• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #113 - "Proceed with Caution"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangent

Aaron – Mountain Rally: Such a creative idea. I think it’d be cool to have a series with these characters. There were parts that were a little hard to follow but I’m not sure what would have helped to make them smoother. I liked the ending, and I liked how interspersed descriptions of the characters in the middle of the story quite seamlessly.

Mike M – Only 2000 Words to Live: Loved the use of “where the blue blazes” and “what the Sam hill.” This was so well done. The action was so well described and the ending was awesome. It’d be fun to read more, like the rustiness of the Prof and Jackson – after the kid has lunch – and how they get back into their storyline.

Ashes1396 – How Author Met Poeta: At first, I wasn’t drawn in immediately, but it got better as I read on, and the characters seemed to take form a little more. I’ve noticed a trend with you about avoiding quotations, and it worked very well in this story.  It hit the nail on the head this time. I really liked the characters’ interactions.

Toddhunter – You’ve Got the Touch: Haha this was a fun read. I have to admit that in the first paragraph, it took me a minute to realize I read “unicorn” instead of “Unicron.” My one request was some more discussion about the new rock band! I liked how you described their jobs.

John Dunbar – May Contain Lies: Great opening line. I really liked the voice in this and believe it or not, I can actually relate.

Gattsu25 – Inconsequential: I really liked the dialog, and all the characters. It was cool how the characters became real very quickly even if they had short lives in your story; well done with that. The ending really surprised me and it felt like it ended early or something. I wanted to know what was in the bag. And I wanted to know if anything was wrong with his bag when he went to the bathroom and came back to it. And, I wanted to know the character’s reaction to actually sitting down in the plane and putting on his seatbelt before he fell asleep. But I only say all this because you developed the character well and it left me wanting to know more. Great work.

Elfforkusu – Across the Universe: Really good description of existential questions. There were points where I stopped to reread or slow down to soak it all in.

Copernicus – Passion: I liked the second and third parts but I didn’t understand quite how the 1st part about playing “hard to get” connected to the rest of the story. It was a fun read though and the ending was well done.

ZeroRay – Volcano Jones: This was a fun story to read since at first I thought it’d have to do with some sort of one-on-one fight and then there was that surprise ending.

Tirminyl – The Old Man: Ha! Fun read, I think 2 young guys spreading the Word is a great foundation for this prompt. I wish I had a better understanding of what the Old Man was. It’d be great if his response to the 2 evangelicals was more clearly defined. I enjoyed this story and it was really creative.

Cyan – The Journey: Wow I did not know this side of you Cyan ol’ Cyan! I’m with Mike M though; I no nothing about poetry or how to crit it – it’s hard enough for me to learn how to crit stories! However, I do think that poetry, and that extra mindful use of words, has gotta be important for general writing, so bravo. Hmm, I’m not sure what to say other than I really liked it! I also really liked the use of clauses, and the repetitive lines of take care and then finally have care. If anything, maybe it’d be cool if there were more emotion towards the stranger, like anticipation, etc. On the other hand, I liked how the emotion didn’t need to be described, because the journey itself was full of varying emotion.

Nezumi – Balancing Act: Very beautifully written. Also, I liked the name Balduin. I very much enjoyed ever part of this story and slowed down in some sections to savor the style. At the end, I wondered if Balduin would be tricked. Even though that didn’t happen, I still felt like the ending was somewhat flat or less momentous than for what I hoped. But alls I gotta say is I wish I had a pet tarantula right about now.

Jack Remington – Colony: Good descriptions and captivating story. But one thing that struck me: why was the mother so timid and paralyzed by fear in contrast by the father who seemed almost overly narrowly driven in comparison – without any emotion? I wondered if there was past baggage with the dead sister. I wanted to know more about the cannisters and Uncle Joe. I liked the MC but wished I knew more about the MC’s age or her relationship to her mom & dad. This was awesome stuff – you could very easily turn this into a longer novel.

ReiGun – Our Hero: Great job creating a fun MC that seemed to be unfolding a mystery. Also, I really like how well you described the flashback. The dialog was great too, but there were parts in the middle that seemed a little less fluid than the rest of the story.

Bootaaay – Storm Clouds Rising: Beautiful use of language. It’s amazing how this storm had such an impact. One thing I wasn’t sure about is if the storm was in his head, or if there was a give-and-take with what was happening in reality and how much he was influencing reality with his own perception.

Votes:
1. Mike M
2. Nezumi
3. Cyan
HM: Elfforkusu, JD, Bootaaay, Jack Remington...ok ok I'll stop.

This made my day. Loved it.

Thanks for the feedback and crits. Helpful. I wanted to try something different (for myself) and I didn't know about some of the other mentioned characters or stories that are quite similar. Haha.

Cyan

Banned
Gattsu25 - "Inconsequential" - Nice slice of life sort of thing, going into detail on one thing and giving us a few looks at it. The disadvantage of this approach is that there's not a lot of forward motion to the story because the character is reactive rather than active. I'd be interested to see him trying a few things instead of just being carried onward.

Elfforkusu - "Across the Universe" - A nifty mix of philosophy and scifi heist (sort of) action. I really like that choice, it works nicely. I had some trouble figuring out just what was going on--what the robot voice is, how it knows the guy is there, why it stops working. To some degree you can leave that sort of thing up to the reader's imagination, but hints would be nice (actually, glancing back again, I see that you did show us why it stopped working, or at least the action that led to that).

Tangent - "Interview with My Brother" - Dude! This is surprisingly dark for you, but I really liked it. You could've definitely gone cute with this story, but I think you made the right choice keeping it grounded and thinking about the actual consequences of various things that happen in the game. I kind of wonder if taking out the names and just implying which game you were talking about would be more effective... but maybe not, since then you'd lose some of the lovely details. I dunno, just a thought.

Copernicus - "Proceed with Caution - Passion" - Ha! An unusual choice of subject. And ending. It took me a little while to cop to what was going on, as the beginning kind of primed me to think this was an online dating thing. Er, a one-on-one online dating thing, I mean.

ZeroRay - "Volcano Jones" - Line em up and knock em down. I like the setup here, making us think it's post-apocalyptic and then hitting us with the truth in the closer. Could've been a little more in-depth, had a little more substance to it. (yeah, I know you ran out of time ;) )

Cyan

Banned
tirminyl - "The Old Man" - Get off my lawn! I love the sense of mystery here, of a larger world somewhat beyond our understanding. I think the proselytizers were a little thin, at least the talkative one. A little too single-focused. Would've been interested to see him have more of a reaction to whatever was going on, rather than just keep preachin' the Word.

Nezumi - "Balancing Act" - Wait a minute, did you and Tangent swap stories? This totally feels like a Tangent story. I think the beginning was my favorite bit, with the other spider and nearly getting caugh and all. I liked how it ended up, but I think it could've done with a bit more explanation of what the deal was with the spider that he helped. It seems like the idea is that they might have complementary skills, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what's going on and if so, what the skills are.

Jack Remington - "Colony" - Wow, great work! There's a lot I like about this one. The beginning launches right in and introduces everything we need to know quickly, the tension ramps up from low to high throughout, and you scare and worry us without ever showing us anything beyond a mere hint of what we're being scared of. I think that the POV choice is a good one, as it allows a certain unreliability into the story due to the young girl's naivete. I might actually make further use of that, and pull back a bit on the obviousness of what the mother is after.

ReiGun - "Our Hero." - Has the feel of the classic Lensman tales. Chiseled jaws and all. I might've cut back a bit on the exposition, especially at the start. It causes the takeoff to stall a bit.

Bootaaay - "Storm Clouds Rising" - Your usual poetic self, B. Great prose. I have to say that the opener felt like a fantasy tale--I was fooled by the initial mentions of harbingers and Oracles. So later, when there was a phone, it was a big disconnect. That could be avoided by establishing the modern setting much earlier on. Also, argh, no paragraph breaks hurts my head. I'm guessing it's a stylistic choice, but ow.

Votes:
1. Jack Remington - "Colony"
2. Ashes1396 - "how author met poeta"
3. Tangent - "Interview with My Brother"

1. Mike M
2. Cyan
3. Jack Remington

HM; Ashes, Tangent, Nezumi

I'll try and edit in some commentary when I'm less sleepy x_x

Cyan said:
I have to say that the opener felt like a fantasy tale--I was fooled by the initial mentions of harbingers and Oracles. So later, when there was a phone, it was a big disconnect. That could be avoided by establishing the modern setting much earlier on. Also, argh, no paragraph breaks hurts my head. I'm guessing it's a stylistic choice, but ow

Haha, yeah, I probably should've hit return once or twice, but that was just the way I wrote it, so I left it that way - and it actually started out as a fantasy story about a boy sent from his village on a right of passage ritual, only to be toyed with by a pair of quarrelsome gods, but I didn't have time to finish it, unfortunately.

Nezumi

Nezumi - "Balancing Act" - Wait a minute, did you and Tangent swap stories? This totally feels like a Tangent story. I think the beginning was my favorite bit, with the other spider and nearly getting caugh and all. I liked how it ended up, but I think it could've done with a bit more explanation of what the deal was with the spider that he helped. It seems like the idea is that they might have complementary skills, but I'm not entirely sure if that's what's going on and if so, what the skills are.

I totally had to rush through the ending because I was running out of words and time. I had a much longer scene planned where the two talk about how hard their lives had been and start to bond. As it was I only hinted at what is going on.
Basically the other spider is blind, which is why her web is so crooked and weird looking and there are so much food cocoons left, because she has trouble finding them afterwards. So basically Balduin would become her eyes while on the other hand getting a web to use and not having to steal anymore.

Nezumi

Ok. I hope there is no unwritten rule that the results have to be posted by Cyan, but I think that it is save to say that voting is over :)

The Results:
1st Place:Mike M - Only 2000 Words to Live
2nd Place:Jack Remington - Colony
3rd Place: Nezumi - Balancing Act

Vote Count:
Mike M - 28 (9)
Jack Remington - 15 (2)
Nezumi - 12 (1)
Cyan - 8 (1)
Tangent - 5
Ashes1396 - 5
John Dunbar - 2
tirminyl - 2
Aaron - 1

Congratulation Mike M! A clear and well deserved victory. No off you go and put up the next thread :)

kehs

Banned
Seems I missed the voting deadline...I always mix up the dates. =/

Thanks for the feedback though, I was going for a "blink of an eye", just brief flashes of the moments, style thing. Like when you look back at something where things went wrong, certain things quickly come to mind. Guess it needed a bit more detail. The hard to get thing was an error on my part, I forgot to edit it out, I was gonna go in a different direction.

Cyan

Banned
Guess who's on the road? :|

Sorry I failed in reading all the stories...

Aww, I wanted to see what you thought of the poem. Maybe should've held off for the poetry challenge, but I really felt like writing one.

Ok. I hope there is no unwritten rule that the results have to be posted by Cyan, but I think that it is save to say that voting is over :)

Oh way to go, dude. Space-time continuum totally busted.

And what if your count was off by a few points? It might've changed the results!

lols

Congrats, Mike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom