• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time - Vol. 2 (March 2017) - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Litan

Well, there's the alternate opening where Elastigirl is "humiliated" for being a homemaker by a feminist career woman. Because that's what the movie thinks feminism is: sneering at moms contemptuously.

Outside of that, the movie is entirely about striking back at political correctness and bureaucracy, since heroes causing collateral damage and hurting people is the reason they were outlawed, and about the leads saving and becoming comfortable in their precious stereotypical nuclear family.

- https://www.thefword.org.uk/2005/01/the_incredibles/

- http://www.heroinecontent.net/archives/2010/09/the_incredibles.html

- http://feministdisney.tumblr.com/post/13083684970/the-incredibles-not-incredibly-feminist-friendly

These are a few articles by feminists that go into issues with the story better than I can. And yes, Edna Mode is great, but you can have a great character or great representation in a problematic movie.

When I was a kid, I thought Elastigirl was hot because she had a big butt (because the movie makes a point of that) which honestly doesn't help its case, but as an adult I realize the movie also makes a hard point to portray her as worrying about her sexiness in a skin-tight suit now that she's a MOOOOM. What if Bob wants to fuck Mirage and NOT MEEEEE. The weird thing is that I enjoy the movie, but it's got problems, and nobody seems to want to acknowledge that.

EDIT: You can reply in PM or wherever so the thread doesn't get derailed, if you like. Same for anyone else. This is just me responding since I was asked to clarify.
Damnit! Now I'll never be able to watch Incredibles the same way again. And I was planning to do a re-watch this week too.

Decado

Wait, is this over already? I thought it was going to last for like a month before closing.
Same here. No date posted. If you don't clearly include an end date ppl are going to assume it is ongoing.

Guess there is no need to put together a list.

1. The Winter Soldier
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Incredibles
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Spider-man 2
6. The Lego Batman Movie
7. Spider-Man
8. X Men: First Class
9. Mask of Phantasm
10. Iron Man 3

Bigfoot

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight
3. X-Men: Days Of Future Past
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. X-Men 2
6. Spiderman 2
7. X-Men: First Class
8. Iron Man
9. Batman
10. Deadpool

I think it's dumb that Lego Batman and Logan don't count.

Karu

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
4. Iron Man
5. X-Men: First Class
6. The Dark Knight Rises
7. Captain America: Civil War
8. Unbreakable
9. Spiderman 2
10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Bigfoot

Reloaded isn't The Matrix. And even in Reloaded, he's still not actually superpowered. He's just a dude. He doesn't develop any sort of extranormal powerset until Revolutions.

It's a sci-fi movie. It's not a superhero film.
I know Gotg is a comic movie but it seems more like sci-fi then superhero to me. It's got more in common with Star Wars then it does with most of the movies on everyone's list.

01. The Dark Knight
02. Spiderman 2
03. Unbreakable
04. Batman Begins
05. The Incredibles
06. TMNT (1990)
07. X-Men: Days of Future Past
08. X2
09. The Dark Knight Rises
10. Guardians of the Galaxy

DOFP was my biggest riser from two yrs ago and I've come around to now thinking it edges X2.

McAvoy's arc + the emotionally moving choice by GAF's favorite Mystique at the end gives it a slight edge over X2, which has the Jean Gray ending which still works beatifully.
In the end though I feel McAvoy more strongly start to finish than anything in X2.

DOFP does start clunky with the expository dialogue but the Blink action was cool coupled with the idea of the premise enough for me still to give the opening a passable grade.
Once Wolverine wakes up in 1973, it's great to the end
(outside of the meh scene with Mags on the train tracks).

X2 peaks with the Nightcrawler intro and mansion attack, plus the 3rd act always feels like it runs a little long.
Still a great movie (Bobby's coming out scene is still good).

Quicksilver sequence > Nightcrawler intro > Mansion attack

If Logan were eligible, I'd put it at no. 5, fantastic film.
A second viewing plus more time to sink in I could even see it end up higher than that next time we vote.

Guess there is no need to put together a list.

Why isn't there?

Put together a list!

I know Gotg is a comic movie but it seems more like sci-fi then superhero to me. It's got more in common with Star Wars then it does with most of the movies on everyone's list.

I absolutely agree. It's why I don't have it on my list - but I recognize there's basically no way a majority of the audience is going to recognize Guardians as not a superhero movie. Plus, it does spin directly off of a superhero universe, and is tied to the superheroes in that universe, and that's not even taking into account the studio that owns the property and is making the movie is a studio that exists only because of superheroes. So while I don't see anything in it that actually marks it or its protagonists as "superheroes" it would be pretty hard keeping it out of the discussion.

Bloomers

Edited for a rough top 10:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Spiderman 2
3. Spiderman
4. Batman Begins
5. The Incredibles
6. Deadpool
9. Iron Man
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
9. X-Men Days of Future Past
10. The Avengers

Gotg was pulled bc it's *technically* not a superhero film. Also, Logan will fly into the top 5 on next year's poll.

JDHarbs

1. The Dark Knight ; The GOAT
2. The Incredibles ; Greatest 3D animated flick
3. The Avengers ; Greatest team-up flick
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm ; Greatest 2D animated flick
5. Unbreakable ; Greatest flick about superheroes
6. Deadpool ; Greatest comedy flick
7. Batman Begins
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man
10. Spiderman 2

Honorable Mentions:
x. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
x. Captain America: Civil War
x. Watchmen
x. X2: X-Men United
x. Superman: The Movie

Obligatory shout out to the best Superman movie
1390583696-iron-giant-superman-1024x500.png

and the best superhero shorts
tumblr_mibs9jXhDW1s4rha3o3_250.gif

1. Spiderman 2
2. The Dark Knight
3. X2
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman mask of the phantasm (going through the animated series and this again really propelled it up the list)
6. Spiderman
7. Unbreakable
8. Incredibles
9. Days of Future Past
10. Batman bin Suparman: dawn of justice

Last place was a toss up between that, Deadpool and iron man and a couple others. Tbh I don't even care that much after spot number 9. When Logan is eligible everything after 2nd place gets bumped down one for sure.

1. Batman Mask of the Phantasm
2. Deadpool
3. Batman Begins
4. The Avengers
5. Spider-Man 2
6. X2
7. The Dark Knight
8. Captain America Winter Soldier
9. X-Men Days of Future Past
10. Iron Man

Logan will probably enter under Avengers next year. I can't not have Dark Knight on the list cause I'm well aware of its quality, but it never feels like a comic book movie when I watch it, which is both a positive and a negative. Making this list it really hit me that the X-Men movies can hit really hard or miss really hard. And only three MCU films is a relief on here.

My exact top 5/10 fluctuate every now and again, so currently I'd say:

1. Watchmen
2. The Dark Knight
3. X-Men 2
4. Batman Begins
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past

inky

And GAF is suddenly tired of making lists for some reason... weird. Is it the "superhero fatigue" finally setting in after 2 decades (lol) or just "superhero lists fatigue" after certain events remind us how shitty real life can be...

In any case, looking forward to the final tally.

If you're really struggling for lists I'll throw a hasty fave five in off the top of my head, the bonus here is my relative lack of knowledge before the comic movie boom really happened so here's a snapshot of my unknowing self.

1. The Incredibles
It's just so dang fun, it really nails that interesting dynamic of your standard family that are also pretty super.

2. The Dark Knight
My backstory for this movie is going in genuinely with the mindset that 60's Adam West Batman was how Batman was supposed to be, yep, I hadn't seen Begins either, I'd basically only gone because one of my friends didn't have anyone else to go with at the time

The phrase "on the edge of your seat" is a classic cliche but I'n all seriousness my butt was getting perilously close to the threaded precipice towards the endgame, this wasn't just a film I enjoyed the heck out of, it was when I finally realised "oooooh, the campy show my dad always insisted to me was the real deal was in fact the outlier". I should've known better than to trust a man who almost unconditionally hates everything after the sixties.

3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
I was very surprised by the First Avenger, as a Brit I expected patriotic shield man to be aggressively bland. Instead I got this lovably earnest string bean who lives the dream all short skinny chumps like me aspire for, getting a dosage of fix all super serum.
Still Cap lacked some oomph in his fight scenes, that was before Winter Soldier delivered on showing what a Super Soldier should be pulling off in combat, it seems a lot of the best marvel movies are the ones that can sneak in pulling off being a different genre of movie with superheroes in tow.

4. X2
I'm struggling to actually recall why I dig this one, maybe it's because I've watched so many X-Men related films now and this still trumps them to me, DoFP comes close (I've always been a Beast mark so he's immediate bonus points) but when it comes down to it I get more of a Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan fix over here.

5. Iron Man
A film that can be almost entirely carried by how much its lead fits the part, I actually saw 2 first ( my first MCU movie even) and thought it was the drizzling shits so I put off the origin story until 3 was about to come out, turns out I should've gone back sooner.
Still don't like 2 at all though

An inherent problem I've sound with most superhero movies especially as of late is that I enjoy them a lot on the first run but they lack punch on the second, the above are ones that survived the rewatch.
If I were to throw in five more on a whim...
Batman Begins, Guardians of the Galaxy, Deadpool, Big Hero Six (heavily for Baymax, whatta guy!) and The Avengers (for sheer scope)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
1) Dark Knight
W7mvbuz.gif

2) Unbreakable
2eSDNe4.gif

3) Dark Knight Returns: Part 2
tumblr_mh9j9rQhn41r0uwm4o1_r1_400.gif

4) Watchmen
MuSNv5d.gif

5) Ninja Turtles 2: Secret of the Ooze
ptTGDg5.gif

6) Captain America: First Avenger
ULKbsUU.gif

7) Batman (1989)
giphy.gif

8) Orgazmo
FTqtF5K.jpg

9) Dark Knight Returns: Part 1
Bt76F55.gif

10) Incredibles
giphy.gif

If they counted, Logan and Robocop 1/2 would be my top 3 haha

Penguin

Honestly don't think my Top 10 changed at all, maybe order

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
  2. The Incredibles
  3. Batman Returns
  4. The Dark Knight
  5. Spider-man 2
  6. Superman II
  7. X-2: X-Men United
  8. Batman Begins
  9. The Avengers
  10. X-men First Class

inm8num2

Closed. No new entries or edits to existing lists after the timestamp on this post.

Results will be posted sometime during this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom