• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Movies of the Year 2016 Voting Thread - Voting Ends 2/26/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazaam

Hey everyone! The voting thread for GAF's Movies of the Year is finally up (I know quite a few people have been eager to share their lists).
An amazing 2016 for cinema worldwide I think will provide quite a few interesting selections, probably a bit more diverse than last year where the number one winner (as expected) broke all records (Mad Max Fury Road).
So share your lists and opinions and choose wisely as every vote counts! In case you don't know the rules, I'll explain them below. But first...

Last year's top 10:

1. Mad Max: Fury Road (with a staggering 217 votes and 1840 points!)
2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
3. Inside Out
4. Ex Machina
5. Sicario
6. The Martian
7. Creed
8. The Hateful Eight
9. The Revenant
10. Room

Last year we had the biggest number of lists (257) and films (187) submitted so far, so let's try to break that record once again!

Previous results threads:

Rules:

- List a minimum of 3, maximum of 10 movies you consider best that were released in 2016.
- The window for the 2016 release date is wide.. You can add a movie if it released in your area in 2016, or if it shows online as released in the year. (Not that it would matter, but bear in mind that some films lose points by being split between years).
- Number them (preferably from best to worst), 10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, 8 to #3, and so on and so forth. Lists that are not numbered will not be added to the final tally.
- You're free to edit them as you wish until the voting ends.
- Make only one list.
- While not obligatory, it is highly recommended to share a few thoughts about the films along with your list.

The voting thread will close on Sunday 26th at 23:59 GMT/ 15:59 PST/ 18:59 EST (there will be a countdown attached to the OT once we get closer to the closing date). It will be right before the Academy Awards ceremony... this way we'll have the GAF results very shortly after the Oscar winners will be announced.

t1488153600z0.png

Also, I would like to thank Charles Foster Kane for the format and all the work he has done in previous years and hope he's well.

EDIT: Already started well with a mistake in the thread title. Voting will end on the 26th of February this year, not last. If a mod could change the 2/26/16 to 2/26/17 I'd really appreciate it

EDIT 2: Thank you mods!

If one were to vote for the new Godzilla film, which title would count: Shin Godzilla or Godzilla Resurgence?
Asking for a friend.

edit 1: It's a bummer that voting ends 2 days before Moonlight comes out on Blu-ray, but I hope the digital download release is earlier than that.

cj_iwakura

Might help if anyone needs a refresher:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_film

For me:

1. The Witch
2. La La Land
3. Green Room
4. Blair Witch
5. Doctor Strange
6. Rogue One
7. Deadpool
8. Suicide Squad
9. Keanu
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane

(Mind you there's a lot I didn't see.)

Films that might make it on if I see them (confident they'll be good):
The Neon Demon
The Handmaiden
The Nice Guys
Sing Street

Kazaam

If one were to vote for the new Godzilla film, which title would count: Shin Godzilla or Godzilla Resurgence?
Asking for a friend.

I think Shin Godzilla is best, but either would be fine in the end as I will check for alternative titles when I have trouble with some lists, though going for the most common one (the title usually found on imdb and/or letterboxd) will be helpful.

Pachimari

1. The Handmaiden
2. The Neon Demon
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. Sing Street
6. The Witch
7. The Accountant
8. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
9. Southbound
10. Hush

I have yet to watch movies like Jason Bourne, Midnight Special, The Nice Guys, The Conjuring 2, The Wailing, Zootopia, Kupo, The Edge of Seventeen, The Lobster, The Shallows, Under the Shadow, Elle, American Honey, Mænd og Høns, Yours Only, La La Land, Rogue One, Manchester by the Sea, Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Shin Godzilla, Moana, Paterson, Silence or Moonlight.

Movies I've seen but don't deserve a ranking:
Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Southbound, Hush, Doctor Strange, Blair Witch, Suicide Squad, Batman v Superman, X-Men: Apocalypse, Deadpool, Don't Breathe, Kingslaive: Final Fantasy XV, Deepwater Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Sausage Party, Popstar, The Jungle Book, Other People, Train to Busan, Lights Out, The Invitation

obin_gam

1. The Witch
2. Deadpool
3. Batman: The Return of the Caped Crusaders
4. The Conjuring 2
5. The Neon Demon
6. Captain America: Civil War
7. The Nice Guys
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
9. Blair Witch
10. Hell or High Water

Kazaam

Thanks for doing this, Kazaam!

I've still got a bunch more movies to see before I can make my list.

My pleasure. And yes... 2016 (while a shit year in many aspects) was a wonderful and diverse year for cinema. Pretty much every corner of the world had outstanding films... I still haven't completely decided on my list either which usually for me is either a very bad sign or a very good one. This year is definitely a very good one... so many great films.

Hopefully be able to catch Paterson, Elle, Under the Shadow, and Shin Godzilla before voting ends but I'll start working out my list now.

kevin1025

Banned
My pleasure. And yes... 2016 (while a shit year in many aspects) was a wonderful and diverse year for cinema. Pretty much every corner of the world had outstanding films... I still haven't completely decided on my list either which usually for me is either a very bad sign or a very good one. This year is definitely a very good one... so many great films.

I still need to watch 24 potential contenders. I think the summer was a real downer (apart from smaller gems) but the fall, and now December and the wider January releases, are absolute monsters!

Mr. Sam

The disparity between US and UK release dates always fucks me on these. For example, Creed, Room and The Revenant were all released in 2016 in the UK, but La La Land has been released in 2017 (and I'm yet to see it). As always, I'll submit a list based on US release dates so as to have some hope of influencing the final list.

There's not as obvious a number one film this year as there was last with Mad Max. My money's on Arrival.

Laieon

1. The Wailing
2. Train to Busan
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
5. The Handmaiden
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane
7. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
8. Zootopia
9. Don't Breathe
10. Doctor Strange

Still need to watch La La Land (was just recently released in Korea, I'll probably check out next weekend), Hacksaw Ridge (it's either out now or coming out soon) and Arrival (which was never released here).

Ridley327

I kinda figured this would go up sooner rather than later, since the Oscar nominations are ridiculously late this year. That's OK, because we usually get this stuff right more than they do!

OK, THIS IS FINAL NOW:

1. O.J.: Made in America
2. The Handmaiden
3. Moonlight
4. Embrace of the Serpent
5. Tower
6. Silence
7. The Witch
8. Cameraperson
9. The Love Witch
10. Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Honorable mentions: 13th, Manchester by the Sea, Arrival, Shin Godzilla, The Edge of Seventeen, Sing Street, The Wailing, Everybody Wants Some!!, Under the Shadow, Green Room, Hush

Kito

1. Nocturnal Animals
2. The Girl on the Train
3. Café Society
4. Allied
5. Arrival

Edit:

Forgot to add honourable mentions.

x. Passengers
x. Suicide Squad
x. The Accountant

1. Moana
2. Kubo and the Two Strings
3. Don't Breathe
4. Suicide Squad
5. The Shallows
6. Zootopia
7. Sausage Party
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
9. Finding Dory
10. Arrival

Akutsi

Neo Member
1. The Handmaiden
2. The Witch
3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
4. Arrival
5. Sing Street
6. The Wailing
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
8. Swiss Army Man
9. The Nice Guys
10. Green Room

shira

1. Arrival : Superfun scifi that makes you think
  2. Sing Street : Totally surprised a zero budget movie could have so much life
  3. The VVitch : Not a horror, more like Pan's Labyrinth style modern fairy tale
  4. La La Land : Best visuals and colors in a movie
  5. Rouge One : Too bad we can't see Whitta's original script
  6. The Nice Guys : Goofy fun
  7. Deadpool : Goofier fun
  8. Hunt for the Wilderpeople : Another zero budget movie that is awesome
  9. 10 Cloverfield Lane : Damien Chazelle does sci-fi
  10. Kubo and the Two Strings : A kids movie with hands down best CG

Haven't seen a whole bunch of the awards fodder: Moonlight, Hacksaw, Hidden Figures, Jackie, Manchester, Hell or High Water, Fences, Elle

Academy Nominations 1/24
SAG Awards 1/29
Directors Guild 2/3
BAFTA 2/12
Academy Awards 2/26

crustikid

1. Manchester By the Sea
2. Toni Errdman
3. Moonlight
4. OJ Made in America
5. Lo and Behold
6. Midnight Special
7. La La Land
8. Zootopia
9. The Lobster
10. Joshy

HoJu

1. Paterson
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. Moonlight
4. La La Land
5. Toni Erdmann
6. Our Little Sister
7. After the Storm
8. Arrival
9. Certain Women
10. Elle

been a good year.

haikira

nine_square_grid_ag7jo7by4.png

1. Green Room
2. Hell or High Water
3. The Witch
4. The Wailing
5. The Nice Guys
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane
7. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
8. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
9. Don't Breathe
10. The Neon Demon

x. Midnight Special
x. Hush
x. Train To Busan

1. The Witch - A masterwork of oppressive atmosphere and slow-burn dread
2. Train To Busan - The best zombie film in recent years, that expertly uses the tight confines of its setting for clever set-pieces and suspense
3. Hacksaw Ridge - A visceral meat grinder of a war film with an inspiring story and hero at its center
4. Green Room - Desperate survival and claustrophobic horror form the backbone of this lean brutal thriller
5. Arrival - A grippingly realistic first contact story. A compelling mystery/drama that delves into fascinating sci-fi concepts and questions
6. Hardcore Henry - My guilty pleasure of 2016, so dumb but damn is it one non-stop over-the-top roller coaster of an action movie
7. Deepwater Horizon - A excellent disaster thriller, that carefully builds tension until erupting into relentless hell-on-earth chaos
8. Captain American Civil War - With its exciting new heroes and impressive superhero action, Civil War feels like an epic splash page come to life
9. Hell or High Water - A brisk blend of neo-western thriller and character drama
10. Under The Shadow - The setting of 1980s wartime Tehran imbues this excellent horror movie with a greater sense of tension than any monster ever could

I think this should be the first line of the OP:
- Number them (preferably from best to worst), 10 points goes to the #1 choice, 9 points goes to #2, 8 to #3, and so on and so forth. Lists that are not numbered will not be added to the final tally.

Ugh this was hard. Some items might shift.

1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Zootopia
4. The Nice Guys
5. The Edge of Seventeen
6. Moana
7. Hell or High Water
8. Deadpool
9. Captain America: Civil War
10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Runner up:
Sing Street
Doctor Strange
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Star Trek Beyond
The Jungle Book
Finding Dory

Don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as a barrel tier:
Zoolander 2

Movies I still need to see from 2016:
Moonlight, Kubo (I own it, will watch in the next week or so), Hacksaw Ridge, Jason Bourne, The Girl on the Train, Manchester by the Sea, Nocturnal Animals, & Hidden Figures

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane
2. The Nice Guys
3. Arrival
4. Rogue One
5. The Witch

(I didn't see many movies that came out in 2016)

Wensih

I'm glad voting ends late February (need to fix year to 2017). I still need to see moonlight and Manchester. Along with others but these two hopefully will have a DVD release before the end of feb.

Although even then there are limited release movies like Elle and Toni Erdmann that I probably won't be able to watch before the deadline due to lack of availability which is a shame.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Haven't seen Star Wars, Arrival or Doctor Strange yet.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
3. Deadpool
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. X-Men Apocalypse
6. Finding Dory
7.The Witch
8. Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
9. Suicide Squad
10. The Revenant

I have only seen the extended versions of BvS and SS and found them to be enjoyable enough despite their faults.

A lot that I've missed in 2016 that will be caught up on in due course but for now:

1. 13th. Necessary viewing in our times.
2. Moana. Such a pleasure throughout the whole movie.
3. The Nice Guys. Hilarious. Gosling and Crowe are perfect.
4. Captain America: Civil War. Hits every one of my nerd bones in the right spot.
5. Zootopia. Unexpected lessons about racism.
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane. Economical with everything it does. Can't believe it was a debut film.
7. Arrival. 70's style sci-fi with unexpected focus on character over plot.
8. Green Room. Tense as fuck, brutal as fuck.
9. Deadpool. Hilarious, not much else to say.
10. Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. Enjoyable return to an interesting universe.

1. The Nice Guys
2. Captain America: Civil War
3. Arrival
4. Rogue One
5. 10 Cloverfield Lane
6. Shin Godzilla
7. Kubo and the Two Strings
8. Doctor Strange
9. Deadpool
10. Star Trek Beyond

Was a decent year for movies this year.

UberTag

MV5BNzQxNTIyODAxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzQyMDA3OTE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjA2Mzg2NDMzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjcwODUzOTE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BYTBjYjllZTctMTdkMy00MmE5LTllYjctYzg3OTc1MTFjZGYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1._SY209_CR2,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjI1MDQ2MDg5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc2NjM5ODE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTc5NDI5MzA1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTQzNTQwMDI@._V1._SY209_CR1,0,140,209_.jpg

MV5BMTExMzU0ODcxNDheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDE1OTI4MzAy._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTg1OTA5OTkyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODMwNDU5OTE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BYzA4OGQ5NmMtNzM1ZC00YzIxLThmZWQtODkyYTA0ZGI3MGIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwNjczOTE@._V1._SY209_CR4,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BOTMyMjEyNzIzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzIyNjU0NzE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTUzODA4Nzk0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE1MDIwMDI@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg

1. Moonlight
2. Kubo and the Two Strings
3. The Handmaiden
4. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
5. Elle
6. Arrival
7. A Monster Calls
8. Toni Erdmann
9. Zootopia
10. Paterson

Honorable Mentions

Captain Fantastic
Christine
Hell or High Water
I, Daniel Blake
Indignation
Sing Street
Your Name

Paterson is the first film I've watched where halfway, several disgruntled people left the theatre.

Absolutley Disgusting
Haven't seen it

I still need to watch Paterson, Silence, and Jackie before making my list. Feel confident that Handmaiden, Manchester, and Moonlight will be top 5 though.

Crixus

1. Arrival ; fantastic piece of science fiction, strong emotional performance from Amy Adams, intriguing pacing of mystery and reveal, goosebumps-inducing audio.
2. Storks ; charming storytelling and funny characters, the wolves really killed it!
3. Finding Dory ; as I expected from a Pixar dramedy, gorgeous animation and inspiring visuals, the ocean looks strikingly beautiful. #teamSeptopus. Also, Piper (the short film that was played before Finding Dory) is my new favorite Pixar short.

1. Arrival
2. The Nice Guys
3. La La Land
4. Nocturnal Animals
5. Hell or High Water
6. Don't Breathe
7. Swiss Army Man
8. Shin Godzilla
9. Sing Street
10. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

opricnik

Banned
1.Hacksaw ridge
2.Lala Land
3.Deadpool
4.Zootopia
5.10 Cloverfield Lane
6.Popstar
7.BloodFather
8.Hardcore Henry

yet to see Neon Demon,harry potter spin-off,arrival,nocturne animals

gforguava

1. Little Sister
2. The Handmaiden
3. Rogue One
4. The Shallows
5. Green Room
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane
7. Teenage Cocktail
8. The Nice Guys
9. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
10. I Am The Pretty Thing That Lives In The House

Kickz

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane; JOHN FRIGGIN GOODMAN
2. Zootopia; Favorite cgi movie of all time
3. Dr Strange; Bendict in a cape

Timeaisis

1. Hell or High Water
2. The Nice Guys
3. Midnight Special
4. Arrival
5. La La Land
6. The Invitation
7. Finding Dory
8. Rogue One
9. Kubo and the Two Strings
10. Star Trek: Beyond

Still need to catch Manchester, Silence, and Elle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom