• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #181 - "Adrift"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluvian

Banned
Sort of specific dates? Due dates are Fridays and voting dates are Mondays so if you wanted to you could calculate it out months in advance.

You can subscribe to this thread and when the next challenge is posted it will be linked here.

You're really not too late unless you just don't have time to write it in the coming days. More than half of us (including me) either haven't started yet or only have a little written. :p

Well I guess it's not to late to give it a go. I love the thoughts the word "adrift" bring to mind, reminds me of a great book I read once called Dove.

Fluvian

Banned
While it sometimes changes, the vast majority of the time we stick to the schedule.

New topic on Tuesday, between mid-morning and late afternoon
Writing period from Tuesday for a week and a half, ending on a Friday
(Sunday hangout in the middle of this period)
Reading/voting from Saturday to Monday
Votes counted Tuesday morning, a winner is chosen, they come up with a new topic
Goto start

So if you come back here a week from tomorrow, there should be a new topic sometime that day. There's always a link left in the prior thread so that everyone can find the new one.

On the other hand, you've still got until this Friday for this one. While a few people have already submitted, most of us are still working on ours. You've got loads of time to get something written!

Oh it's a competition? Well now my ego won't allow me to not give it a shot.

Mike M

Nick N
You're not a real participant unless you wait to the last minute, throw something together, and post it hours after the deadline.

Well, at least once, anyway. I don't do that.

Fluvian

Banned
You're not a real participant unless you wait to the last minute, throw something together, and post it hours after the deadline.

Well, at least once, anyway. I don't do that.

Sounds like something Douglas Adams would have done, perfect.

Red

Wesleyan University is now offering a creative writing specialization through Coursera. Figured someone here might be interested.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
What the shit, Flowers.

I thought we were last minute bros.

Things outside of my control have popped up forcing me to not procrastinate, mostly because i am going to be figuratively dead tomorrow. What could the thing be? Maybe I have to go to my brothers funeral? Maybe I'm plotting ahead to stab Mike in the back again on the timely date March 15th? Maybe I'm doing a shift tomorrow into six am on saturday? Chose your own destiny.

Cyan

Banned
Man, I'm feeling the OP curse so hard. The thing I was working on just isn't coming together, not a ton of time tomorrow. And I feel so betrayed by flowers.

Nezumi

Don't you worry last minute writing gaf, I have you thoroughly covered as 'The Witness' is taking up all of my brain's capacities.

Sethista

I had a good idea for this today. What are the odds?

In brazil we are 6 hours ahead tho, I wonder if I can make it....

Tangent

*rubs hands together*

All right, time to come up with an idea that sticks! And then write it!

*stretches out arms and wiggles fingers before gently placing them on the keyboard*
*checks email*

Edit: Wow, Mike M just posted. I must be early!

Cyan

Banned
Completely ground to a halt and want to get some sleep, so I'm posting an incomplete snippet.

Whispers

The sea no longer whispered. The stars no longer sang. The quiet lap of water on the sides of his canoe was a meaningless babble, the shape of the clouded night sky a dissonant hum.

"You're a fool, boy," said the voice of his mentor. "All this distance alone?"

He drank from one of his skins of water. He had fruit and water enough to last him days.

"And what good is that when you drift without direction on open sea? A fool."

It wasn't fair. He had planned so carefully. Gathered provisions, plotted his course, readied his canoe--

"Yours?"

He hung his head. He had taken the canoe. And perhaps the squall that had thrown him off course had been his punishment.

No. That was a foolish thought. A storm was too large to be punishment for one unimportant boy. He trailed a hand in the water, feeling nothing. He was too far from home to turn back now, and besides he wouldn't know the way. Would anyone regret his disappearance?

"Ah, child," said the voice of his grandmother. She sounded gently chiding, like the time she'd caught him stealing a toy from his brother. "There is yet hope."

But was there? He had lost the guideposts and could not find them again.

[an ill-defined middle ahead. I think you can guess how I would've ended it. :p]

Nezumi

Dann that stupid cold for knocking me out completely the last 2 days. Once more I'm cutting this way closer than I wanted and there is no way I'll be able to write the story I had planned. Time to yank out a couple of hundred words of something.

Nezumi

I give up. My mind is simply to focussed on my original idea and I can't find a way to make it short and simple. I think I'll just crawl back into my bed with a cup of tea and emerge when it is time for a new topic on Tuesday.

Ashes

Banned
haven't read a thing yet
still haven't.
I've put the kettle on. And will start reading with a hot cup of tea.

Sethista

1 - karenq0506 - The Wallpaper from that Old House
2 - mu cephei - Everything
3 - dangerbyrnes - Drifting In The Dark

mu cephei

1. Mike M..............
2. Flowers.............
3. Crunched..........
HM. Sethista, Azih

Spoilered them, though atm I'm more worried my biases tend me towards voting for stories of the same genre to the one I wrote this week, rather than being influenced by other people.
(Then again, there were a TON of scif fi stories, so.)

Red

I started a space story, about two technicians studying Jupiter from one of its moons, before deciding against it. Had a feeling we'd see too much space stuff this round.

1. Ashes
2. Flowers
3. Mike M

hm: Ward, Tangent

Will try to give some feedback before the end of the day.

Sethista

1. Mike M..............
2. Flowers.............
3. Crunched..........
HM. Sethista, Azih

Spoilered them, though atm I'm more worried my biases tend me towards voting for stories of the same genre to the one I wrote this week, rather than being influenced by other people.
(Then again, there were a TON of scif fi stories, so.)

your story was incredible, the story I wanted to learn more about the universe the most. I felt like I was watching the lemonhope arc in adventure time.

1. Flowers: sci-fi yes, but i liked it was about a space drifter going to a new place, and not about a physical ship drifting through space, dialogue is what made me like this the most, felt very real.

2. mu cephei: like the concept, if i understand correctly its some organic space lifeform interacting with this small family in space, just not sure what this family was doing other than... space stuff.

3. Mike M: well written sci-fi disaster, i like the constant name changing for the object, again, i wasn't quite sure what this crew was doing before everything went wrong, i guess exploring the planet? (is this inspired by the possible planet beyond Pluto?)

HM: Karenq: i like the usage of adrift to talk about a couple drifting apart in their relationship, interesting concept, but it could have been expanded i think.
HM: ashes: thought it was interesting, but the chapter format was strange, and im not sure what the point was, guess it doesn't need one. but the dialogue and the story was interesting.

Glad i went in a different direction with mine, still sci-fi, but not in space, because there was a lot of spaceships this week.

mu cephei

your story was incredible, the story I wanted to learn more about the universe the most. I felt like I was watching the lemonhope arc in adventure time.

Gosh, thanks :) I do plan on developing this actually, I like the idea and want to work on it. Really glad you liked it!

2. mu cephei: like the concept, if i understand correctly its some organic space lifeform interacting with this small family in space, just not sure what this family was doing other than... space stuff.

Yeah, I left far too much stuff out, a frequent failing of mine >.<

Thankyou both for the feedback.

Azih

Votes

1 mu cephei - Everything
Just really well written and the mystery had just enough hints of what was going on to keep it from being too obtuse to follow.

2 frekifox7 - Tell Me Goodbye
When I realized Jack was in a coma the story came together really well.

3 Mike M - Dark Pantheon
Piter was the most memorable character in the contest and that deserves a vote. A typo crept through though and one paragraph was just too wordy. Hubristic and Tenebrous are the two words I'm thinking of

Other comments

Crunched - Contrition
I liked it but it felt really stifling overall.

FlowersisBritish - Find Peace In Your Sky, Oh Bird With Broken Legs
For me the dialogue felt stilted here. Pali and Hughes seemed to be declaiming rather than speaking

dangerbyrnes - Drifting In The Dark
A really interesting concept. The dream parts of the story confused me as to what was actually going on but I figure that's a problem with describing how future technology operates

karenq0506 - The Wallpaper from that Old House
A sweet short story. Didn't get much of a sense of anyone except Michael though.

Sethista - The Middle
Felt like it was inspired by To The Moon with the main character rewriting her memories to make them seem more heroic. Since so many people were heading out to space in this world though it didn't make sense to me why she would think she'd get a minute of silence and schools named after her. Her two differing accounts weren't very distinct from each other also. The first story was more inspiring to me then her second Mary Sue version honestly.

Ward - Cinnamon Raisins Messing with My Mind
Fun Mulder and Scully story with a Sliders twist at the end. The dialogue of the two main characters felt a bit inconsistent though.

Tangent - The Waiting Game
I couldn't tell if Murley was an elf or not in the story and that felt like it mattered. Also I couldn't tell what it was that made Murley's son so angry.

Cyan - Whispers
It was a great start and getting different voices through different visions/hallucinations was a really good idea.

Ashes - kitchen sink
The relationship between Marcus and Tim didn't feel real to me and the comment about the plan being too elaborate I agree with.

It's dumb but not getting votes discourages me from writing. Le sigh. Thanks for the HM mu cephei.

Tangent

Man, I'm sorry to have to say this again, but I will have to DNQ myself. I'm home sick and won't be able to read all the stories to vote. Sorry all!

Mike M

Nick N
Crunched: Nothing jumped out at me as being mechanically deficient, and it was—by and large—well written. I think it could be stronger, however. In particular, the first scene reads like a recitation of a list of events more than it does a narrative, and the ultimate reveal seemed unnecessary since it didn’t impart any knowledge that the reader wouldn’t have already deduced on their own from the context. Literally from the line “do you remember me,” we have a very good idea that the porcelain doll is a recreation of his daughter. There were some aspects that I found confusing, as well. It starts with a description of Renault lifting a mold that is described as being heavy, and yet he’s only lifting them with his fingernails? Something there is missing to allow the reader to complete the picture. Also, while I admit that my knowledge of ceramics is pretty meager, it read to me that he was recreating the outside world in porcelain for her at full size rather than scale miniatures. That has many logistical problems, not the least of which the size of the molds and kiln required an the speed with which he seemingly made them. Again, something there is missing. The overall concept was great. Kudos for not doing spaceships.

Azih: This one kind of lives or dies by the science of it, and it rang a bit false. Plasma in space being largely super heated gas (I’m not sure if it really forms clouds? Maybe after a star goes nova?), it would follow that any ship that is capable of withstanding such an environment for prolonged periods of time would be adequately shielded against the radiation, even if it’s just an ancillary effect. Even allowing for the radiation to penetrate portions of the ship, plasma typically radiates X-rays, which I don’t think are going to really damage solid state storage or whatever medium the AI exists on. This is all me going off half-forgotten physics lessons from a class I rode the curve to a C in nearly 20 years ago, so maybe I’m just wildly off base. Questions of the framing device aside, I liked the back and forth between the AI and Jules, and I felt for them when Aye finally succumbed to its fate. It would have been more impactful if the ending wasn’t just a summation of the events after the last conversation, but what are you going to do with the word count...

FlowersisBritish: Frankly I think the sci-fi angle on this was unnecessary, and probably served more to undermine the story than enhance it for me. This seems to have been conceived to be a story from the time before commercial air flight with space talk bolted onto it, as all I can think about is how hard a time I can have believing that she would be carrying around physical letters her husband wrote when writing physical letters is already pretty archaic and quaint even in our time. Plus, her husband seems like a colossal dick of the first order to subject her to that. Christ.

dangerbyrnes: There was an edge to this one that I was sad to see never quite when where I’d hoped. All of the imagery of the dream-version of his house and the spastic ethereal arm were suitably creepy, but it didn’t capitalize on the tone it was building. This read like it was going to be a horror story of man being undone by their own creation, and it kiiiiiiiinda went there in the end, but it didn’t go far enough to satisfy me. The protagonist won out against the conflict, but it didn’t seem to really cost him anything since he went into the story already missing his arm.

karenq0506: I don’t think we spent enough time with Michael and Victor to form any sort of attachment that would cause them drifting apart at the end to have much emotional impact. On a technical/mechanical level, indenting the start of new paragraphs (or if not, putting a full line break between them) is crucial to readability. I mostly read these on my phone, and this was hard for me to follow adequately.

Mike M: I’d had the basic premise of this floating around in my head for a while (though in my original conception, they fell into Jupiter). I was going to write something else entirely, but then there was all the news last week about the evidence of a giant ninth planet beyond the orbit of Pluto, and, well, everything just fell together for me. Lately I’ve become hyper-aware of my usage of dialogue tags, and have been trying to force myself to use them only when it’s necessary to identify a new speaker or active conversation between more than two parties. If I don't drop the words "hubristic" and "tenebrous" at least three times a day, I have failed in life.

Sethista: Putting aside technical errors (“john” not capitalized repeatedly, “Ok” instead of “Okay”), what sticks out to me the most is that the contents of her final letter seems a little odd given the stakes. By her own admission, she has no one left behind, so I’m not sure what value she sees in a hastily recollected anecdote about the time she kissed one of her friends and how she came to be an astronaut, let alone doing it twice with minor edits between the two drafts. I guess it’s nice for her that she can go in peace thinking that her life would mean something to others, but I’m having trouble seeing how that would be the case.

Ward: The subject matter is similar to something I wrote last year or the year before. I liked it then too for it’s creepy concept, but the blasé, cavalier attitude and conversation of the two investigators let all the air out of it. That anyone in such a situation would act that way destroyed any possible suspension of disbelief for me. Which is a shame, because the detail at the end about the car being a different color was a great thing to end it on that would have been utterly chilling if not for the random digression about the Simpsons and Family Guy.

Tangent: The contrast of fairy tale conventions with vulgarity is always such a weird thing. You’ve got a guy blowing magic bubbles while his son swears a blue streak, it just sets a mismatched tone for me. I was kind of left wanting more, or at the very least to know what the ideas they had were and how it would pertain to the dad needing to come up with something original for serving the animals. The central conflict seemed to have been left unresolved, or at least it was a rather underwhelming “he needed to have an idea and came up with one. The end.”

frekifox7: Nothing I can tell you about this one that I didn’t already tell you. Go read my revised first chapter of Einhorn, it’s in the Dropbox : P

Cyan: I like to think this just ends abruptly because his canoe capsized and he drowned.

Ashes: I started off really liking this, but the longer it went on the, more incredulous I got. I’ve never personally been shot, but if the judge is bleeding out of three bullet wounds, I have a great deal of difficulty believing that he would remain so completely calm and emotionless as he correctly deduces the identity of his assailant. Even before we get to that point, some of his conclusions and deductions seem a bridge too far. In particular, I’m not sure what the logical path is for him to go from thinking it’s a white guy to absolute knowledge that it’s a black guy. He explained it, true, but nothing about the explanation seemed to lend itself to that conclusion for me. Guess that’s the trouble with writing clever clogs is that you have to smarter still, which can be a real uphill challenge.

mu cephi: The protagonist didn’t understand in the end, and I don’t think I did either. We went from what seemed to be a spaceborne life form satisfying its curiosity to the extinction/assimilation of organic life save for him and the Everything entity? If it had just been the station, that’d be one thing, but I was left with the impression that it was something more cosmic in scale. Not sure I understand why the Everything would keep him alive when it goes and kills everything else, either.

Votes:
1.) Crunched
2.) Ashes
3.) frekifox7

frekifox7

Neo Member
My votes

1. Mike: Loved the title! Your dialogue was great as always and the pacing flowed nicely.

2. Azih: I liked the dialogue between Jules and Aye, especially how Jule's emotion builds toward Aye. The comparison of the nebula to cotton candy was a fun detail!

3. Cyan: May have only been a snippet, but what you had really drew me in, making me want to read more.

Red

Mike, your feedback is always excellent, thank you.

Some feedback (no order here, will try to add more later)

Ashes - really enjoyed the first half, the battle of wits and wills. Twist seemed unnecessary, but the uncertainty about the shooter's identity is well done. Chapter breaks smartly placed. Ending goes on a bit too long, exposition very rear-loaded. Could use some of that attempt at friend-making earlier. The motivation for the murder attempt does not seem totally justified, which is reflected in the way the judge's life is spared but not in the way he is still shot three times anyway. I don't know that I need that last scene to be in a car on the way to a hospital. I enjoyed reading the story and thought the characters played off each other well. The action is extreme for the situation but despite any breaks in suspension of disbelief both characters are shown to be competent, which is compelling here. Your protagonist is perhaps too clever.

mu cephei - got some 2001 vibes from the object in space. Did not think the bookends were necessary. They are so vague and nebulous that we get nothing from them. They are flavor text, but with no substance. The meat of the story is what happens between, and is much more interesting. The more specific you are, the better.

Tangent - I have to disagree with Mike on the incongruity of tone. I like some vulgarity in an otherwise standard fairy tale. Used sparingly, these moments can be funny. They tell us the narrator is in his own world, oblivious to the way things really are, oblivious to the dirt and grit of the real story. They bring us back to earth. But I am with Mike on the resolution happening out of convenience. The conflict doesn't seem natural and the son having an idea at the end seems like a beat that should go somewhere, but doesn't. It's a car horn beeping to tell me to wake up, pay attention, but the roads ends and there is nothing left to pay attention to.

Ward - fun concept! I enjoyed the banter but it goes on a little long. The first section could be removed without losing anything—we get a recap later—and much of the lead up to finding the kids and the fridge can be eliminated without affecting what we need to know about the story. Get us there faster, because that's when things really begin. Strong ending! Nice way to bring us back to the idea of "same but different." I would like more specific description of the inside-fridge setting. What it looks like, what it smells like, and so on. I know it's supposed to be mysterious, but I'm sure the mystery can be maintained while giving us more imagery.

Flowers - I did not care about the plot here as much as I did about your characters. They are all well drawn and believable, with consistent behaviors and considered dialogue. Carried on the strength of its characters. Easy to visualize. Moves well, never gets too hung up on a single point. Good content for a short form story. Maybe too direct at times, in the way information is delivered to the reader. Though the characters maintain their own voices they sometimes turn into exposition vending machines. We don't need to get all their information directly. It is okay to deliver info through non sequiturs, through deflections and subtext.

Mike - some really beautiful imagery. That last paragraph is haunting. Your dialogue solid as always. Rarely feels untrue. The line "maybe we will be immortals..." stretches credulity. It feels like a neat little cap to place on the story, but in a way it was like a pinhole letting the air out of a balloon. The image of the astronauts holding hands as they are lost to the dark is much more striking. We don't need the direct statement. To show immortality, maybe a parallel, image, or metaphor would better serve the story, something more subtle. Well-written—that's no surprise. As much as I like the imagery of the ending, it feels like a very easy place to end things. Not that it is unearned, but by letting the characters die, and die so easily, so quickly accepting that there is nothing can be done with a sort of superhuman serenity, makes them feel as if they function as pieces moved in service of the story, without any real agency of their own. They may be presented vividly, but they don't have much personality of their own. I wanted more inner life to these people.

I don't think the vocabulary used is necessarily a problem, but the proximity of a couple of words may be.

Cyan

Banned
1. Crunched - "Contrition" - I've seen the premise before, but your execution is top-notch.
2. FlowersisBritish - "Find Peace In Your Sky, Oh Bird With Broken Legs" - felt a bit heavy-handed at times, but I enjoyed the voice in this one.
3. Ward - "Cinnamon Raisins Messing with My Mind" - a little too silly and almost doesn't hold together, but the ending totally made this for me.

frekifox7 - "Tell Me Goodbye" - I think I would've actually liked this more without the ending twist. The emotion of it feels raw and real, and the twist takes away from that sense of honesty.

Ashes - "kitchen sink" - I almost always love your work, but this didn't feel to me like a proper Ashes story. There's an underlying sense of truthfulness to most of your work, and I didn't get that here. It felt forced. I don't know if this is in the story or in my head, and I'm not sure I could be more specific. Hope this isn't entirely unhelpful. :p

If I don't drop the words "hubristic" and "tenebrous" at least three times a day, I have failed in life.
I gotta be honest. I rarely notice the vocab thing in your stories, even when other people are bothered by it, but here I really did, and it was kind of grating. I feel like it's a silly thing to be bothered by, but for whatever reason I was, and it hurt the story for me. Bummer because the character voices were solid and I enjoyed the naming thing.

Glad to see a lot of returning writers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom