• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games NeoGAF Official SEGA SATURN Community

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Retro-bit have finally produced a white Saturn pad:

They are the best looking ones, imo (although I am fond of my grey/blue one)

Al3x1s

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nov 24, 2018
I guess it's better functionally than their initial wired models cos it has extra buttons to use as start/select/home and what not for emulation of other systems or to use as coin/whatever buttons for arcade stuff.

But I'm still happier with my Hori Fighting Commander which is more suitable for PS1 and modern games with its extra pair of shoulder buttons and stuff. Also Retro-bit have yet to mail me the replacement d-pad bits after promising twice so far after intermittent contact over a long time.

I do miss the Saturn style d-pad but given that's what broke on the Retro-bit it left a sour taste. I think I actually prefer having full size for all 6 face buttons instead of the smaller top row though. They're comfier, though perhaps a little harder to press certain trios together with just the thumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: DT MEDIA

Starlight Lotice

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Retro-bit have finally produced a white Saturn pad:

They are the best looking ones, imo (although I am fond of my grey/blue one)
Will this work on PS4? The USB has me intrigued.

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
Well DT MEDIA DT MEDIA you finally made me do it. I found a treasure trove of cheap Saturn games today, and I saw a very reasonably priced Saturn with the Christmas Nights pack in the other day, so I am going to buy a Saturn.

Today I bought 9 games and the ram cart for just under 4000¥. What games?

Street Fighter Alpha.
Panzer Dragoon.
Nights.
Virtua Fighter 2.
Virtua Fighter Kids.
Fighters Megamix.
Fighting Vipers.
Daytona.
Sega Rally.

I found a very reasonably priced copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. My Japanese is almost non existent- is it still worth buying?

Also, I have to get a TV. I think one of those old big box tvs would be better for the Saturn, but they are so hard to find. Is a more modern one acceptable?

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
Enjoy the amazing system!
Thanks man!
If anyone can give advice on what to look out for with buying a tv it would be appreciated. I plan to buy something relatively cheap and small. I am almost clueless about the technology.

Do I have to buy one of those box tvs that everyone had when the Saturn came out? Those are difficult to find and transport.

Will it be difficult to hook up a newer Flat Screen tv (ie not a box)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

ps, it came with this cable:

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Thanks man!
If anyone can give advice on what to look out for with buying a tv it would be appreciated. I plan to buy something relatively cheap and small. I am almost clueless about the technology.

Do I have to buy one of those box tvs that everyone had when the Saturn came out? Those are difficult to find and transport.

Yes, find a CRT TV that supports S-video if you can

Saturn supports S-Video so I'd buy one of those cables, too.

SpiceRacz

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Thanks man!

I remember RCA TruFlat TVs being pretty solid.

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
Yes, find a CRT TV that supports S-video if you can

Saturn supports S-Video so I'd buy one of those cables, too.
CRT is going to be tricky to find. I will see what I can rassle up.

To ask the question in the dumbest way possible: if I get a flat screen with the red yellow and white holes will it be plug and play, or will I still need some kind of adapter?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
CRT is going to be tricky to find. I will see what I can rassle up.

To ask the question in the dumbest way possible: if I get a flat screen with the red yellow and white holes will it be plug and play, or will I still need some kind of adapter?
Nah you won't need an adapter as long as it has the analogue plugs. The scaler is built-in to TVs like those.

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Anyone ever played this game before? It looks like a typical "extreme" mid-90s game

The reviewer said it's still fun to play today, if a little mediocre.

The FMV scenes are interesting. They actually consist of two people watching and taking the piss out of the FMVs made for the game. Weird.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Aug 8, 2007
Man, I've been playing SRW T and it makes me really wanna crack open Rayearth. My copy is pristine still though. I don't think I have even cracked open the jewel case in 15 years. Might burn a copy and load it via PS Kai so I don't have to.

Psittacine

Formerly 'Selbstlos'
Feb 14, 2017
Anyone ever played this game before? It looks like a typical "extreme" mid-90s game

The reviewer said it's still fun to play today, if a little mediocre.

The FMV scenes are interesting. They actually consist of two people watching and taking the piss out of the FMVs made for the game. Weird.
I enjoyed my time with it. It's nothing mind-blowing, but i'd say it's definitely worth a play if you can get it for a good price.

Reactions: DT MEDIA and Kazza

Kazza

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
A website called Mega Drive Shock has just released a translation of then Sega president Hayao Nakayama's 1994 New Year's Speech:

There's some interesting Saturn info. It's interesting that he was already emphasising that the Saturn was to be a 3D machine, even at that fairly early stage (January 17th 1994). He states that he believes 3D is necessary to expand the market to more mature gamers (similar to what Sony would go on to do). He was obviously feeling the pressure from Sony, but the 3DO already appeared to be sputtering out.

Here's an excerpt concerning the Saturn:

We’ll soon be making the transition to the next generation of home consoles. Our upcoming 32-bit console will have a much different architecture than anything we’ve seen yet. Up until now, the focus has been on sprite-based graphics, but now we’re moving on to polygon-based graphics. The foundation of next-generation hardware will be support for CG-like graphics. Specifically, we’re using chips such as the VDP and DSP that are capable of very fast instruction processing. An important concept that has appeared recently is MIPS. This refers to how many millions of instructions can be processed in one second. The CPU in our 32-bit console is about 50 MIPS. However, we’re also including the VDP and DSP to increase the speed of calculations, which brings it up to about 800 MIPS. What that means is the console will be capable of performing 800 million instructions per second. Without a doubt, it’s going to be a very powerful console, and essentially a high-grade computer.

You might wonder why it’s necessary to build such a high-performance console. The reason is that the current types of games have reached their limit. The market did not grow very much from the 8-bit console generation to the 16-bit console generation. Why? 16-bit consoles were basically straightforward extensions of 8-bit consoles, and because of that, games did not evolve significantly. What, then, is necessary to create such new styles of games? The answer is polygon-based computer graphics.

Moving forward, we will be focusing on questions such as how far we can take polygon-based graphics, to what extent we can incorporate digitized video into creating new genres of games, and what age ranges, beyond the typical 8-20 year olds, we can reach with such new forms of entertainment.

Last October, I started to get some slight headaches with all the reports of major consumer electronics companies such as Matsushita and Sony entering the game console market. As president, I was already feeling a lot of pressure with Sega being forced to revise its expected results downward and with the worsening global economic situation, and on top of that, the 3DO was released before Christmas in America and Sony announced they were releasing their console at the same time as us. However, after going to America and learning more about the situation, I’m feeling more confident. One reason for that is the realization that Sega knows games better than any of them. Many people are saying that the 3DO isn’t selling well because its games are no good. However, I think there’s more to it than that. Specifically, a machine at that level of performance with a $700 price tag is just not competitive.

The full speech is well worth a read:

John Mullins

May 19, 2020
Saturn is my GOAT console.

There were some PS exclusives we never got but that was more than compensated for with the stellar AAA SEGA lineup. Mostly we were jealous of the lack of transparency. We had to put up with the ghetto mesh effect unless it was a power dev like Lobotomy willing to take on the challenge. Just looks at those smoke rings :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DT MEDIA

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
Saturn is my GOAT console.

There were some PS exclusives we never got but that was more than compensated for with the stellar AAA SEGA lineup. Mostly we were jealous of the lack of transparency. We had to put up with the ghetto mesh effect unless it was a power dev like Lobotomy willing to take on the challenge. Just looks at those smoke rings :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gamers became really obsessed over Generation 5 transparencies. Even to this day, they won't shut up about it. You'd think it was the end of the world. The funny thing is that the dithering effect has been in use since the dawn of videogames, and was particularly common on the Sega Genesis, yet few ever really bothered to notice, most likely because that was before everyone had HDTVs and never knew such things existed.

One of the great things about playing classic videogames is learning to live with the hardware limitations that once drove everyone batty. The Playstation 4 is a million times more powerful than any of the Gen-5 consoles. Just relax. If we can be cool about PS1's warping zig-zag textures and N64's frame rates, we can be cool about Saturn's mesh effects.

(Also, those mesh transparencies blend together when you use composite cables, so there's also that.)