• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

TV Anime:

1) Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: By far, this is the best anime of 2016. The subject matter is fascinating, and the show doesn't rush us through any of it; we get to see several rakugo performances at length throughout its run, and it gives its viewer an appreciation and understanding of the art. This is on top of its well realized cast (Yakumo and Sukeroku being the standouts, of course) and excellent direction (the performance of Shinigami in the tenth episode being my favorite scene of any 2016 anime). If you have to watch any anime that aired in 2016, this abolsutely should be your first priority.

2) Mob Psycho 100: The animation in this show is simply incredible. It's not just the amazingly fluidity of it either, but how creative its visuals and techniques are (the scenes with the oil painted frames being my personal favorite). While the story is simple and the humor is hit and miss, the characters are enjoyable and relatable.
While its ideas are nothing groundbreaking, their execution and the presentation of them is remarkable.

3) The Great Passage: I never thought that a show about people making a dictionary could be so interesting! I enjoyed the unique subject of the show, and seeing the characters meeting the different challenges of compiling a dictionary (from technical challenges to the apathy of the company and public) was a lot of fun to watch. Seeing how everyone changed and grew throughout the vast amount of time the project took was a joy.

4) Kiznaiver This silly little show really surprised me with how relatively restrained it was; not just for a Trigger production, but for one written by Okada as well. This really worked out to its benefit, and I really appreciated the focus on characters rather than over-the-top action. A lot of interesting ideas and good characters in this one, as silly as the show was at times.

5) Flying Witch: The most relaxing show of the year! I love anime like this, that focus on building a calming atmosphere through the daily lives of its characters. Best of all was its portrayal of magic; never bombastic, but always very simple and ordinary. It made it feel far more real than magic often appears in anime.

6) Yuri on Ice: While this show has its issues (a few too many characters, and a bit of repetitiveness with its skating sequences), I loved seeing how Yuri, Yurio, and Viktor grew throughout the series. Yuri and Viktor's relationship in particular was great, but I wish the show had the backbone to make it more explicit. While it's apparent to the viewer that they're in love, the show dances close to the line without truly committing itself to exploring much of their relationship. It was very good, but it could have been better. In short, make it more[/I gay.

7) Erased: The second half of this series was admittedly weaker than the first, but I don't really think that ruins the good that it did. The show was tense, and it had a number of well directed moments that stick with me even now (there was a great match cut where a characters eyes transition into a set of lights, for example). There's also some legitimately heartwarming moments with the cast members.

8) Amanchu: Another very relaxing show, with some more humorous moments dropped in throughout. While the frequent muppet faces can be at odds with the tone sometimes, overall I enjoyed myself. Futaba was a very relatable character to watch, and I enjoyed seeing her brought out of her shell by Hikari. The depiction of deep sea diving was great as well; it really makes it feel serene.

9) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable : While the middle of the series is middling, the beginning and end are both fantastic. Rather than the dull direction that Stardust Crusaders took, DiU fully embraces absurdity and gets really creative with its stand battles. My second favorite part so far, with some of the best action sequences in the series. I only wish it could have been more consistent.

10) Sound! Euphonium 2: While it's not as good as the first season, I really appreciated their exploration of Asuka's character. The visuals, and the music sequences, were great as usual.

Honorable Mentions:

Orange
Flip Flappers
Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE!

Movies/Specials/OVAs:
(As much as I wanted to, I was not able to go to the film festivals showing Your Name and A Silent Voice)

1) Doukyusei: While the story itself is simple, I appreciated the intense focus on the main characters' romance. The vignette structure worked very well, showing key moments and developments in their relationship over time. While the drama isn't complicated, the characters felt real to me. The film is also visually beautiful, with great animation and a fantastic art style. I'd love to see the follow-up manga adapted in a similar fashion.

2) Harmony: The bleakest anime film of the year by far. Completely and utterly devoid of any hope, but directed in a way that made me feel incredibly unsettled. Micheal Arias' second film raises some interesting questions about the nature of human consciousness, and comes to some disturbing conclusions that I'm not sure if I agree with. Nonetheless, I was very impressed with this film and look forward to seeing more from him.

3) High Speed! Free Starting Days: Honestly, the movie was just fun for me to watch; the story isn't anything to write home about, but I liked seeing the characters help each other with their own personal issues. As expected of a KyoAni production, it also has great visuals.

4) Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu: This might have the best action sequences and best animation out of anything this year. They really are a joy to watch. However, I was put off by some of the super male-gazey shots; I don't know if they're more prominent in these films or if I'm just noticing them more as an older viewer. That's Monogatari for you, I guess.

5) Mobile Police Patlabor Reboot: It's short, but it's a great look at the potential a new Patlabor anime has. I'd love to see more of what the Patlabor world would be like in more recent times; hopefully we'll get the chance!

pbayne

TV Series:

1. Osomatsu-san ; It speaks volume for this show that I still think regularly and laugh about the zany skits almost a year after it aired. The improvement in the show's second half was huge and it was already pretty good to begin with. It out-Gintamed Gintama.

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu ; Its already got lavish praise so ill keep it simple. No other show had me more invested in its story or characters.

3. Mob Psycho 100 ; Fuck sake BONES make season 2 already.

4. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; Its sooo opulent. Every facet of this show just works. For me the fights and the ”LOLpuppets" aren't the highlights though. It's when characters start talking and scheming that the show really shines. Remarkable cause I like Urobuchi and all but he's usually not great at dialogue. (or more specifically, writing convincing human dialogue). So maybe puppets is his true calling card.

5. Flip Flappers ; Imploded quite a bit(a lot) in its last few episodes but 1-8 were top notch.

6. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable; I was gonna try and keep sequels out but fuck every JoJo is so different it might as well be a new show each time. Had its rough patches no doubt and for DavePro the strain was evident at times but still a very slick, fun package all around. And Kira was worth the hype.

7. Gi(a)rlish Number; Just the right amount of snark/reality/bullshit version of reality and some genuinely compelling characters. Chitose and Kuzu-san for the win.

8. Poco's Udon World ; I got to pick one slice of life show and Poco was just slightly ahead of the pack for me. Sorry Flying Witch and Amanachu.

9. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou ; Show was very CHILL OUT. Funky and unique, probably my one big gripe was that I wish there was a little more music variety.

10 Kuromukuro.; Lol I don't want to pick another SOL and this was a decent action show. Some of the writing is really sloppy and I could nit-pick it to death over certain things but when it focused on its main plot and mecha action it was a very enjoyable show.

Movie/OVAs:

1. GARO Dinine Flame; Best anime anything I watched this year. This is the best fantasy series since Berserk and possibly the best action movie since Sword of the Stranger. Watch GARO. Not the second season.

2. Classmates; No frills, simple, sweet love story.

3. Shelter; I was kind of indifferent to it but id still say it's worth everyone's time checking it out.

Honorable Mentions:

x. Haikyuu and Gintama; They are both getting a bit long in the tooth for me (especially Haikyuu) but I can't deny that they are still both very awesome shows.

x. Yuri on Ice; Can't fault the level of ambition this show was shooting for. Plus it gave the world JJ and the best character theme in years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hnnYid7vvw

x. Digimon Universe Appli Monsters; Continues to impress me every week. It'll probably be on my top 10 next year if it keeps it up.

x. Galko-chan[/B and Nurse Witch Komugi-chan]-I laughed at them.

x. Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song-It was an absolute mess in a lot of ways and in the end I didn't feel it had anything particularly unique to say that hasn't been done to death in millions of western comics but the show had a cool aesthetic and some interesting individual concepts and episodes.

Mokoi

Banned
TV Series
1. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Had no idea what this was about going in, but dam that was a surprise. Had me all emotional was totally not crying at last ep.

2. Thunder Bolt Fantasy: Not anime, but most enjoyment out of all the shows I watched.

3. Mob Psycho 100: Stylish, funny, and nice fights.

4. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou.: Two words. “Rainy Lenny” https://youtu.be/U6PX6v6swys

5. Kuromukuro: Filled the void of mecha and disappointing Macross Delta.

6. Flying Witch: Relaxing af.

7. Tanka-kun is Always Listles: Relaxing af.

8. JoJo' Bizare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable: Its JoJo

9. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash: Enjoyed this because of kids in fantasy world, but they aint OP they be struggling to get by.

10. ReLIFE: Could have been weird, but was actually decent for the premise.

Disappointment of the Year: Macross Delta.

Timeless

TV Series:
1. Sekko Boys; Doesn't overstay its welcome. The whole show is less than 90 minutes if you exclude the end credits.
2. Girl Meets Bear ; 9 points

Only saw these two but like both of them a good amount. Sekko Boys especially.

My only issue with Thunderbolt Fantasy is that when other sites post our AOTY list to mock us that's going to be example #1

That's not to say it won't rank highly on my list though lol.

Jex

My only issue with Thunderbolt Fantasy is that when other sites post our AOTY list to mock us that's going to be example #1

Being attacked for having great taste isn't something to be concerned about.

Well I saw a bunch of anime sites with thunderbolt fantasy as one of their best anime of the year, so you shouldnt concern yourself with that.

LayLa

1. Rakugo - I'm heavily biased towards shows that feel like they've been written by an adult for adults, and this is one of the best in years. Great characters and a fascinating look into the world of rakugo before and after the war. Only complaint I have is with the major dramatic moment in the penultimate episode, felt poorly conceived/directed.
2. Flying Witch - had a lightness of touch that is rarely seen in anime, a beautifully calm take on magical realism that felt a bit like a more grown up Kiki's Delivery Service.
3. Great Passage - Another show by adults for adults, have heard that the
time skip
bothered some people but I thought it was perfectly judged.
4. Euphonium s2 - Not as good as season 1 due to too much teen melodrama, but still better than 95% of the stuff that the anime sausage factory grinds out.
5. Sangatsu No Lion - Interesting take on depression, I like the way the comedy undercuts the tension. Too much exposition at times drags it down a notch though.
6. Amaama To Inazuma - I don't know why but I really like these "single dad brings up daughter" shows, this one is more on the more unrealistic cute side but still enjoyable. Shark song one of my fav moments this year. Silver Nina next please!
7. 91 Days - Less realistic that I hoped it would be (Fango ffs, apparently no black people in 1920s America) and a bit ugly at points but an OK attempt at a Mafia revenge story.
8. Shirayuki s2 - a super charming fairytale with the princess-to-be getting more agency than usual. One kidnapping too many but that's fairytales for you.
9. Alderamin - Started off poorly but gradually turned into a decent show about two young military geniuses trying to outsmart each other.
10. Grimgar - Another show that started off weak with poorly judged fanservice and musical montages, but turned into something better. Some of the animation in the later episodes was pretty bad though!

Haven't seen enough films to vote, but Kizu 1&2 were even better than I hoped they would be!

Kansoku

I was waiting to see if I could watch some of the movies that I've been wanting to watch but I can't is not available anywhere, so fuck it, here it is.

This year was pretty hard to choose. Choosing the Top 10 wasn't that difficult but the ordering sure was. Every time I was writing something for some I would change the ordering. If I could every one of my top 10 would be at least top 3, but since I can't here it is:

LbH3ROw.png

Top Anime
  1. Mob Psycho 100 ・ モブサイコ100
    I really liked One Punch Man, but everyone always said that Mob was the better ONE project. I can totally see why now. Holy shit this has everything going for it. I absolutely love the art style. They managed to keep ONE's crude style while still making it a little more detailed, making it the best of both worlds. The animation is fluid as hell, there's sakuga everywhere. The soundtrack is pretty good as well. The story is really good, there's a good mix of humor and seriousness and they subvert some shounen tropes in fantastic ways. I really can't find a bad thing to say about this.
  2. 3gatsu no Lion ・ 3月のライオン
    SHAFT, I love you. This is just fantastic, I don't even know how to start. Visually this is stunning, SHAFT is at the top of their game here. The story is pretty interesting as well. I've seen a lot of complaining about the quick shifts in mood, but this doesn't bother me at all. In fact, its part of why I like this so much. It does both parts really well, and the contrast makes them even more stronger. Like they said in episode 12, the happy, funny parts are like a kotatsu, they make you feel warm and everything, but when you get out the cold gets even colder.
  3. Occultic;Nine
    This is my style of anime. I absolutely LOVE stylistic stuff like this. The fast pace didn't bother me a second, didn't really find it hard to follow or anything. I really like the characters and how they all slowly get together towards the same goal. I love how the show were dropping hints for the attentive people like the lack of shadows. I love the soundtrack. I love the weird directing and the weird cameras, even if it's style over substance. I love it all. Except the noses, the noses were weird. And the gigantic boobs, but that goes without saying.
  4. Girlish Number ・ ガーリッシュ ナンバー
    What started as a cynical view on the voice acting industry ended up being a story about personal growth. Chitose stars very unlikable, all full of herself while being a shit actress, but that bites her back end she has to come to terms with reality, and work harder to get her place in the industry. The characters are great, there are a lot of funny moments, reaction faces everywhere, and most importantly, KATTA NA GAHAHA.
  5. WWW. WORKING!!
    The Working! series is great. So the expectations were high, even for a spin-off with different cast. And boy what a surprise. It's really, really funny and the new cast is fantastic, sometimes even better than the original one. It moves at a faster pace so we don't have to wait 3 seasons for some certain stuff to happen.
  6. flying witch ・ ふらいんぐうぃっち
    flying witch has become my favorite Slice of Life anime ever. I did a small writeup on it (check it out here), but the tl;dr is:
    The anime did a fantastic job dealing with the magic aspect, presenting it both as a mundane thing, as a normal part of the world but also having the child-like excitement on discovering it. The characters are fantastic and drove the show. The pacing was great, having a good balance of funny moments, cute moments and chill moments. It was relaxing, and there wasn't a moment where I didn't have a smile on my face. It has various funny moments, but beyond that it's charming and downright happy. I was actually excited to see the new episodes, and I don't remember any SoL doing that to me before. I was truly a fantastic ride.
  7. Shouwa Genroku Rakugou Shinjuu ・ 昭和元禄落語心中
    I had a passing knowledge of Rakugou due to Joshiraku (which is also a fantastic anime), so I wasn't expecting being interested that much on this. What I got with this though, was a fantastic drama, which is as much about the life (and from the looks of season 2, the death) of Rakugou, as about the journey Bon takes into this world. Through great directing and great writing, they manage to get you engaged in the history of these two friends, their Rakugou style as a metaphor of the state of Rakugou in a post WW2 world, and everything in between.
  8. Fune wo Amu ・ 舟を編む
    Who knew a show about making dictionaries could be so good. I had no expectations coming in, so I was delighted to see such a great show. Directing was on point, it really helped us get in Majime's head and see things as he see. I still don't know where I stand on the timeskip, but at least it lead to a conclusion, which was fantastic. After all the years, it was less about dictionaries and more about humans and the bonds they create.
  9. ReLIFE
    Due to it being released all in one go, ReLIFE didn't get much buzz, but it is a great anime. The plot is interesting and they managed to avoid the creepy implications some might have had. We get a pretty funny show, with a fantastic cast. Some of the more serious moments weren't that great, but in the end it was all great. Sadly it ends on an open ending, and it wasn't too far away from the manga, so it will be a long time to get a conclusion.
  10. Kiznaiver ・ キズナイーバー
    Kiznaiver is driven by it's cast, and what a great cast it is. Through the course of the anime the cast grows, both individually, as persons, as well as growing closer together, so I ended up liking almost everyone. Even though it can be somewhat heavy, the anime does sprinkle lighthearted moments here and there, and always at the perfect moments. Some people might say it got worse towards the end, and while I kinda agree, it was still great to the end. Also, Nico best girl.

Honorable Mentions:
  • 91 Days
    91 Days is a great mafia show. There's not much to say, everything is really solid. Would make it to the top 10 if there wasn't so much good stuff.
  • Amaama to Inazuma ・ 甘々と稲妻
    So, so sweet. I thought it could get a little boring with the episodic nature of "something happen > lets eat there > delicious", but they managed to sprinkle some interesting plot lines, side characters and pure "feels" in there to make things more interesting.
  • Boku no Hero Academia ・ 僕のヒーローアカデミア
    I love the manga, so I was pretty excited to see the adaptation. There were some pacing issues, and I got tired of the flashbacks quickly, but otherwise it's a pretty good adaptation. Sadly the cut right before things get really going, so looking forward to season 2.
  • Durarara!!x2 Ketsu ・ デュラララ!!×2 結
    The conclusion to the series is fantastic. Everything I could've hoped for in terms of story. But dear god, the animation is terrible. It's so bad. Which is a shame because the series as a whole is great, but it's really hard to recommend season 2 due to the animation and the pacing issues in the earlier parts (Ten and Shou).
  • Boku dake ga Inai Machi ・ 僕だけがいない街
    This started so good, but ended up pretty flat. IMO when the Hinazuki plot line ended and she moved with a relative (IIRC), things really went south. The mystery aspect of who could have done that became rally bad. If it was already obvious before, they were screaming who it was this time. The other plot points weren't that good, nor did they had the time to develop them. The ending was pretty bad. Which was a shame, because the beginning is fantastic.
  • Hibike! Euphonium 2 ・ 響け!ユーフォニアム2
    I don't really mind all the melodrama to be honest. The show is a beautiful as ever, I love Kumiko and she is still a great character, the music was pretty good as well (though pretty sad they skipped the Nationals performance). Sure the melodrama got a little too much sometimes, sure they dropped Suichi like it was hot, and sure, they didn't focus on what made the show good. But, we got some of the best Kumiko noises this season, which lead to this, so what can I say, totally worth it in the end.

Just_ee9a7b_5983355.gif

The tears are because I couldn't watch Kizu 2 yet.

Top Movies/OVAs:
  1. Kizumonotagri II Nekketsu-hen ・ 傷物語〈Ⅱ熱血篇〉
    I didn't even watch this, but I read the novel so I know what happens here and I know it's in the same style as Kizumonogatari I, so by default it wins movie of the year.
  2. Kizumonogatari I Tekketsu-hen ・ 傷物語〈Ⅰ鉄血篇〉
    Based SHAFT.
  3. Working!!!: Lord of the Takanashi ・ WORKING!!! 第14話「ロード・オブ・ザ・小鳥遊」
    They did it. I'm happy. That's all there's need to be said.

Koe no Katachi and Kimi no Na wa probably would've ended up in here. If I could watch them. But I can't.

Now its time to go OUTSIDE the box and...

Best OP:
  1. Occultic;Nine
  2. Kiznaiver
  3. Shouwa Genroku Rakugou Shinjuu
  4. Mob Psycho 100
  5. 91 Days
  6. WWW.WORKING!!

Best ED:
  1. Occultic;Nine
  2. Durarara!!x2 Ketsu
  3. Shouwa Genroku Rakugou Shinjuu
  4. Fune wo Amu

Top 8 Best Anime I Completed.
  1. Mob Psycho 100 - The antidote to wish fulfillment anime. It even manages to outclass ONE's previous One Punch Man in almost every area.
  2. Osomatsu-san/Mr. Osomatsu - The funniest anime comedy in a long time from the director of Gintama. Helped me appreciate such beloved characters from a 60's anime.
  3. Yuri!! On Ice - This show was born to make history. It made me care for and appreciate ice skating far more than I expected, with lots of love put into each and every skating sequence.
  4. Sound! Euphonium S2 - A perfectly satisfying conclusion to the Kitauji band. It even managed to add an amazing new ship near the very end.
  5. Love Live! Sunshine!! - This is a surprising sequel to a surprising show that somehow shouldn't have worked. And yet like any great sequel, it manages to not only build on its strengths. Characters have more depth, drama has better buildup and flows better, and the CG parts of the dances no longer plummet into the Uncanny Valley.
  6. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Once again, Araki's flagship franchise is gorgeously adapted onto screen, flawlessly capable of making you get emotionally invested in bizarre characters in even more bizarre circumstances.
  7. Space Patrol Luluco - AWAKE! JUSTICE GUN MORPHING! Another unprecedented masterpiece from Studio Trigger, it distills their essence and style into 2-3 minute chunks.
  8. Re: Zero - The concept of Isekai(an ordinary modern person ends up in a medieval/fantasy world) has been around since Mark Twain's A Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, it has become a popular genre for Light Novels and anime adaptations. However, like with many other popular light novels, modern Isekai has been generally looked down by critics due to essentially being fanfic-tier otaku wish fulfillment. Like Konosuba, Re: Zero is a huge backhand in the face for Isekai. Its protagonist, Subaru is a pathetic
  9. Flip Flappers - While it fell into some serious writing pitfalls in its final stretch and was plagued with unfortunate fanservice at points, Flip Flappers remains a truly fun, jaw-droppingly animated romp. It's the closest you're going to get all year to an Ikuhara-directed show with its gorgeous art styles and well-framed shots.
  10. Izetta: The Last Witch - A fun, alternate WWII-based fantasy show. The titular witch's magical badassery makes for great spectacle. Her fantastically realized totally-not-romantic-I-swear relationship with one of the most badass princesses in anime elevates this to a greater level.

Runner-Ups:
[*]Girlish Number
[*]Konosuba!

Top Anime I have yet to fully watch:
  1. Showa Genroku Rakugo
  2. The Great Passage
  3. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
  4. Keijo!!!

Best Not-In-Love-With-Each-Other-I-Swear-They're-Just-Close-Friends Relationships:
  1. Love Live! Sunshine!! - Everyone, particularly Chika x You x Riko & Dia x Kanan x Mari
  2. Izetta: The Last Witch - Izetta x Fine
  3. Yuri!! On Ice - Yuuri x Victor
  4. Sound Euphonium 2 - Kumiko x Reina, AND
    Kumiko x Asuka
  5. Flip Flappers - Cocona x Papika x Yayaka

Fails of the Year:
  1. A1 Still Can't Into Great Anime - Since 2013, I can only count a few A-1-produced anime that were truly great: From the New World, Your Lie in April and Shelter. Nowadays, they're most deservedly labeled as the Michael Bay of Anime, most notable for wish fulfillment trash such as Sword Art Online. This year was no different. GATE S2 and Asterisk War S2 are no-brainers in the low-quality. But then they got their hands on Phoenix Wright, trying to stay so faithful that they manage to make it boring. Erased, which could have been their return to form of shows like From the New World, instead ended up as merely okay. Weakly-directed shots, children who talk older than they are and terribly stupid twists at the end prevented it from getting high on the lists for more discerning anime fans.
  2. Joker Game - This show had so many things going for it at first. Production IG making a historical spy thriller set in WWII, with Japanese spies no less while potentially providing insightful commentary on Imperialist Japan... And from Episode 1 onwards, it spirals into a boring mess that manages to fail at everything: Interesting characters with unique personalities? Nope. Foreshadowing big twists? What's that? Well-animated sequences? HA! Screw that! Moral Ambiguity? I have no idea what that means!
  3. Flip Flappers: Episode 10 & 11 - While Flip Flappers will remain on my top list this year, Episode 10 & 11 almost made me drop it entirely. The first 9 episodes were fun, standalone adventures of Cocona and Papika with a vague overarching plot. Unfortunately, the head writer of the first(and best) half of the show left, starting to demonstrate a slightly gradual drop in writing quality. And then 10 & 11 happened, which felt like the show was thinking: "Oh yeah, aren't we supposed to have a plot or something? Yeah, here's a total exposition dump of everything that totally wasn't ripped out of Evangelion! What? You're not satisfied? Here's a pointless new character called Nyunyu for all you pedos out there! Oh, and no more breathtaking environments from Studio Pablo. Have fun!" Miraculously, Flip Flappers was able to save most of its face in the last 2 episodes despite the damage that was done.
  4. Get Your Pointless Fanservice Outta My Show! - In case you didn't read the above, I was not happy with Flip Flappers' fanservice. I didn't come to this show to see compromising shots of middle schoolers' butts. This was far from the only anime with this problem. Izetta: The Last Witch, suffered even more from this. Its realistic WWII setting clashed horribly with terrible fanservice cliches such as the sexy fantasy outfit, sexy pratfalls, walk-in-on-naked-woman-and-get-shot, and skinship groping by a complete stranger. Even the suprisingly tame Love Live! Sunshine!!, mostly free of fanservice, was still plagued with Mari's random groping, hearkening back to Nozomi from the first show. These just communicate to me that the producers don't have enough confidence in their female leads, so they need to show skin in order to have any sort of appeal.

Best OPs:
  1. Mob Psycho 100 - 99
  2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Great Days
  3. Mr. Osomatsu - Zenryoku Batankyu
  4. Yuri!! On Ice - History Maker
  5. Flip Flappers - Serendipity

Best EDs:
  1. Flip Flappers - Flip Flap
  2. Mob Psycho 100 - Refrain Boy
  3. Space Patrol Luluco - TeddyLoid feat. Bonjour Suzuki - Pipo Password
  4. JoJo's - I Want You
  5. Love Live! Sunshine!! - Yume Kataru yori Yume Utaou

Best Music Video:
  1. Shelter by Porter Robinson, Madeon and A-1
  2. Koi ni Naritai Aquarium by Aqours

Best Abridged Series(new and ongoing):
  1. Sword Art Online Abridged - SWE continues to not only provide an amazing parody of SAO, but manages to improve almost every writing issue. Episodes 10 and 11 are a perfect testament to this, with Asuna's beatdown of Kuradeel and the fantastic characterization of Yui.
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged - It's been 10 years now since LittleKuriboh's work opened the floodgates for Abridged parodies, and it still marches on as fantastic comedy.
  3. Dragonball Z Abridged - "Bulma! Sex makes babies!" The Cell Saga is going strong with TeamFourStar's hilarious takes on the titular villain and Goku's childish intelligence.
  4. #TIBA(Tenkaichi Ironman Budokai Abridged) - Yeah, it's cheating, but the top 20 finalists are some of the most hilarious oneshots. My standouts are Star Wrecked, Mario Condensed Milk Series and How I Caught Your Mother.

Bonus: Best Anime Song Mashup:
  1. Flip Flap Mish Mash by Triple-Q - Flip Flap vs. Everything
  2. Han Solo-ation by SiIvaGunner feat. JonTron - I'm Han Solo vs. Snow Halation
  3. Rubberband-san by Truongasm - Hanamaru Pippi wa Yoiko Dake vs. Rubberban Man

Aki-at

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

The part that everyone raves about and I can see why. We've got a cast of characters who's interactions all work so well together and varied from one and another, we have reoccuring stand users return to help out later on and a hands down great villain too. The first 9 episodes slowly build up to a fantastic 10 or 15 run of episodes, which then I'll admit drops in quality before ramping up at the climax of the series. It's fair to say I was disappointed with the quality of the late 20s episodes but as the earlier episodes and finale hit everything out the park it is only a minor gripe. Great art and framing through out, brilliant music and a fine conclusion, the best JoJo part yet.

2. Mob Psycho 100

There was a lot of prehype for this show and for good reason, a combination of Bones and One's main work was going to be something and it doesn't disappointment. Just like last years One Punch Man, Mob Psycho is a tour de force of amazing animated fights and scenes and it's got the character of the year in the form of Reigan. His
final battle technique was one of my favourite segments in the show.

3. Thunderbolt Fantasy

This was hardly on my radar and then we saw puppets and badass puppets fights and I was sold. It got a very audiable YES from me when the conlusion of the series announced a second season.

4. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

A show that started with a meh episode, largely due to how lethargic the main character Tanaka was. But as the show kept adding more and more characters (Echizen being my favourite) that continued to add a different flavour to the progressing episodes and made it a joy to watch (and even rewatch!) made it go quickly from "Eh not sure if I'll watch more..." to "Saturday is so faaaar away"

5. Girlish Number

There wasn't many shows that really grabbed me last season but wow did this take me by surprise. Perhaps it was due to me not liking New Game too much when it aired that I initially ignored this series. It was around episode 5 showing Chitose's suffering however that I decided to revisit my original assessment and boy am I glad, this one was a great show about a group of people coming to realise the issues with their own personalities and issues with a good conclusion to everyone's story arc.

6. Grimgar

So many shows have done the modern day group gets stuck in a fantasy setting but Grimgar had a neat twist to it, unlike others where the heroes are a group of unbeatable people, here you had a group of people who had even trouble beating goblins. But as you progressed you saw the group grow together and what should have been a generic setting turned into a unique setup, you even felt the goblins they were killing had their own place in the world and not just generic enemy fodder. With this all it made it a memoriable experience and I'd be down for a second series.

7. Kuromukuro

A samurai, aliens, mechas and a class of school friends, this all seemed very focus tested. But Kuromukuro had some neat ideas with a displeased hero reacting to a very different world and a few twists and turns along the way that made this a very enjoyable show. A cool mecha design to reflect it's samurai user was a plus to!

8. Assassination Classroom S2

A bit of a disappointment this one, after the highs of last season I was expecting a bit more. The series felt a bit rushed with many moments cut or condensed (Very disappointed what happend with the Reaper arc) never the less a fine show and then that the conclusion to the main plot... Amazing.

9. Erased

If the quality of this show had stayed the same within the first 4 episodes then this could possibly have been the top show of the year, but unfortunately Erased couldn't keep up with it's opening act and what followed didn't retain the same level of quality. Still an enjoyable show and has some amazing moments still as a bunch of children try to come up with a way to save their friend.

10. Flying Witch

A show that is pretty chill that mixes magic in such a way it feels mundane and totally part of the world. Great for a relaxing watch.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would Thunderbolt Fantasy be a mark of shame when other sites have Re:Zero as their AOTY?

People in glass houses full of Rem figurines shouldn't throw dakis.

pbayne

Forgot to put it on my list but any wrestling fans should maybe check out Tiger Mask W as well. For a Toei show it has a pretty decent baseline level of quality and they crank out a kickass episode every now and then.
Plus its fun to see the goofy ways they include New Japan wrestlers into it. Like Tanhashi becoming a lucahador called Its-the-Ace.

I'm switching my concern for now not seeing Thunderbolt Fantasy in enough lists. If we're going to allow it, everybody should be voting for it.

You fucks.

Why would Thunderbolt Fantasy be a mark of shame when other sites have Re:Zero as their AOTY?

People in glass houses full of Rem figurines shouldn't throw dakis.

If Re:Zero doesn't even show up, I'll giggle.

woodland

1. KonoSuba; Probably the funniest or one of the funniest anime I've seen. Maybe not the best, but I enjoyed it the most - can't fucking wait for S2.
2. Mob Psycho 100; Before KonoSuba this would've topped my list instantly. Best animation all year, cool story, amazing visuals, etc. Also dying for S2 of this - gets edged out because I thought the comedy wasn't that great and I was let down by the last 3rd/2nd half.
3. Re:Zero; Cool concept. Didn't like the main character, could've been better. Oh well, still enjoyed it.
4. Erased; Don't remember much besides liking it, thought the idea was again cool, but I'm not much of one for modern, real life settings.
5. Dragonball Super; Last anime I watched, most generic/boring. That's why it's last!

LaNaranja

I am just going to go ahead and list the only four shows I watched.

TV Series

1. Dragon Ball Super; Best Dragon Ball related anything ever. The humor of Dragon Ball with the action of Z. The pacing has also been pretty close to perfect. In 2016 there was not a single episode that felt like a waste or that dragged.
2. One Piece; The ending is actually in sight which is kind of crazy to think about. This years batch of episodes were a lot of set up but with a large scale story like this that is to be expected. Still enjoyed all my time with it.
3. My Hero Academia; Saw the english dub of it. The first episode or two were terrible but overall the show is pretty fun outside of that perverted short purple kid. This is the shit that makes people thumb their nose at anime. Feels entirely unnecessary.
4. One Punch Man; not sure if this counts, but the english dub was 2016 and that is the one I watched. As good as people said it was.

I don't even see a rule specifying that in the OP, unless I missed it. But in the GOTY thread they allow remasters/rereleases usually. Hell, they're allowing people who imported/played P5 in Japan to vote this year, then the rest of GAF will vote for it for 2017.

Regardless, One Punch Man already won 2015 AOTY imho it should get an honorable mention at the most if ToonamiGAF absolutely wants to vote for it.

I don't even see a rule specifying that in the OP, unless I missed it. But in the GOTY thread they allow remasters/rereleases usually. Hell, they're allowing people who imported/played P5 in Japan to vote this year, then the rest of GAF will vote for it for 2017.

Regardless, One Punch Man already won 2015 AOTY imho it should get an honorable mention at the most if ToonamiGAF absolutely wants to vote for it.

! Important Notice: Eligible for this voting is anything that had even one episode broadcast in Japan during 2016.

OPM final ep aired on the 20th of December 2015 so it isn't Eligible

MrChom

TV Series:
1. Erased
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. KonoSuba
4. Planetarian
5. Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
6. Love Live Sunshine
7. Kinaiver
8. Re:Zero
9. Arslan Senki
10. Food Wars - The Second Plate

Movies:
1. Your Name
2. Gundam The Origin 3

Pellaidh

Neo Member
Series:

1. Mob Psycho 100 ; Mob Psycho could easily make the top of my list just by the virtue of its incredible visuals and animation. The artstyle that perfectly captures the original manga, the sheer amount of visual creativity that incorporates techniques such as oil and glass animation, and of course the absolutely incredible fight scenes all combine to make this the best looking show this year. But it's not just the visuals that make this show so special. The story and characters are also great. Mob's and Ritsu's personal struggles and growth are very well handled, and most characters manage to be incredibly relatable.

2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu ; Rakugo is such a one of a kind show. I greatly enjoyed its focus on the entirety of its characters lives, from childhood to old age. The show also made great use of its setting, highlighting the decline of Rakugo (and theatre in general) as its gradually replaced with more modern forms of entertainment. Of course, the characters themselves were also interesting, and the show moved along at a great pace while still managing to tell their entire life story.

It was also wonderful to both look at and listen to. The visuals and directing were impressive, and the voice work managed to really elevate the rakugo performances, which is important in a show where you can spend tens of minutes just listening to a single character talk.

3. Osomatsu-san ; Gintama might currently be stuck in endless battle shounen serious arc mode, but thankfully Osomatsu-san is here to fill the void Gintama left behind. Quite simply, anyone who enjoyed Gintama should plenty to love here, as Osomatsu is produced by a lot of the same staff and employs similarly outrageous approach to comedy. This is the show that made me laugh the most this year, by far.

What manages to elevate Osomatsu above Gintama, however, are its visuals. The artstyle is vibrant and colourful, and the animation is smooth and exaggerated, greatly contributing to the shows visual comedy. If you liked Gintama, you really should watch this.

4. Concrete Revolutio ; A look at post war Japanese history and pop-culture through the eyes of various superhero characters in a non linear story that also involves time travel isn't the easiest thing in the world to pull off. And while Concrete Revolutio does occasionally stumble, resulting in a show that feels like it could really have used a couple of extra episodes, the end result is still great. The gigantic cast of characters all manage to develop into interesting individuals, and the various themes and ideas that the show juggles with are well presented and interesting. In addition to that, I felt the show made great use of its setting, particularly the focus on various cultural events happening in post war Japan.

Concrete Revolutio is also a very good looking show, with a unique and vibrant colour palette and some spectacular fight scenes, with a particular moment that ranks amongst my best animated scenes I've seen this year.

5. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ; JoJo somehow manages to keep getting better. It's not just the writing, with part 4 delivering some of the best characters and most interesting combat scenarios yet. It's also the fact that David Production, the studio behind the show, somehow keeps improving with every season. This might just be the first season where JoJo actually looks good, and those visuals even further elevate the already great script. I can only hope David Production will keep making these, and that they will keep improving along the way.

6. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless ; The most calming and relaxing show I've seen this year. The characters are likeable and funny, the colour palette, visuals and music are all incredibly pleasing and relaxing, and the show manages to be occasionally quite funny. A perfect example of how to do a "slice of life" comedy show.

7. Haikyuu ; Haikyuu continues to be the best example of a sports shounen out there with relatable characters and outstanding visuals. However, it is starting to feel a bit repetitive at this point, and I felt that season 3 didn't really measure up to well to its predecessors in terms of characters or story.

8. Thunderbolt Fantasy ; A great action series that succeeds at being completely over the top, both in its action scenes and its characters. Thunderbolt Fantasy's band of complete ass-holes is up there with the best action show casts in terms of how entertaining watching their interactions is. And sometimes, some crazy antics are all a show needs.

9. Space Patrol Luluco ; Speaking of over the top, Luluco is definitely the most crazy show I've watched this year. Studio Trigger's unique blend of insanity works well in short doses, and Luluco's couple minutes long episodes ensure it never outstays its welcome. It manages to distil the good parts of other Trigger shows like Kill la Kill into their purest essentials.

10. Kiznaiver; While I have some issues with how Kiznaiver finished, the journey itself was still good enough to earn it a spot on my list, mostly due to the strength of tits presentation, with its lively animation and vibrant character designs. While the overall story is mostly nonsense, Kiznaiver still manages to deliver interesting characters and a decent exploration of friendship and love.

Movies:

1. Kizumonogatari Part I ; Kizumonogatari is very a bold adaptation. Taking a series that is known for its endless monologues and conversations and stripping it of almost all speech is a very interesting move, but it's one that Kizumonogatari absolutely makes work. This is the best king of an adaptation, one that plays to the strengths of its medium and uses the visuals, rather than text, to present the inner struggles of its character. It also simply looked stunning, particularly the sequence where the main character is engulfed in flames. Finally a Monogatari adaptation that can stand up there with the original Bakemonogatari.

2. Kizumonogatari Part II ; Mostly the same as part I, but slightly more dragged out by exposition and conversations. Really though, these two (and the upcoming third) parts are more or less one single movie split in three, so everything said above could also be said for this entry.

3. Garo: Divine Flame ; The original Garo series' story wrapped up conclusively enough to not need a sequel, so I was a little bit worried about this. I didn't need to be. This is essentially just another standalone Garo episode, only set after the end of the original show. It's also essentially an hour worth of incredible fight scenes that rival the climactic and excellently animated sword from the original series. If you've enjoyed the original show, particularly that one fight or the individual horror focused episodes, you'll probably like the movie as well.

4. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt ; This is also more or less just an hour of great looking action scenes, but with mechs instead of swords and monsters. It does suffer a bit from every character being a really horrible person and by hammering down its message of "war is horrible" too excessively, but when it comes to good looking mecha action, Thunderbolt was the best I've seen this year.

zoku88

Oh I forgot about Gundam Thunderbolt. To be fair, I only watched the first episode and it seems as though Gundam.info took it off from streaming...

Nice first person action sequence though.

shira

Tried to watch Mob Psycho 100 about 3x now since it's on a lot of lists. Can't get past 5 minutes.

Does it get better or is this what the show is?

Tried to watch Mob Psycho 100 about 3x now since it's on a lot of lists. Can't get past 5 minutes.

Happened to me too, first episode or two were hard for me to get through. But after the first few it started to click and I couldn't stop watching. I'm in the same position again right now with Rakugo.

LotusHD

Banned

You'll know if you like it or not by the third episode.
Not referencing the 3rd episode rule, it's just that is when the show really hits its stride moving forward.

zulux21

It stays mostly the same yea.

that is pretty much a bold faced lie.

the first few episodes of mob are borderline terrible, they are super boring. they have a couple cool moments but in general are not a good watch. then it finally starts getting things lined up and starts putting on something interesting to watch and becomes a good series.

the first few episodes of mob are borderline terrible, they are super boring. they have a couple cool moments but in general are not a good watch. then it finally starts getting things lined up and starts putting on something interesting to watch and becomes a good series.
I feel the show keeps a similar feel throughout the whole thing. At least for me it felt that way. The jokes and the characters interactions stay mostly the same. Only the actions gets more oumph to it. But that's not bad thing for me since I liked it since the start.

I'm with zulux, don't believe his lies. The first two episodes are almost nothing like the rest of the show. They focus more on random side jobs and exorcisms that were left as side content in the manga apparently plus some small character development. They added these to make the first few episodes more interesting.

The show after those first 2 episodes really hits its stride once it starts doing the arcs and moving the plot along as the manga. I couldn't stand the first 2 or so episodes until the show got less episodic and became arcs. It then becomes pretty amazing.

Just to clarify before people start hunting me, I never said Mob psycho was bad. Just that I thought it was good from the start and that it kept a similar feeling throughout the whole thing.

zulux21

Just to clarify before people start hunting me, I never said Mob psycho was bad. Just that I thought it was good from the start and that it kept a similar feeling throughout the whole thing.

never tried to say you said it was bad, I never sad it was either, I mean I have my AOTY rankings in this thread, it made my top 10 :p

just saying the first few eps left me with very little hope that the series would be any good.

Like a man without the qualifications to actually judge the anime of the year here's a list of the few things I watched in my personal order of enjoyment that will fudge the connoisseur vote with my casual powers.

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable ; After marathoning the first three parts of JoJo last year it had left itself in a pretty strong standing with me as a franchise but it's been DiU that's elevated it to an all time favourite of mine.
JoJo Fridays was a very appreciated recurring segment of most of my 2017, just settle down, watch one of the HYPE AS FUCK openings (Great Days is just the damn best) and prepare for whatever nonsense would be going down in the town of Morioh.

And what wonderful nonsense it was, stands begin to show their true insane ability potential, characters feel more fleshed out than the previous Stardust crew and the slow burn while not jiving with everyone's taste led to one heck of a pay off with Yoshikage Kira and his quiet life being disrupted by those damn kids, I love that man more than I should love a man who's a god damn murderous freak.
Bites Za Dusto is just one of the all time great abilities, it's so situational and convenient yet it works, it just works.

2. Mob Psycho 100 ; The first episode left me wondering if this show would be too one note, like an alternative one punch man with a side character that was going to probably get old pulling his con man bullshit for the series run. Oh I was wrong about you Reigan, that character bucked my expectations and, well he still is a con man but with a heart of gold.
Then there's Mob, our lead who despite great psychic prowess just longs to be plain normal which creates a far more enjoyable to unfold dynamic than I expected. You go Mob, you make that body improvement club count!

3. Orange ; A program both enjoyable and frustrating all in one, like gosh darn it Naho, sometimes you just want to make me yell at the screen with your sheer indecision, especially when you KNOW the negative outcome to things. That said there's a certain level of reality to Naho just not being able to shed her timid nature just like that regardless of what she knows lies in her friend Kakeru's future.
Kakeru, now here's something I didn't expect, an interesting look at depression and the way it subtly cuts you off from others even when you know they want to help, I've been there thus it makes his story quite personal to me and drew me into the drama that much more as a result.
PS: Suwa is such a bro, like almost too bro to be true.

4. Kiznaiver ; I may be on the fringe of anime land but even I can tell Trigger usually equals some variety of crazy or fantastical, yet here lies a show that remains kinda grounded for them at least. It's all about EMOTIONS and David Cage would cream his draws. It's not quite a surefire hit, you've got some tropes that play it too close to the standard (oh boy, a childhood friend crushing on the lead who is emotionless thus oblivious, what novelty!), yet allow the show to progress and some of these characters show greater depth and the way their emotions get linked (painfully) makes for some interesting scenarios.
But lets' face it, that last Kiznaiver who looooves pain is like the one note filler man who's there just because they could have approximately one episodes worth of fun with that idea and nothing more.
Oddly Trigger's other shorter and snappier outing Space Patrol Luluco didn't really grab me.

5. Food Wars The Second Plate ; It's just more food wars, starts off with odd pacing being in the middle of essentially a tournament arc but finds its groove again when the Stagiare stuff brings back some much needed variety to the proceedings. The post taste fantasy segments get even sillier, and that's great.

HM: Ace Attorney ; At last, the obvious AA anime happened which then made me realise "wait? why did I ever need this animated?" because it obviously can't quite cram everything that makes AA work into a tv series. The first opening is trash tier and immediately puts the show on a bad path, it does however find its footing around the Steel Samurai and lends itself to being a decent condensed recap of AA 1 and 2. Nothing to really recommend but props for recreating those crime scenes and other areas so well, oooohhh they put in all the little details and the fanboy in me was much pleased.

Assorted Awards

Anime I meant to watch: My Hero Academia
Secret shame, I love me some shonen battle stuff, I hear good things here as well.
Maybe if Funimation Now can ever get a console app going in Blighty I'll finally follow up on this.

Thank fuck it's finally over....or is it? : Naruto Shippuden
And here is my personal gateway anime, yes where everyone else my age was all like DBZ this and that, well it took the sorta tactical ninja spin to finally have me invest in the medium. To say the anime has been handled poorly would be an understatement, milking as much as possible out of its last arc when we should've been watching the final punch up like two years ago. I can at least say, the final fight delivered on all fronts for me.
Then it turned out it was going to carry on going FULL FUTURE FILLER than just conclude and thus Naruto's exhausted body is strung alone forever more. But it's done for me, cheers for the awesome bits of fighting goodness sprinkled within a vast sea of shoddy animation and filler potholes.

What the fuck is this shit?: All Out
God damn it, how does this go so wrong? when a barely anime watching friend asked me what I knew about the upcoming Rugby anime (he's of course, a Rugby fan) I had to look into this series. He lasted all of about 4 episodes, I somehow slogged my way to 12 thinking "well surely when we actually reach the rugby matches it'll get decent right?"
Well shit we never reach the fireworks factory, instead enjoy an incredibly unlikeable lead with short man syndrome scream how much he loves tackling and that he must be rugby because he gets to tackle people. But he also knows jackshit about Rugby and that's just the worst as even the most basic things have to be explained like Rugby for Dummies (you can't pass forward? oh my!).
I expected mammoth dudes slugging it out with CRUNCHY tackles in the pissing rain, the opening implies as much but in reality you get bugger all.
I may have only watched one season of Haikyu (apparently I should continue going by this thread) and that made Volleyball look like the business, meanwhile All Out takes a smelly dump on Rugby which has so much MANLY potential.

Someone told me to watch it I swear: Keijo
This is an anime about a sport where busty lasses in one piece swimsuits (Fred that's my fetish.gif) use their boobs and bums to sumo each other off gimmicky platforms. It's bloody stupid yet it wears its stupidity on its sleeve to the point it manages to be a better sports anime than the rugby one. I only saw 5 episodes because, well I can only handle so much of this but I was expecting a lot lot worse.

LTTP Movies
When Marnie was There: Botched blu ray release in the UK delayed my watch of this maybe final but I'm not sure Ghibli movie, worth the wait though because I really dug it, I'm always up for more depressed characters clearly.
Wolf Children: Man this one just never drops in price so it took a while for me to invest in, also fun in its own weird way.

Assorted Awards

Anime I meant to watch: My Hero Academia
Secret shame, I love me some shonen battle stuff, I hear good things here as well.
Maybe if Funimation Now can ever get a console app going in Blighty I'll finally follow up on this.

Lucky you! Funimation has both a ps4 and Xbox one console app! Go and watch MHA.

HeavenlyE

1. Haikyuu!!
  2. Konosuba
  3. Re Zero
  4. Mob Psycho 100
  5. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
  6. Boku no Hero Academia
  7. Erased
  8. Thunderbolt Fantasy
  9. Grimgar
  10. ReLife

Status