• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Mafia |OT8| Who wants to talk about Murders?

What shall El Topo's avatar be?

Results are only viewable after voting.

roytheone

Don't believe his lies.

The thread will be up tonight.

What lies? That is the thread for batman mafia and it is up, i see no lies there.

Hell, your game isn't even called batman mafia but arkham asylum mafia, not my fault that your players can't even remember the name of the game they are in!

Fat4all

Banned
What lies? That is the thread for batman mafia and it is up, i see no lies there.

Hell, your game isn't even called batman mafia but arkham asylum mafia, not my fault that your players can't even remember the name of the game they are in!

VOTE: roytheone

*Splinter

Tbh the only reason I checked the player list is because I wasn't 100% sure which game I'm in.

*Splinter

do people role-play as their actual character?

Yeah, I also have this question. I've not read through a cosplay thread yet so I wasn't sure how to handle this exactly. Though I assume dirty scum lie about their characters.
It's entirely optional. You can roleplay as your character, as an unrelated character, as an out-of-flavour character, or (as most people do) not even roleplay at all.

The theme is mostly just for flavour, although you might see it influence role claims a bit (eg. "I am Batman, the cop!" "Well that seems to fit, guess you are telling the truth").

It's entirely optional. You can roleplay as your character, as an unrelated character, as an out-of-flavour character, or (as most people do) not even roleplay at all.

The theme is mostly just for flavour, although you might see it influence role claims a bit (eg. "I am Batman, the cop!" "Well that seems to fit, guess you are telling the truth").

Or "I am Lana Skye, I'm the cop," "Well the backup cop was Ema Skye, so that fits."

rac

Banned

batman aint a cop though
:)

roytheone

batman aint a cop though

Powers and characters don't necessarily have to match. You could make a game where batman is a serial killer for example. Doesn't match the character at all, but that doesn't really matter, you almost always can find a dumb/great way to explain it :)

Fireblend

Banned
In a game with Sorian again. And it's Batman themed.

thinking-face.png

rac

Banned
Powers and characters don't necessarily have to match. You could make a game where batman is a serial killer for example. Doesn't match the character at all, but that doesn't really matter, you almost always can find a dumb/great way to explain it :)

yeah, guess it would be pretty pointless if everything matched 1:1

but serial killer would fit dceu batman pretty well :)

RetroMG

do people role-play as their actual character?

Yeah, I also have this question. I've not read through a cosplay thread yet so I wasn't sure how to handle this exactly. Though I assume dirty scum lie about their characters.

Most people don't roleplay, but a few people do. Those people, however, don't usually roleplay based on the roles they were given for the game. If you read Welcome to Night Vale, (Season 4) ScraftyDevil spent the entire game roleplaying as a Dumb Valley Girl from California, when she was really Carlos, the Scientist. (The cop for the game)

The big thing is, whether you are town or scum, you want to keep your role private until the right moment. Don't just give away information when keeping it private might gain you an advantage.

Updated Replacement List:

01. [m] Penguin - EST - Batman only
02. [m] Flame_AC
03. [m] Blargonaut - GMT
04. [m] Lone_Prodigy - PST
05. [m] Kawl_USC - CST - Anime only
06. [m] CCS - GMT+1
07. [m] Bronx-Man - EST

Just a note: Season 7 had 12 replacements and all of them got to play. So, keep your engines ready, hidden super talented genius quarterbacks, subs.

Updated Replacement List:

01. [m] Flame_AC
02. [m] Blargonaut - GMT
03. [m] Lone_Prodigy - PST
04. [m] Kawl_USC - CST - Anime only
05. [m] CCS - GMT+1
06. [m] Bronx-Man - EST

Just a note: Season 7 had 12 replacements and all of them got to play. So, keep your engines ready, hidden super talented genius quarterbacks, subs.

And we still had mod chat panics when we couldn't find enough.

squidyj

ALSO

if you hadn't noticed, palmer is back to play with us

celebrate it. palmer baratheon and ultron the true king! both have returned!

CELEBRATE IT OR I WILL EAT U IN YOUR SLEEP

i might eat you anyway. im a spoder.

Oh I'm celebrating alright, celebrating the opportunity to lynch him on day 1

squidyj

a. does your character potentially reveal your role or that you have no role?
b. does roleplaying your character get in the way of being clearly understood?

Ty4on

Cosplay basically just means every player has a unique role name (like in Overwatch it was all the characters), but it doesn't necessarily change the game. You even have cosplay with a bunch of regular town (no powers) that all have unique names, but the same role mechanically.

When it comes to scum they either don't need to lie (like Overwatch where there are no obvious bad guys) or they get role names that haven't been used to use as cover.

Fluff is something a lot of new players get confused by. Mechanically it isn't really a part of the game, but rather a story that the cold mechanics are wrapped around. Especially true in the day start posts where there's a big story around what is essentially just "Player X has died, this is their role PM". The area where it can matter is in players' roles where you can judge if the claimed role and fluff actually fits.
Be aware that quoting the PM is never allowed so if you claim only paraphrase the fluff in the role PM.

RetroMG

Fluff is something a lot of new players get confused by. Mechanically it isn't really a part of the game, but rather a story that the cold mechanics are wrapped around. Especially true in the day start posts where there's a big story around what is essentially just "Player X has died, this is their role PM". The area where it can matter is in players' roles where you can judge if the claimed role and fluff actually fits.
Be aware that quoting the PM is never allowed so if you claim only paraphrase the fluff in the role PM.

This is definitely a good thing to keep in mind - Flavor or "fluff" is something the moderators add to the game to make it more exciting. But if Burbeting died by being shot by a crossbow, you shouldn't go looking for who mentioned a crossbow in the previous day's discussion. It's just part of the story we tell to add some spice to the game.
Likewise, in a cosplay game, you might expect certain roles to be powerful. So, for example, in Sorian's Ace Attorney game, Miles Edgeworth was an ordinary town player with no powers. The mods will sometimes meet your expectations, but just as often, we'll play off your expectations to confuse you.
My point is - pay attention to what people are saying and how they are acting. The flavor is neat, but it won't win you the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Obvious Bad Guys:
Hanzo pickers
Reaper player names
Mercy with Q
Torbjorn POTG
Charging Reinhardt
Symmetra on Defense
Mei

Sorian

Banned
This is definitely a good thing to keep in mind - Flavor or "fluff" is something the moderators add to the game to make it more exciting. But if Burbeting died by being shot by a crossbow, you shouldn't go looking for who mentioned a crossbow in the previous day's discussion. It's just part of the story we tell to add some spice to the game.
Likewise, in a cosplay game, you might expect certain roles to be powerful. So, for example, in Sorian's Ace Attorney game, Miles Edgeworth was an ordinary town player with no powers. The mods will sometimes meet your expectations, but just as often, we'll play off your expectations to confuse you.
My point is - pay attention to what people are saying and how they are acting. The flavor is neat, but it won't win you the game.

Never trust flavor if you play in my games, I will do everything possible to screw expectations.

I need to write a new game, I have an excellent role I want to see in action (which means it'll get lynched day 1) someone give me a theme.

Top Bottom