• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Movies of the Year 2016 Voting Thread - Voting Ends 2/26/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudWolf

It was a great year for film, so I have a lot of honorable mentions.

Top 10:
1. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
2. La La Land
3. The Nice Guys
4. Nocturnal Animals
5. The Red Turtle
6. Moonlight
7. The Witch
8. Captain Fantastic
9. I, Daniel Blake
10. Kubo and the Two Strings

Honorable mentions:
- Deadpool
- Arrival
- Hail Ceasar!
- Hell or Highwater
- Ma Vie de Courgette
- Rogue One
- The Lobster

Films I haven't seen yet and would probably end up in the list if I had:
- Your Name
- Toni Erdmann
- Green Room
- Manchester by the Sea
- Elle

Divius

1. Arrival
2. Zootopia

And that's it for me this year. Saw a bunch of others (rogue one, hell or high water, etc, etc) but nothing deserves points.
Rules indicate you must list a minimum of 3 or it won't count, so now nothing gets points!

AnkitT

1. High Rise
2. The Handmaiden
3. Knight of Cups
4. The Witch
5. Keanu
6. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
7. Green Room
8. Imperium
9. Hail, Caeser!
10. Triple 9

daydream

Banned
by far not done but what can ya do. rather give some good films a couple points than none

1. paterson
2. la la land
3. the lobster
4. neon demon
5. edge of seventeen
6. american honey

rest i don't feel good enough about

edit: lobster is a 2015 film for me but what the heck, might as well add it

Still a ton of movies I haven't had a chance to see (3/4 of BP noms) but I think this was a pretty good year regardless.

Top 10 Best:
1. Everybody Wants Some!!
2. Arrival
3. La La Land
4. The Lobster
5. Sing Street
6. Don't Breathe
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
8. One More Time With Feeling
9. Deadpool
10. Star Trek: Beyond

Top 5 Worst:
1. Ben-Hur
2. Finding Dory
3. Alice: Through the Looking Glass
4. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
5. Kung Fu Panda 3

Stuff that would've had a chance of cracking the top 10:
- Edge of Seventeen
- Manchester By the Sea
- Moonlight
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Paterson
- The Handmaiden
- Captain Fantastic
- Nocturnal Animals
- The Neon Demon

WoodWERD

Bored and taking a crack. There's still a lot I need to see:

1. The Lobster
2. Lion
3. The Witch
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. Everybody Wants Some
6. Manchester by the Sea
7. Deadpool
8. Rogue One
9. Train to Busan
10. Green Room

Theecliff

Banned
hell or high water literally comes out in the uk the day after this deadline closes :( i still haven't seen moonlight OR arrival and handmaiden won't be out here for another few months too.

will come back and make my list later. i haven't seen a huge amount of films that are specifically from 2016 this past year and i'm not even sure that 10 from those that i have deserve to be in a list calling them best of the year.

edit: on revision that's not what i wanted to actually say and makes me seem super cynical, lol. there were definitely a few films that i saw that deserve to be in the top film lists, but most of what i saw - even if i enjoyed - i'm not quite sure i would say were the best of 2016, at least for me personally. basically, i'm not sure that 10 from those that i have seen in 2016 all deserve to be in a list calling them best of the year, but a select few definitely do. i think i might just do a top 5 and then do honourable mentions instead.

GunBR

1. Your Name
2. Nocturnal Animals
3. Arrival
4. Elle
5. Captain America: Civil War
6. Fences
7. Moana
8. Manchester by the Sea
9. The Salesman
10. Sing Street

Honorable Mention:

The Lobster. It would be 9th or 10th on my list, but I don't think it should count as a 2016 movie (it was released in october 2015 in Europe)

Litan

hell or high water literally comes out in the uk the day after this deadline closes :( i still haven't seen moonlight and handmaiden won't be out here for another few months too.

will come back and make my list later. i haven't seen a huge amount of films that are specifically from 2016 this past year and i'm not even sure that 10 from those that i have deserve to be in a list calling them best of the year.
Nvm

Courage

1. Cemetery of Splendor
2. The Witch
3. Moonlight
4. Elle
5. The Lobster
6. Green Room
7. The Wailing
8. The Nice Guys
9. Deadpool
10. Everybody Wants Some!!

Jeff6851

1. La La Land
2. Zootopia
3. Sing Street
4. The Jungle Book
5. Deadpool
6. Kubo and the Two Strings
7. The Witch
8. The Conjuring 2
9. Hidden Figures
10. Ghostbusters

Left my job at a movie theater in March so I didn't get to see a bunch of movies like I had been for years. :/

mr stroke

missed a ton of stuff this year :(

1. Arrival
2. Loving
3. Sausage Party
4. Manchester by the Sea
5. Zootopia
6. OJ Made in America
7. La La Land
8. Green Room
9. Deadpool
10. Hell or High Water

still haven't seen- Moonlight, Patterson, Tower, The Handmaiden, or Fences

Kazaam

Less than 7 hours to go!!!

1. Arrival
2. Zootopia

And that's it for me this year. Saw a bunch of others (rogue one, hell or high water, etc, etc) but nothing deserves points.

As Divius mentioned, you must list a minimum of 3 films for the list to count so try to add one more film to your list!

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
3. Zootopia
4. Moana
5. Deadpool
6. Star Trek Beyond
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
8. Arrival
9. Doctor Strange
10. The Jungle Book

Movies that came out this year in my area: Room, Creed, The Revenant.

mu cephei

All excellent and in somewhat uncertain order:

1. Manchester by the Sea
2. I, Daniel Blake
3. Hell or High Water
4. Moonlight

Very enjoyable and also in uncertain order:

5. Everybody Wants Some!!
6. Hail, Caesar!
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
8. Kubo and the Two Strings

For release date I've gone entirely by that given on Letterboxd.

Films I haven't seen yet but plan to and might have been in my top 5: Nocturnal Animals, Paterson, Fences, American Honey, Moana, Loving, Lion, Embrace of the Serpent, Certain Women, The Lobster, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Captain Fantastic, Silence, The Nice Guys, Hacksaw Ridge, The Handmaiden... i.e. a whole lot.

1. The Witch
2. The Lobster
3. The Nice Guys
4. Nocturnal Animals
5. Shin Godzilla

Haven't yet seen the Wailing, Elle, Moonlight, Hell or High Water, the Handmaiden, and presumably a lot of other notable examples. :(

Martian

1. Arrival
2. Nocturnal Animals
3. The Nice Guys
4. Deadpool
5. Zero Days
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane
7. The Infiltrator
8. War Dogs
9. Fantastic Beasts
10. The Accountant

Budi

1. Silence - I'm probably biased towards this, my most anticipated movie in a while. And it was just as good as I hoped. There has been criticism of the movie dragging and being too long. But because of my bias, it wasn't long enough! Can't get enough of Scorsese.
2. Captain Fantastic - For some reason this film really resonated with me and I'm not even a parent. And my lifestyle is far from what Viggo's character teached.
3. Arrival - While I'm not sure about the conclusion of the film, I loved every second of it until then.
4. La La Land - Not a fan of musicals, but this was gorgeous and entertaining.
5. Hacksaw Ridge
6. Moonlight
7. Nocturnal Animals
8. Nice Guys
9. Manchester by the sea
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane

Honorable mentions: Paterson, Midnight Special and Queen of Katwe.

2016 was a tough year to pick just ten. So many great genre flicks!

Looks like funeral lights.
tumblr_o9pagvHPIN1qa3emao4_540.gif

1. Cemetery Of Splendor
Apichatpong Weerasethakul does it again, with yet another meditative exercise in gentle dreamlike surrealism. A school is turned into a makeshift hospital after soldiers have suddenly started sleeping, and this is where the mainstay of Apichatpong's films, Jenjira Pongpas, shows up as a disabled character who is a volunteer to help them. Coloured lights are placed at their beds, thought to help them awake. When a couple of soldiers do awake in Jen's presence, she wonders what it all means and whether she's been dreaming all this time, to which the psychic says to just open her eyes very wide to check. Jen is an interesting character, disabled but not letting that get to her, acts vulgar like in her talks about sex, and dismissing that she's old which gives her character more energy than the other much younger characters. It's perplexing at times, with certain shots like a chicken walking by with its children, a scene of magical chairs using tree stumps, or walking through the forest while a psychic friend embodies a sleeping soldier walking through an invisible palace. What does the government digging up the ground mean? Is the school actually built on top of a cemetery where dead kings suck the souls of the soldiers to fight in their unending battle and that's why the soldiers sleep? The first and last shot being complimentary adds weight to the funereal tone.

Apichatpong is really good at bringing the supernatural down to earth in these modern fairytales but the moral of the fables isn't as crystal clear. His dreamlike narrative is helped immensely by the arresting cinematography (DP Diego Garcia), especially exemplified in this wordless ~7min coloured lights scene which is one of the most mesmerising I've seen in a film from last year. This is slow cinema to a T, but that doesn't stop there being humour at points like Jen's realisation that she's in the presence of dead royal princesses. More people should watch this unique Thai filmmaker's work.

Who is you?
moonlight_by_digi_matrix-dalzcyd.jpg

2. Moonlight
By far, the best coming-of-age film in years and there have been some great ones. What is most refreshing for an already critically acclaimed film is how intimate and silent it is. Despite the various characters, it's ultimately about an evolving friendship/first love over decades. Not all of the threads or characters get resolved at the end, but that's life sometimes and the relationship between Chiron and Kevin is fully enthralling.

The most interesting aspect of the film is the evolution and duality of Chiron and Kevin. Due to the environment, both characters flip on each other as they become adults. Chiron is the quiet introvert who bottles it all ("I cry so much, sometimes I feel I'm gonna turn into drops"), while Kevin is the lovable macho extrovert. After a decade, Chiron hardens up to be a typical macho gangster with grill, do-rag and all while Kevin is the quieter innocent man with a family life. Possibly, Chiron is trying to protect himself and in so, puts up a facade of masculinity to stop further homophobic abuse. It can either be seen as a tragic change or him emulating his father figure (Mahershala Ali). Either way it's a reaction to what he's been through. Due to its examination and indictment of toxic masculinity, reminded me in ways of Hide Your Smiling Faces. This shift in character is not only bewildering to the audience but also to Kevin ("That fronts, that car, who is you, Chiron?"). When he reverts to his softer side even down to how he simply lies on his bed, it's incredibly satisfying.

It's all about the little details. Has some of the best cinematography (James Laxton) of the year, not just in artistic direction or framing, but also in camera movement such as a car door shot, a rotating shot of Chiron's head hitting the bed, or a following shot for the three different stages of life. The awe-inspiring atmosphere is delivered by the quieter shots with usually Chiron against a background such as the recurring visual motif of water. The score (Nicholas Britell) is achingly beautiful too. The chapter titles preceded by fade-outs and various coloured lights could be symbolising the changes in the character. Some of the best performances of the year also, from Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris, to the teen and adult actors for Chiron (Ashton Sanders and Trevante Rhodes) and Andre Holland (The Knick) as the adult Kevin. Also, cool to see Janelle Monae acting. I wouldn't be surprised if the actors get snubbed at the Oscars though, as the Academy seems to care more about the screentime of an actor instead of just the sheer quality conveyed in just a few minutes.

There is one moment where I was reduced to tears, and I suspect it'll be the same one for others when Chiron and his mom finally reconvene after many years when the tables of power have turned as she's no longer the shouting junkie ("You ain't gotta love me but you're gonna know I love you").

6-arrival.jpg

3. Arrival
Best science fiction film in more than a decade, right along with The Fountain, Solaris, and Contact. Works as a good antidote to the likes of Independence Day. It's not all self-serious; the process of learning the alien language is fun, the military/scientist conflict is thrilling, and there is good chemistry between Amy Adams' and Jeremy Renner's characters. There is even what seems like a nod to the final shot of Dennis Villenue's previous Enemy in the form of a dream. A strong emotional power bubbles underneath this tale about communication, empathy, and fate that only comes once in a while in this genre. Max Richter's "On The Nature Of Daylight" is still stuck in my head. Foregoing cliches in the genre by being a talkie rather than an action thriller allows for more arresting moments and visual poetry than recent Malick films.

Under%20the%20Shadow.jpg

4. Under The Shadow
I had a choice to pick between The Witch or Under The Shadow for the best horror film of last year. Both are great, but just because of the deeper political allegory about the Iranian/Iraqi conflict pared down to a haunted house nightmare for a missing doll and more effective thrill ride, I have to give it up to Babak Anvari's debut feature film. Narges Rashidi deserves to be commended for such a tough role as a mother and wife who has reality slipping past her fingers. An hour of Polanski-esque domestic paranoia and dread is book-ended by the relentless last half-hour that is just hair-raising to the very last frame.

Pretty majestical.
hunt_for_the_wilderpeople_image_3_by_digi_matrix-dai9t0q.jpg

5. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Granted, there isn't much competition this year aside from Everybody Wants Some!! and Wiener-Dog, but the same team behind What We Do In The Shadows (dir. Taika Waititi, who has a great scene about Jesus and doors) deliver once again the best comedy of the year. The development of the relationship between Sam Neill's and Julian Dennison's characters felt natural and is realised how similar they are as loners. Surprisingly, exceptional cinematography (Lachlan Milne) clearly afforded by a bigger budget and helped by the New Zealand forests and mountains (yes, there is a Lord of the Rings reference). There are a couple of cool pan shots, the latter of which gets funnier when it goes 360 to show off the ridiculous manhunt team. Not surprisingly, WETA helped out on the "Terminator Pig". The whole cast is fantastic, particularly Rachel House as the child welfare worker ("no child left behind") punching way above her weight to tower even over the police. One of my favourite lines from her character is when she's berating Ricky ("You're more like Sarah Connor in the first movie before she could do chin-ups"). Absolutely hilarious and heartfelt throughout. Fantastic visual humour and witty dialogue, reminded me of Edgar Wright's films. More people should go see this.

Where I come from, it's illegal to be naive.
11-1.gif

6. The Handmaiden
Park Chan-wook pulls out all the thematic, seductive, and twisting stops in his best film since Sympathy For Mr Vengeance. Much like Nolan's The Prestige, it keeps the audience on its toes in this Rashomon-ish story of greed, betrayal, and love. Top-to-bottom, as a film it's just stunning from production design, sets, iconography, cinematography, editing, music, and directing. The Handmaiden and Neon Demon just have the most dazzling visuals in a film from last year, and would make stylish conniving bedfellows. The relationships between the characters is more complex and goes further than just an erotic lesbian affair as those intimate moments have more dialogue and character-building than just titillation to lean more towards female empowerment (probably thanks to the help of a female writer and seeking advice from a queer woman at every stage). Highly recommended especially if you've been waiting ages for a lesbian caper since Wachowski's Bound.

4-reasons-why-you-should-watch-your-name-1163100.jpg

7. Your Name
You know when you have a dream so real, you want to take a picture to remind yourself it happened for real but then you wake up? Your Name does a great job capturing that intense desire to make dreams tangible, with the writing and remembering of names. Was a definite emotional rollercoaster with the three climaxes, had me flipping between hoping and fearing. Wonderful visual motif of the ribbons as symbolic of time. This timeline-dividing, body-swap romantic drama set against the clock of an impending earthquake plucked on my heartstrings, pining for young love. Makoto Shinkai's most life-affirming film to date, and a visual pleasure to watch.

Who wants sour milk when you can have fresh meat?
6503.jpg

8. Neon Demon
Nicolas Winding Refn stares at the abyss of the fashion world in this seductive and cut-throat modern Grimm fairytale horror. It's not exactly new subject material, from The Red Shoes, Suspiria, Perfect Blue, to Black Swan covering this from various angles about jealousy and obsession on appearances but it's never been as satirically artificial and grotesque as here. No one talks normally, which adds to the fantasy vibe. Everyone seems like an animal out to get something. Thanks to Natasha Braier and Cliff Martinez, possibly the best and very Argento-esque cinematography/lighting/music in a film I've seen from last year that delivers an intoxicating experience, and a much more enjoyable watch than the previous Only God Forgives. Half of the film's enjoyment for me was the score. Personally, this is the best Cliff Martinez score (my favourite composer right now) I've heard which mixes the thumping synths of this dark world with the glittery presence of the princess-like Jessie (Elle Fanning).

Most of the film is shot in the dark to give an otherworldly atmosphere (helped by the visual motifs of the moon, mirrors, blood, and triangles) where a photo shoot looks like an ancient ritual, contrasted with the sickeningly bright and picturesque LA daylight. One shot even reminded me of Zulawski's most famous scene in Possession. Appreciated the narrative twist where the film goes against your expectations considering of what Jessie has become from innocent deer to cold big cat yet she's not as in command, and has the balls to continue for a dozen minutes after such a climatic sequence. Memorable from the very first frame to the last, this is one of my favourite films of the year, which I didn't expect from such a critically divided reception.

embrace_of_the_serpent_karamakate_2_by_digi_matrix-da7vjuu.jpg

9. Embrace of the Serpent
A haunting exploration about the last grips of a dying culture as Christian colonialism takes hold, set between two time periods as an Amazonian tribesman ages. The main quest is to find psychedelic plants while also archiving the history of these tribes. Karamakate (Nilbio Torres/Antonio Bolivar) is brilliant, going from stubborn isolated warrior who still cares about his culture and beliefs while everyone else westernises to someone who's forgotten and given up. There is a great uneasy tension between the white travellers and Karamakate, rightly so, as he doesn't know that if he trusts them with imparting knowledge about the plants then what if they betray and destroy the land like they did before. There is foreshadowing much like White Ribbon to a terrible future, in this case the rise of the Colombian cocaine industry. Cinematography (DP David Gallego) is stunning, from the vistas to the wide shots and a trippy 2001-ish colour climax sequence. Just a fascinating film, and one of my favourites from last year.

It's in my memories. The most powerful magic there is.
kubo-and-the-two-strings-origami.jpg

10. Kubo and the Two Strings
I shouldn't have been surprised that this would turn out to be a more personal affair because this is Laika and they're great at bringing the fantastical from tragedy but rooting it all in sadness. With Coraline and Paranorman, they felt more grounded in that they were smaller settings but here there is a hero's epic journey, so I was expecting just a competent action adventure with Japanese mythology. The cinematography and sights are gorgeous, the side characters are worth rooting for, the visual humor and music is excellent, and the action is more engaging and better choreographed than many action films this year.

However, I was not expecting a more meta-textual and familial tale about storytelling and having loved ones live on in your memories past their living presence. A central motif is lanterns being lit and made to flow in the river as memorials to passed relatives. The film is essentially grieving therapy, which might not seem the most kid-friendly especially for an animated film "for kids" but it's also the kind that was dearly beloved in the 80s and feels more important than other animated escapist fare.

Was holding back tears at the end. Fantastic end credits sequence. Parents will most likely lose it.

overcast

2016 was a fantastic year for movies. As usual I feel like film give us a ridiculius amount of quality in a single year. I would watch every single one of these multiple times I feel. Goes without saying but what an awful year for blockbusters. Zero made my list. I don't have time to write thoughts which I feel bad about. Maybe I'll update it.

1. Manchester By The Sea
2. Handmaiden
3. The Witch
4. Arrival
5. Everybody Wants Some!!
6. 20th Century Women
7. Moonlight
8. Edge of Seventeen
9. La La Land
10. The Lobster
11. The Nice Guys
12. Paterson
13. Kubo and the Two Strings
14. A Monster Calls
15. Sing Street
16. Green Room
17. Silence
18. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
19. Hell or high water
20. Train to Busan

Movies that just missed the cut:
-The Mermaid
-Zootopia
-Moana
-Hacksaw Ridge

Biggest personal disappointments:
-Nocturnal Animals
-Batman Vs Superman
-Rogue One

FUCK THESE MOVIES:
-Suicide Squad
-Sausage Party

2017 now.

Nameless

1. The VVitch
2. The Handmaiden
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Arrival
5. Green Room
6. Moonlight
7. Elle
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
9. Hell or High Water
10. Childhood of a Leader

My top ten of the year.

La-La Land
O.J. Made In America
Zootopia
Hell Or High Water
Civil War
Fences
Arrival
Manchester By The Sea
Silence
The Red Turtle

Just finished Florence Foster Jenkins today, and with seeing 46 out of the 62 movies nominated, I think I can finally do my top 10.

1. La La Land
2. OJ: Made In America
3. Lion
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Hidden Figures
6. I Am Not Your Negro
7. The Handmaiden
8. Moana
9. A Man Called Ove
10. Moonlight

This was an exceptional year for movies.

1. The Witch
2. Moonlight
3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
4. Manchester by the Sea
5. OJ Simpson: Made in America
6. Hell or High Water
7. Arrival
8. The Handmaiden
9. The Edge of Seventeen
10. Elle

The rest I feel like mentioning:
11. La La Land
12. Captain America: Civil War
13. The Wailing
14. The Nice Guys
15. Kubo and the Two Strings
16. Green Room
17. 13th
18. Silence
19. The Invitation
20. The Lobster
21. Captain Fantastic
22. Jackie
23. Everybody Wants Some!!
24. Weiner
25. The Love Witch
26. Sing Street

Never got around to seeing.
Fences
Red Turtle
Under the Shadow
Embrace of the Serpent
Nocturnal Animals
Hail Caesar
Paterson
Shin Godzilla
Toni Erdmann
Loving
A Monster Calls
Your Name
Indignation
Moana
I am Not your Negro
Hacksaw Ridge
Hidden Figures
Midnight Special
20th Century Women
Certain Women

Just caught the naked party today in time for this, so here's my top 10 of the year:

1. Elle

2. The Handmaiden

3. Moonlight

4. Toni Erdmann

5. Manchester by the Sea

6. Embrace of the Serpent

7. Paterson

8. American Honey

9. The Neon Demon

10. The Lobster

Honorable Mentions:

11. The Red Turtle
12. La La Land
13. Jackie
14. 20th Century Women
15. The Witch
16. Things to Come
17. The Edge of Seventeen
18. Indignation
19. Silence
20. Loving

Kazaam

20 minutes left until the voting closes. If you have to do any last edits or post any quick lists now is the time to do it!

Theecliff

Banned
1. La La Land
i understand, and accept many of the criticisms circulating around this film leading up to the oscars. i don't believe that it deserves all the nominations it's got. in particular, emma stone and ryan gosling were damned solid but neither are deserving of trophies tonight. and honestly when i put la la land beside chazelle's previous film, whiplash, i'd have to go with the latter. despite all that, when i think of the fifteen or so films that i've seen from 2016, this is the one seems to stick out the most. i enjoyed every single minute of this film and left the screen with a big stupid grin plastered on my face. if whiplash's coldness reflects the hardships and tumultuous aspect of music, la la land's smoothness and bombastic nature reflects a celebration. whereas whiplash felt more realist, la la land feels more expressionistic and artistic, not afraid to take it's character's into more surreal and imagined spaces. it may have a slightly problematic reverence for nostalgia but there's absolutely no denying the artistry behind this film and the joy that emanates from it.

2. Jackie
through the framing device of an interview, jackie is a biopic that explores the moments surrounding jfk's assassination and subsequent funeral through the lens of the grieving former first lady of the united states. the whole film is grounded by a superb performance by natalie portman (whom absolutely deserves the oscar over emma stone), cut through by an incredible, dissonant soundtrack, and edited very deliberately to ensure that warm, celebratory scenes on the surface are imbued with an inescapable sense of tragedy. as someone who often feels quite wary of historical biopics i was fairly blown away by how good jackie was, and i'm surprised it's not up for consideration for best picture (especially when a biopic as forgettable as imitation game was nominated the year before). damned great.

3. Neon Demon
i was fairly worried about this as despite my affinity for drive, nicolas winding refn's last effort, only god forgives, left me with mixed feelings, and there were several poor impressions rolling out. what i got was probably the best surprise of the year - a weird yet thoroughly delightful horror flick that was in part responsible for one of my best cinema experiences ever when i ended up having an entire screen to myself in the middle of the night. incredible cinematography, an amazing soundtrack (once again by cliff martinez) and a enjoyable plot predicated on the simple suggestion that beauty is everything (which serves as a meta commentary on the film itself). imagery found in glamorous photo shoots are twisted into something horrific and unsettling. cannibalism and necorphilia serve as basic metaphors for the model industry. it's not very deep, and is often criticised for being all show and no substance, but that is very much hand in hand with the point of the film - beauty is everything (although this is admittedly very basic and limiting). elsewhere, the pacing is quite sloppy and the last twenty minutes in particular are excrutiatingly slow. even though i'd admit the film wasn't great - both limited by its central theme and suffering from a few slight problems - it was still one of my absolute favourite film experiences of the year.

4. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
a great, heartwarming film that often times reminded me of wes anderson's work, only with a slightly more realist aesthetic. handles both tragedy and comedy extremely well with a hefty sense of humanity. not everything works particularly well - the 'villain' character, as funny as she is ('no child left behind!'), often feels too one-dimensional and incrongrous in her how cartoonish she is, whilst the final confrontation feels slightly anticlimactic. still, a better film overall than taiki waititi's last film, what we do in the shadows, which was pretty decent, and both succeed in making me surprisingly excited for the next thor film despite the previous films being what they are.

5. Captain America: Civil War
i came out of the cinema feeling incredibly hyped at what i had just witnessed: more than anything, this film felt like an event. it may not have been as solid as winter soldier but it had excited me just as much. and whilst on rewatching the film it doesn't quite wow me as it had initially in the cinema, i cannot deny how much i enjoy it from start to finish. the russos brothers certainly have a way in making these characters seem interesting and absorbing. not as good as winter soldier, but still one of the better mcu films to date, and certainly shows that the russos are capable of juggling a large selection of characters. hopefully they do a good job for infinity war.

Honourable mentions:
x. Silence
i wish i had liked this more than i did - i came out feeling pretty underwhelmed. even as someone who enjoys slow films i ended up feeling bored. it just often felt like it plodded and meandered along, and repetitious, wholly unecessary narration from garfield started to grate after a while. as for the acting, the cast put in some fantastic physical performances (garfield especially, to my surprise) but are marred by terribly done, inconsistent accents (neeson doesn't even try). however, the kurosawa inspired cinematography is gorgeous (i hope it wins the oscar, as unlikely as it is at this point) and despite it's aforementioned plodding some scenes are incredibly powerful and harrowing. ambitious and admirable in many ways but in my eyes ultimately flawed, hence just an honourable mention.

x. Wiener-Dog
dark comedy that explores themes such as mortality, the afterlife, and the creation of art itself through a cute little wiener dog that passes on along different dysfunctional characters. sadly one of the vignettes seems too thinly spread out whilst another feels like not enough time was given at all. similarly performances and the jokes seem to fare better with some of the characters and not with the others (i'm not quite sure greta gerwig's character particularly works well). still massively charming and quirky, and the jokes that do hit are as great as they are dark.

x. Rogue One
x. Deadpool
x. Doctor Strange
x. Zootopia
x. The Conjuring 2

Dishounarable mention:
o. Suicide Squad
what a load of shit.

Did not see but wanted to:
i. Arrival
i. Handmaiden
i. Moonlight
i. Hell or High Water

Kazaam

The voting is now closed! I'll update the list with the latest entries and while you can't edit your lists or order of the top you can still edit to add descriptions or details to the films you chose. I will try to select a quote or two for the top 10 winning films from your posts (if there are any opinions to quote). While I really wanted to get the results thread up and running tomorrow... it's probably better the expect it in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your lists and votes!

Moppeh

Banned
The voting is now closed! I'll update the list with the latest entries and while you can't edit your lists or order of the top you can still edit to add descriptions or details to the films you chose. I will try to select a quote or two for the top 10 winning films from your posts (if there are any opinions to quote). While I really wanted to get the results thread up and running tomorrow... it's probably better the expect it in a couple of days.

Thank you all for your lists and votes!

I've been occasionally editing my posted list over the past couple weeks, with my latest change being a couple days ago.

Was my latest list added or was an older one?

I don't want to give you more work or anything, I'm just curious if my latest changes will be added.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
1. Zootopia
2. Deadpool
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Arrival
5. Moana
6. Hell or High Water
7. Rouge One
8. Star Trek Beyond
9. Moonlight
10. Manchester by the Sea

Kazaam

I've been occasionally editing my posted list over the past couple weeks, with my latest change being a couple days ago.

Was my latest list added or was an older one?

I don't want to give you more work or anything, I'm just curious if my latest changes will be added.

Of course. Every post is being checked (from the first post to the last one) to double check every list is in it's most updated form. That's why I said it will take a bit more instead of having the thread ready today as I wanted.

1. Zootopia
2. Deadpool
3. Hacksaw Ridge
4. Arrival
5. Moana
6. Hell or High Water
7. Rouge One
8. Star Trek Beyond
9. Moonlight
10. Manchester by the Sea

Unfortunately, it would be unfair to others to take this list in consideration since it was posted after the voting closed. Next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom