• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #110 - "Hurdle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
My votes:

1st - Copernicus "Ten Year Dash" (Poignant. A hurdle to be faced head on, not run around and ignored.)
2nd - Ashes1396 - "Ruin" (Evoked a great feeling.)
3rd - Cyan "Worries Over "Fiscal Hurdle"..." (Basically what politics is!)

Honourable Mentions: Nezumi - "Long Way Home" (really enjoyed it), Iceman "Failsafe Company (it's only half the story, argh!).

Nezumi

OK, here are my votes:

1. Too Genius for mundane Trivialities - Tangent : I loved Abraham-Oswald. He is a total ass, but still I thought there was a small part in him that I could relate to. I read the ending as if he is going to get the envelopes because he actually wants to see the girl. Don't know if it was meant that way or not though :)

2. Ruin - Ashes 1396: Well writtten and I enjoyed the optimism. Exactly the right story for the beginning of a new year.

3. This was it - Warrior at Heart : The end really surprised me and made me laugh.

HM: Alimar - Bootaaay: Loved the writing. The descriptions are beautiful. Had it been an intro chapter to a book I would be totally hooked. As a stand-alone story I was missing, well a little bit more story, I guess.

Failsafe Company - Fun and fast read, but no ending. Boo ;)

Sorry these are (mostly) just votes; read most of these stories while traveling.

1) Nezumi - "The long way Home" -- liked the dialogue and idea behind it; Portrayal of Poseidon was my favorite part

2) Cyan - "Worries Over "Fiscal Hurdle" Freak Out Washington" -- liked the quotes from various politicians and the format idea

3) Ashes - "Ruin" -- Really liked the dialogue and the differing in attitudes of the two characters

Grakl

1. Tangent - "Too Genius for Mundane Trivialities"
2. Cyan - "Worries Over "Fiscal Hurdle" Freak Out Washington"
3. John Dunbar - "Licentious"

HM: Nezumi

Cyan

Banned
Votes:
1. Nezumi - "The long way Home"
2. Tangent - "Too Genius for Mundane Trivialities"
3. Ashes - "Ruin"
HM: Bootaaay

Iceman, I liked yours, but it's incomplete!

Edit: Hey, Dunbar copied me! Um, retroactively.

Iceman

HMs. John Dunbar - "Licentious"; Irish - "NO!" & AnkitT - "This is not a story"

Irish's No is a great little piece. The only problem is that its too short. Not enough meat on the bone. Its like a taste of something that leaves you wondering if there's more courses to come. It seems to end at the revelation, a revelation that seemed to be potentially life changing. And I think change is an essential part of any story.

I thought AnkitT's was a really challenging piece. Connected with me. I simply tend to favor the more linear narratives though (as that is what I'm trying to craft myself), so please don't take the ranking as a critique of the writing itself. The ideas were delivered clearly - the paragraph where the time traveling main character in chapter 3 describes his thoughts and reactions to himself (the baby) is really well done - friggen sick, but well written. It's just the format choice that made it slightly less appealing than the following stories.

3. Nezumi - "The long way Home"

Maybe too similar to my style to win me over, although your sense of humor shines through - as opposed to my pieces which tend to struggle with their comedy. I like the levity and the adherence to the mythology. I wish you had put more effort into the descriptions of Poseidon and Odysseus - I imagined fairly average men (my bias, as I think of Poseidon and Odysseus as extraordinary characters, even in the most mundane of interpretations). But the dialogue choices for each of your characters was good. Really fun piece.

2. Tangent - "Too Genius for Mundane Trivialities"

I liked that the ending could be interpreted either as hopeful (that he would break from his self obsession and attempt to reach out to the like minded girl) or bleak (that he would stay in his neverending cycle of non-achievement). The character was just too unlikeable for my taste. Even with an optimistic reading, I still wouldn't wish that guy on anyone. Still, very clear (except for the deliberate ambiguity of the end); a brisk read that, regrettably, put me right into your character's world and mind.

1. Bootaaay - "Alimar"

I thought the story (Alimar) begged for something more like redemption but it went a whole different direction. Even so I still appreciated the world and the ambience you created and especially the language of the prose.

Cyan

Banned
The Results:
1st Place (tie): Nezumi - "The long way Home"
1st Place (tie): Ashes1396 - "Ruin"
3rd Place: Cyan - "Worries Over "Fiscal Hurdle" Freak Out Washington"

Vote Count:
Tangent - 16 (3) [DQed: talked to Tangent this morning--traveling, hasn't had a chance to read, and wouldn't be able to make a new thread anyway.]
Nezumi - 10 (3)
Ashes - 10 (1)
Cyan - 7
Warrior at Heart - 4 (1)
John Dunbar - 4
Bootaaay - 3 (1)
Copernicus - 3 (1)
Irish - 2
AnkitT - 1

Nezumi wins the tiebreaker. Congrats! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the thread. :)

Nezumi

Wow! Thanks everybody and damn you Tangent for getting disqualified, now I have to come up with something for the next thread ;)

So, since I'm still some posts away from becoming a full member I'll post the information for the next one here. Cyan promised he'll turn it into a thread.

Iceman

good (wtg nezumi btw), gives me a chance to finish up my (ahem) short story. I think it'll end up sitting at about 5000 words.

edit: eff. I was hoping you'd take your time guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom