• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #155 - "Choices"

Status
Not open for further replies.

exfixate

Ashes “500” – That's one hell of a body count. I'll echo the others' statements that the killer's presence could have been hinted at throughout, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I was surprised that the killer returned to the scene of 3 murders and a maiming quickly enough to retrieve the equipment and the woman, especially if he (she? fuck the statistics!) was at a distance that required a sniper rifle.

karenq0506 "I Am What I Am" - Very neat story, and damned if the perspective wasn't unconventional. I like the idea of the planet literally tearing itself apart to rid itself of humanity.

Tangent “Sustained Silent Reading” – Sadly cute. Or just cute. I can't decide which, but you nailed the feeling.

Zweizer “Amateur” – I gotta say, I was not expecting the cockroach. I said "What the fuck" out-loud at work. My boss looked at me. Thanks Zweizer!

FlowersisBritish “Moral Support” – Took me a moment to realize what was going on, but only because I wasn't expecting it. Poor Chance seems like he's going to have a rough way to go. I liked this story very much. If only these guns could talk... *kisses biceps*. Oh wait, that was an Old Spice commercial.

Croll “Straight and Narrow” – I imagine Brian was as confused as I was at the end. George came back hard on the poor dude.

Mike M. “Nothing Personal” – For reference, I never read the related stories. This was the longest story this week, but I think I read it the faster than others. You had a good rhythm going on here. This is kind of hard for me to communicate, but Brutus thought too much like a human being for my liking. But this was very enjoyable to read. You should spin this to George Romero as a Monkey Shines sequel.

Exfixate “Legion” – Needless to say, the second draft wouldn't look much like the first. Yeesh. One of these days, I'll get to working more than a couple hours before the deadline. On a positive note, this was the longest story I've written yet, and though it makes little sense, it was fun writing parts of it.

Cyan “Grand” – I've been lucky(?) enough to avoid jury duty so far, but I can imagine myself feeling a similar way. That you captured this in so few words is impressive.

Charade “Admit” – Really, the whole story was just a setup for the dialogue. It's a good thing it was fantastic.

My Votes:
1. FlowersisBritish - “Moral Support”
2. Cyan - "Grand"
3. Charade - "Admit"

LaMagenta

Lots of great implementations of the secondary objective this time week. Also lots of short entries.

karenq0506: Kind of torn on this one. I liked the notion of the personification of an earthquake describing how it goes about its business, but I was a little befuddled how the earthquake could know anything about the contents of Emily’s dream or how she has an emergency kit in the cat bed and such. I also didn’t think it was appropriate that they would know who Pinhead was, but I had a difficult time justifying not liking that that while at the same time I liked the talk of dancing. Seems if the earthquake can know what a waltz is, why can’t they know who Pinhead is, you know? The core concept is a good one, but maybe needed some more refining to limit the scope of the earthquake’s knowledge of events.

As I was writing, I thought to myself that someone might have an issue with how much the earthquake knew about anything. I guess I was a bit influenced by the movie "The Book Thief." Spoiler Alert
The narrator was from the POV of Death itself
[/QUOTE] The POV seemed to work there, so I thought WTH :p

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
As I was writing, I thought to myself that someone might have an issue with how much the earthquake knew about anything. I guess I was a bit influenced by the movie "The Book Thief." Spoiler Alert
The narrator was from the POV of Death itself

Neat, Now I really want to read the book thief.

Croll

Neo Member
Ashes - I really liked the ending. My only complaint was that, given how dialogue heavy it is, I sometimes lost track of who was talking.

karenq0506 - Very interesting concept. I felt the dream sequence opening was a little out of place but I liked your description of the earthquake moving like a dancer. There were a few overused phrases about things getting "crushed" and "falling".

tangent - I really liked what you did here, what with the way everything came together at the end and really cemented the challenge's theme. Daniel's personality was great and necessary to the story but I think it would have helped to introduce him a little earlier and maybe give an example of how he was "interesting"

Zweiger - Short and quirky. Enjoyed this one.

FlowersisBritish - Loved the inner dialogue as well as the morbid ending. I was a little thrown off by Chance's recklessness but accepted it for the whimsy of the story.

MikeM - I had a hard time gauging the tone of this story. I wasn't sure if you were going for serious or comical. One moment Brutus is describing his weapons of choice, then he is stuffing things into a fanny pack. That being said I think you did build some good tension.

exfixate - As I started reading I was slightly confused but you dropped just enough hints for me to get a good idea of the setting and I really think it paid off. However, I think the dialogue needs a little tweaking as everyone sounds a bit to surly.

Cyan - Well written and topical though I had a hard time reconciling the main character's initial apathy with his/her later anxiety.

Charade - Personally, while the dialogue was good, I think I needed a little more exposition. Was there a reason why Rin, who seemed to be in some position of power, couldn't have gotten the eternal flame without dancing through all the hoops?

1) Ashes - "500"
2) exfixate - "Legion"
3) FlowersisBritish - "Moral Support"

All the comments were much appreciated. When I mentioned the flimsy premise I was thinking along the lines of "How does someone become a DA with a criminal record to begin with?" or "Wouldn't the media look into the story regardless of the source?". I see now that much of the confusion revolved around how George's plan appeared to rely on coincidence. In my mind he was going to setup anyone he found that night and Brian was simply the one he happened upon. This is why it's so helpful to have another perspective when looking over your writing. Thanks again.

Tangent

My New Year's Resolution: start reading earlier so I can give feedback. Thanks all, for the feedback you gave me! I'm sorry I'm not reciprocating this time around!

1. Ashes
2. Flowers in British
3. Cyan.... side note: This reminded me of one idea I was thinking about... I was thinking of writing a story in the POV of Darren Wilson, wondering what was going on in his mind. But then I thought going through the thought patterns of Darren Wilson in that moment would be far too difficult of a beast to tackle.

Sustained Silent Reading- Tangent
I loved the general writing. The spelling test was well done, and Daniel's description is great. There's just a lot of good writing in general here. Knitpick though, kids would not answer like that. They'd all either be for shelters, or atleast they'd be a little more divided. Unless they're awful devil children though. I do really like the peer pressure thing going on though, just can't believe it happen like that with that question.
Wow, thank you so much for the feedback. I hate to tell you, but this was an entirely true story -- on both accounts.... :( Ugh, I feel sick just stating that. I was in fact hoping that this story would feel cathartic -- in writing it. Anyway, to the students' defense on their decision to vote for the stadium and not the shelters except for that one red-haired kid: these kids lived in a bit of a bubble. They didn't know the first thing about homelessness. In fact, some kids had never seen an apartment. But they weren't entitled snobby brats either. But they just didn't understand the concept of homelessness.

Tangent: Reading this one immediately after Karen’s created the false impression that they were somehow related : P. This one kind of just… meandered around all over the place, and I’m not sure what the point of it was. The first part with the spelling test seemed to be some sort of set up for a morality lesson of telling the truth and not cheating, which seemed to have no relation to the second part of the story where we learn that sportsball fans have little sportsball fan children who are all unempathetic little monsters. Including the protagonist. Idunno, just felt like we were getting set up for a variety of moral lessons, but nothing ever came of it.
Interesting. Yeah, I think the point was that the same kid can be very different -- making the "right" choice or the "wrong" choice... in the same day. And how what is unanimously "right" can feel dependent on the context of what's (socially) safe vs. morally "right." Side note: I actually hoped to give the notion that there weren't a lot of sportsball fans -- just kids who thought they are supposed to be sportsball fans. Btw, I like the word "sportsball."

tangent - I really liked what you did here, what with the way everything came together at the end and really cemented the challenge's theme. Daniel's personality was great and necessary to the story but I think it would have helped to introduce him a little earlier and maybe give an example of how he was "interesting"
Yeah, really good point. "Interesting" is vague. And it would have been cool to somehow tie him into the choice made in the first half of the story. Thanks for the tip!

Mike M

Nick N
MSide note: I actually hoped to give the notion that there weren't a lot of sportsball fans -- just kids who thought they are supposed to be sportsball fans. Btw, I like the word "sportsball."
post-38985-sports-do-the-thing-win-the-po-ODZm.gif

Cyan

Banned
Haha, I enjoyed the cool takes on the secondary. Nice work all around. :)

Votes:
1. Tangent - "Sustained Silent Reading"
2. Charade - "Admit"
3. Mike M - "Nothing Personal"

Cyan

Banned
Mike M: I tried to strike a balance where there were clues that Brutus was not a human without giving it away completely. Honestly I was afraid that stuff like climbing the outside of the hotel, slinking through small spaces unimpeded, needing to climb up to the counter to use the sink, and expressly discounting that he has any peers after mentioning how people online treat him as they do any other human was—if anything—laying it on too thick. But going from feedback so far, it appears that people thought the reveal came out of nowhere, I maybe erred too much on the side of caution? The clichés I could work out of the thing, but the other criticisms being leveled are more deeply engrained and may not be salvageable to put this out into a story that stands on its own feet. I tried to make it as independent of the previous stories as possible, but the risk of that is that as soon as Agent Lee shows up and starts talking about Consensus, we go way off the rails from a story about an unconventional assassin into my head canon for a weirdo sci-fi universe that no one else knows about.
As soon as he started climbing the side of the building I figured he was a squirrel. So the reveal that he was actually a monkey did take me a little by surprise. :p I'd been thinking about squirrel lifespans and how feasible it would actually be to train one as an assassin. Anyway. I think you've identified the main problem, which is that without knowledge of the previous stories, the ending doesn't really give much closure or resolution.

Charade

Thanks Mike for making the list! I can't imagine doing that on mobile, yikes! And thanks to everyone who left feedback/comments (unlike me! but I'll echo the really great implementation of the secondaries, especially the pov stuff).

Here's my votes:

1. Tangent
2. Mike M
3. FlowersisBritish
HM: Ashes

Mike M

Nick N
God damn it, people, must I do everything?

Looks like a tie between Tangent and FlowersisBritish at 13pts each with three 1st place votes apiece?

Someone want to double check that?

Mike M

Nick N
There you go, then! That's what I get for trying to tabulate votes in a meeting.

Congrats to Flower! Now gimme mah next prompt!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yay me! Thanks everyone I just got out of work. I'll have the new thread(incidentally my first thread ever made) up in a few hours. Gotta destress and such.

Also first win. The dull of my day is slowly being overtaken by a smile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom