• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Ban Review/Justice Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So, you make a claim and won't follow up on it. Sounds a lot like "Making the same lazy rhetorical driveby comments as your primary contribution to threads".

I said I reported it to the mods, which is more important than reporting it to you. I explained that I don't want to dig through my entire profile history for 3 hours to find posts. Feel free to disagree with me on anything I'm saying.

And again you choose someone who is NOT LIBERAL. @TaySan has advocated for burning down the houses of people he finds politically objectionable. Is that liberal? That is the thing that leads to him getting shit on here. I personally give him shit for that because I find him to be a repulsive toerag who has a really shitty act but fundamentally wishes he'd be there stamping on the face of humanity forever but in reality would be first against the wall.

I never saw this post, but I saw someone else reference it too. I don't support that either. I can only assume he just said something stupid and apologized after actually thinking about what he said. I'd have to read the post.

Rather than focus on one person though, I was hoping to get a list of what exactly are the policy positions that are off limits? Liberal is a generic term that encompasses everyone on the left for me. There's neoliberals, social democrats, progressives, marxists, anarchists, and most of them don't agree on everything. There's a civil war in the democratic party, and outside the democratic party on the margins. To me, for shorthand reference, they're all "liberal."

Your second point is insanely disingenuous. No, I'm not saying that disagreeing with someone makes them fair game. That is either a deliberately poor misreading of my position or poor comprehension. I have pointed out that the far right get banned, and the far left get banned. We disagree on what is far left, and that makes it impossible for us to come to agreement.

I don't think the far right get banned all that often. I don't even think open racists get banned. I think you'll get banned for posting the N-word. But you can go in detail about how much you think the races are fundamentally different, and focus almost exclusively on race-bait content all day every day and it's not an issue on here. I'm struggling to think of any far right policies or ideas that are actually off limits on this site. I think the N-word might literally be it, or being anti-semitic. Both those should be actionable offenses of course, but I think far right encompasses a whole lot more than that.

I will even throw out the olive branch to the far right on this one. The accusations of racism have been so misused, and exaggerated by the left that it's almost made the whole accusation powerless. So it doesn't really keep me up at night when I see that kind of content on here, and I think it's mostly gained a foothold because the language has been so misused. But yeah, I think the end result is the the far right is not banned very often.

Finally a passive-aggressive "but if you don't want to talk about it" after painting my views as making people wear the scarlet letter. Nope, at this point it's quite clear that you are not here for honest debate, and that's a shame because up til this point I've had no big issues with you, you seem decent enough, but honestly in this thread you are simply embarrassing yourself. I suggest rethinking your rhetorical techniques if you wish to engage further in this discussion.

It's hard to read tone, body language and intent online. I didn't say anything passive aggressive. You said in the previous post that the conversation was at an end. I was literally just saying that if you don't want to reply further, it is FINE. That's literally all I meant.

And yeah, I am debating honestly. But like I said earlier, rule 2 is how most liberals get banned on here.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* I did my best. I'll leave this for now as I've got work to do and your dishonesty (you list Marxist to be an ok mainstream position rather than the extremism it is and deny that people get banned for racist stuff - honestly I just can't argue with someone who says black is white) makes this a waste of my time. Good luck, I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for here but let me know if you find another site that welcomes class-based left such as myself along with conservatives as I'd be delighted to add it to my bookmarks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
*sigh* I did my best. I'll leave this for now as I've got work to do and your dishonesty (you list Marxist to be an ok mainstream position rather than the extremism it is and deny that people get banned for racist stuff - honestly I just can't argue with someone who says black is white) makes this a waste of my time. Good luck, I'm not sure you'll find what you're looking for here but let me know if you find another site that welcomes class-based left such as myself along with conservatives as I'd be delighted to add it to my bookmarks.

I never commented on Marxists at all. I literally just said they exist. I'm asking you what you considered off limits politically and never got an answer.

Again, I'm not being dishonest. Not sure what it takes to get that across.

nush

Taysan?

rj4F38e.jpg

Good example you picked there.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Taysan?

rj4F38e.jpg

Good example you picked there.

This really is not relevant to what I'm even talking about. Literally sounds like he doesn't even know who the guy is.

Is your point that if someone is a hypocrite then it's fair game to ignore the rules listed? Do you have a point on anything I'm talking about, in regards to the updating and/or clarification of the rules because I'll hear it if you want to actually say it.

I see lots of people act hypocritical all the time. I see lots of people post things I find completely morally detestable. It's fine to point that out and say it's hypocritical, or that someone's argument is bad. Doesn't mean it's fine to completely ignore the rules of the site and start harassing people. It's honestly ironic that you're using a post about Etika hypocrisy to push the narrative that people deserve to be continually harassed online. Shows how much you really care about that issue.

Last edited:

nush

This really is not relevant to what I'm even talking about. Literally sounds like he doesn't even know who the guy is.

Is your point that if someone is a hypocrite then it's fair game to ignore the rules listed? Do you have a point on anything I'm talking about, because I'll hear it if you want to actually say it.

I see lots of people act hypocritical all the time. I see lots of people post things I find completely morally detestable. It's fine to point that out and say it's hypocritical, or that someone's argument is bad. Doesn't mean it's fine to completely ignore the rules of the site and start harassing people. It's honestly ironic that you're using a post about Etika hypocrisy to push the narrative that people deserve to be continually harassed online. Shows how much you really care about that issue.

like @hariseldon I'm done discussing this with you as well.

Ornlu

Banned
I have now. I don’t watch sports except for Boxing and UFC highlights on YouTube lol.

Did we just become best friends? - Best Friends - quickmeme

EviLore EviLore how do we get someone demodded?

watch gifs Page 7 | WiffleGif

So, is this the admission that you just want political uniformity on this site then? Because you're not making any kind of appeal to the rules here, but basically trying to just bully people off the forum explicitly on political grounds. Referencing the "entire internet" doesn't even mean anything. Everyone has the entire internet. Are you implying that people with certain political views should have less of a say on here because they have "the entire internet"? Because that's what it seems like. That's exactly why I wanted the rules to be updated to reflect that so it's actually transparent.

Is this a new rule, that you get off the site if you call someone a pedophile, racist or incel? Because I can sure point to a ton of people who do at least some of that.

And you claiming to speak for the entire forum is ridiculous. I guess those political compass tests don't mean much. You're the representative of everyone. That's fairly presumptuous. I can't believe anyone endorsed this post. I lose my temper sometimes, but damn, you do too. So much for sanity and discussion. At least you were transparent about your intentions, since everyone else masks it or lies to themselves about it.

And what change is anyone demanding? All I've personally asked for is for clarification on the rules. I don't really see anyone demanding the site to change, so not sure what that part of the rant is about.

And you guys wonder why some people don't refer to themselves as "part of GAF." You laid it out in crystal clear detail. Lots of people aren't welcomed as equal members here depending on where they land politically. It's definitely not because they call people pedophiles, because tons of people do that and never once get singled out for it like here.

I don't see how you spun "You just want political uniformity! Aha!" out of the post you quoted.

If we have no rules at all, then they should just delete the post. I'm just asking for clarification. I thought the entire point of this thread was transparency and clarification.

But I keep getting accused of "lawyering." I'm not doing that. The mod said yesterday my record is totally clear. I always try to honestly debate people and don't insult others. I don't break any of these rules.

I can agree that there should be an enforceable framework, with the last rule being "Post at your own peril. Be a little shit for a long enough time and you will find a ban."

That being said, no set of rules is ever going to be perfect, and the mods have commented directly to you already saying that they are working on it.

Exactly. Can you think of a single time it's ever actually been enforced?

Yes. I've seen threads locked for dogpiling.

Some dogpile is going to be inherently unavoidable, as a user posting something blatantly idiotic or incendiary is going to get some kind of reply or reaction from a % of the people who view the post.

Also, I disagree with you that there isn't any "leftist dogpiling" to be seen on the site. Just look at any thread that has negative news about Trump, Republicans, or anyone who could vaguely be considered Conservative/Right. Chances are you'll find a bunch of people high-fiving and congratulating, just like you would find in a thread about Biden/Democrats/Liberal/Left. There are posters whose entire post history consist of such threads.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you want to call people pedophiles, incels, racists, etc., instead of ever actually discussing, if you don't want to be exposed to anything that you don't like, there's a phenomenal website called Resetera.
So, is this the admission that you just want political uniformity on this site then? Because you're not making any kind of appeal to the rules here, but basically trying to just bully people off the forum explicitly on political grounds.

Goddamn, how dishonest can you be? My quoted post is literally right there in your post.

Absolute garbage-tier posting, and you think you have a place at this table, discussing what's best for Gaf?

-Arcadia-

Banned
If you want to call people pedophiles, incels, racists, etc., instead of ever actually discussing, if you don't want to be exposed to anything that you don't like, there's a phenomenal website called Resetera.

At best, the fact that you automatically equate these argumentative methods with the left, and qualify them with protected political speech status, says more about you than I ever could, Miku.

And I didn't even touch the rest of the post, which is shot through with dishonesty.

Before you criticize others, you should take a breather and reassess your own behavior and stances.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

Unfortunatelly this is the hot trend here, including the new one - calling people homphobes. People has being spamming this for a quite time now.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Let's welcome back D daycru , permed seemingly for criticizing Queen Hillary in 2015.

There is nothing to Hilary Clinton, so you need to play dress up with her. The Clinton name is the tail, but you still need the donkey.

A8sEQA2.png

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yes, it's very clear she is singling out one side politically and telling them to fall in line or get the fuck off the forum. There's not really any other way to interpret it.

Right. The mod I got a response from calmly explained his current thinking on it. He didn't say "how dare you demand GAF change when you have the entire internet." Seemed like they were kind of 50/50 on updating it already, meaning it clearly wasn't some ridiculous request since they already considered it themselves. I think the only other thing people have asked for is just fair enforcement of existing rules the mods made themselves.

I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that these current rules are enforced in the Politics forum. So if there's a new set of rules, I'd just like to know what they are someday, because it's not these.

What will get your post attention by the moderation team is when you are doing one of the following:
  • Making blatant and direct attacks against other users or people (racism, sexist, xenophobia, user insults, etc)
  • Intentionally trolling people by either not engaging honestly or making antagonistic claims without any intention to defend them
  • Making duplicate threads that already have an active discussion going for the same subject
  • Making the same lazy rhetorical driveby comments as your primary contribution to threads
  • Dogpiling. This is not a word of 'sanctuary' you can claim when you come in and make a highly contentious point that lacks substance. If you say something stupid and you get called out by multiple posters, this is your own fault. However, moderator's may intervene where a user with an alternate, credible standpoint is being drowned out or suffocated by a number of posts that repeat the same throwaway comment/empty rhetoric.
I think in the context of console waring a general moderation rule was described by a moderator which could give an explanation for this: Disturbing the flow of discussion with views that will turn the thread about you. If you have a thread (or in case of politics here, basically a forum), where almost everyone posting is right wing, then a left wing position, if not worded in a very careful way, will quickly rile up people who will then dogpile the left wing poster. This can be seen as a disturbance of the thread, because the thread is quickly turning into a discussion about the poster in question. I of course do not know for a fact that this rule is the basis for the moderation pattern you have observed, but it would be consistent with moderation policies.

I think it is very unfortunate, because we have lost a few posters who did make interesting contributions (thinking e.g. of crowbrow) and made the Politics subforum more of a place for discussion than a circlejerk for right wing newsoutlets, Youtube commenters and antagonising the whole left spectrum over some very special individuals.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's actually amazing seeing any and every excuse deployed, rather than accepting that one is responsible for their own behavior.

If the last two days were supposed to convince me that Gaf has a political agenda, or the moderation is seriously broken, rather than the problem lying with the posters themselves, consider me unimpressed.

It's been round after round of sour grapes, excuses, and arguments so disingenuous, it's genuinely jaw-dropping to realize a human wrote them, and expected others to take them seriously.

When pressed on your narrative of bias, and the best you can come up with is the above, as well as accusing people of 'hating blacks and gays', it's no wonder that you guys are having the experience that you're having.

Grow up.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Welcome back D daycru and best of luck in 2020!
Someone is still likely reminding Bishop over on REEEE (or wherever he is) that Hillary...lost and felt the Bern.

LbBLj6m.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Remove the report facility or make it transparent. No more hiding behind the mods.

Be an adult, stand by your arguments, views and opinions or wind your necks in and stop flapping your gums.

Beware the cult of personality that is currently forming/formed. We saw what happened last time...
I believe the last of the cult leaders left the room 2 or 3-years ago. The site's been improving ever since. And I can't flap my gums with a keyboard ;)

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
No, I meant EviLore welcoming back an old member in this thread who was banned by bishopt.

Sometimes it happens when this thread starts to read more like Meta GAF.

Maybe it was the position on screen at the time, and the angle I was seeing it, but I initially read that as dipshit.

Just sayin.

Tesseract

Banned
There is a cult of personality, chaired this time by a female, a sign of the times i suppose.

Not having a go, because i'm not arsed either way but you can see it forming and their views/opinions are worth more than others.
the best ideas should rise to the top, def don't want sycophants or house banners anywhere

seems like a fairly individualist forum, lots of disparate but connected voices

the best ideas should rise to the top, def don't want sycophants or house banners anywhere

seems like a fairly individualist forum, lots of disparate but connected voices
Agreed.

There are lots of characters and opinions on here, which is a bonus, but there is creep happening. Bad creep. But to whisper about that conspiracy would open a can of worms that is best left closed for now.

You're right, we should probably perm her before it's too late.
🤷‍♂️ I'm against the death penalty, so a perm is off the cards.

There's nowt wrong with having a group of popular posters, it's more of the sycophants that will try and worm their way in to popularity by way of sacrificing dissenting voices in order to please those that they admire. A female being popular just catalyses this process.

What are the membership requirements and hazing rituals for entry into the cult of -Arcadia- ??? (I still don't know how to officially mention posters... is that part of the requirements?)

-Arcadia-

Banned
I guess that's supposed to be me?

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I've worked hard from my very first day here, to always be someone I'm proud of, to always speak from the heart, no matter the cost. I try to never publish a post that I wouldn't enjoy as a reader.

I put a lot of pride into what I do, so to hear that people really like me, and my posts, despire that brutal honesty heading their way sometimes, despite not playing to the community, is... something I'm glad to hear?

I don't think it extends to the ways you think it does, though.

I got at this earlier, but the sheer number of fights I've had here, is beyond all belief. It comes with that territory of speaking from your heart. Many of the same people who are now liking and agreeing with me, have been in vicious, knock-down, drag-out fights with me, but we came to respect each other nonetheless.

Do I feel like those people are 'simping for me'? I really don't. I think they're individuals that see things they agree with, and make that choice for themselves. That the lessons of Old Gaf are well learned.

I feel like, at any moment, someone could tell me to fuck off. And that feels like a place I want to be.

I'm not sure how to feel about that. I've worked hard from my very first day here, to always be someone I'm proud of, to always speak from the heart, no matter the cost. I try to never publish a post that I wouldn't enjoy as a reader.

I put a lot of pride into what I do, so to hear that people really like me, and my posts, despire that brutal honesty heading their way sometimes, despite not playing to the community, is... something I'm glad to hear?

I got at this earlier, but the sheer number of fights I've had here, is beyond all belief. It comes with that territory of speaking from your heart. Many of the same people who are now liking and agreeing with me, have been in vicious, knock-down, drag-out fights with me, but we came to respect each other nonetheless.

Do I feel like those people are 'simping for me'? I really don't. I think they're individuals that see things they agree with, and make that choice for themselves. That the lessons of Old Gaf are well learned.

I feel like, at any moment, someone could tell me to fuck off. And that feels like a place I want to be.

If this is replying to me can you reply or @ me? Not trying to be an uppity dick, i just get lost in the conversations sometimes. It's not always easy to follow.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Don't think we're ever fought, though. I follow anyone who shares similar gaming or media interests and can express them intelligently. Can't really say I dislike anyone on GAF. There were two I was pissed with but they not surprisingly were banned for trolling threads over a month ago.

I'm still not seeing any cult following on NeoGAF. If I did, I would be backing off.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
People are "simping," for you just as much as they "simp," for me

Which is absolute fucking 0

The only people who probably realize you're a hoo-man female is the in crowd
And even if then, unless you're putting your keyboard or a shoe on your head, I'd say some of them are skeptical of your gender
Can you @ me the next time you decide to accuse me of running a conspiracy to take over Neogaf?
Take over GAF?
Nawh
Run around with a bunch of goons with Power Ranger avatars?
Yeah

People need to pick their conspiracies based on facts, not conjecture

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
People are "simping," for you just as much as they "simp," for me

Which is absolute fucking 0

The only people who probably realize you're a hoo-man female is the in crowd
And even if then, unless you're putting your keyboard or a shoe on your head, I'd say some of them are skeptical of your gender

Take over GAF?
Nawh
Run around with a bunch of goons with Power Ranger avatars?
Yeah

People need to pick their conspiracies based on facts, not conjecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom