• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2013 - Voting Thread [Voting Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
TV Shows:
1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Excellently planned and executed space opera.
2. Eccentric Family - Charming magical realist depiction of tenuki life.
3. Flowers of Evil - Breathtakingly atmospheric depiction of a teenage life consumed by guilt and emptiness, brought down somewhat by its non-ending.
4. Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta - Cool action, surprisingly compelling characters. Middle stronger than the end.
5. Rozen Maiden - Engrossing depiction of young adult malaise, doll plot in the latter episodes not as interesting.
6. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Battle Tendency) - The craziness of the characters and plot and the style covers for the production deficiencies.
7. Jewelpet Kira Deco - Hilarious absurdist comedy disguised as an innocent little girl show.
8. Girls Und Panzer - Great tank battles.
9. Silver Spoon - Solid depiction of farming life with good characters.
10. Love Lab - Fabulous comedy, dull drama.

Movies:
1. Wolf Children - A meditation on motherhood that is among the best animated movies I've seen.
2. Blue Exorcist: The Movie - Striking background design and a surprisingly strong emotional core drive this movie to success.
3. Gintama: The Final Chapter - All you could ask from a Gintama film.

Nibel

1. Attack On Titan
2. Hunter X Hunter

I don't watch much anime, but those two are pretty excellent despite some issues with the Trost arc in Titan. I need to continue JoJo at some point though

boo

Gold Member
TV:
1. Hunter x Hunter
-Boys out on adventure. How can an anime last over 100 episodes, and kick the shit out of almost any other anime I have ever seen?

2. Shingeki no Kyojin

3. Uchuu Kyodai

4. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru
-Main character Hachiman struck a cord. My number one anime character of the year.

5. Chihayafuru 2
-Go Taichi! Great sports anime. Also includes a stupid girl.

6. Zetsuen no Tempest

7. Ginga Kikoutai: Majestic Prince

8. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai NEXT

9. Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

10. Toriko

Film/OVA:
1. Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA

jbug617

Banned
01. Silver Spoon- Favorite show of 2013. Everything is great for me. It doesn't try to do too much and the characters/story flows really well.
02- Non Non Biyori- Surprise hit for me. I didn't think I would like it from the description but the power of Renge comes out in the show.
03. Girls Und Panzer- Finished in 2013 and I like the characters and the action
04. Hataraku Maou-sama!- The characters are what makes this show
05. Love Lab- Riko and Maki makes a great team
06. Yuusha ni Narenakatta - Very similar to #4.
07. Servant X Service- Workplace anime that while is similar to Working!! (same author) still has it's own personality
08. Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko- Story is crazy but Tsukiko is good.
09. Outbreak Company- Also surprise show for me. The plot is out there but it works.
10. Koutora-San- This anime has the craziest first 10 minutes I think I ever watched.
Movie/OVA Top 3

1. Wolf Children- I went into this skeptical saying it can't be that good from what people are saying. When I was finished it lived up to the hype.
2. One Piece: Strong World- This came out originally in Japan in 2009 but released in the US in 2013. I like the adventures of the Straw Hats. The weakness to this movie for me is that they really didn't do much with the villagers.
3. Kuroko no Basket: Idiots Can't Win!- This OVA came out at the end of the year and is based on a chapter in the manga where Kagami needs help to bring his grades up. There wasn't much basketball but a lot of comedy involving the team.

Gazoinks

Shows:

1. The Flowers of Evil - If most anime idealizes high school as the glory days of youth, Flowers of Evil does the opposite. High school is a socially awkward hell-hole stuck in an ugly decaying town. It's a powerful and raw show, supported by beautiful backgrounds and excellent use of sound and music. And yes I do like the rotoscoping. :p The end of episode 7 and the beginning of episode 8 are some of the most powerful scenes in any anime I've seen.

2. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Excellent, excellent space opera. Outstanding art direction, great retro-modern aesthetic, and a large cast of well-developed characters. YAAAAMAAAAATOOOOOOO

3. From the New World - A dark, mature story plagued by poor production values (although some great moments of visual design as well). Which is a shame because the show itself is really good. Morally ambiguous, powerful, and epic. Although its premise is somewhat familiar, the story it tells is pretty unusual for anime and TV as a whole.

4. The Eccentric Family - At times maddeningly vague, but this show had a lot of heart, looked great, and handled both drama and comedy with aplomb.

5. Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen - I haven't watched the original, but this stands on its own pretty well. The highlight of the series was Jun's arc from a pathetic sadsack to turning around his own life and becoming happy with himself, the supernatural business was just a vehicle for that. Aided by a nice sense of style in the visuals and direction.

6. Kyousougiga - Built up from a nonsensical OVA, Kyousougiga TV manages to make sense, be a lot of fun, and pack a solid emotional core. Things became a bit wobbly in the last few episodes, but it concluded well and it was a good ride. Also lots of great visuals.

7. Log Horizon - It may not be as high-minded as some of the entries on this list, but Log Horizon is some of the most fun I've had watching a recent anime. Excellent pacing, an awesome protagonist, fun characters, and a unique approach to its MMO world all make it stand out. Oh and DATABASE DATABASE JUST LIVIN IN THE DATABASE WOAH OH.

8. Yozakura Quartet - Hana no Uta - Works equally well as a shounen action series and charming slice of life show. The animation was strong, the characters were likable, and the action was excellent (and supported by some nicely creative powers). Brought down a bit by unnecessary perviness and being a chunk of a larger story, but still an extremely enjoyable show.

9. Kill La Kill - Wacky action comedy that's pretty awesome when it's on, but suffers from pacing issues, some flat characters, and dull fights. Hopefully the 2nd half will improve on these problems.

10. Samurai Flamenco - This show is like watching someone who took acid and then keeps taking more and you kinda want to stop him because you're afraid he might hurt himself but it's too much fun watching him do crazy things and occasionally say something disarmingly smart. Mark my words: It's all in Goto's head.

Movies & OVAs:

1. Wolf Children - One of the best animated movies I've seen. Powerful, touching story alongside great art and music.

2. Little Witch Academia - Beautifully animated, funny, and filled with heart. LWA is a great OVA, and honestly probably the best thing Trigger's done so far.

3. Saint Young Men - The idea of Jesus and Buddha sharing an apartment in modern Japan is either the best or worst thing ever. Thankfully, Saint Young Men is a wonderfully light-hearted and fun movie, that has a lot of fun with its characters while still coming off very affectionate for both religions. Jesus so kawaii.

Here's some semicolons: ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Inferno Cop is not listed because it transcends the medium.

Tentative List in the Making

Top Ten of The Year

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199

This is good shit. Like... it fits well with an overseas audience that hasn't been exposed to a great deal of anime that actually exists, and it fits well in terms of what they've been exposed to for the most part. Quite the rousing update to an old classic.

2. Eccentric Family
3. Rozen Maiden 2013

I felt this was a summer surprise. Considering the aspect of fighting dolls wasn't entirely interesting, as well as the infamous desu that took place in the older series, I wasn't too privy on trying this out until other members of AnimeGAF said otherwise. Dolls aren't exactly the main focus of the show. For a while, it's more on Jun's growth as a character in an alternate universe in where he did not wind the doll. As a result, it made the show rather compelling to see how Jun acted, how he changed, and how he was treated over the course of the show... before the dolls gained even more focus for the last bit of the show.

4. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Battle Tendency)

Battle Tendency was a massive step up for those who were bored by Phantom Blood. Comes with a great Jojo protagonist, and one I would like to see more of when it comes to being represented. There's probably one boring moment, and that's because it's a training episode. Anyway, the wits are all here, from commentary to battle strategies. It made me take on reading the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga, and I hope the Stardust Crusaders anime turns out well.

5. Girls und Panzer

Girls and tanks? This will be like other moeblob animes! NOPE! More engaging than I actually expected, and I only discovered it from watching a shit awards show. Helps that fanservice isn't a thing for the main show.

6. Gundam Build Fighters

To think, a show that solely exists to sell Gunplas is actually pretty good. I think that since it's not burdened by a serious story of sorts, it allows it more range for Gundam fights to be exciting without much worry for politics. A treat for people who are Gundam fans, but it still stands on its own if you don't have much experience with the franchise.

7. Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Great adaption of a fantastic shonen series known for its Hiatus status. The Chimera Ant arc in general is bloody fantastic.

8. Hataraku Maou-Sama

9. Non Non Biyori

A slice of life anime that's rather chill and atmospheric, fitting for the country side setting of the show. It sets up several dynamics in terms of character relationships while setting up more in the future. First few episodes (or at least 3 and 4) feel drastically different from what is normally offered. Character focus is pretty well balanced.

10. Aikatsu!
A pretty fun idol based anime that utilizes CG. Gets better over time, and has a wealth of cast members to root for. Not a lot of drama, so it's easy to soak in.

Movies/OVAs

1. Wolf Children
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Saint Young Men

Honorable Mentions

1. Yuyushiki
2. Kiniro Mosaic
3. Love Lab

Dishonorable Mentions

1. DokiDoki Precure
2. Oreimo 2

Do I really need to spell this out?

I don't appreciate you nazis demanding some comment, one day the people will rise up.

1.Hunter X Hunter

2.From the New World - forebording small town horror atmosphere, good world building, I was completely sucked in. It seemed like it was losing the plot somewhere around the middle but the ending pulled everything together magnificently and triumphantly, and it did it all with one line, this show's ambition makes it a must watch.

3.Space Battleship Yamato

4.Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

5.Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

6.Attack on Titan

7.Kill la Kill

8. Inferno Cop - give OP the death penalty for making me write comments, but really it's best, funniest, no budget thing ever for the first few episodes, the laughs stopped around the middle/end but overall I won't forget INFERNO COP.

9.The Devil is a Part Timer - I don't usually like shows like this but the concept interested enough for me to take a look, can't say it made me laugh out loud or anything but I liked it enough to complete, like I said it was really the concept itself that I enjoyed and seeing how they ran with it was entertaining.

10. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

OVA:
Death Billiards - only one I've watched so it wins by default lol. It told a lot of story in its one episode but it was really that final moment, that one smirk that elevated(pun might be intended) the show and sent my mind running wild

LayLa

these backlog shows were better than anything this year

Michiko to Hatchin
Princess Jellyfish
Katanagatari
Wings of Honneamise

1. Eccentric Family - Everything I want from a show - well written dialog, memorable characters, a coherent plot that didn't fall apart at the end (rare in anime). Had some interesting things to say about what it means to eat or be eaten. Oh and it looked great 99% of the time.

2. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - Space opera done right. Had some misgivings about the ending but by then it had built up so much goodwill that I just rolled with it.

3. Monogatari Series: Second Season - Nisioisin is maddeningly inconsistent but the Medusa and Hitagi stories are amongst his best work, smart writing that pulls the rug from under your feet when you least expect it. Shaft are just maddeningly inconsistent full stop.

4. Yuyushiki - Brought me back to my school days, sitting around with friends for hours just goofing around, trying to make each other laugh. awww.

5. Gin no Saji - Slow start but by the end I had grown to love the characters and setting. Parallels with Eccentric Family with its eating/being eaten themes.

6. Non Non Biyori - The comedy was very hit and miss, but when they went for story or emotions they absolutely nailed it. Great scenery and direction throughout.

7. Tamayura More Aggressive - This was shamelessly manipulative at times but even realising that still didn't stop the feels coming. SatoJun knows how to push my buttons I guess. The buttons that control my tear ducts.

8. Kyousou Giga - Didn't quite live up to the OVAs promise but still a good watch.

9. Hataraku Maou-sama! - One of the surprises of the year, looked like trash from the initial descriptions but turned out to be a fun comedy with likeable characters.

10. Tamako Market - Patchy but had some very good episodes/scenes. A missed opportunity though.

Also enjoyed
Aiura
Suisei no Gargantia
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
White Album 2
Servant × Service
Yama no Susume
Genshiken Nidaime

Quasar

Shows
  1. Eccentric Family - pretty much perfect in my eyes. Great setting, good characters and a story that is well told and wraps up nicely. helped that it was based on a singular complete story and not a drawn out manga or LN series.
  2. Log Horizon - A fallen into a game world anime that I've seen that's really about the MMOness in large part. Its more than just a backdrop for a fantasy adventure.
  3. Chihayafuru 2 - continues to be the one sports anime that's ever worked for me. And I don't think its just the exoticness of the game that's kept me going.
  4. Tamayura: More Aggressive - found it very moving and it inspired me to take up photography again.
  5. Golden Time
  6. Non Non Biyori - Renchon. 'nuff said.
  7. Monogatari Second Season
  8. Silver Spoon
  9. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - pretty entertaining snarky comedy that never wore out its welcome for me. Somehow did not get tired of the snark between Hachiman and Yuki.
  10. Minami-ke: Tadaima

Movies/OVA
  1. Garden of Words
  2. Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home
  3. Say "I Love You" OVA - Didn't really do much much but I simply loved being back with these characters.

Honorable Mentions
  • Arpeggio of Blue Steel - Ars Nova - after not liking Girls und Panzer I thought I'd not like this as well. Found it surprisingly moving in parts.
  • Blast of the Tempest
    [*]Gingitsune
    [*]Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W
    [*]Genshiken Nidaime
    [*]White Album 2
    [*]Nagi No Asukara

Old Anime I saw of the First Time This Year
  • Natsume Yuujinchou - it may just be my favourite anime I saw this year.

Shows

1. Highschool DxD New: Issei is one of the best harem male protagonist of all time, the girls are all splendid (Akeno #1), the action is good (BOOST!), and its all uncensored, showing off all the tits and ass in all its glory. What every harem show should thrive to be.

2. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: 8man is the hero anime deserves, but not the one it needs right now. Great cast of characters really made this show remarkable.

3. Hataraku Maou-sama: Funniest show I watched this year. Action was surprisingly good and another show with a memorable cast.

4. Free!: Kyoani's best work last year. Swimming and half naked men have never looked so good!

5. Non Non Biyori: Fall 2013 show of the season. Yet to finish but its going to be on the list regardless.

6. Gintama: Season ended this year, so it barely squeaks in. Still one of the best shows ever and needs another season.

Films/OVA

1. Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya

Is Yamato 2199 not a OVA series? The wikia and Mal say its OVA but then other sources say it isn't.

@BGBW group OVA with TV shows instead of films and put an end to this indecisiveness lol

mhs004

Shows

1. Kill La Kill; Every episode is entertaining and have loved every second of it. Perfect anime for my taste.

2. Hunter X Hunter; a perfect adaptation of the manga

3. Valvrave the Liberator; Very entertaining show, it ended with me wanting more.

4. Watamote; a fun slice of life anime

5. Majestic Prince; had very fun fighting scenes and characters

6. Attack on Titan; liked it alot, helped get some of my friends into anime.

Mortemis

Banned
First AOTY thread for me. Let's do this. The deadline is the end of January, good since I still have tons of shows to watch.

-----------------
Let's start it off with some Honorable Mentions:

Kuroko no Basket: Love this anime a lot, but frankly the first half of the season didn't do much for me. It's beyond awesome right now, but with the dumb battle between kirisaki dai ichi and how annoying they were, this just didn't cut it. I'm sure it'll be in my top 10 next year though, especially if this epicness keeps up.

Samurai Flamenco: The twists in this show are just bat shit crazy, I love it! The moment you get used to a status quo they switch it up and change everything.

Log Horizon: This was a hard decision not including it as much as I loved it, but I decided on keeping AOT instead. This show is definitely something though, very enjoyable with the best OP in the game.

Valvrave: Lmao, no way in hell this is in my top 10 but it definitely needs a shoutout. This was just hot shit going over 100mph and never stopped until it hit the fan in the last episode. It was stupid as all hell, but I still ended up enjoying it. Fuck Shouko though. Blitzendegen!

Top 10 TV AOTY:

10. Shingeki no Kyojin
CIV2Jsj.jpg

Entertaining definitely, but I felt like it was missing a lot of things. But I enjoyed it enough for it to make this list.

9. Silver Spoon
8wEa7NN.jpg

Hachiken's struggles are real. It was a good ride watching the first season, and pretty funny.

8. Kill la Kill
hhtR9vl.jpg

DON'T LOSE YOUR WAAYYYY. Hype got to me. Almost every episode was intense and fast, just the way I like it. It kinda started to slack imo in the natural elections but it started to pick up again. Love it.

7. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU.
G5NvEnP.jpg

This was actually a pretty big surprise show for me, didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. The MC was awesome, much better than the betas out there, proved you didn't need to be pitiful just because you're introverted in anime.

6. Suisei No Gargantia
jFFDd8Z.jpg

Urobutcher at it again. The first half was pretty chill and enjoyable, but that change half way through was crazy and great too. Speaking of Urobutcher, I really need to get to watching Psycho Pass.

5. Gatchaman Crowds
E18yZNg.jpg

GATCHA. Idk what it was about this show, but it was great. Nice change from the usual hero shows we see. Nui and Hajime were great, the characters in this show really drove it for me. I'm happy there'll be a second season.

4. Hataraku Maou-sama
s9qaQfd.jpg

Badass MC working at Mcdonalds? xD I loved the characters in this, and even though it got pretty daily lives for me near the end of the show, it still entertained throughout its whole run. Hope it'll get a second season.

3. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
aP7ZfVr.jpg

Always been a pretty big Jojo fan, so it's obvious this is so high in my list. I personally thought that David productions did a great job with this, really entertaining. The second half that aired in 2013 was definitely the better part for me too. Season 2 will probably be on my list for 2014. :lol

2. Gintama': Enchousen
TjnH7Fi.jpg

Ah, Gintama. Can't be a year of anime for me without Gintama. It was short and full of re-airs, but this season still got to me. The mix of comedy, feels, and action can only be truly combined by none other than Gintama for me.

1. Hunter x Hunter

What can I say, this anime never disappoints. It was my AOTY last year, the year before that, and now this year for the three-peat. The adaptation has just been almost perfect, Madhouse can't get enough credit from me. From the overall atmosphere to faithfulness to the manga (other than one or two changes here and there), this has been incredible. It also helps that they are adapting the Chimera ant arc, though it's only really focused on the first half it's still been a great ride. The OST has always been a hit or miss in this anime, but this year imo they really hit it on the mark. They were able to really show the character development of the two main characters well and got their personalities spot on too. The animation has been great too. But even with all that, the most important thing of it all is that I enjoyed it, and god damn that's an understatement. The show had me on my toes and shaking with excitement throughout the whole year, I even knew what was going to happen since I read the manga but I still felt just as excited to see the next episode as I was when waiting for the next chapter, if not more. Bravo Madhouse, you made a gem in my eyes.

Top 3 Movies:

3. One Piece: Film Z
mhcfMR5.jpg

I gotta say, I really like One Piece movies more than it's anime (huge fan of the manga though). They actually get enough budget to do something good with it, and with Oda writing this movie I just loved it. Action was overall great too.

2. Little Witch Academia
wFgafqA.jpg

Forget KLK, this was Trigger's best work this year! Loved it a lot, and one of the reasons why I was so hyped for Kill la kill. Keep it going based Trigger.

1. Gintama: Kanketsu-hen - Yorozuya yo Eien Nare
BTdeII3.jpg

Once again, it's Gintama. This movie was something special to me, it got to me more than I thought it would. The feels were definitely there, the action was just the way I like it, and the comedy was Gintama quality. I need more Gintama anime, but this was well worth it.

Negator

TV

1. Kill la Kill - The most hype show all year
2. Valvrave the Liberator - Brilliant in terrible ways
3. Suisei no Gargantia
4. Kyoukai no Kanata
5. Bakemonogatari S2
6. Girls und Panzer
7. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya
8. Servant X Service
9. Vividred Operation - Mindless fun
10. Senki Zesshou Symphogear G - See #9

Movie/OVA

1. Wolf Children
2. Little Witch Academia
3. Fairy Tail: Phoenix Priestess

List subject to change.

Blair

Banned
1. The Eccentric Family

Humour, charm and drama, all perfectly balanced with some fantastic visuals. Was sad when it ended.

2. Flowers of Evil

An unnerving wake up call for anime fans who are used to perv shit being endearing. I had to pause at several points just because the tension was so thick i couldn't handle it. Loved the visual style, was basically a 'fuck you, this isn't some cute bullshit, deal with it'

3. Attack On Titan

Fun rollercoaster with insane action. Worthy of the hype, but its probably best watched as a marathon, i felt some pacing issues while it was airing.

4. Silver Spoon

Another charming show with a fun cast that had an authentic setting.

5. Watamote

Brutal. Loved that there was no happy final episode. Been a good year for fucking with anime fans.

6. Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
7. Kuroko’s Basketball
8. Kill La Kill

Of course HxH and space brothers are my favourites but i prefer voting in this years new shit.

Man Eccentric Family is getting love. Hope it takes the top spot.

Morris

Disco Devil
1.- Flowers of Evil - Out-there, dare to be different, emotionally exhausting show.
2.- Non Non Biyori - Nyanpasu~
3.- Eccentric Family
4.- Love Lab

1.- Wolf Children - A better movie than any of ghibli's latest efforts.
2.- Garden of Words - Gorgeous. Also hits real close to home.

Looks like I need to watch Yamato.

jgminto

Shows
1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - The best part of the show was this year. Joseph's fight against the pillar men isn't as exciting as the unadapted Jojo material but it does have a fantastic cast of characters and the best poses around.

2. Inferno Cop - Fuck Kill la Kill, this is Trigger's best work of the year! And you can watch it all right here on youtube.

3. Hataraku Maou-sama! - A charming show about the ruler of a demon army working at mcdonalds. It's a fairly simple concept but the fun characters and hilarious writing really give it life. It has some decent action moments too. Also Chiho > Emi and Suzuno

4. Yuyushiki - Three girls sometimes doing stuff. Really simple, really sweet show that should have sold better than it did. Brings a tear to my eye that there's no chance for a second season.

5. Yowamushi Pedal - Best sports show of the year. So much raging shonen heart, it's impossible to not get pumped. If only it wasn't full of terrible cg...

6. Kyousougiga - A full adaption of an old OVA. The most impressive part of this is they actually turned it into something other than a confusing mess. Now it's a story of the craziest family ever. Koto and Myoue were great the whole way through.

7. Meganebu! - The adventures of the Glasses Club is something more people should watch. It's consistently funny, looks great and has references to both Jojo AND Ace Attorney! I think people passed it thinking it's just a fujoshi show but it's definitely not.

8. Watamote - The story of a super awkward girl going into high school. This show might be too much for some people but I found it hilarious.

9. Gundam Build Fighters - A children's show done right. Some of the best animation of the year. This show actually got me somewhat interested in gundam.

10. Nagi No Asukara - A sweet yet frustrating tale of love between land and sea. Another great looking show, it follows a group of children who live under the sea as they start to attend the school of the coastal village nearby. There's a lot of character growth and love drama throughout the show so if you're into that give it a watch.

Honorable Mentions
Kill la Kill
Aiura
Valvrave
Ace of Diamond
Samurai Flamenco
Turning Girls
Free!
Gargantia
Kotoura-san (GAF's favourite anime)

Movies

1. Little Witch Academia - If only Kill la Kill could look like this. A super fun film, excited for the new one.

aechris

TV

1. Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger; continues to be the greatest.
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; lots of fun, but call me when we get to part 4.

I want to put One Piece here but the anime is near unbearable at this point compared to the comic.

Movie/OVA

1. Evangelion 3.0; so awesome and so retarded.
2. Little Witch Academia; reminded me of high school.
3. Wolf Children; liked it a lot, but liked Summer Wars better.

Dennis

Banned
Series

1. Uchōten Kazoku

2. Shingeki no Kyojin ; lots of animation problems but the show was like crack cocaine

3. Aku no Hana

4. Kill La Kill

5. Suisei no Gargantia

6. Gin no Saji

7. Copellion

8. Shin Sekai Yori

9. Oreimo 2

Series from 2013 I have yet to watch but intend to:

• Uchū Senkan Yamato 2199
  • JoJo no Kimyō na Bōken
---

Movies

1. Little Witch Academia

2. Wolf Children

Movies from 2013 I have yet to watch but intend to:

• Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home
  • Kotonoha no Niwa

Linkhero1

TV

1. Hunter x Hunter (2011); I totally dislike shonen anime after trying to get into One Piece, watching 220 episodes of Bleach and following Naruto up until shit hit the fan and it became ass. I was worried about Hunter x Hunter following the same tired cliches and low animation quality that the anime I listed suffer from. Boy, was I wrong. A lot of gaffers kept on telling me to watch it but I put it off until the end of this year. Although there are some cliches, expect the unexpected. I've caught up and now I have to wait like everyone else :(
2. Attack on Titan; This caught me off guard. I didn't know what it was until I actually watched it myself. Such a brutal anime full of awesome characters.

I didn't watch much this year.

1. Yamato 2199 - Beautiful show, likable characters, beyond delicious sci-fi UIs plus it has Nakata and Wakamoto voicing some crazy guys. The final episodes are tearjerkers.
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - I am laughing most of the time while totally taking it seriously and I'm going to fight some idiots and strike poses.
3. Psycho-Pass - Pretty cool dystopia/utopia dynamic with fun characters in the form of Moe Police, Literature Quoting Cop and Literature Quoting Villain.
4. Gundam Build Fighters - Gundam models are serious business.
5. Kill la Kill - Sensory overload nonsense. Only the last few episodes have started to bring us towards any meaningful plot advancement.
6. Valvrave the Liberator - Take the best and worst of Gundam SEED and Code Geass and make some delicious lunacy out of it. Blitzendegen!
7. Watamote - Exceeded all expectations and turned out really entertaining.
8. Shingeki no Kyojin - A strong setting and an impressive beginning but production problems hurt this show worse than I've ever seen.
9. Hyperdimension Neptunia - I want to build a list of ten. This show was pretty much irredeemable.
10. Oreimo S2 - I want to build a list of ten. This second half of this bullshit show was irredeemable.

1. Gundam Unicorn 6 - I don't even remember what happened here but I'm guessing Riddhe was butthurt and Full Frontal said words.
2. Berserk III: Descent - Not as bad as the previous two. In fact, it was decen-good.
3. Steins;Gate: Deja Vu - Not as good as the show, but an enjoyable watch.

TV/Shows

1. Attack on Titan ; Amazing concept, 3d maneuver gear best invention since forever.
2. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
3. Psycho-pass
4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
5. Hunter x Hunter
6. Hataraku Maou-sama!
7. Valvrave

Movies/OVA

1. Berserk: Golden Age Arc III - Descent ; Decent adaption. It is missing out on some stuff, but overall I liked it.

vocab

Haven't watched one 2013 show besides a few episodes of jojo's just to check it out and see if it isn't a shit show like the other attempts that came before it.

fallagin

1. Kill la Kill: I like the intense emotional quality of the show and am drawn in by the characters.
2. Attack on titan: Again, I like the intense emotional quality of the show and the action is very engaging. The mysteries surrounding the titans makes the show have alot of seeming depth.
3. hunter x hunter: I like how original this show is and the action is superb. The story can be a bit scattershot at times, but there is alot of effort here to make something new and interesting as can be expected from the creator of yuyu hakusho.

This be under construction, yo.

TV
(in approximate reverse order)
5) Watamote A fine demonstration in how to mock otaku. Don't go near if you want character development and don't want large quantities of cringe, though.

4) Love Lab One of those shows that has absolutely no right to be as good as it is. The chemistry between the characters are superb and, one cultural joke that absolutely does not translate abroad aside, the comedy and slapstick is spot on.

3) Servent x Service It's rare to find an anime focused on adults, it's rarer to find a comedy anime that manages to carry off a romance plot with aplomb. This is both. Definitely recommended.

2) The Devil is a Part Timer! The devil from another dimension has disguised himself as a human along with his most loyal servant and got a job at McDonalds. Why the hell is this show so good? Top tier comedy meets good action episodes and overall a very good show, unnecessary final episode aside.

1) Kill la Kill Sometimes, you just want to watch something go wizz-bang. This anime goes wizz-bang, and then some. Sure, the animation quality is probably the worst on this list, but Trigger knows how to get value out of their budget. By which I mean this is only on the top spot because of Mako. Everything else is basically gravy. Spin-off focusing on her, please.

...and that's the sum total of anime I've watched last year. Oh, and a couple of episodes of Mental Choices, but I don't think it's any good.

Theonik

I am not ready to post my list but I need to subscribe to this so I don't forget.
Edit: Since they are on the OP now these are now gone.

Moaradin

I don't watch much new stuff, but this is where I'm at currently:

TV

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - This is an amazing series start to finish. Great animation, music, and characters. It's easily one of the best Space Operas ever made. If you are a fan of the genre, you owe it to yourself to check it out!

2. Hunter x Hunter - It wouldn't be a stretch to call it the best shounen ever made. The anime is beautifully crafted and perfectly paced for something with 100+ episodes.

3. Kill la Kill - The show is just stupid fun and I love every minute of it.

4. Hajime no Ippo: Rising - What can I say. It's Hajime no Ippo.

5. Attack on Titan - even though this anime ended up pretty disappointing to me, It's still very good and deserves to be on this list.

Films/OVA

1. Wolf Children

-Horizon-

Picks for the year
  1. Yuyushiki
  2. Hataraku Maou-sama! (The characters were fun to watch, the story was enjoyable, and Chiho was adorable.)
  3. Suisei no Gargantia (I really liked this show and I still believe, contrary to common internet belief, that Ledo is the main character of the show.)
  4. Non Non Biyori (This show is just one bundle of nostalgia.)
  5. Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova (I went into this show not expecting much because it was all CG but it turned out the show was decently animated and the action scenes looked good. The Mental Models of the show really helped carry the show forward. Also Kongou <3)
  6. Gingitsune
  7. Shinsekai yori
  8. Sunday Without God
Honorable mentions

I included shows here that I haven't finished yet:

• Monogatari Season 2 (I did not care for Hanekawa's arc but after that point the show got really good. I enjoyed Shinobu Time the most so far and from what I've seen of Hitagi End, will end on a strong note.)
  • Yowamushi Pedal (I did not expect a sports anime to be this good but so far the characters are still pretty entertaining.)
  • Kill la Kill (This show is just so crazy and over the top, I love it.)
  • Nagi no Asukara (Those visuals, the middle school drama, I like it.)
Shows I have finished:
  • Oreshura (Because <3 Chiwa)
  • Kiniro Mosaic (This show was just so darn cute.)
  • Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya

1. Attack on Titan ; No anime could ever match its greatness. Amazing Characters in an Amazing world.

Suppose I should put my actual list now.

Films/OVA
1. Wolf Children: One of the most beautiful films I've seen this year. Its a simple story about a single mother struggling to raise her children but its told with such grace and poetic beauty that it brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion.

2. Garden of Words: Makoto Shinkai managed to salvage his reputation in my eyes after the dreadful Children who Chase Lost Voices. He still goes back to the well with one too many times with the story but the visuals are unparalleled.

3. Little Witch Academia: As a debut for a fledgling studio, Trigger couldn't have asked for a better one with LWA. Yoh Yoshinari did a fantastic job directing this colorful and charming piece. So much so I was eager to donate to the Kickstarter for a second piece.

TV
1. Aku no Hana
2. The Eccentric Family
3. Kyosougiga
4. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
5. Silver Spoon
6. Attack on Titan
7. From the New World
8. Samurai Flamenco
9. Gundam Build Fighters
10. Chihayafuru 2

Well, didn't watch much anime this year but I'll vote since I voted last year.

Films:
1. Garden of Words- Just like every Shinkai film, it's gorgeous. The story and the music, especially the music, were all great. I would go in depth about the story and characters but I won't. It's not as great as 5 centimeters per second, but still a must watch.

Anime:
1. Flower of Evil- While this anime received harsh criticism early on, I loved it right away. I was hooked from episode one and wish this continue. I have no intention to read the manga, but I probably will since Goodnight Punpun ended.

I would have added Wolf children but I really disliked the first 30 minutes of it. The rest was really good.

Hagi

This will get edited as i move through my huge backlog of TV series
Lol who am i kidding..

OVA/MOVIE

Should be #1 but can't for reasons Yoyo and Nene

Had the good fortune of catching this at Scotland Loves Anime. Absolutely loved it, so full of colour and energy. Even managed to pull the heartstrings somewhat.

Actual #1 Little Witch Academia

Only thing wrong with this is that the sequel isn't out yet.

TBC Space Battleship Yamato 2199

I've been watching this on and off between releases and now it's finally done it's time to blow through it.

It was like 26 (?) episodes and was on TBS.

It would still fall under OVA seeing as it was released straight to DVD before being aired.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
1. Maou Maoyuu Yuusha ; Nothing held my attention in a solid grip like that. Mercantile Fantasy will always hold the dearest spot in my heart.
2. Psycho-Pass ; I'm a sucker for social uto\dystopias.
3. Log Horizon ; All that SAO should've been and wasn't.
4. Yamato 2199 ; Old but gold. The very definition of.
5. Attack on Titan ; I don't know how much production values had to deal with it, but i suspect more than a pinch.
6. JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure; Crazy awesome.
7. Gin no Saji ; I admit i watched this only because it was Arakawa's: A very, very nice surprise.
8. Valvrave ; It's gotta rank. I mean, it has CALL ME MOSES.
9. Gundam Build fighters ; What do you mean it's yu-gi-oh with gundams? How is that awesome?
It is.
10. Kill la Kill ; Over-the-top awesome. A bit too fanservicey, but hey.

DiGiKerot

OVA/MOVIE

1. Yoyo and Nene

Had the good fortune of catching this at Scotland Loves Anime. Absolutely loved it, so full of colour and energy. Even managed to pull the heartstrings somewhat.

As much as I'd probably include this myself otherwise, if it didn't get a disk release in Japan in 2013 (and it wouldn't have, given it's barely been in Japanese theatres a week), than it's not eligible for the AotY polls this year.

Hagi

As much as I'd probably include this myself otherwise, if it didn't get a disk release in Japan in 2013 (and it wouldn't have, given it's barely been in Japanese theatres a week), than it's not eligible for the AotY polls this year.

giphy.gif

I forgot we got it as an exclusive.

DiGiKerot

giphy.gif

I forgot we got it as an exclusive.

To be fair, I think there's only three of us on here who saw the movie, so even if all three of us put it at the top (which I wouldn't because Wolf Children), it wouldn't really stand much chance!

Lirlond

Just passing by to vote for

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

tumblr_mkicjiUA5f1qdiw9jo4_500.gif

As a long time fan of the series, I really enjoyed this adaption. It hit all the hight points on the head, and despite some animation difficulties was still the most stylish and fun thing I watched all year.

Hagi

To be fair, I think there's only three of us on here who saw the movie, so even if all three of us put it at the top (which I wouldn't because Wolf Children), it wouldn't really stand much chance!

Better to save defeat for next year then. Man i can't even vote for Short Peace!

Shows:

1. Attack on Titan
2. Golden Time

Films:

1. Puella Magi Madoka Magica The Movie 3: Rebellion

That is all. Ano hana film won't be out until next year in the U.S.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
1. Kill la Kill

Intense action, amazing comedy, Mako, and rainbow haired yuri. The first couple episodes were quite the ride, though it did lose steam for a short period. From what we've just seen from the second half though it may appear to be on the track for greatness, and from what fun we've had so far overall, I think it's safe to say it will remain to be my #1.

2. Kiniro Mosaic

MVoWNxV.png
juiaO2y.png

(Pictured left is Aya "Ayaya" & Yoko, the OTP of KinMoza)

After it's incredible pilot episode, Kiniro Mosaic nuzzled into the hearts of viewers by providing a story of love and the beauty on how it can overcome language barriers. With a comedic focus as its center, you'll both laugh and hurrah at the obvious flags and hints for specific couples.

3. Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

5sYcgmt.jpg

(Ymir & Christa, the OTP of Shingeki no Kyojin)

Tons of action, epic music, and females that can hold their own? Salvation! Based Mikasa gets shit done! Most importantly, A TRUE AND TRUE LESBIAN CHARACTER. THANK YOU. Though we have yet to see her much in the anime, Ymir (the brunette) has shown to be one of the best characters in the manga and her motives that drive her character shakes me at my very soul. I cannot wait for the second season so we can hopefully see her get some time in the spotlight.

4. Monogatari Second Season

SHAFT doing the lord's work. Wonderful female characters and wicked humor to boot. Probably one of the few (if not, the only) show where I can appreciate the male lead. Quite rare I say!

5. Non Non Biyori

vMm96gb.gif
TnAaMxI.jpg

Pictured left: Komari and Hotaru.

Another kickback show with damn good visual backgrounds and the occasional hints of yuri. The first episode had a more calm, relaxed nature to it, but moving forward the following episodes developed into the "cute girls do cute things" formula which was either a hit or miss with the viewers. Personally I enjoyed it quite a bit and would definitely recommend it for anyone wanting something to watch during the summer time.

6. Love Lab

A3DaYG8.png
X2RcRBS.png

Pictured left: Enomoto & Makio, the OTP of Love Lab

Let's see. A pristine, girls only school, a tomboyish badgirl main lead that has all the girls falling for her, and a student council president who's aura of elegance is a thin veil that hides her immaturity? Winner! Mix that with some insane sakuga moments and you have Love Lab, a story of two girls who meet by circumstance and decide to form a club in the hopes to improve their love life. While the downside is that the majority of the characters are into guys, we do have the saving grace in the form of Enomoto, who happens to fall in love with Makio (
Maki crossdressing as a boy
).

7. Love Live

IDOL CULTURE. Really energetic show about a girl wanting to create an idol group in the hopes of making her school popular again in order to prevent it from being shutdown. While the main goal was to keep the school's gates open, her passion for music was brought to a whole new level where her sights were now set on being the best idol group ranked on the net and to earn a spot at the popular idol competition dubbed Love Live. The character art is gorgeous when close up shots are called for, otherwise enjoy the "spectacular" CG dancing during song numbers. Get ready for season two! There are no OTPs as all the girls belong to Nozomi Tojo.

8. Yuyushiki

aHyAkRa.png
HoqUWcc.png

Pictured left: Yuzuko and Yukari. Pictured right: Yui and Aikawa.
Both tie in OTP.... soooo TTP?

A kickback show with yuri undertones. This show has some amazing face expressions that really add to the delivery of their jokes. While the show lacked energy/punch in a few episodes, overall it was really solid and a joy to watch.

9. Aku no Hana

10. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

11. Gundam Build Fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom