• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread [Voting Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jotaka

TV
1. Gin no Saji/Silver Spoon
Amazing the fact the Mangaka that created Full Metal Alchelmist created this. RIP pork bowl
2. Log Horizon
As a MMO player fan, this anime is really nice to fix my MMO addiction of late.
3. Hataraku Maou-sama
4. Maooyuu Maou Yuusha
5. Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
6. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come
7. Non Non Biyori
8. Uchuu Kyoudai
9. Servant X Service
10. Uchouten Kazoku

Movie/OVA
1. Death Billiards
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Ghost in the Shell: Arise

Honourable Mentions
Suisei no Gargantia
Watamote!
Gingitsune

TODO:
Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock (Movie)

Movies / OVAs
679534985eorky.jpg
1. Little Witch Academia. More charm than a barrel full of undead kittens, more brilliance than staring at the sun for three weeks, more Sucy than something without Sucy in it.

Shows

Nothing. I didn't watch a single 2013 anime show this year.

Can I vote for Date A Live even though I haven't watched it yet?

I'll see myself out.

Essay

SHOWS
1. Kill La Kill; It had been 9 years since an anime aired that really captivated me, and then this dropped. Anime needed a work like this: a absurdly Quixotic lampooning/celebration of its best and worst tropes. Meta for all the right reasons, its execution has been enough to bring a crotchety, jaded old anime watcher like me back into the fold when I thought I was done with the stuff. I've seen other anime shows this year, but I am not going to rate them simply because they were so disappointing in comparison, and I'd rather KLK shoot up the lists in terms of relative points.

FILM
1. Little Witch Academia; It was delightful and fun, plus I'm biased towards the studio now after KLK.

Am I cooking the vote? Probably! :p

Ratrat

I'm watching Yamato 2199 because of this thread.

I actually thought Attack on Titan had this in the bag. Shows what I know about anime. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Film/Ovas
1. Wolf Children Ame;Yuki
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Garden of Words

Shows
1. Gundam Build;Fighters
2. Uchoten Kazoku
3. Hataraku Maou-sama
4. Monogatari Series
5. Aku no Hana
6. Yozakura Quartet
7. From the New World
8. Girls;Panzer

Honorable Sudoku
1. Puella Magi Kowalski Magicka
2. Pokemon; The Origin

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is Space Battleship Yamato 2199 available to stream legally?

My meagre list. I can't even be bothered to list why I enjoyed it, since I guess it all comes to down to 'it's all Crunchyroll had':

1. Kill la Kill
2. Non Non Biyori
3. Log Horizon
4. Gingitsune: I'm honestly having trouble figuring out why I place this show so high. It's a slice of life, nothing much happens, and it gets cut off incredibly abruptly after multiple hints at an actual story. Maybe it's because I was watching it over supper with my SO, and she enjoyed the heck out of it (big, gruff, but adorable fox deity). I'm living vicariously through her or something.
5. Servant x Service
6. Space Brothers
7. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
8. Attack on Titan

Older releases, but we picked up Gintama's first movie, Summer Wars, The Girl who leapt through Time and Princess Jellyfish this year on Blu-ray, which we loved. I finished up Kimi ni Todoke, which was also fantastic.

I only started watching anime recently, and I think 2013 was the year I actually first dived in hard. Big regret is just not having enough access to shows. I look over at Crunchyroll's winter lineup with dread.

Guys, guys where can I watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199?
I don't see it in crunchyroll :-(

It's been like 10 years since I don't watch anime but this winter I went through Attack on Titan and I'm currently watching Hunter x Hunter. I also want to add Kill la Kill to the list.
I'll certainly vote next year.

duckroll

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is only available for import right now, unless you watched it while it aired on TV in Japan. It's pretty pricey, but they do have English subtitles. There is a (relatively) cheaper US release which is coming out this year though: http://starblazers.com/

Unfortunately this show is not currently streaming on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Hulu, or FUNimation.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is only available for import right now, unless you watched it while it aired on TV in Japan. It's pretty pricey, but they do have English subtitles. There is a (relatively) cheaper US release which is coming out this year though: http://starblazers.com/

Unfortunately this show is not currently streaming on Crunchyroll, Daisuki, Hulu, or FUNimation.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll look into it.

Evilisk

I think I might pass on voting on any anime. I mostly only watched older anime this year and the few anime I did end up watching that's eligible for this list, I only actually bothered to keep up date/complete two series in total (Psycho Pass and Kill la Kill).

I might end up voting for my top 3 movies though. I' watched a decent no. of anime movies/ova's last year year and I think I still have a decent time to catch up on some others.

(Also quick question, but is there anyway to legally watch the new Kara no Kyoukai movie? I forgot about it 'til I noticed it on the list in the OP)

yami4ct

Honestly, been terrible at keeping up with the current stuff this year due to backlog/lack of time, but here's a top 5.

Shows
1. Hunter x Hunter: Some amazing arcs of one of the best shonen shows of all time. Easy #1

2. Shinsekai Yori: Absolutely perfect atmosphere. Lots of ambition. Didn't pull off everything it tried, but got damn close. One of the most interesting shows this year.

3.JoJo:part 2 JoJo is absolutely brilliant. One of the most inventive, fun, well paced action arcs ever done. Absolutely adored every moment.

4.Valvrave: This should have been horrendous, yet it's somehow not. It pulls off a lot of really great character and dramatic moments, despite having such a damn ridiculous plot. Started watching it as a "so bad it's good" show, but genuinely enjoyed it by the end.

5. Gundam Build Fighters: Sure, the plot is super generic and kind of boring, but the animation is so gorgeous it doesn't matter. Love seeing different mechs from different shows all fighting. The gundam fan service can be a bit much at times, even as a huge gundam nerd, but what the show does well it hits out of the park.

Films:
1.Wolf Children: No other choice for me. Just an absolutely brilliant film from beginning to end. Emotionally resonant in a way most films, anime or not, don't come close to capturing. The animation is so colorful and beautiful as well. It's so far beyond anything else I've seen this year, it deserves to be my only entry on this list.

pants

Series
1. Monogatari S2
2. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
3. Uchōten Kazoku
4. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru
5. Hataraku Maou-sama!
6. Hajime no Ippo
7. Gin no Saji
8. Hunter X Hunter
9. Log Horizon
10. Daiya no A

Movies
1. Berserk Ougon Jidaihen III: Kourin
2. Harlock (cheating haven't watched it yet lol)
3. Kotonoha no Niwa

I'm listening to the Aku no Hana recommendations, and wow how did I miss this show..
I'm going to be a bro and suggest you read the manga instead.

Blades64

Banned
This is the thread I've been waiting for and I'll come back to post when I'm behind a computer. The lack of Hunter X Hunter these lists is hurtful. :(

Reserved

Mononoke

Banned
I'll write more, need more time to think about making my full list. But in terms of films, I can certainly say my two favorite this year were:

06HiFqV.png

1. Wolf Children - A beautiful film that shows the hardship of raising children and letting them be who they are meant to be. Stunning animation and soundtrack, this is truly masterful film-making.

CTW6WtH.png

2. Garden of Words - Makoto Shinkai's most mature piece to date. Garden of Words has a very poetic structure to the dialogue and story. The themed are a little too on the nose, but the gentle subtlety of how scenes are framed more than make up for it. Easily Shinkai's most beautiful animation to date, the film tells a very simple human story about how the connection between people regardless of age or background, can have a profound impact.

Show of the Year:

1. Kill la Kill

2. Attack on Titan

3. Samurai Flamenco.
Goddamn I didn't see that turn coming.

4. Gatchaman Crowds

Looking back I really didn't watch a ton of new anime this year, I mostly played catchup on older series I missed. Of what I enjoyed most this year all together I'd say it's a tie between watching Madoka for the first time and Kill la Kill.

sonicmj1

TV:
1. Flowers of Evil ; As devastating as it is daring, this rotoscoped tale of adolescent alienation and guilt stands tall among all the excellent shows this year. Building a powerful, oppressive mood through run-down back alleys and rusty schoolyards, low drones and long silences, series director Nagahama gives Kasuga's pubescent angst a gravity intense enough to choke. It's slow crescendos lead to some of the most powerful climaxes I've ever seen in any anime. An absolute classic.

2. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ; The best sci-fi show in years. What drew me in was the old-school straightforward optimism and simplicity of a story of Earth's best and brightest getting in an awesome ship and flying to save their home, encountering new life forms and going places no human has gone before. Every element of this naval epic in space is in place: commands relayed from captain's chair to bridge to crew, energy routed between shields and weapons, the long countdown to firing the Yamato's trademark Wave Motion Gun. That would have been enough. But Yamato goes further, providing a master class in television writing, juggling the character arcs of a dozen crew members with political machinations within the enemy Garmillian force, building every moment in the show to a sublime conclusion. They don't make grand adventures like this anymore.

3. Shin Sekai Yori ; In 2012, this show laid the groundwork for a society of powerful human psychics, kept from self-destruction by an elaborate system of merciless culling and mental barriers. 2013 exposed the true foundation of the cruel system that keeps humanity afloat, through an outbreak of violence and bloodletting that no one had anticipated. A counterpoint to the delight of Yamato's sci-fi adventure, Shin Sekai Yori harnesses the metaphorical power of speculative fiction to lay a powerful indictment on our own society. The harrowing aftermath of the final episode is indelible.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ; Battle Tendency took everything great about Phantom Blood and made it even more delightful with the introduction of Joseph Joestar, the most entertaining protagonist of the year. Maintaining the series' traditional themes of honor, friendship, and creative battles, Jojo delighted this year from beginning to end. Despite the paltry animation and Iwasaki's underutilized soundtrack, I was riveted to each improbable reversal of fortune.

5. Gundam Build Fighters ; An amazing ad for children's toys. I'm not a huge Gundam buff, so the non-G Gundam nostalgia pulls do nothing for me. But I love both the earnestness of the universe where fighting Gundam models are the coolest things in the world, and I adore the hot-blooded battles. The 2D mech action in this show can be even more intense than shows where actual life and limb is at stake. Reiji and Sei have a powerful cast of rivals, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up to these challengers in the World Tournament. Also, Beargguy-san is the best mech ever.

6. Uchouten Kazoku ; I can't help falling in love with PA Works depiction of Kyoto in this weird tale of a family of supernatural tanuki shapeshifters coping with the loss of their father. The show effortlessly builds a world and cast with a sense of history, without leaving the viewer disoriented. I found it utterly charming.

7. Hataraku Maou-sama ; I came for the improbable premise of a demon lord making his way to Earth and finding satisfaction in his part-time fast-food job, but I was delightfully surprised by how much fun it turned out being. The fish-out-of-water absurdity never gets overused. I liked everyone. It was good.

8. Love Lab ; This was another great comedy. Its attempts at drama were sometimes a little overwrought, but the manzai-esque chemistry between series leads Riko and Maki, and their growing cast of student council conspirators, is consistently funny. I'd love to have another season, if only to see more of the secondary cast, such as the council members' siblings.

9. Suisei no Gargantia ; A great sci-fi show about a young soldier from a militaristic society dropped into a more primitive land of laid-back ship-going people. I think its large-scale world-building and more on-the-nose stuff didn't add a lot to the whole, but I loved Ledo's gradual integration into this new society, how he slowly learns their language and customs, and how those change him as a person. It was very good.

10. Girls und Panzer ; Only two episodes aired this year, or I would have put this way higher. But the final showdown against Black Forest Academy was thrilling from beginning to end, and a fitting finale for this excellent absurd sports anime about fighting in tanks. The tension at the end had me pinned to my seat.

Movies:
1. Wolf Children: I love this heartwarming tale of a mother raising her two half-wolf children, struggling with their dual natures. Hosoda has a gift for emblematic storytelling montage, flexed to amazing effect here. Wolf Children's romance, and the highs and lows of growing up, feel profound without being cloying. As sentimental as it might sometimes get, it never veers into melodrama, and shows a lot of respect for its audience. Hana is an amazing character, and this film is a real treasure.

2. Little Witch Academia: I was repeatedly swept up in the sheer energy and joy on display in Trigger's short film produced for Anime Mirai. Repeat viewings always revealed new little treasures and flourishes. The tale of a witch student at a magical academy learning to believe in herself may be simple, but execution is everything. I get goosebumps every time I see her attempt that final Shiny Arc.

3. Ao no Exorcist: My limited experience with the TV series showed me an entirely unremarkable shounen show, but this movie definitely elevated itself above my expectations, thanks to lush visual design and a strong core relationship between the two lead characters of the movie. From the moment he learns to blow on his food to cool it off, childlike demon Usamaro snuck his way into my heart.

Honorary Wolf Children Award for the 2013 Movie That Will Be High in My 2014 Ranking. Kaguahime Monogatari: It's not just an incredibly beautiful movie, it's also really affecting. Veteran director Takahata uses a style inspired by old Japanese paintings to create a powerful sense of place, drawing out the beauty in the nature that Kaguyahime adores, and the many small joys that come from living. Kaguyahime is a headstrong, beautiful, composed, and vulnerable heroine. I didn't want to let her go when the movie ended. When this gets out of Japan, anyone should make sure to seek it out.

Nephtis

Anime of the year:

Attack on Titan

Top 10:

1: Log Horizon - It's Sword Art Online, but better. To me though, S1 of SAO still beats LH.

2: Hunter x Hunter - It's been top quality. Solid cast.

3: Silver Spoon - One of the best slide of life anime I've ever seen outside of Usagi Drop S1.

4: Kill la Kill - SO MUCH HYPE.

5: Rozen Maiden - Suigintou always steals the show for me.

6: Psycho-pass - Super engaging story. It had some minor faults, but still top quality.

7: Suisei no Gargantia - had the same feel of awesomeness as Heroic Age.

8: Robotics;Notes - The main character was ridiculously annoying, but the story was great. I just really didn't like the main character at all, ugh. Gatchaman did it best with that archetype.

8: Red Data Girl - Great plot, and even better music. the ED is to die for.

10: Golden Time - Really digging this series - plus having NANA in there is a huge plus for me, even if it's not the NANA I wish it was ;_;

Mononoke

Banned
Surprised more people on here haven't seen The Wind Rises, or had it listed. I know those that have seen it have said it's not Miyazaki's best work etc. I'm guessing it's because it's not gotten a more global/english release yet. Or has it?

Or did people just not like it? I haven't seen it myself, but really want to.

EDIT: See posts below, it's in the rules! (I'm an airhead).

sonicmj1

Surprised more people on here haven't seen The Wind Rises, or had it listed. I know those that have seen it have said it's not Miyazaki's best work etc. I'm guessing it's because it's not gotten a more global/english release yet. Or has it?

It hasn't had a home release yet, so it doesn't count.

duckroll

The general rule we have each year is that unless a movie has been released on disc in at least one territory, it is not eligible for voting anyway. It's fair because most anime films aren't available theatrically for many people, while a disc release means that anyone who is interested in watching the film can do so.

Mononoke

Banned
The general rule we have each year is that unless a movie has been released on disc in at least one territory, it is not eligible for voting anyway. It's fair because most anime films aren't available theatrically for many people, while a disc release means that anyone who is interested in watching the film can do so.

I'm an idiot, should have read the rules. My apologies. That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for clarifying, I'll edit my post.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
icarus

you wouldn't say that if you saw the latest chapter

you wouldn't dare

IT HAPPENED

tarheel91

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Anyone who's watched it knows it's the best show of the year. Not even close.

2. The Eccentric Family

3. Servant X Service

4. Nekomonogatari

5. Kill la Kill

6. Shingeki no Kyojin

7. Log Horizon

8. Kyoukai no Kanata

9. Yahari Ore no Seishun LoveCom wa Machigatteiru

10. Arpeggio of Blue Steel

OVAs
Little Witch Academia

Shows
1. Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova
This series was the big winner for me this year. I don't know how to explain it other than it made me cry, and I hardly every cry. There were just some extremely powerful scenes in this series which caught my by surprise.

2. Girls und Panzer
3. The World God Only Knows
I came into this series late, but I'm glad I did because I instantly became a huge fan by the time the season was over.

4. Another
5. Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
Its Railgun, I like Railgun. This season ended up being better than season 1 imho. Loved the dark themes

6. Suisei no Gargantia
7. Choujigen Game Neptune: The Animation
8. Yuushibu
9. Space Brothers
10.Noucome

wsippel

Banned
Shows:

Kill la Kill
Hataraku Maou-sama!
JoJo
Highschool DxD New
Samurai Flamenco
Yozakura Quartet
Symphogear G
Gatchaman Crowds
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
Vividred Operation

Movies/ OVAs:

Little Witch Academia
Ghost in the Shell: Arise

I voted for Kill la Kill and Samurai Flamenco because the utter insanity those two shows put on display already provided me with so much entertainment, both shows could turn to shit in their second halves and they'd still rank really, really high. Vividred only managed to make the list because I just noticed that I only completed ten shows last year, and that show at least managed to not get dropped, so that's something I guess. The biggest surprise of the year was definitely Maou-sama, similar to Ben-to a few years ago: A show with an interesting and weird hook that manages to be much better than it has any right to be, and one of the very few shows I actually looked forward to every week.

Metrotab

Banned
Shows:

1. Non Non Biyori

The apotheosis of healing anime. Finely crafted in every way.

2. Hataraku Maou-Sama

Legitimately funny anime comedy. I actually laughed out loud during this series. Few comedy anime have that distinction.

3. Love Lab

The best selection out of the "highschool girls doing stuff" genre for this year. Has the Yuru Yuri feel.

Nephtis

Aw nice, RDG wasnt forgotten by some, still a memorable fun little series that was a highlight during its season. I miss Manatsu, Miyuki, and all.

It's actually kinda funny -- the ED song is what made the anime for me. Masumi Ito's music is generally highly regarded by me, I just love her style. This song though, for some reason it just grabs me and I actually get a little depressed when the song ends.

Here's the song if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2ieWPwGoTE

But yeah, it's the mysticism of the song that got me to check out, and enjoy RDG as much as I did. Of course, it doesn't mean the anime isn't great on its own -- it's freaking fantastic!

CTW6WtH.png

2. Garden of Words - Makoto Shinkai's most mature piece to date. Garden of Words has a very poetic structure to the dialogue and story. The themed are a little too on the nose, but the gentle subtlety of how scenes are framed more than make up for it. Easily Shinkai's most beautiful animation to date, the film tells a very simple human story about how the connection between people regardless of age or background, can have a profound impact.

I didn't know there was a new Shinkai movie, thanks for this!

Wubby

I really don't watch a lot, if at all. But here's the few I've cared about the past year (and to be honest mostly from a modeling standpoint):

Show:
-Gundam Build Fighters. I've been quite surprised by this show. Quite addicting! And some great new models have come from this series.
-Yamato 2199
-Girls und Panzer

OVA:
-Gundam Unicorn Episode 6

Kaze Tachinu would be my movie choice if it were allowed. What about Gundam Unicorn Episode 6? Would that count as a movie or...? It was released last year iirc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kaze Tachinu would be my movie choice if it were allowed. What about Gundam Unicorn Episode 6? Would that count as a movie or...? It was released last year iirc.
It counts as an OVA so you can vote for it in the movie/OVA category.

kiryogi

Banned
Reserved! Work in progress.

1 - Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ; The absolute surprise of the year and definitely in my top of all time. GHALE DOMEL
2 - Monogatari Season 2 ; Monogatari has always had a place in my heart, even with Nise. The stakes went up really high this time around, and delivered beautifully
3 - Shin Sekai Yori ; I only wish this had a better budget, but be damned if this wasn't an amazing piece of Science Fiction. One I would openly recommended to mainstream friends and family
4 - Nagi no Asukara ; I've had a love and hate relationship with Okada, and I won't deny that I've been just waiting for her to disappoint me here. . . But she hasn't. In fact, I'm extremely hooked. The worldview itself was captivating enough, but the drama and relationships these characters share is something that's really been one hell of a ride. If she keeps this up, maybe it'll actually be the best original work from Okada yet.
5 - Aku no Hana ; Holy, what in awkward. Despite all that, major biggest thing here is that it hits really close to home.
6 - Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta ; Another surprise. Really solid animation, sound and visual direction. I'm extremely sad this isn't longer and looking forward to the Tsuki ni Naku OADs. Panty shots aside, it's another one I'd openly recommend to the mainstream.
7 - Love Lab ; Charming, so much Sakuga, so much fantastic chemistry.
Movies:

1 - Wolf Children ; Probably IMO the best Hosoda film to date. Never has child raising been made so charming in an animated form
2 - Little Witch Academia ; TRIGGER!
3 - Garden of Words ; Also probably Shinkai's best work to date, and happiest? . . .Somewhat.

Honorable Mention

Kill la Kill ; Pacing and animation issues is what keeps this off my AOTY. But I look forward to this show every week, and trigger = gods. It's just not quite there as AOTY material. But hey, honorable mention is something.

Jex

It really warms my cold, dead, decaying heart to see so much love for Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

jrcbandit

Movies:
Wolf Children
(haven't watched any others this year...)

I see numerous recommendations for Little Witch Academia - how is the Bluray import?

TV shows:
1) Yamato 2199 (just started watching it thanks to this thread and more than halfway through it - I love it!!!!)
2) Hunter X Hunter 2011 (replaced One Piece as my favorite Shonen show)
3) Girls und Panzer (girls and tanks - nuff said)
4) Gundam Build Fighters (great animation, Gundam fan service to the extreme)
5) Attack on Titan (really interesting premise but relies too much on Shonen tropes)
6) Kill la Kill (over the top insanity)
7) Silver Spoon (surprised I loved a show about farming & husbandry so much)
8) Hajime no Ippo season 3 (more Ippo is always welcome, current fight is epic)
9) Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (fun show, nice balance between action, comedy, and daily lives of the characters)
10) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - (loved Part 2: Battle Tendencies and the protagonist's predictions - he's a badass)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom