• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Fantasy Football League (No Quitters 7) | Keeping Cloudy's Legacy Alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

Wow... I can't believe you were able to swindle Lamar Miller out of XOF for Riddick after a bye week and a coaching upheaval by the Dolphins. I don't care if he's been garbage all season. Everyone on the Fins has been and the talent and potential Miller brings to the table just supercedes anything Riddick is doing on an equally inept offense.

Nice work, minx. Consider me in your fan club going forward. Hell, I'm kicking myself that I didn't think of throwing a package together for him now. Would have offered something like a combo of Brandin Cooks and Matt Jones for him and a scrub receiver.
Can we just go back for a second and revisit the trade of the season?

The day after I posted this Miller went off for 113 yards and a touchdown. He's averaged 24.35 fantasy points over his last 4 games... which, incidentally, is the best performance of any running back in our scoring format. This is the very definition of buying low at the right time. My only regret is that I didn't follow up this post with offers for Miller in my other leagues.

Speaking of trades, the trade deadline in No Quitters is THIS Friday. You're stuck grasping straws from a very thin waiver wire after that.

UberTag

Final warning that the trade deadline expires tomorrow. Hope we see a deadline deal or two as teams make their last big push for the fantasy playoffs.

For what it's worth I'm not sure exactly when during the day the trade cutoff kicks in (whether it's at midnight Eastern tonight or midnight Pacific tomorrow night) or some time in between.
(Actually, just did a little bit of research and can confirm the deadline is at midnight Pacific tomorrow night.)

But your team is like this perfect chemistry of injury-proof mega-talented overachievers.
Why would you ever want to wreck such a good group of guys by trading some of them away?
I'm not sure you can even improve anywhere.

Well I didn't say a trade was likely...

Turning my bench into better starters would be nice.

The other league seems almost equally trade averse though

UberTag

The other league seems almost equally trade averse though
Don't believe I've received a single trade offer for Gronk. Rather shocked about that given the lack of consistency at Tight End and my clear need for depth almost everywhere else. It's like people don't even want to win that league. I know my sorry 6-3 club sure as heck won't be a contender thanks to losing Foster and Lewis.

At least with Quitters I can understand not getting any offers for most of my guys.

Don't believe I've received a single trade offer for Gronk. Rather shocked about that given the lack of consistency at Tight End and my clear need for depth almost everywhere else. It's like people don't even want to win that league. I know my sorry 6-3 club sure as heck won't be a contender thanks to losing Foster and Lewis.

At least with Quitters I can understand not getting any offers for most of my guys.

I should probably offer Yeldon and Gates lol. Well I will try to look closer later. Not sure people want to deal with a fellow competitor though ;)

UberTag

I should probably offer Yeldon and Gates lol. Well I will try to look closer later. Not sure people want to deal with a fellow competitor though ;)
I'm a pretty sub-par competitor if you ask me. Been too preoccupied with work to put out much of an effort this year. I've won a single GAF league out of something like a half-dozen championship games. Frankly, I need to do a better job of draft prep next year instead of waiting to the last second.

Speaking of top-tier drafting, I'm in awe at what you were able to pull together...

1. (4) Antonio Brown (Pit - WR)
2. (29) DeAndre Hopkins (Hou - WR)
3. (36) Mark Ingram (NO - RB)
4. (61) T.J. Yeldon (Jax - RB)
5. (68) Tom Brady (NE - QB)
6. (93) Torrey Smith (SF - WR)
7. (100) LeGarrette Blount (NE - RB)
8. (125) Brandon LaFell (NE - WR)
9. (132) Owen Daniels (Den - TE)
10. (157) Jay Cutler (Chi - QB)
11. (164) Dwayne Allen (Ind - TE)
12. (189) Green Bay (GB - DEF)
13. (196) Cody Latimer (Den - WR)
14. (221) Brandon McManus (Den - K)

I mean, really your only early-round miss there was Smith. And you pounced on Barnidge immediately as soon as he broke out to fill your Tight End hole. Pretty stellar job, IMO.

Thanks. Yeah, it's a bit sad, not sure why I took Torrey now to be honest. I guess I thought him and Boldin could challenge the field, but in reality they are just using him as a Kenny Stills-like deep threat.

It's interesting, I really felt like NQ was the league I wanted to go super WR heavy in this year, and then I took the calculated risk on Brady which cleared up a whole lot faster than I thought, whereas in SL I felt more strongly about RB and got burned for it for 4 consecutive weeks.

Allen is probably the bust I hate the most. Colts really fell for the "Dream Team" problem and burned so hard.

UberTag

Thanks. Yeah, it's a bit sad, not sure why I took Torrey now to be honest. I guess I thought him and Boldin could challenge the field, but in reality they are just using him as a Kenny Stills-like deep threat.
To be fair, the Ravens were pretty much just using him in that role as well. Except that Flacco can throw a football deep whereas Kaepernick and Gabbert don't seem to be able to.

It's interesting, I really felt like NQ was the league I wanted to go super WR heavy in this year, and then I took the calculated risk on Brady which cleared up a whole lot faster than I thought, whereas in SL I felt more strongly about RB and got burned for it for 4 consecutive weeks.
Given the way most of the first-round RBs either crashed and burned, underachieved or both (pretty much everyone except for ADP) and most of the top-flight receivers panned out (with the notable exception of Dez), I suspect we'll be seeing some heavy re-evaluation of who to draft in the first round next year.

Allen is probably the bust I hate the most. Colts really fell for the "Dream Team" problem and burned so hard.
I was anti-Colts the entire off-season. That was one thing I got right. Problem is I still wound up with Allen in the Shirtless league due to a draft hangup glitch on NFL.com and Luck in my long-time ESPN keeper league because he was the only non-keeper QB with top-shelf value.

That said, the ageless ever-indestructible Frank Gore is still hashing out a half-decent season all things considered.

I was anti-Colts the entire off-season. That was one thing I got right. Problem is I still wound up with Allen in the Shirtless league due to a draft hangup glitch on NFL.com and Luck in my long-time ESPN keeper league because he was the only non-keeper QB with top-shelf value.

One of the sites I was using was insistent he had 7th round value, probably because of all of the Luck projections. And I was trying to say "but Fleener, but the other WRs..." and eventually just picked him for value. Now the Colts are a junktime team with Hasselbeck. Yikes.

UberTag

Doesn't look like there are going to be any deadline trades made after all. That's awfully boring. That will effectively cement Bail Kings into odds-on favorite status to join Dinner Out as two-time No Quitters league champions.

Incidentally, crazymoogle... I will be super-heated if you make it to the playoffs at 13-0 and then wind up getting upset by Dinner Out during Money Week and wind up with nothing. If there's one thing that will get me to start lobbying for a 6-team playoff with Week 14 byes and an extra cash prize for the top scoring team during the regular season, it's that.

That said, a playoff showdown between you two would be thrilling to watch.

Doesn't look like there are going to be any deadline trades made after all. That's awfully boring. That will effectively cement Bail Kings into odds-on favorite status to join Dinner Out as two-time No Quitters league champions.

Incidentally, crazymoogle... I will be super-heated if you make it to the playoffs at 13-0 and then wind up getting upset by Dinner Out during Money Week and wind up with nothing. If there's one thing that will get me to start lobbying for a 6-team playoff with Week 14 byes and an extra cash prize for the top scoring team during the regular season, it's that.

That said, a playoff showdown between you two would be thrilling to watch.

Nothing you can do come playoff time. Really just a coin flip. That's why I prefer byes or two week aggregates, but not everybody likes that. Anyway still a month to go before then.

In my other league we do a payout for most points each week.

It rewards the best teams in the league, even if they get unlucky in the playoffs. At the same time it encourages teams at the bottom of the standings to stay involved at the end of the year, because if they are out of the playoff hunt they can still potentially earn some cash.

Something to keep in mind.

I need a reminder for this next year. I'm in a league with people at work and it's pretty lame. Most people have stopped caring.

At 5-4 I'm still way too invested, lol.

UberTag

In my other league we do a payout for most points each week.

It rewards the best teams in the league, even if they get unlucky in the playoffs. At the same time it encourages teams at the bottom of the standings to stay involved at the end of the year, because if they are out of the playoff hunt they can still potentially earn some cash.

Something to keep in mind.
I sort of like the idea of incrementally increasing payouts for most points in the week.
Maybe like $10 for Weeks 1-4, $15 for Weeks 5-8, $20 for Weeks 9-12 and $25 for Week 13.
After which freeze the eliminated team rosters for Weeks 14-16.

UberTag

Some nailbiter fantasy matchups this week.

And while the 0.3 point margin of victory for minx over the Commish might be the tightest we've seen all year, it's that improbable win for XOF over Dinner Out tonight that has me excited as it could have serious playoff implications.

That said, scoring corrections can always and have changed outcomes in the past so I wouldn't consider either of these as carved in stone just yet.

As of right now, I can only say with some degree of certainty that 2010 champ Bail Kings GAFcoast, 2011 runner-up Good As Gould and 5-time No Quitters veteran TD's N' Beer are playoff bound. That leaves five spots available for the remaining 10 teams that aren't completely out of the running with three weeks to go until Money Week.

What. Why do I suddenly have so many bye weeks? Didn't these guys already have their weeks off? :-(

Gonna be a tough one this week. But schedule eases up after that.

UberTag

What. Why do I suddenly have so many bye weeks? Didn't these guys already have their weeks off? :-(

Gonna be a tough one this week. But schedule eases up after that.
Biggest concern for you has to be the fact that Yeldon's in a walking boot and White didn't exactly impress this week.
I caught a lucky break facing rinker as my opponent this week with Freeman on bye.

minx

I am back. Unfortunately for my team I had season lows for multiple players and looking at a L this week. I don't like my team going forward after losing Edelman.

UberTag

Welcome back, minx. You were missed.

I got done in by Mason Crosby today... along with my decision to start Bennett against the Broncos instead of Gillmore against the Rams exposed D against my better judgment.
Should have trusted my instincts on that one.

minx

Rawls made it to the #6 team? Wow. If this league doesn't switch to FAAB next year I'm likely done with the league.

Rawls made it to the #6 team? Wow. If this league doesn't switch to FAAB next year I'm likely done with the league.

5 teams ignored him? That sucks. Yeesh I guess I will put my foot down on FAAB for next year too. Would have been nice to win a waiver pick this year.

UberTag

On the Rawls front, Cloudy nabbed him pre-waivers while Rawls was still in free agency after Lynch was declared inactive on Sunday and it was perceived to only be a one-game spot start as opposed to Lynch getting shelved for the year. No waiver system would have prevented that (FAAB or otherwise). It was simply a timely grab that paid dividends.

That said, I'm a big proponent of FAAB. The current format clearly isn't keeping the bottom-feeder owners engaged. Dinner Out has managed to land West, Williams and Allen as every down running backs when their starters went down due to having a poor win-loss record despite facing the fewest opposition points in the league. There's no reason that should happen in a 16-team format.

Can't see any reason why Cloudy would be opposed to the change either. The track record of this happening speaks for itself and it's a big contributor to why we've had teams with 1-4 records win the league championship in consecutive seasons. Frankly, I'd be happy to see Crazymoogle dominate all the way to the title by picking up wins over the next 5 weeks just to buck that trend. If he draws Dinner Out during Money Week and loses, I won't be a happy camper. And it's not even DO's fault really... he's simply making smart claims and managing his team.

On paper, flipping the waiver priority each week should keep people engaged all the way through so they feel they have a chance to come back but that's clearly not what's happening in practice despite the financial commitment at the start of the season.

minx

Exactly. It's clearly not preventing people from quitting. Meanwhile I am punished for a strong start resulting with bottom barrel claims. Now with late in the year injuries my team isn't looking so hot.

Bishman

I'm with you. My other money league has FAAB, and it adds a strategic element to picking up players. The current system is rewarding bad teams for sucking.

UberTag

Shocked to see crazymoogle's streak end at the hands of GCQuinton's 2-9 Ember Island Players. Given their respective records that'll make the case for one of the biggest upsets in league history. And it wasn't even a close win at that. Bail Kings was projected to win by over 35 points and wound up losing by over 37 points. That's a 72-point swing from the matchup projection.

I've managed to eke my way into 8th place heading into the final week of the regular season but I still don't like my chances all that much.

Shocked to see crazymoogle's streak end at the hands of GCQuinton's 2-9 Ember Island Players. Given their respective records that'll make the case for one of the biggest upsets in league history. And it wasn't even a close win at that. Bail Kings was projected to win by over 35 points and wound up losing by over 37 points. That's a 72-point swing from the matchup projection.

I don't even pay attention to projections (rankings are useful, I daresay Yahoo projections are not), but the bottom line is that the matchups killed me. Antonio Brown saw max coverage from Sherman leading to Wheaton's big game, and the Saints awful pass defense decided to throw everybody at DH. Even hoping on Brady didn't really help since they drew the Broncos. Pretty much just an awful week, compounded by the huge performances at the top of the EIP lineup. I mean, Cousins/Hilton/CJA/Moncrief outscored my entire team!

It would have been nice to clean sweep the regular season, I admit. But I felt like the writing was on the wall pretty early on Sunday.

GCQuinton

I don't even pay attention to projections (rankings are useful, I daresay Yahoo projections are not), but the bottom line is that the matchups killed me. Antonio Brown saw max coverage from Sherman leading to Wheaton's big game, and the Saints awful pass defense decided to throw everybody at DH. Even hoping on Brady didn't really help since they drew the Broncos. Pretty much just an awful week, compounded by the huge performances at the top of the EIP lineup. I mean, Cousins/Hilton/CJA/Moncrief outscored my entire team!

It would have been nice to clean sweep the regular season, I admit. But I felt like the writing was on the wall pretty early on Sunday.

The Ember Island Players are the "1" in 11-1!

But yeah, I wasn't expecting performances like that from so many people on my team, especially CJA. I've kept him because I practically didn't have any other choices, but he finally came through with a big game. Still, a huge positive from an overly negative season!

The Ember Island Players are the "1" in 11-1!

But yeah, I wasn't expecting performances like that from so many people on my team, especially CJA. I've kept him because I practically didn't have any other choices, but he finally came through with a big game. Still, a huge positive from an overly negative season!

That's right GCQ you're the Giants to my team haha ;)

I wish I had started CJA in the other league. Cost me the week. But the Broncos trying to run just seemed impossible.

UberTag

If the Packers would pick a RB and stick with them that would be great mmmk.
The Green Bay and Denver RB situations have got to be maddening for owners this year. Especially for people who own both halves of the committee.

Megatron only catching 3 balls tonight was probably the best case scenario for me.
Still not liking my chances but I at least have a shot at getting to Money Week so I can get slaughtered there instead.

Also, like that Foxhound is off to an early lead. His strategy of squatting on as many RB handcuffs as he can muster may well pay dividends in the fantasy playoffs.
He's got one defacto starter in David Johnson and I suspect he will soon have himself another.

UberTag

Looks like my season is done. Can't overcome Landry and Bennett having their worst games of the season on the same week Hurns is out with an injury. Considering that I expected to be done long before now after that rough early sched and losing Charles, I'm not losing sleep over my first failed cash in 5 years.

Best of luck to the rest of you.

Bishman

Thanks for the props with my strategy. I feel rookie RB is an overlooked aspect of fantasy and the new evolutionary step in fantasy going forward.

Bail Kings GAFcoast (12-1) vs. Redbull Express GAF (7-6)
TD's N' Beer (9-4) vs. Me Lucky Charms (7-6)
Foxhound (9-4) vs. Hookers and Blow (8-5)
Good As Gould (8-5) vs. SirGarbageMen (8-5)

UberTag

Looking forward to seeing the defending champ take on the 12-1 Bail Kings this weekend.
The other 6 teams are fighting it out to take their first No Quitters league title. Nice to see so much fresh blood in the playoff picture.
Money Week is always the most crucial week of the season so make sure you start the most competitive lineup you can muster.
Not sure whether Cloudy will freeze the rosters of everyone else. I've historically been a big advocate of it as this is not a dynasty/keeper format.

Incidentally, not only did I have a terrible draft and lose my starting RB this season but I made terrible calls the entire way. Traded away Brandin Cooks. Traded away Martavis Bryant. Both had monster weeks this week. Traded for Martellus Bennett and Matt Ryan who were complete garbage. Passed up on Barnidge. Dumped the Panthers D/ST. Dumped Thomas Rawls TWICE (despite the fact that he was clearly able to perform and Lynch was struggling; I smelt it too - owned FJax at one point this season). Dumped DeAngelo Williams literally right after I let go of Charles. Dumped Javorius Allen.

The fact that I wasn't dead long ago is a mystery to me. I did an abominable job of managing my team this year. No excuses.

minx

Not confident at all in my team. Rivers has scored 5 points twice in the last three weeks. Lacy or Starks? Tavon Austin and Matthews are inconsistent.

acksman

Bail Kings GAFcoast (12-1) vs. Redbull Express GAF (7-6)
TD's N' Beer (9-4) vs. Me Lucky Charms (7-6)
Foxhound (9-4) vs. Hookers and Blow (8-5)
Good As Gould (8-5) vs. SirGarbageMen (8-5)

I somehow squeaked in with the win this weekend. I am not looking forward to being demolished as Bail Kings has been a force this year.

minx

I catch up on my NFL news way to late. Dropping Edelman better not come back to bite me. He might be 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule.

So what's the payout for the top 4 teams?

If it's like last year, then 440 / 300 / 200 / 100

Wow. Just ran into a huge wall. The Saints are the worst defense I've seen including the CFL in the last twenty years. They just can't cover. Bortles-Robinson-Robinson was worth almost 70 points.

Tye + the Bengals D + McManus has to find a way to make up 30 points, can't say I'm optimistic, but I guess we'll see...

UberTag

Congrats to Bishman on pulling off the league championship win by closing out the season 5-0 and getting hot at just the right time. Always happy to see fresh blood break through and enjoy success. Who knew that the secret to fantasy success in 2015 would be stockpiling Jaguars and winning the backup RB lottery with David Johnson by shrewdly cornering the market on handcuffs. Really impressive.

Rough Week 16 performance for Crazymoogle's Bail Kings who fell short in both the No Quitters and SLAENT league championship games. Props on an otherwise amazing fantasy season. We could all learn a thing or two on competently drafting a competitive team from you.

Yeah a shame every high value QB had their worst weeks of the season :-/

I will take solace in second place money. Still room for a miracle tonight but I doubt it

Bishman

Thanks! My strategy was very successful and worked in the majority of my leagues. I was in 7 leagues. I made playoffs in 5/7 of my leagues. Then went to the finals in 4/5 of my playoff teams. Won the championship in 3/4 of the finals teams.

I drafted David Johnson, Allen Robinson, and Decker in all my leagues. The reason is that I am big on player talent and opportunity on the particular team. Ellington isn't an every down back and is very injury prone even in his college days with Clemson. David Johnson is a beast athletically (check his combine numbers) and an amazing college production.

My strategy is an anti-fragile approach and benefits from injuries to teams in the leagues or if players end up under performing based on their ADP.

P.S. Can someone PM link to SLAENT forum or the commish direct info please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom