• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf dislike button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aintitcool

Banned
What would you guys think of having a dislike button on neogaf, so we can show the ignorant exactly how ignorant they are?

Yeah, that's a good idea if you want to create an echo chamber instead of a discussion forum. It's why upvote/downvote systems are so shitty.

I'd rather get rid of the like button.

NewYork214

The like button is nice because you can support someone's opinion without having to repeat the same information. It also helps with encouraging others when this place becomes toxic with people berating each other and making people not want to comment in fear of being attacked. (All forums can be toxic, don't mean neogaf specifically)

Dislike would be used to just team up on people and create more toxicity and unwelcoming behavior. Disagreements should be dealt with discussion not blind dislikes, in my opinion anyway.

Hudo

The like button is nice because you can support someone's opinion without having to repeat the same information. It also helps with encouraging others when this place becomes toxic with people berating each other and making people not want to comment in fear of being attacked. (All forums can be toxic, don't mean neogaf specifically)

Dislike would be used to just team up on people and create more toxicity and unwelcoming behavior. Disagreements should be dealt with discussion not blind dislikes, in my opinion anyway.
I have actually witnessed this on a German gaming forum. A dislike/like system was implemented. What followed was pretty much a huge wave of dislikes for every post that dared to go against the norm and sometimes even targeted dislikes for every post of specific users. Ironically enough, likes weren't really given. After a while it was decided to remove that system again. The original (utopian) intention was that spam/troll posts could be hidden/removed by the participants of a thread.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What would you guys think of having a dislike button on neogaf, so we can show the ignorant exactly how ignorant they are?
What if we get it and everybody comes back here and downvotes you to hell? Also on other forums people that hold grudges go thru peoples posts and abuse that making the Like button useless. The solution? Puppy stickers.

Aintitcool

Banned
I have actually witnessed this on a German gaming forum. A dislike/like system was implemented. What followed was pretty much a huge wave of dislikes for every post that dared to go against the norm and sometimes even targeted dislikes for every post of specific users. Ironically enough, likes weren't really given. After a while it was decided to remove that system again. The original (utopian) intention was that spam/troll posts could be hidden/removed by the participants of a thread.
Ahh okay, then it is indeed not a good idea. Thank you. I was imagining it as not hiding comments but just creating a list of the likers and dislikers.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Given how DeepEnigma DeepEnigma pretty much auto-likes my posts i am in favor of removing the like system lol.

But in all seriousness:
What dislikes (And +1's/-1's) tend to do is that users quickly wont use the system for what it is meant to do (Meaning upvoting quality posts/downvoting shit posts) but rather abuse the system into agreeing with someone. You should get an upvote for a quality* post and a downvote for a shit post, but such systems establish that even oneliner crap posts (that speak ''the truth'') get a ton of likes.

*Quality posts in my eyes are those that represent a balanced opinion backed up by links.

Humdinger

No, I'd be against that. It turns it into a popularity contest and people become too attuned to whether they're getting up-voted or down-voted. It just encourages more hostility and conflict. We've got enough of that already.

Besides, if you disagree, just say so. Hitting a "dislike" indicator is a lazy, cowardly way to disagree without having to actually say anything.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
No, I'd be against that. It turns it into a popularity contest and people become too attuned to whether they're getting up-voted or down-voted. It just encourages more hostility and conflict. We've got enough of that already.

Besides, if you disagree, just say so. Hitting a "dislike" indicator is a lazy, cowardly way to disagree without having to actually say anything.

Agree 100%

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No, and for all the reasons NewYork just stated.

Agreed. The like feature is great as it cuts down on people posting nothing more than “This” in replies to state agreement with someone who already posted what they would have. Dislikes/downvotes just breed hostility and negativity which gaming forums already have far too much of.

JimmyJones

Banned

I dislike this post.

Also look at the state of reddit. Upvotes and downvotes lead to a cancerous echo chamber like the guy above me said.

Last edited:

Avasarala

Emoji Emperor
Staff Member

I offer for consideration - it is perfectly acceptable also to 'like' a post that you might personally vehemently disagree with - Sometimes it's the quality of the discussion itself that is pleasing!

I've found during moderation that my favorites are the ones where the thread corrects itself with well thought out and stated dissenting posts.

Hello everyone!

:pie_raybans::pie_beaming_smiling:

I'm going back to my Pie now.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Agree with the others on this.
Agrees are fine cause it’s a positive.
Disagrees should really come in the form of a well thought out post.

NewYork214

I offer for consideration - it is perfectly acceptable also to 'like' a post that you might personally vehemently disagree with - Sometimes it's the quality of the discussion itself that is pleasing!

I agree, anything to encourage discussion. Need to see both sides and discourage groupthink situations.

I liked your post. But only because I couldn’t dislike it. If I could dislike the comment, I’d show you how much I dislike your idea.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
We've already got an ignore function. No need for dislike. Always remember the KISS system.

Keep
It
Simple
Stupid

Last edited:

Airola

What if we get it and everybody comes back here and downvotes you to hell? Also on other forums people that hold grudges go thru peoples posts and abuse that making the Like button useless. The solution? Puppy stickers.

Yeah. I think that with like button it even isn't possible for someone to give a person they like a "like" for every single post. People usually only give likes when they write something that they like. And the people they like aren't always writing posts they like.
But with the "unlike" button it is certainly possible that someone would look at another user and think they are an asshole and give them unlike for posts that don't even have content they really dislike.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously I'm in favor for removing the like button and it being replaced by cute dog stickers.

Maybe

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dislikes would definitely be abused, unfortunately.

People debate some really sensitive subjects, and it would be all but assured that either side of the fence would just be lobbing dislikes at those they argue with just because they don’t like what they are saying...not necessarily the content of what was said but the stance of it.

Likes alone pretty much do the same thing as likes and dislikes anyways. If someone has 5 likes on a post and the person they’re discussing something with has 0, it’s pretty clear who has a bit more favor amongst the community without having to also add “and fuck this other guy” in the form of dislikes.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I do agree that a dislike button would discourage discussion. You can disagree and run away without making a case.

Likes work the other way, you can agree without making a post but in that case, you don't need to make a case because you are agreeing with something already stated. Further, a thread full of people agreeing and nothing else is boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom