• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf Movies of the Year 2016 Voting Thread - Voting Ends 2/26/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin1025

Banned
1. Hell or High Water
2. The Nice Guys
3. Midnight Special
4. Arrival
5. La La Land
6. The Invitation
7. Finding Dory
8. Rogue One
9. Kubo and the Two Strings
10. Star Trek: Beyond

Still need to catch Manchester, Silence, and Elle.

The Invitation is an awesome choice, more need to see this one. I'm contemplating placing it in my top 10, as well.

zeemumu

I'm only ranking movies that I've seen.

1.Deadpool
2.Zootopia
3.Doctor Strange
4.Rogue One
5.Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
6.The Conjuring 2
7.10 Cloverfield Lane
8.Captain America: Civil War
9.Kung Fu Panda 3
10.Don't Breathe

Wensih

1. The Lobster

Still have a bunch of stuff left to see so I'll be adding more later.

I might give this and Rams an honorable mention due to the weird release date schedule. The lobster is definitely a favorite from US releases but I also saw it 2015.

kevin1025

Banned
My final top 10. This was way too hard to decide, haha.

1. The Edge of Seventeen - the surprise of the year for me. It's full of heart, emotion, great characters and great acting, and really digs deep on what is important to a teenager.
2. The Lobster - an absurdist view on love in a strange world. Has some incredible lines and hilarious moments, and is super offbeat and fascinating to watch.
3. The Jungle Book - I went in hoping to love it, and I came out loving it more. It captures the imagination, has a ton of fun and thrills, and Favreau does right by the source material. Plus it's gorgeous.
4. Hell or High Water - A fantastic movie with great characterization, great performances, and a beautiful landscape. It all hinges on Chris Pine and Ben Foster, who are a perfect duo in this.
5. Don't Breathe - The perfect exploitation thriller, where its soul mate is Green Room. Tightly made, tense as all hell, creative in its execution, and a unique villain. Not for everyone, but it hit all its marks for me.
6. Swiss Army Man
7. Hunt For The Wilderpeople
8. Moana
9. La La Land
10. The Invitation

TissueBox

I didn't get to watch as much films as I would've liked which is depressing. However here are my top American films out of that I had seen:

1. Everybody Wants Some!!
2. Hail, Caesar!
3. Wiener-Dog
4. The Neon Demon
5. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

I have been sick this last few months so I have barely watched movies but I will start to catch them. Hope I remember to update this. For now:

1- Revenant
2- The Handmaiden.
3- Son of Saul
4- Neon Demon
5- Midnight Special
6- Mustang
7- Tangerine

I have been sick this last few months so I have barely watched movies but I will start to catch them. Hope I remember to update this. For now:

1- Revenant
2- Son of Saul
3- Neon Demon
4- Midnight Special
5- Mustang
6- Tangerine

Revenant is 2015. I only know this cause I was gonna put it on my list too. :b

Oof, this'll be difficult, I've seen a lot of movies and I think a lot have been great. There are still a bunch I want to see that are releasing a bit later though (Manchester by the sea, Moonlight among them). So maybe I'll change things up later.

1. Hell Or High Water
2. The Red Turtle
3. The Wailing
4. I, Daniel Blake
5. La La Land
6. The Nice Guys
7. Arrival
8. Elle
9. Toni Erdmann
10 Love & Friendship

There are so many other movies I'd also want to put in the list, but I think it has been an absolutely great and versatile year. Pretty much all of the movies in the list I've enjoyed for different reasons and some have been very innovative like Elle and Toni Erdmann.

I was waiting for this.

Just putting movies for now. Will order them later when I give it some more thought. Plus I still need to watch Neon Demon.

Deadpool
Star Trek Beyond
The Jungle Book
Green Room
The Nice Guys
Rogue One
The Witch
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Don't Breathe
Civil War
Arrival
Doctor Strange
Conjuring 2

Mr. Sam

l7RbT3C.png

1. 10 Cloverfield Lane (Dan Trachtenberg)
Undoubtedly the surprise of 2016. Whereas the original Cloverfield also had some genius advertising and a similar buzz, the film itself was rather underwhelming. The idea of making the series into a science fiction anthology, rather than following unlikeable people with a handheld camera, is a stroke of genius. While there's no guarantee that any other films with the word "Cloverfield" in the title will be as inventive, tense and - ultimately - surprising as 10 Cloverfield Lane, one can hope.

2. Anomalisa (Charlie Kaufman, Duke Johnson)
Charlie Kaufman continues his streak of making incredible, distinctive films. To say Anomalisa is melancholic is to make it sound a lot lighter than it actually is. Sombre but not overwhelmingly so, a film starring puppets and three voices feels like the most insightful one of the year. Not to mention the sex scene (basically the antithesis of Team America: World Police).

3. Everybody Wants Some!! (Richard Linklater)
It was Terry Pratchett who wrote, "Multiple explanation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind." On this evidence, it's absolutely true. The tone errs more on the side of celebrating masculinity than criticising it, but to call it an exploration would be fairest. A fascinating and hilarious exploration.

4. Swiss Army Man (Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert)
"If you don't know Jurassic Park, you don't know shit." As well as containing the quote of the year, Swiss Army Man wins points for being equal parts bizarre, touching and truly funny, usually at the same time. Remarkable for a film the premise of which is "A man stranded on an island rides a farting corpse back to the mainland."

5. The Witch (Robert Eggers)
The latest film to have horror fans thumb their noses and proclaim as not that good (a tip of the hat to It Follows and The Babadook), The Witch is understated, patient and fundamentally creepy.

6. Captain America: Civil War (Joe Russo, Anthony Russo)
In a year that saw perhaps a record number of bad superhero films, Civil War stood out more easily than it might have. A flawed but well executed action thriller with perhaps the most broadly pleasing fanservice from Marvel thus far.

7. Love & Friendship (Whit Stillman)
Every now and then, a writer or director comes along that knows Shakespeare can be funny or exciting instead of a glorified recital. Rarely is this the case with Jane Austen. You will not find a funnier costume drama than Love & Friendship.

8. Train to Busan (Yeon Sang-ho)
The only non-English language film on the list. A zombie film that doesn't reinvent the wheel but is nonetheless novel and effective.

9. Green Room (Jeremy Saulnier)
It's a great tragedy that Anton Yelchin won't be able to deliver more excellent performances like he does in this gruesome, stomach-churning film. Nazi punks, fuck off.

10. Kubo and the Two Strings (Travis Knight)
Another impressive film from Laika's animation studios and, truth be told, the first to equal the heights of Coraline. It demonstrates some truly exceptional stop-motion and is a beautiful film besides.

Honourable mentions: Sing Street, Your Name, The Childhood of a Leader, The Girl with All the Gifts, Bone Tomahawk

ezekial45

Banned
1. Moonlight
2. OJ: Made In America
3. Swiss Army Man
4. The Nice Guys
5. Deadpool
6. Green Room
7. Zootopia
8. Moana
9. Captain America: Civil War
10. 10 Cloverfield Lane

Schlorgan

1. Zootopia
2. 10 Cloverfield Lane
3. Star Trek Beyond
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Doctor Strange
6. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
7. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

That's basically all of the movies I saw in theaters this year (except for IDR which doesn't make this or any list).

Jibbed

1. The Lobster. Everyone needs to see this film.
2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
3. Deadpool
4. Captain America: Civil War
5. Zootopia

I don't think I've even seen more than 8 new films this past year.

1 - La La Land
2 - Moonlight
3 - Arrival
4 - The Handmaiden
5 - Pete's Dragon
6 - Christine
7 - Hell or High Water
8 - Tickled
9 - The Wailing
10 - 10 Cloverfield Lane

This thread is making me want to check out The Lobster and The Witch .. which I believe both are free on Amazon Prime in the US right now.

lordxar

1. Arrival - I love scifi and this was the scifi film to see last year.

2. The Wailing - Batshit insanity

3. Train to Busan - Not only is this an amazing zombie film it has some of the best and most colorful filming out there.

4. Ghostbusters - As a large fan of the first movie (second was ass) I can say I was very pleasantly surprised at this one. Changing the cast to all women seemed like a bad move, not because their chicks but would Alien be the same if Ripley was a dude? Happily I can say that I loved this and enjoyed seeing it in the theater just as much as I did the original. Very fun for me.

5. La La Land - I'm not into musicals. That said this one hooked me like Chicago did in days past.

6. Hacksaw Ridge - A very good war movie that covers beliefs without beating your head in about them.

7. Neon Demon - I have to drop this in here for the sheer insanity of the ending alone.

8. The Magnificent Seven - Having watched Seven Samurai for the first time in 2016 I have to say this was a decent film. Very safe but very enjoyable nonetheless.

9. The Autopsy of Jane Doe - The second half isn't as good as the first but holy shit that first half was great.

10. Deadpool - I enjoyed this but will bounce it if/when I watch something better.

The things I want to see that may impact that list:
Hail, Caesar
Swiss Army Man
Hell or High Water
Midnight Special
Elle
Silence
Passengers
Jackie
10 Cloverfield
The Nice Guys
Manchester by the Sea
Hunt for the Wilderpeople
Hardcore Henry

vulva

top of the year lists always throw me off. I saw Green Room, The Witch and The Lobster all in 2015 so I'm never sure where to place them.

Blader

If one were to vote for the new Godzilla film, which title would count: Shin Godzilla or Godzilla Resurgence?
Asking for a friend.

edit 1: It's a bummer that voting ends 2 days before Moonlight comes out on Blu-ray, but I hope the digital download release is earlier than that.
I think it goes by Shin Godzilla in the US too. Seems like Toho dropped the Resurgence title altogether.

1. Deadpool
2. The Nice Guys
3. Zootopia
4. Rogue One
5. Arrival
6. Hell or High Water
7. Captain America Civil War
8. Secret Life of Pets
9. Sausage Party

I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Dr. Strange, Fantastic Beasts or Popstar yet and some/most of them would probably get on the list.

I know some people hated Pets and Sausage Party but I found them pretty funny. I don't watch serious movies for the most part, if that explains the list.

2015 definitely seems better than 2016 at the end, although 2016 would have been more impressive if BvS, SS, Bourne, and Star Trek had panned out.

UberTag

top of the year lists always throw me off. I saw Green Room, The Witch and The Lobster all in 2015 so I'm never sure where to place them.
This is an easier dilemma if you voted in last year's thread and included them. For instance, Son of Saul made my list last year and I voted for it in this thread... I'm not going to add it again simply because most people didn't get to watch it until 2016.

That said, if you didn't vote last year, it's a trickier proposition. Then you have a choice and I would consolidate all of the eligible films together and pick the best 10.

1. Doctor Strange
2. Captain America Civil War
3. Rogue One (Loved it, which is a surprise, since I hated The Force Awakens)
4. Deadpool
5.10 Cloverfield Lane
6. Kubo And The Two Strings
7. The Jungle Book
8. Indignation
9. Moana
10. The Witch

1. La La Land: Great songs and cinematography. Love it.
2. Moana: I came for the Polynesian setting, and I came out with the quality Disney have been delivering since Tangled. Beautiful scenery, great songs, and a colorful artstyle make this a movie that highly appeals to me, and I love it.
3. Zootopia: Disney's other feature film with a great story of nature vs. choice and prejudice. Good variety of animals...at least in the mammal class. Also, Judy is such a cutie.
4. Captain America: Civil War: A mini-Avengers movie that can still keep the focus on Captain America and Bucky. Still some great fight scenes, a welcome introduction to MCU Spider-Man, and I'm very interested to know what happens next.
5. Star Trek Beyond: Better than the previous JJ Abrams Star Trek movies. Puts in more character dynamics (notably Bones and Spock), has a beautiful design in Yorktown Station, and features a villain who isn't some generic bad guy (unlike in 2009 and Insurrection).
6. Doctor Strange: A new hero for the MCU with cool reality-warping powers, cool fights, and witty moments. Remember to drive responsibly people!
7. 13th: An important documentary on how blacks came to be perceived as criminals as well as injustice brought on by racism and the private prison industry.
8. The Jungle Book: An unexpected surprise since I was just expecting a live-action remake of the original movie, and there's plenty of new material like Mowgli's tricks, more time with the wolves, and Baloo exploiting Mowgli for his own ends, as well as the ending.
9. Finding Dory: A cute origin story for Dory that we didn't ask for, but is still nice nonetheless.
10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story: Great third act hampered by flat boring characters.

ohlawd

Didn't watch much. I still haven't watched the 2015 movies I've been meaning to. One of these days, I swear.

4. Suicide Squad ; Fun
3. Captain America: Civil War ; Iron Man was right
2. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ; Depressing af
1. Finding Dory ; Anything that gives me such insanely good vibes gets an extra +100 points.

I'm seeing Hidden Figures and Silence on Tuesday and I need to rewatch La La Land. And then Moonlight, Manchester, and Fences before the Oscars. So I'll wait to make mine. But good lists so far. I doubt anything will beat Arrival, but I'd love to be wrong!

ActWan

1. The Neon Demon - Just phenomenal. Became one of my favorite films ever...amazing cinematography, directing, acting, concepts and story, everything pretty much.
2. La La Land - Loved it so much, made me happy and sad and had an amazing soundtrack. Great directing and awesome performances especially for Emma Stone.
3. Arrival - I always love the soundtrack-cinematography combitaion in Dennis' films, and this one is no different. I didn't like the story THAT much but it's a beautiful tale all in all and Amy Adams is amazing.

1. Swiss Army Man
2. La La Land
3. Arrival
4. 10 Cloverfield Lane
5. The Nice Guys
6. Deadpool
7. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
8. The Lobster
9. Zootopia
10. Midnight Special

1. La La Land -- Pure movie magic. What an unforgettable experience.
2. Silence -- A demonstration on the power of cinema, and a thoughtful piece on the nature of religion, faith, and human suffering. Scorsese's best film in decades (and I've loved everything he's done since The Aviator.)
3. Shin Godzilla -- Brilliant revival of a goofy kaiju series with smart commentary on government response to disasters. Very hard hitting cinematography and directing that brought fresh air to a series on its 30th iteration.
4. Manchester by the Sea -- Emotionally powerful film that explores its characters deeply without resorting to manipulative means or being blatantly obvious. Phenomenal performance from Casey Affleck, great writing, and solid direction lends the story with terrific impact.
5. The Nice Guys -- Fantastic chemistry between the leads, and the comedy is so on-point. It is up there with Hot Fuzz in terms of quality comedy films.
6. The Wailing -- Really unsettling horror film with great performances and a deep, involving story. The last hour really elevates it to amazing heights.
7. Sing Street -- It is so hard not to get charmed by this film. Great Soundtrack too.
8. Hacksaw Ridge -- Gruesome, pulse-pounding, and awe-inspiring, this war film brings not just the horrors of battle to life, but also the unbelievable courage and strength of a genuinely good man. Powerful performance by Andrew Garfield and stellar direction by Gibson leaves a very remarkable impression. Too bad about those technical goofs, though.
9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- It's lacking in a lot of parts, but I really loved it for the fanservice and the amazing action set-pieces. It also made A New Hope more likeable.

I do intend to see the heavy hitters in the coming weeks, so list is not at all final.

So many films I still need to see...

Hell or High Water, Captain Fantastic, Toni Erdmann, Your Name, Kubo, Fences, Christine, The Handmaiden, Hidden Figures, Train to Busan, 20th Century Women, American Honey, Elle, Love & Friendship, Neon Demon, Paterson, Nocturnal Animals, Hail Caesar, I Daniel Blake, Midnight Special... and that's just from a quick look at imdb.

As of now:

1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Silence
4. Moonlight
5. The Nice Guys
6. Manchester By The Sea
7. The Witch
8. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
9. Moana
10. Swiss Army Man

Scotch

1. Arrival
2. The Big Short
3. The Revenant
4. Hell or High Water
5. The VVitch
6. Deadpool
7. La La Land
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
9. Elle
10. Nocturnal Animals

1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Don't Think Twice
4. Sing Street
5. The Witch
6. Zootopia
7. Everybody Wants Some!!
8. The Nice Guys
9. Deadpool
10. The Invitation

theBmZ

Didn't get to see as much as I wanted to this year. Superhero movies were the primary obligation as there were so many of them this year.

1. The Neon Demon - Beautifully shot. Incredible soundtrack. Terrific performances. An engaging and unsettling story about youth and beauty, and the price some are willing to pay to attain it. Even it that price is their humanity.

2. Arrival - It's smart science fiction with very human issues and themes at its center. The film really takes its time, and knows exactly how to use the alien creatures. Amy Adams quite possibly gives the performance of her career.

3. La La Land - A more modern and updated take on the musical. It doesn't forget to tell a compelling story while it has fun with the musical numbers. The music itself is fantastic and wonderfully paced. The movie gives its two leads plenty of time to act and develop their characters. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling are fantastic.

4. 10 Cloverfield Lane - A very subtle and understated movie for the most part. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a compelling lead. John Goodman steals the show however. His performance is genuinely creepy. The film constantly has you second guessing yourself until the very end.

5. Captain America: Civil War - Possibly Marvel's finest film so far. The film has it's characters take two opposing views and invites the audience to do the same. It's not just black and white though. It's easy to see and understand both sides of the argument. The movie doesn't forget to be fun however. The action reaches an all time high. The airport sequence is Superhero cinema gold.

6. Finding Dory - This had the potential to be terrible if not handled properly. Thankfully the fine people at Pixar remembered to have a compelling story. The characters are great. It has those classic Pixar heartfelt moments. It's a very fun family film that earns its right to exist.

7. Green Room - A brutal and extremely engaging story of survival. It's very simple, but brilliantly effective. Great performances all around. Especially from Anton Yelchin and Patrick Stewart.

8. The Girl on the Train - A simple mystery film about a lonely woman who constantly dreams of a life she could have had. The mystery itself is fine, and has you thinking a good portion of the film. Emily Blunt elevates the movie from a decent movie, to a good one.

9. Star Trek Beyond - After two bad entries in the franchise, the filmmakers finally give this great cast a very solid movie. It strikes a nice balance between "classic" and "new" Star Trek. All the characters have something to do. There's a good amount of character development. The action is pretty fun. Hopefully this is the start of a brighter future for the Star Trek films.

10. Deadpool - What is there to say that hasn't been said already? Ryan Reynolds was born to play Deadpool. It's such a refreshing change of pace. It was the right movie, at the right time. Deadpool opens the doors for the superhero genre to hopefully take more chances with their films.

Just for fun, here's every other movie I saw this year that's not in my top ten.

Dirty Grandpa
Hail Caesar!
Zoolander 2
Gods of Egypt
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
X-Men: Apocalypse
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Independence Day: Resurgence
Ghostbusters
Batman: The Killing Joke
Suicide Squad
Yoga Hosers
Doctor Strange
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

1. The Neon Demon
2. 10 Cloverfield Lane
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Arrival
5. Deadpool
6. Zootopia
7. Keeping up with the Jones
8. Doctor Strange
9. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
10. Hidden Figures

the Handmaiden still not better than the original

kevin1025

Banned
So many films I still need to see...

Hell or High Water, Captain Fantastic, Toni Erdmann, Your Name, Kubo, Moonlight, Fences, Jackie, Manchester by the Sea, Christine, The Handmaiden, Hidden Figures, Train to Busan, 20th Century Women, American Honey, Elle, Love & Friendship, Neon Demon, Paterson, Nocturnal Animals, Hail Caesar, I Daniel Blake, Midnight Special, Hacksaw Ridge, Loving... and that's just from a quick look at imdb.

As of now:

1. La La Land
2. The Nice Guys
3. Moana
4. Arrival
5. Silence
6. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
7. Swiss Army Man
8. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
9. Sing Street
10. Rogue One

If The Witch is 2016 and not 2015 (as according to Letterboxd), then slide that in before Hunt for the WIlderpeople.

For The Witch, it premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival, so that's why it is listed that way. A24 released it in February 2016 for theatres, though.

Thewonandonly

1. The Witch - A masterwork of oppressive atmosphere and slow-burn dread
2. Train To Busan - The best zombie film in recent years, that expertly uses the tight confines of its setting for clever set-pieces and suspense
3. Hacksaw Ridge - A visceral meat grinder of a war film with an inspiring story and hero at its center
4. Green Room - Desperate survival and claustrophobic horror form the backbone of this lean brutal thriller
5. Hardcore Henry - My guilty pleasure of 2016, so dumb but damn is it one non-stop over-the-top roller coaster of an action movie
6. Deepwater Horizon - A excellent disaster thriller, that carefully builds tension until erupting into relentless hell-on-earth chaos
7. Kubo and the Two Strings - An ambitious work of gorgeous animation and astounding craft, with great action and a heart-warming tale
8. Captain American Civil War - With its exciting new heroes and impressive superhero action, Civil War feels like an epic splash page come to life
9. Hell or High Water - A brisk blend of neo-western thriller and character drama
10. Under The Shadow - The setting of 1980s wartime Tehran imbues this excellent horror movie with a greater sense of tension than any monster ever could
Really like your list and you sold me on train, green room, and under. I will add those to movies I have to see along with silence, Godzilla, hidden figures and fenses. While blockbusters might have sucked this year there are still a fuck ton of great movies.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
1) Your Name
2) Arrival
3) Captain Fantastic
4) Hell Or High Water
5) Love And Friendship
6) Eddie The Eagle
7) Sing Street
8) Weiner
9) Everybody Wants Some
10) I, Daniel Blake

KayMote

I still have plenty of movies on my watchlist, but so far I would rank them like this:

1. La La Land
2. Toni Erdmann
3. After the Storm
4. The Handmaiden
5. Les Innocentes
6. Sing Street
7. Paterson
8. Tower
9. Right now, wrong then
10. Certain Women

1. Elle -- Devilishly funny and asks some interesting questions about sexuality and relationships.
2. The Witch -- One of the most oppressive movies I've ever watched.
3. The Handmaiden
4. Moonlight
5. La La Land
6. Arrival
7. 10 Cloverfield Lane
8. Don't Breath
9. The Lobster
10. Captain Fantastic

1) Moonlight
2) La La Land
3) Arrival
4) OJ: Made in America
5) The Nice Guys
6) Hunt For The Wilderpeople
7) The Lobster
8) 10 Cloverfield Lane
9) Don't Breath
10) Sing Steet

Still haven't seen a lot that I want to though like: Manchester by the Sea, Silence, Paterson, Hidden Figures, Hell or High Water, Hacksaw Ridge, Elle, etc.

HM: Rogue One, CA: Civil War, Deadpool, Green Room

hiredhand

Final list:

1. La La Land
2. Jackie
3. I, Daniel Blake
4. Moonlight
5. Fuocoammare (Fire at Sea)
6. Little Men
7. Under the Shadow
8. Hymyilevä Mies (The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki)
9. Elle
10. The Love Witch

Honorable mentions (in random order): Hacksaw Ridge, Neruda, Silence, Wiener-Dog, Arrival, Paterson, Star Trek Beyond, 13 Hours, The VVitch,
Toni Erdmann

Catvoca

Banned
Haven't seen much this year since I mostly watch TV anyway, but I feel like I gotta vote to represent one of the funniest movies I've seen in years, the future cult classic Popstar. Might update with more stuff later.

1. Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
2. Creed
3. Doctor Strange
4. Other People
5. Star Trek: Beyond
6. Deadpool

1. Captain America: Civil War-Simply the most fun I had at the theaters in 2016. Marvel Studios once again proves why they are the best at delivering blockbusters. The Russos are masters at balancing character and spectacle. Every narrative beat is in the service of character. Even seemingly extraneous moments such as Tony meeting Peter tie back into the core themes of the film while also moving character arcs forward. And the airport scene? Simply the best action scene in a comic book film, period. Better yet, that was merely the second act, with the Russos wisely paring down the stakes for the third act. Civil War paid off years of storytelling, proving that a serialized cinematic universe can work when in the right hands.

2. Arrival-The less said, the better, for fear of spoilers. Arrival proves that smart science fiction can be incredibly effective when done right. A topical and relevant film, especially in 2016. The atmosphere and tension generated through the cinematography and sound design is a feast for the senses.

3. La La Land-They don't make movies like this anymore. And that's a damn shame. La La Land not only captures the spirit of the films of yore but maintains an energy that points towards the future. Catchy songs, amazing cinematography, brilliant performances, and a one hell of an ending. I was definitely feeling some kind of way at the end there. What an amazing roller coaster of emotions, from excitement to heartbreak.

4. Hell or High Water-I didn't really know anything about it until I saw the great reviews. I'm glad I checked it out, because this is an incredible film about two brothers and the lengths that they will go to achieve their goals. The topic of banks and the idea of "robbery" is also relevant and resonant as well.

5. The Wailing-Similar to the above, I had no idea this film existed until I saw the great reviews. This one didn't leave my head for a few days. The exorcism scens alone puts this up there with my favorite horror films.

6. Train to Busan-I'm not usually big on zombie flicks, but Train to Busan's characters and action scenes were top tier. I was really invested in the conflict at hand, which is bad in zombie film where you know characters are destined to die. But that makes for an engaging film experience!

7. Zootopia-One of the first movies I saw in 2016, and easily one of the best. Who know that a Disney movie that doubles as a parable on classism and racism could be so effective?

8. Moana-Disney has pretty much surpassed Pixar at this point, right? Moana was a memorable experience that broke the mold for Disney princesses. Funny, charming, and exciting, this was another slam dunk for Disney in 2016.

9. Doctor Strange-Misguided whitewashing aside, Doctor Strange was a great origin story for one of my favorite superheroes. The visuals were trippy, mind-bending, and deserving of an Oscar. This film was funnier than I expected, with more visual comedy than in previous Marvel films.

10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story-This may not be saying much, but I think this is the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back. I liked Force Awakens too, but this was the Star Wars film I had always wanted, putting the "War" in Star Wars front and center.

Honorable Mentions: The Witch, Green Room, The Lobster, Star Trek Beyond, Deadpool, The Jungle Book, Finding Dory, The Invitation, among others. 2016 was a great year for film, if nothing else.

P.S. How important is formatting? I didn't want to make my post look like a wall of text so I put spaces between numbers.

Thewonandonly

This year has been a really good year for movies in my opinion. Sure a lot of blockbusters were pure shit, but overall there are some really great films. This year I saw 37 films in theaters which blew my mind because I didn't know I saw so much. Anyway time for the list.

Hacksaw_Ridge_poster.png

1. Hacksaw Ridge
Holy Fucking shit is this movie incredible. I haven't seen a lot of war films, well actually this might be my first besides hurt locker, but I don't see how they can be better than this. Props to Mel Gibson for the directing of the war scenes because they were truly brutal and really gave you a feel for the pure chaos that war brings. Let's also talk about Andrew Garfield. Now previously I have only seen him in spiderman, so I always thought he was just hollyweed's pretty boy, but he absolutely killed it. Spot on accent and you really felt he believed what he was doing. Now after seeing the trailers for silence, which I will see soon, he might be one of my favorite actors, he was that good. Then there was the excellent love story, and that's coming from someone that doesn't like love stories in the slightest, but you could feel the chemistry between them. This movie is phenomenal and left me in shock when I left the theater with just how fucking good it is, see this film.

10_Cloverfield_Lane.png

2. 10 Cloverfield Lane
Another movie that exceeded my expectations. I really liked the first Cloverfield so I was worried about this on not being a giant kaiju film, kongs got me covered tho ;). I was also worried about this being set in a room the whole time and thought it might get stale. Hoo-boy was I wrong. The acting in this film perfect, with John Goodman being the highlight. You start out hating this guy because he's a creep, then you start to feel compassion for him, then nope right back to hating him. John goodman uses his acting skills to make you feel how you are supposed to feel about his character at that point. The last act may have been a little out there, but I didn't mind it and liked the character arc she received at the end of the movie.

Moana-Disney.jpg

3. Moana
Me when the movie started, "Fuck I just got frozened again (I didn't like frozen and mostly don't like musicals)", then me at the end "they'll never know how are all go and your welcome". This is one of the best-animated films I have seen. The animation is spectacular, especially "your welcome" where they mix the 2d with 3d blew my mind. Then the chemistry between Moana and Maui is really special and the arks between them are good.

4. The jungle book
If you would have told me the jungle book would make my top five I would call you crazy. I never really liked old Disney cartoons, but this was just magically. The little boy actor was extraordinary and double so for having no one to act off, and just working with CGI. Also, the CGI is easily some of the best CGI I have seen in a film beating life of pi. Then you have Idris Elba, who does masterful voice work as scar, and you really feel to tension in scenes with him.

5. Dont breath
With 10 cloverfield lane and this, this was the best year for suspense films. I was on the edge of my sit the hole time. Sure it made an akward first date with the turkey baster scene, but man was it good. Fede Alvarez knocks it out of the park again after the stellar and one of my favorite horror films of all in evil dead. I was skeptical going in, becuase the premese sounded dumb, but boy o boy did they suprise me.

6. La La land
Now I really dont like musically as a stated above with moana, but the cinimatography and the ending just elevate it to such hights that I had to add it. This film is fucking beuatuifl with its use of colors and the way a scene is shown. Also the set peices are phenomanal from the beggining car one, to the stars, then ending with the best set peice yet. Really great film with a fantastic ending. Also a plus that its not dark or depressing, hollywood has been on a dark streak latly, so its good to have a colerful cheerful film.

7. Captain America: Civil War
This is one of the top teir super hero movies out there. I didn't think the russo brothers would be able to handle all the character's, but they did. You really feel the tension between bucky, iron man, and captain america at the end fight scene. That's the reason why it made this list tho is it has fucking fantastic fight scenes and corography. The hanger scene is the best superhero fight scene to date. Russo's brothers are marvels Zack snyder, but they can actually make a good story.

8. A monster call
Allright so I took a break smoking, but after like a week I was this and got really high. Well this wasnt the best movie for my state of mind because the first have of the movie I thought I smoked weed laced with LSD. But looking back and thinkiong about it really showed just how clever and good it was. The kid acting was phenomanal exspecially at the end. I will defenatily watch this again while not under some of the strongest weed on the planet.

9. Lights out
Holy shit was this film scary, This had some well made horror elements and some of the scenes were spectacular. The best part about this film is unlike most horror movies, this one shows you the monster at the beggining and don't keep it a mystery. Also they show you how powerful the monster is so that you can feel the real power it has. Good acting to for a horror film and a suprsing ending that isnt cliche.

10. Popstar: Neve stop Never Stopping
The funniest film of the year in my opinion. Sure some people may not like it becuase its way over the top but fuck me is it not hystericlaly and had me laughing the whole time. Sure I saw it high as hell but it still has funny parts making fun of how pop stars act.

1. La La Land - Was a super punch in the gut. A rollercoaster of emotion. A classy ending that leaves you reeling when walking out of the cinema. A tour de force from a director that knows what they want.
2. Moonlight
3. Manchester By the Sea
4. The Arrival
5. Moana
6. Kubo And the Two Strings
7. The Edge of Seventeen
8. Hunt For the Wilderpeople
9. 13th
10. Zootopia

This second half of this year just kicked the shit out of me. What an incredible list of films here. I could very easily re-arrange this list next week if you asked again next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom