists" and developments are easily foreseeable and even ham-fisted but it doesn't matter. There is still enough here to keep you hooked, with a cast of largely likable character and grounded motivations.

It harkens back to the space opera/battle anime of old (and rightfully so, being a remake of what is supposedly a classic space opera). If you're a fan of the Crest/Banner of the Stars series or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, this show is unmissable.

2. Uchouten Kazoku

A beautifully crafted anime, blending some daring storytelling (the ending might leave some dissatisfied) with excellent characters, music and unbelievable visuals. This may be the best looking show of the year. A story of family, mortality, forgiveness, loyalty, soul-searching, responsibility, maturity and above all else, eccentricity. What shouldn't work against a modern-fantasy backdrop is perhaps strengthened by it.

Perhaps the sleeper hit of 2013, watch this show. It will make you happy, even in its more melancholic moments.

3. Susei no Gargantia

For me, this was a lesson in not judging a book by its cover. A horribly designed mecha (with some questionable CG) and cute girls abound. This will probably be okay at best (or so I thought). What ended up emerging was one of the more thoughtful shows of the season. The art (CG aside) had its incredible moments and the cast of characters were excellent. The character and plot development (aside for a fairly foreseeable twist) are executed very well. There are some deep messages here.

This one might surprise you, if you had expectations mirroring my own.

4. Kyousogiga

This show is wacky, turbulent, perhaps full of misdirection (in its appearance) and might challenge you a bit. Underneath all that is a touching story. I wish I could say more but I don't think the manner of which I watched this show served it justice. I'm going to do a re-watch and really take messages in. Flattering or not (depending on your opinion), this reminded me a lot of FLCL in that your first watch may not be the defining one.

This isn't a thinking man's anime but it is one that will reward you the more you watch it, is all.

5. Valvrave The Liberator

Let's get one thing straight here: this show is all about entertainment. Yes, it isn't as stupid as it could have been (for better or worse) and it handles certain plot elements surprisingly well. Its cast of characters will not necessarily win you over, save a few diamonds in the rough. This show is about zany antics, explosive action, ridiculous deus ex machinas (well, depending on who you ask!), manipulation, insanity chess (although not on the levels of Code: GEASS) and everything in between. If you're looking for Code GEASS levels of fan-service, you'll sadly have to look elsewhere.

You're going to laugh when you shouldn't, cringe at the logic, wish death upon characters and you're going to question why you linger on this lunatic opera. You will continue to ask this question until you realized that it's too late: you've somehow finished the entire series.

6. Hataraku Maou-Sama!

A fun comedy with some good action here and there (but largely minimal), this show was a good break between some of the more serious, though-provoking stuff (and insane stuff) of the year. It may not make you laugh as much as me but I think there is enough here to warrant a watch.

Ignore the haters: Chiho is best girl.

7. Gatchaman Crowds

The CG and costumes suck (wtf Utsutsu) and it honestly doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to past Gatchaman shows (although I'm no expert on that). Now that I've gotten that out of the way, this show was still pretty cool. The plot was captivating enough that you wanted to keep going and there is some surprising character development here. Ultimately, this show will be made or broken for you by the lead. Believe it or not, her character's demeanor is pivotal to the central plot and message of the show. If you can't handle it, though, you're going to want to bail.

Gatcha!

8. Blood Lad

Probably the most pure shounen on this list (hey, I need to have at least one, alright?). I think the interactions of the characters are what sold me. Maybe I haven't watched enough series of this nature but I found it refreshing. There is a zaniness that really supports the series in the way characters are motivated. It may not be for you but all shounen fans need apply.

Also boobs.

9. Majestic Prince

Out of the big 3 mecha shows on this list (and indeed the season), this show is largely here because it is somewhat honest in its rather simplistic and shallow storytelling. That and when the budget is turned up, this show had the best-looking mecha action of the whole god damn season (no seriously. Look up the gifs). The characters are mostly duds (although I still found Tamaki fun). Yeah the designs sucked but visually, the series did have it's moments. Mecha fans can maybe just skip to the episodes with the best mecha porn.

I saw squid guts while I was in Japan but I never did try them. =(

10. Kill la Kill

This show has a lot going for it but I'm sticking it here because it's incomplete. It's over the top, the action can be spectacular, the comedy and easter eggs are excellent and it never truly forgets what it is. That kind of honesty in a narrative, I can respect. Yeah, I still think the Senketsu battle suit design is horrible.

Above all else, this show has one thing no other show this season has: Mako

MakoGetNaked-KilllaKill-Episode3_zpsdad26fd1.gif~original
tumblr_mup2x5fcEH1rb06tgo1_500.gif
tumblr_mv74pdO0rs1rb06tgo1_500.gif
tumblr_muiyf5GsLP1sqbr2po1_500.gif

Movies/OVAs

1. Garden of Words

My god, this is beautiful. The best looking thing I watched all year. The plot itself is quite touching and the characters are great. This movie, for me, was a technical achievement at the end of the day. Words cannot adequately describe the splendor here. You need to watch this. Now.

2. Ghost In The Shell: Arise 1-2

A good start to what looks like a great re-imaging of the series. Your like/dislike of Makoto's design aside, this is still the cyberpunk intrigue movie/show you know and love. If you're a fan of GiTS: SAC, I think you'd be satisfied with this. Some great action.

3. Blue Exorcist: The Movie

A surprisingly touching movie set against a GORGEOUS visual design. This might even be better than Garden of Words in many respects but I think I'd still keep it at this position. I was a fan of the original series and manga and it's fun to see the characters here again (I have always liked the refreshing character designs this series has). It looks and sounds great and has some excellent action sequences. If you're a shounen fan, you need this movie.

massoluk

Banned
It's all just a plot by duckroll (who is not a real g mod) to make sure wolf children wins.

But really though, putting one line in about how you liked something isn't much to ask for.

So many post aren't going to be counted, deadline approaching guys!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
TV Shows

A proper space opera, grand in scope, and gorgeous in execution. Near flawless. This everything a scifi epic should be. Mystery, amazing combat, characters with incredible depth, and an a visual and sound design that is a tour de force. It has political drama without being too bogged down, it's just hard scifi enough to make for an interesting setting but just soft enough to be digestible by many, and its just simply an entertaining show to watch time and time again.

2. KILL la KILL
Every episode is a treat and utterly ridiculous. For most of the series so far it runs at 110% and is wholly unrepentant in its presentation. All gas, go brake baby. Mako is one of the breakout characters of the year, if not THE character of the year. A fact made more impressive by the fact of rising from an amazingly colorful cast. I'm so ready for the second half of the show.

3. Inferno Cop
i can't i just can't

4. Majestic Prince
An utter blast. Some jaw dropping mecha fights and a fun cast of characters. It's so tongue-in-cheek on somethings and still looks great, though the story is a big of stretch. I seriously want a season two and its wide open for it.

5. Golden Time
Adapted from a work by Toradora!'s author, it's a pretty smart and refreshing look at romance in anime. Set in college and touching on some usually untouched aspects, it's mixture of great characters, story, and humor make this show really fun, stupid 'ghost' framing device or not. Can't wait to see how it ends.

6. Valvrave the Liberator
A "poor man's Code Geass," I guess. Largely enjoyably, but this trainwreck crashed and burned at the end of the line station due to reaching an unbearable weight.

Movies/OVAs
1. Little Witch Academia
Thank you, Trigger. Just...thank you.

2. The Garden of Words
Absolutely stunning in its visual caliber, mixed in a perfect storm with amazing sound design and that familiar, bittersweet distance that resonates so deeply the entire 45 minutes (and a good dub cast, to boot), this is unmistakably a Shinkai work through and through. His exploration on the various meanings of that 'distance' that separates wandering hearts from each other continues here as he focuses on the distance of ages: a barrier that never shrinks and stands verboten to be spoken of. The pressures that are applied externally, the uncertainty that dwells within. While his storytelling can be a be bit lacking, overly dramatic and been-there-done-that when viewed in context of his other works, he still makes it a very powerful, stunning, heart-aching ride.

3. Wolf Children
A heartwarming, lovingly crafted tale of family, struggling to find oneself, and with whom to belong. Some well done animation adding to a tense and saccharine, but ultimately joyful expression of love. An amazing dub cast round out a production of near unrivaled sound and art design. A Hosoda classic for the ages.

mhayze

Going old school, but I recommend Berserk. Dark fantasy at it's best.

Ryuukan

TV Series

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ; First 4-6 eps were so-so, but it really picked up after that. A real space opera for today's moe otaku.
2. Outbreak Company
3. Chihayafuru S2
4. Gintama
5. Gundam Build Fighters
6. Hataraku Maou-sama!
7. Oreimo S2
8. Genshiken Nidaime
9. Haganai NEXT
10. Date A Live

Movies/ETC

1. Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya
2. Wolf Children
3. Chihayafuru OVA

Xilium

My Top Shows of 2013:
1. Hunter x Hunter - A show that just keeps getting better and better as time goes on. I love the dark turn the most recent ark has taken and really appreciate the lack of censorship that's typically present in shonen series.
2. Log Horizon - This show is right up there with .Hack//Sign and Accel World as being one of my favorite MMO-meets-Reality type animes. It strikes a nice balance of intrigue, character drama, and action.
3. Monogatari Series: Second Season - I just love the character interactions in this show. The plot could go absolutely nowhere and I would still love the show but as it stands, the plot is rather interesting as well so that's a plus.
4. Magi - Just a fun, occasionally dark shonen series without any major flaws.
5. High School DxD New - My guilty pleasure. That said, I do legitimately enjoy the setting and overarching plot.
6. Hataraku Maou-sama! - Comedy of the year.
7. Maoyu - Politics and Economics the anime. For reasons I can't explain, I like this show.
8. Majestic Prince - I went into this show expecting to drop it after a couple of episodes as I don't typically like mecha shows but the character interactions and political intrigue of the show kept me hooked.
9. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT - My other guilty pleasure but like Monogatari, I really like the character interactions in this show.
10. Gatchaman Crowds - The combat was the least interesting part of the show to me, Hajime was the best part.

Top Honorable Mentions:
1. Attack on Titan
2. A Certain Scientific Railgun S
3. Blood Lad
4. The World God Only Knows II
5. Problem Children are Coming from Another World, aren't they?

Other Honorable Mentions:
Seitokai No Ichizon - Student Councils Discretion
Valvrave The Liberator
Muromi-San
Nyarko-san: Another Crawling Chaos
Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited
HENNEKO - The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat
Kotoura-San
Infinite Stratos 2
Date a Live
Senyuu/.2
Ishida & Asakura

Film/OVA:
<Insert rolling tumbleweed here>

My 2013 pick
Shows

1-Yamato 2199
It's the best space opera i've seen in years.
Yamato 2199 is that good. It does a lot of things right and does some things wrong , but yamato is on the right track 97% of the time , and OMg when it's going ,it's really going up.
The battles are intresting , the setting is intresting , the cast is full of capable vilain and protagonist and the production values are so high i can't see them. It's a gem , a master piece , a well deserved first place

2-Psycho-Pass
Psycho pass has some pretty high missteps here was that episode where the production values went undergound for example , however the setting and the characters depicted would have been the best this year if this year i hadn't watched yamato.
I disliked the heroine at first and her develloppement has been magnificent. The society depicted , full of problems , full of intresting questions had me going i'd be back for me , no doubt.

3-Log Horizon
Log horizon isn't finshed in anime at the time i'm writting this up . but i've read the book and the good stff won't stop anytime soon.
LG manage to depict an intresting "trapped in another reality" story , with excellent MMo mecanics , an intresting world to explore and numrous intresting characters.
The fact that the MC is capable without any feelign of deus-ex machina is praiseworthy , not to mention how magnificent they adapted the books
DATABASE DATABASE , WOOOOW

4-Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam build fighters is the best gundam show that aired on tv since god know when.
They managed to keep gundam intresting by being an MAGNIFICENT fanservice show for the fans , by ditching all the drama made from war but keeping the godly animation.
It's godly , it's gorgeous , it's so freaking fun
If you like mecha , YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS.

5-Monogatari Series: Second Season
Nisio did it again, monogatari second season had the feels, the reveals, the artistic value and a way to present characters like no other show would dare to do.
Must watch.

6-Hunter x Hunter
The best shonen in the business that isn't one piece.
Hunter x hunter finally adapted the chimera arc and they did it masterfully. i have no complains everything was perfect. screw censorship.

7-Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
A surprising entry at the 7th place but that is because this anime deserve praise because it has a freakiing huge amount of potential. The 3 characters want just to get out of their boring lives and have fun , it's entertaining , it's fantasy , it has cool characters A second season is needed ASAP

8-Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova
I didn't expect to love this anime as much as i did.
To be fair i remember being not that much intrested by the first and second episode but i knew they were just setting things up. But arpeggio won his place by having ships battles that are intresting to look at , GREAT characters and a wonderfull theme on "free will" Surprise of the year as the show wasn't on my radars at all.

9-Shin sekai yori
Another show that started slow , but kicked in at the end of the 3rd episode.
SSY is a show that is full of conflict , doesn't hold back , has great visuals and a magnificent final arc.
A must see anime

10-Zettai Karen Children: The Unlimited
The unlimited is actually a retelling of the ZKC franchise. it's entertainning because it had plenty of good ideas on their own and expanded the original universe. as a spin-off it has excellent production values and it served as a nice bridge on a franchise i enjoy.

11-Hataraku Maou-sama!
11-Ginga Kikoutai: Majestic Prince
13-Dokidoki Precure
14-Suisei no Gargantia
15-Love Lab
16-Uchouten Kazoku
17-Gingitsune
18-Gatchaman Crowds
19-Minami-ke Tadaima
20-Servant x Service
21-Highschool DxD New
22-Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
23-Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A
24-Non Non Biyori
25-Date A Live
26-Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
27-Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko
28-Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
29-Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
30-Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
31-Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai
32-Zettai Bouei Leviathan
33-Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle 3rd Season
34-Choujigen Game Neptune The Animation
35-Kyousougiga
36-Golden Time
37-The World God Only Knows III
38-Genei wo Kakeru Taiyo
39-Ixion Saga DT
40-Kiniro Mosaic
41-Strike the Blood
42-Vividred operation
43-Unbreakable Machine-Doll
44-Mushibugyou
45-Red data girl
46-Yuusha ni Narenakatta
47-Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
48-Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge
49-Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
50-Robotics;notes
51-Tamako Market
52-Tokyo Ravens
53-Cuticle Tantei Inaba
54-Kyoukai no Kanata
55-Galilei Donna
56-Arata Kangatari
57-Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride
58-Devil Survivor 2
59-IS: Infinite Stratos 2
60-Shingeki no Kyojin
61-Zetsuen no tempest
62-Coppelion
63-Fantasista Doll
64-Danganronpa - The Animation
65-BlazBlue: Alter Memory

Oavs/movies
1-Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare
The gintama movie is a MUST WATCH for any gintama fans... you'll have the feels , you'll have plenty of excellent moments, it's a masterpiece of comedy and great animation. it's the most entertaining movie i've seen of the year.

2-Pokemon: The Origin
Pokemon the origin is everything pokemon Tv should have been and couldn't become. It's genuily good , has actually a story , is godl'y animated and make you feel like you're in a pokemon match. if they hadn't messed up the final fight it might have been the best for me.
3-Little Witch Academia
Good, great , entertaining , full of potential.
This franchise MUST TAKE OFF
I need to have more of this

4-Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Deja vu
5-Toaru no index movie
6-Seitokai Yakuindomo
7-One piece Z
8-Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo? OVA
9-Minami-ke
10-Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami
11-Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home
12-Kamisama Hajimemashita OVA
13-Iron Man: Rise of Technovore
14-Miyakawa-ke no Kuufuku
15-Highschool DxD
16-Queen's Blade: Vanquished Queens
17-Busou Shinki OVA

Shows
1. Gatchaman Crowds; Very interesting theme and characters as well as thrilling action scenes supplemented by an over the top soundtrack
2. Hentai Ouji no Warawanai Neko; This show was extremely adorable with one of the most adorable openings and endings. Then, the characters were very fun especially the overt pervert Yokodera
3. Sundays without God; This show had a tremendous amount of feels followed by a unique lead which makes the show feel a whole lot heavier
4. Log Horizon
5. Monogatari: Second Season
6. Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?
7. Hataraku Maou-sama!
8. Kill la kill; Very humorous show with over the top action and good overall music. Boosted to greatness with Mako.
9. Servant x Service
10. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
11. Samurai Flamenco
12. Nagi no Asukara
13. World God Only Knows: Goddess Saga
14. Maoyuu
15. Kyousougiga
16. Haiyore Nyaruko-san W
17. Non Non Biyori
18. Kiniro Mosaic
19. Outbreak Company
20. Kotoura-san
21. Yuyushiki
22. Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya
23. Golden Time
24. Blood Lad
25. Gingitsune
26. Noucome
27. Rozen Maiden 2013
28. Date A Live
29. Attack on Titan
30. Valvrave the Liberator
31. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come
32. Unbreakable Machine Girl
33. Choujigen Game Neptune The Animation
34. Teekyuu
35. Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties
36. Yuusha ni Narenakatta
37. Senran Kagura
38. Super Seisyun Brothers
39. Love Live
40. Strike the Blood
41. Tokyo Ravens
42. Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
43. Highschool DxD New
44. AKB0048 Next Stage
45. OreImo 2
46. Infinite Stratos 2
47. Photo Kano
48. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT
49. Walkure Romanze
50. Coppelion
51. Zettai Karen Children: Hyoubu the Unlimited
52. Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
53. DanganRonpa the Animation

Necrovex

I'm still watching Eccentric Family, Girl Und Panzar, and Gundam, so they may enter this list.

Current list:

TV Series:

1) Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World ; This ranked third last year, however the latter half of this show surpassed the earlier parts, which were usually god-like. After nine months, I still have nothing but praises for this property.

2) Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ; Best space opera I have seen in years! The first few episodes started slow, but after that initial slowness, it picks up the pace and gets insane. Episode 20 is the episode of the year for me. That space battle.

3) Inferno Cop: Who needs a budget? Budgets aren't needed in this day and age. Inferno Cop shows us why.

4) Attack on Titan ; This show was inconsistent a lot of the time, but hell it kept my attention throughout. Every episode I saw on release date, and that is a very rare occurrence nowadays.

5) Silver Spoon ; The characters are a true delight, and while the animation can be shoddy, it's a type of show that doesn't require amazing artwork. The writing is solid, and Silver Spoon has a ton of charm.

6) Aku no Hana ; This would have been higher if the ending to the first season wasn't awful. I doubt a second season will be aired, so a clip show of next season was an abysmal idea. Otherwise, the pacing is great, and the animation in the later part is wonderful. Episode 8 is the second best episode of the year. That final segment. O M G.

7) Kill La Kill ; The most inconsistent show on my list. When it's good, then it becomes HOLY SHIT, when it's bad, it becomes 'Get my gun out!' It's a slight disappointment at times when I consider it is the Gurren Lagann director.

Films/OVAs:

1) Wolf Children ; One of my favorite films of the year, even outside of animation. Solid dub too.

2) Little Witch Academia ; My entry point for Trigger, and they have retained my love for ever since.

3) The Garden of Words

Gotta get this out of the way pefore I forget.

Maybe the best anime I have seen in years. It had everything. Nice likeable characters that actually got some development. Nice art and actually after the first shock you got used to CGI too. Good soundtrack and good plot with nice twists. Damn I had empty feeling after the I had finished the series. That always means that you just experienced something that got you so engrossed in it that you didn't want it to end.

2. Attack on Titan:
Haters gonna hate. Only anime of the year that really really made me to anticipate next episode every week. Amazing athmosphere and well crafted world. Characters while not anything particularly amazing were decent and no one annoyed me (well maybe armin at first). Had some pacing issues in middle of the series but as someone that has gone trough several shonen series it really didn't bother me that much. Had also some animation issues in some episodes (or lack of it) but then in the episodes where there was actually some important action I thought that animation was great. Had also pretty unique soundtrack. Give me second season now.

3. Valvrave The Liberator
Trainwreck show of the year. So bad that it was good. Had the best character of the year too. L-elf. Soo boss. Actually had couple of legimately good episodes too. Action generally looked good, art overall was pretty nice and soundtrack was good. Had pretty dissapointing ending though and it felt that the pace went off the charts during last couple of episodes.

4. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU:
Really liked this. My surprise show of the year. Thought that is was just another typical romcom but it was actually quite different.

5. Gargantia:
Another show with well crafted world and rather unique athmosphere. Characters were generally convicing and plot was good with some surprising and effective twists. Had some pacing issues towards the end (felt rushed).

6. Psycho-Pass:
Liked this as it was something different. You don't get this kind of shows too many a year. Had some really great episodes and I actually liked the world very much. Ending was kinda dull. Had also some huge animation issues.

7. Hatarakuo Maou-sama:
Did what is was meant to do. Got me laugh a lot.

8. Servant x Service:
Liked this too as it was something different. Slice of life show about adults. Imagine. Adults and not high school boys or girls... Was also legimately quite good. Liked the characters (except Taishi that had no spine at all) and show had some good comedy. Art was not anything to write home about but not offensively bad either.

9. Love Lab:

Episodes were little hit or miss for me. Liked the most of cast and had some pretty funny episodes. Episodes with boys were usually best.

10. Majestic Prince:
Well overall the show was nothing that amazing but it had one very good thing going for it: Best animated mech battles of the year. Also it's not like the show was offensively bad. Actually laughed to some gags.

Abomination of the Year:

Oreimo S2:
Fuck that ending

Movies:
1. Wolf Children
Great characters with great development and the show looked very nice. Heartwarming movie.

2. One Piece Film Z:

Pretty basic shonen plot but had the usual One Piece magic. I have always liked the soundtrack of One PIece and in the movie they actually have time and budget to also animate things unlike sometimes in the series. Very good.

3. Steins;Gate: Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu:
Absolutely adored the original series and went with high expectations to watch this movie. The movie definitely was good. You met the cast that you loved once again and the plot actually made some sense too. You also had some nice development with Kurisu. Still it kinda felt unnecessary to me. Can't actually pin point why. Movie just didn't grap me like the series. Still I easily recommend to watch this though.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Would it be alright if Sazae-san were to be on my list? I know it has been ongoing for 44 years but I did watch a few of last year's episodes.

44 years? You mean the manga rig---

Studio: TCJ (later Eiken)
Network: Fuji Television
Original run: October 5, 1969 &#8211; ongoing
Episodes: >6,000

On September 5, 2013, Sazae-san was awarded the Guinness World Record for the longest running animated television series in the world.

Holy Mother of God

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom