• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Games NeoGAF Official SEGA SATURN Community

Weilthain

Banned
Aug 6, 2013
My Saturn was dead when opened on Christmas morning that was a bummer!

best looking console ever.
Some great games.
End of the day a disappointment but still loved.

Reactions: DT MEDIA

daninthemix

Jul 7, 2010
That's one heck of an OP!

I had a Saturn back in the mid-90s and loved it. Recently played through Panzer Dragoon Zwei + Saga, Guardian Heroes and Shining Force 3 using the amazing Retroarch Beetle-Saturn emulator (it is literally perfect, somehow).

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Great OP, glad to see the Saturn thread reincarnated!

I'll just add some videos and links here to supplement DT MEDIA's great work.

The Saturn Hardware

The Saturn's hardware is famously complex and over-engineered, but very powerful in the hands of talented programmers (at 3D as well as 2D). There are now some great videos available detailing the history of the development of the hardware, what was inside the system and what it was like to program a game for the system:

There is also a great interview with the designer of the hardware here:

Highlights
• More information on Sega of America’s desire to use the 68020 in the Saturn
• Changes made in the Saturn design in response to the PlayStation
• Difficulties that third party developers had with the Saturn, and the lack of early support from Sega
• Sony’s strong support for third party developers
• Sega intentionally limiting Saturn production due to being unwilling/unable to bear the losses they were taking on sold units
• The strong advantages Sony had in manufacturing cost and flexibility
• Ken Kutaragi telling Sato that Sega should become a third party to Sony

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
The Launch of the Sega Saturn

The North American Saturn launch has become a thing of legend (and not in a good way), but as DT MEDIA already detailed, the Saturn actually got off to a very good start in Japan, and after closer inspection of the facts and information available to the protagonists at the time, it is easier to be a little more forgiving of Sega's mistakes. It wasn't all just about that "$299" E3 Playstation bombshell, as these more nuanced videos show:

After the surprise US launch and subsequent drought of games, the Saturn did finally kick into gear that same holiday season. While it would prove to be too little, too late in terms of grabbing market share from Sony, it was a time of pride and hope for us Saturn owners:

Last edited:

Scotty W

Neo Member
Sep 29, 2019
I've developed a strange obsession with the Saturn version of Powerslave. I've been travelling for a few years, so it is unfeasible to get a console and game; and the PC version sounds unworthy. Sigh.

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
The Games

Of course, the games are the most important part of any console, and the Saturn had a lot of them (well over 1,000 by most counts). Although you can disagree with the rankings (I sure do), this well-edited 10 minute video of 100 of the best Saturn games provides a decent overview:

For those with the time and inclination, here is a 3 hour and 4 minute video of all 1107 games:

For a more curated view, you can't do much better than watching a Sega Lord X video. He has so many to choose from that I'll just add a few of my favourites here:

No self-respecting Saturn collection would be complete without a deep dive into the huge Japanese library:

With over 1,000 games, there were bound to be a few stinkers. Here are some to avoid:

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
I've developed a strange obsession with the Saturn version of Powerslave. I've been travelling for a few years, so it is unfeasible to get a console and game; and the PC version sounds unworthy. Sigh.
Nothing strange about that, it's a great game. Saturn emulation is pretty good these days. I really hope Exhumed can get a PC remaster someday (even a port would be fine).

phil_t98

Oct 10, 2014
Omg Sega Rally was so good on this, me and my friend used to spend hours trying to perfect times. I think on the first stage we did actually get the perfect time that couldn’t be beat. Hard to tell as this was pre internet and couldn’t see what others where doing

the graphics at the time were perfect and gameplay was spot on, the cars felt good to drive and with the Sega Saturn wheel it felt exactly like the arcade version.

I’m disappoint that this game has never got a re-release in its arcade form, it was such a fun game

Mistershine.

Jan 20, 2018
I was one of the few that picked up a saturn when it released and had a lot of games (including Panzer Dragoon Trilogy and Radient Silvergun), 2 lightguns, 2 arcade sticks, a Virtua Wheel, 4mb card, and a multitap. I lent it all to my brother in law who took it to his girlfriends house and left it there when they split up. I was super gutted.

I love my new saturn but only have a few games for it (both NiGHTS and Christmas Nights are included though) and I'm thinking of chipping it and installing the both the 50/60hz and UK/US/JP switches.

A few games worth mentioning that aren't in the OP:

1. Torico. An FMV adventure game.
2. D. A horror game, again FMV.
3. Virtual Hydlide. A 3D RPG.
4. Deep Fear. Underwater survival horror.

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Advertising for the Sega Saturn

Oh no, they dragged Ice Cube into this, didn't they?

It's always fun to look back at the advertising of the day. It tells you so much about the culture of the time. Sega of America's "It's out there" campaign (referring to the surprise launch and faintly reminiscent of the later Dreamcast line of "It's thinking") is a really interesting one. It combines lots of old 90s Genesis ad tropes about cool skater/dancing dudes with the kind of futurism engendered by the imminent arrival of the futuristic sounding year 2000.

It starts off very esoterically with these two bald...people?...aliens?...making cryptic remarks about a new era...

...it then moves onto safer ground with this typical 90s cool dude...

...before taking another weird turn, as this bodybuilder introduces the hardware...

...and then goes into even stranger territory with this bearded biker chap in a tiara introducing the games...

...before finishing with what can only be described as a bunch of retards going nuts in a movie theatre...

It's well worth taking the time to watch the full promotional film here:

Whatever you think of SoA's adverts, at least you can't accuse them of being boring, which is more than you can say about the UK Saturn ads (which I don't actually remember ever seeing, which probably says a lot about what kind of budget they had to work with):

Anyone who knows anything about the Saturn knows that it was the Japanese ads featuring the legendary Segata Sanshiro that really stole the show as far the Saturn was concerned:

Here's a fine collection of them here (complete with English subs):

That said, given the popularity of Virtua Fighter in Japan, this was probably the only ad Sega ever needed there:

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
A couple of addenda to the ad post:

What is Sega's obsession with gross close-ups of blue eyes? I wonder if somebody at Sega was really fond of the "Saturn eye" from back then, or if it is just a coincidence that they decided to copy it over two decades later:

Random Saturn ad which probably wouldn't fly in 2019:

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Saturn Collecting and Emulation

The bad news is that Saturn prices have really shot up these past few years, with even the previously cheap Japanese games becoming more and more expensive. The good news is there are now more ways than ever to play Saturn games.

Firstly, for those with a deep love for the Saturn, and even deeper pockets, you can go the traditional collecting route. Here are some videos to help you along your way:

For those who would like to own the hardware but don't have the cash for a large collection (especially games such as the infamously expensive Panzer Dragoon Saga), there are now devices which allow you to play ROMs off an SD card, rather than from a CD:

Unfortunately, the creator of Rhea and Phoebe (appropriately named after two moons of Saturn) doesn't seem capable of keeping up with demand, leading to a lot of pissed off potential customers. There is hope though, as another chap by the name of Professor Abrasive is apparently working on a similar device.

Contrary to popular myth, Saturn emulation is in a pretty good place right now. You don't even need a super powerful PC, although a Raspberry Pi won't cut it. I managed to play some 2D games using my super basic Intel 620 HD internal graphics laptop, but some of the 3D ones were a little slow in terms of framerate. Here are some guides to the most up to date emulators:

Finally, although many great games remain trapped on the Saturn, some games have been ported to modern systems. Xbox 360 is a surprisingly good source of ported Saturn games, and most (if not all) of these appear to be backwards compatible with the Xbox One. The two biggies on the 360 are Treasure's two Saturn masterpieces, Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes. In additon to those two, there is also the HD version of Nights Into Dreams, as well as arcade perfect versions of many Saturn Model 2 ports, such as Virtua Fighter 2, Fighting Vipers, Daytona USA, Virtua On etc. PS3 seems ok on the Model 2 arcade games front, but is missing the two Treasure games, and PC seems to only have Nights (unless you're willing to search out the old boxed Sega PC CD games)

Of course, the best solution would be for Sega to just release a Saturn Mini or a Saturn Collection on modern systems. Come on Sega, as great as they are, we've all played enough Megadrive games by now.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Glad to see this back up!

Sad tk say that my Saves died a few months back where I was on the final level of Burning Rangers. :(

Collection:

Paid £96 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, £42.45 for Groove on Fight, £40 for Burning Rangers, £35 for Story of Thor 2 and £90 for Dragon Force.

Sakura Wars only £5 and Clockwork Knight/Baku Baku Animal £10.

Daytona and SEGA Rally came with the broken Saturn I bought years ago for £16.

I since got a Switchless Region Modded Saturn for £60.

Edit: DOH! Forgot my Cotton 2 game!!!

I paid just £62.50 for this!!!

Last edited:

alf717

Jan 11, 2010
Pennsylvania
Got my Saturn back in the early 2000's to play the exclusive stuff Capcom added in the Saturn version of Mega Man 8. Saturn's game collection is pretty good but a lot of the gems are Japanese exclusive.

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Everyone laughed at me when I picked a Saturn over a PSX.

I dried my tears with Sega Rally.
I used to bring my Saturn over to my PS1-owning friend's house whenever his parents were away. We would always have debates over which was better, Sega Rally or that PS1 Formula One game that was insanely popular back then. I think the answer is obvious...

Saberyoko

Jan 30, 2019
I just wish I could emulate that thing perfectly...aways want to end Shinning Force 3 disc 2.

Last edited:

DT MEDIA

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
I was one of the few that picked up a saturn when it released and had a lot of games (including Panzer Dragoon Trilogy and Radient Silvergun), 2 lightguns, 2 arcade sticks, a Virtua Wheel, 4mb card, and a multitap. I lent it all to my brother in law who took it to his girlfriends house and left it there when they split up. I was super gutted.

I love my new saturn but only have a few games for it (both NiGHTS and Christmas Nights are included though) and I'm thinking of chipping it and installing the both the 50/60hz and UK/US/JP switches.

A few games worth mentioning that aren't in the OP:

1. Torico. An FMV adventure game.
2. D. A horror game, again FMV.
3. Virtual Hydlide. A 3D RPG.
4. Deep Fear. Underwater survival horror.

Those are all great videogames. Rest assured that I will be adding more games to the “essentials” list. I just wanted to get the OP published after a week of working on the project.

It’s too bad that your brother lost your Saturn, but on the bright side, at least he managed to have a girlfriend and videogames together. Back in those days, that was extremely rare and most boys had to pick one or the other. Hah!

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Why The Saturn Failed Commercially

Most videos on why the Saturn failed (and why Sega left the console making business) tend to repeat the same old rumours and myths, but these two videos bring a fresh and more grounded perspective on the commercial performance of the console:

Of course, being a commercial failure doesn't mean it was a failure as an enjoyable games console, as many of us who actually owned it at the time will attest. 4 years of life, over 1,000 games and over 10 million consoles sold is nothing to be sniffed at.

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Music on the Saturn

For many people, the Saturn would have been the first time they had ever heard CD quality music on a console. Those who decided to pick up Panzer Dragoon at launch would have been blown away by the trumpets on the opening scene (as well as that beautiful first level track):

This is a nice compilation of some of the best Saturn music:

And here is yet another Sega Lord X video:

Apparently the Saturn used the same soundchip as the Model 2 and 3 arcade boards, the Yamaha YMF292. If anyone has the knowledge of how this affected the sounds of the Saturn, then I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure there is a massive distinction between PS1 and Saturn soundtracks in the way that there was with the SNES and Megadrive.

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Ok, that's it from me for the time being. I gave away my Saturn and games to my cousins in the late 90s and don't really want to spend large amounts of money buying everything back. Unless Sega releases a mini console or a compilation on modern consoles, then I think emulation is going to be the route for me, but even that will have to wait until I buy a nice PC late next year.

In the meantime, I hope everyone has fun with their Saturns!

BloodFalcon64

Jan 9, 2018

Wish I bought one sooner or at the very least bought the right games when they were cheaper. I'm stuck with disc only for most of my stuff but that's okay since it's a big space saver.

I can get away with better custom case artwork also.

Last edited:

phil_t98

Oct 10, 2014
The second Panzer dragoon game was amazing to, the first was ok but it realy found its feet with the second game. Not revisited it in a good while so no idea how it stands up by today’s standards but it’s one game I would love to be remade.

I know they are remaking the first which is good but the second game was far far better

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Damn, what a thread. Saturn was my first 32-bit console and while I mostly transitioned to PlayStation a few years later, I've got some really fond memories of the system and its unique lineup of games.

Zero7

Neo Member
Oct 3, 2019
I borrowed my cousins Saturn back in the day. I enjoyed games like Panzer Dragoon, Die Hard Arcade, Knights, Sega Rally etc. I don't regret choosing a PSX over it though

Al3x1s

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2018
Best system ever, I wish we got more of its Japanese library with stuff like Grandia, Princess Crown, GunGriffon 2, Dragon Force 2 and 2/3rds of the freaking Shining Force III trilogy... Add emulation infos maybe, Mednafen, SSF, RetroArch, EmuVR (now complete with lightgun support so that you don't need CRT/actual lightguns or clunky Wii style compromises, 1:1 aiming baby), there are plenty ways to get great results these days even though it has the reputation of a hard to emulate system due to the troubles people had in the early years compared to PlayStation emulation or whatever.

Last edited:

Azelover

Dec 3, 2004
I was a kid, and the Saturn was my first 32-bit system. So it was quite magical to me.

NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter. I especially loved the music from these games. I'd put them in the stereo and would begin to make art, because I used to enjoy drawing and painting. I have very fond memories.

Jul 30, 2018
I bought one for $30 around 2002 for Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III. I tried a bunch of other games (Burning Rangers, Albert Odyssey, Dragon Force, Virtua Cop, etc.) but they didn’t really click.

A lot of the most interesting games I would have liked were Japan-only.

Aug 28, 2019
The Nintendo DS used quads? Well well, the most successful gaming platform of all time used quads too, quads win! ;)

In all serious, I'm pretty infatuated with this system as I've learned more about it and SEGA's missteps surrounding it. I still feel there was so much more SEGA could've done to make it succeed if they spent their money better. Like, take the Gameworks stuff. Great concept behind those, but did they really need to pull in huge names (commanding huge piles of $$$) like Steven Spielberg? That's money that could've been put towards more 1st party AAA Saturn games or securing arrangements with 3rd parties the way Sony was (and the single biggest reason Sony even got the marketshare they did).

Regardless, Saturn seems like a super-fun system. I still have to invest into more of its games when I can, but I feel in a lot of ways it's still got the highest ratio of "pick-up-and-play" games of that gen you can just jump into. That gen and 6th gen were the last ones where every player felt truly unique and different from each other.

...and please give us a Saturn Mini soon, SEGA. I got my Genesis Mini, I did my part (y)

alf717

Jan 11, 2010
Pennsylvania
Apparently the Saturn used the same soundchip as the Model 2 and 3 arcade boards, the Yamaha YMF292. If anyone has the knowledge of how this affected the sounds of the Saturn, then I'd love to hear it. I'm not sure there is a massive distinction between PS1 and Saturn soundtracks in the way that there was with the SNES and Megadrive.

Not sure if this is the info you are looking for but Mega Man 8's soundtrack on the Saturn sounds better than the PS version. Now I couldn't tell you if the Capcom devs tweaked the music or if they used the advantages of the Saturn sound chip but you can hear the differences if you do a side by side. Some examples are the opening stage music, mid boss music, and Aqua Man's stage. I believe there are more but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Merzbear

Aug 16, 2012
twitter.com
I want to play games on my Saturn that require saving. Can the Action Replay cart store save data or do I have to change the batteries? I have SRW F/F Final and wanna play them eventually.

Last edited:

DT MEDIA

Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
I want to play games on my Saturn that require saving. Can the Action Replay cart store save data or do I have to change the batteries? I have SRW F/F Final and wanna play them eventually.

The Action Replay stores saved game files but cannot save directly from games. You’ll have to transfer those files to the system battery.

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Underrated system with a superior library to the Dreamcast.

Also, shout out to Worlwide Soccer '97. Best soccer game ever made.

Last edited:

Merzbear

Aug 16, 2012
twitter.com
The Action Replay stores saved game files but cannot save directly from games. You’ll have to transfer those files to the system battery.
So I gotta fix my battery then transfer the saves to the AR from the system battery? Just a bit worried that the data will eventually be lost.

DT MEDIA

Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com
So I gotta fix my battery then transfer the saves to the AR from the system battery? Just a bit worried that the data will eventually be lost.
Just go down to the nearest grocery store and buy a pack of CR2032 batteries. One battery will last for 3-5 years in your Saturn. You needn”t worry about losing any save files.

Al3x1s

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2018
Rechecking the OP, wow, I never knew about that trilogy of Gundam Blue games (apparently short ~5 mission stuff released within the span of a year, like 1 game split to 3 bits), only the other Gundam Side Story stuff had come to my attention before.

It looks like GunGriffon's mission based gameplay meets Virtual On's faster pace. Better 3D than GunGriffon even and better performance too going by the videos, it looks like a solid 30fps to me despite the faster more arcadey pace thanks to the lock on.

Love the in-engine cut scenes just like GunGriffon's. Wish Saturn had more competed 3D action games like this/wish they released here so people wouldn't be so down on its 3D. The OP actually says the games run at 60fps but I doubt that, I found some 60fps videos too and the gameplay wasn't.

I'll probably still prefer the GunGriffon games as games as they're more sim-like and mechwarriory in that aspect. And they're no slouch in the graphics either, just the draw distance and performance brings them down in comparison, the mechs/vehicles/explosions look COOL. But thanks for this!

Last edited:

DT MEDIA

Jan 7, 2018
Chicago, IL
www.dtm-arts.com

SEGA SATURN: THE ESSENTIALS II

I wanted to continue adding videogames to the Saturn Essentials list in the OP, but there are hard limits on the number of characters and photos in any given post. So I'm going to publish a second volume here in a new post and continue to share micro-reviews of great Saturn games. In addition, some of the games previously listed w/o screenshots will be re-posted here. I will also be updating this post until I run out of space, which would probably result in "The Essentials III."

Much thanks to everyone for their support of Sega Saturn. Please continue to share your stories and opinions and help spread the word.

Virtua Fighter Remix

Sega AM2's "make that ten commandments" do-over of Virtua Fighter boasts deep gameplay and smooth texture mapped polygon models. Beats the pants off Tekken and Toshinden, if anybody had bothered to look.

Fighting Vipers

Sega AM2's flashier, trashier cousin to Virtua Fighter features characters with breakable armor and caged arenas that can be smashed apart in spectacular finishing moves. JP edition features the hidden character Pepsiman.

Zero Divide: The Final Conflict

3D fighter featuring robots whose armor can be smashed apart and varied walled arenas. Visually spectacular and full of style. Gameplay is a pure VF ripoff and suitably fluid, precise and deep.

Street Fighter Alpha 2

While SF Alpha/Zero 3 is a genuine classic, many fighting freaks insist that Alpha 2 is the real masterpiece in the Capcom series. There's something to be said for the fluid gameplay, terrific stage design and cast that has yet to become bloated.

Sokko Seitokai: Sonic Council

Thrilling 2D brawler from Sega offshoot SIMS (with help from Gamest Magazine) that should be make Street Fighter fans feel perfectly at home. The anime stylings, robust animation and cool effects are sublime.

Sonic R

Racing game with heavy platforming elements, this joint project between Traveller's Tales and Sonic Team is the definitive "love or hate" title on Saturn. Spectacular visuals and catchy Europop music, but very slippery controls.

Impact Racing

Any combat-racing videogame that leans heavily on Spy Hunter for inspiration is a winner in anyone's book. Graphics are extremely fast and fluid, combat is intense and demanding, and the whole presentation shines.

Choro Q Park

Charming and cutesy racing game featuring those adorable Penny Racers. Great variety in course designs and collectible cars, with solid 3D graphics and bluesy music. Try not to think of Mario Kart and you'll be perfectly fine.

Pebble Beach Golf Links

T&E Soft's take on golf sims has an undeniable cheese factor due to its 1995 production values, but gameplay is sweetly addictive and the elevator music is just wonderful. And pro golfer Craig Stadler is the perfect cherry on top.

Shienryu

Shienryu is a classic arcade shooter with landscapes, enemies, weapons and explosions that are ripped straight from Raiden. But when everything is so confidently polished and refined, who cares? It looks, sounds and plays great and that's what counts.

Guardian Force

Omni-directional scrolling shoot-em-up featuring futuristic tanks armed with 360-degree turrets. Terrific stage designs, end bosses and weapon power-ups make for an excellent experience that reminds me of Namco's Assault.

The House of the Dead

Take Virtua Cop, throw it into a 1970s grindhouse flick, jack up the difficulty through the roof and the result is an arcade classic. Look past the chunky Minecraft textures, grab two Stunners and have a blast frying zombies.

Rockman X4

Spectacular addition to Capcom's legendary franchise feels like a true 32-bit Mega Man, with sumptuous visuals, compelling level designs and devious end bosses. It almost makes you wish 3D polygons never existed.

Elevator Action Returns

Brilliant '90s action-shooter whose measured pacing and tense action reminds you of a missing link between Metal Gear Solid and Contra. The pixel art is fluidly animated, enemies explode and burn in a satisfying way, and it's all smashing good fun.

Sega Ages

Sega raids their classic arcade vaults for this essential series. Vol. 1, released in the West, includes Outrun, Space Harrier and Afterburner. Other JP releases include Galaxy Force 2, Power Drift, Phantasy Star, and Castle of Illusion/Quackshot.

Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits

A fantastic collection of "Golden Age" arcade classics: Defender, Defender 2 (Stargate), Robotron: 2084, Joust, Sinistar and Bubbles. It's worth it just to play Robotron, although I do often prefer Llamatron on Atari ST.

Capcom Generations 1st - 5th Collections

Capcom arcade series that features many of their most beloved classics, including 194X, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Commando, Mercs and Street Fighter 2. Forgotten Worlds, Strider and Final Fight are notable omissions, but this is a terrific collection.

Saturn Bomberman Fight!

A radical shakeup for the classic Bomberman series, featuring 3D polygon arenas and 4P melee battles. Wonderful in its own right, feels like Desire to Saturn Bomberman's Blood on the Tracks, if that makes any sense.

Mass Destruction

Command a tank and shoot, smash and burn everything that moves and everything that doesn't. This is the kind of pure arcade game that made the Amiga and Genesis famous. And it looks and sounds fantastic to boot.

Resident Evil

Capcom's survival horror classic the defined a genre arrived on Saturn a year later than PSX with new monsters and a new battle mode, while retaining all the chills, tension and cheap jump scares we all know and love.

Iron Storm

Outstanding World War II strategy game, part of a long running series by Sega. Features most of the major battles of the war, the ability to play on all sides, and highly impressive 3D polygon battle scenes. War buffs will love this.

Culdcept

The first in a long-running series of fantasy strategy games that combine elements of board games like Monopoly and Magic: The Gathering. Art design is luxurious and production values are among the best ever seen on Saturn.

Wachenroeder

Sega's Strategy-RPG with a fantastic expressionist steampunk design and mature storyline. Visuals combine hand-drawn illustrations, CG movie clips, 2D pixel art and 3D polygons, all to great effect. Music by Ian McDonald of King Crimson fame.

Terra Phantastica

This Strategy-RPG features gorgeous art and color design reminiscent of Western renaissance art. Command of armies is similar to Dragon Force and battles require real strategy and thought. A highly polished experience from Sega.

Sakura Wars 1 & 2

Extremely popular adventure that combines a Strategy-RPG with an anime soap opera. Spawned a long-running series, including TV, radio and stage productions. A long-awaited English translation will be available this year.

Grandia & Grandia Digital Museum

Saturn's premier RPG courtesy of Game Arts. Features wonderfully colorful and detailed visuals that combine 3D environments with 2D character sprites. It's all glorious, cheerful fun that stands tall against Final Fantasy 7. A true classic.

Princess Crown

An Action-RPG that features glorious 2D pixel art design and extremely fluid animation. Combat strikes a unique balance between real-time and turn-based combat. The creator of this game would later start the game studio Vanillaware (Odin Sphere, Muramasa).

Myst & Riven

Cyan's surreal adventure took the computer gaming world by storm, and it feels just as fresh and compelling on Saturn. Puzzles are damned hard but follow a clean logic, and the worlds have a haunting lived-in quality that rings in your memory.

Dino Island

Game Arts interactive cartoon that is created entirely with Saturn's 2D graphics engine as opposed to FMV clips, resulting in extremely clean and sharp images. Very funny and entertaining even for non-Japanese speakers.

Bust-A-Move 2 & 3

You wouldn't think that bouncing bubbles in competitive matches and puzzles could be the most addicting drug ever created, but 20,000 iPhone app clones say otherwise. Taito's original formula is still the best and will never be surpassed.

Puyo Puyo 2 & 3

The most influential puzzle game series since Tetris, where you chain together matching jelly bubbles and rain combo attacks onto your opponents. Gameplay is simple but reveals great tactical depths. God Bless Compile.

Digital Pinball: Necronomicon

Outstanding pinball simulation from Kaze, featuring several varied tables and musical contributions by Dream Theater's John Petrucci. Makes excellent use of Saturn's "480" high resolution mode.

Techno Motor

A comprehensive music tool that allows you to create, arrange and play videogame chiptune songs, all. Most of the important text is in English, making this accessible to music lovers & creative types. The visualizers & illustrations are especially nice.

Dezaemon 2

Create your own 2D spaceship shoot-em-ups with this construction kit. You can create every element of a game, from visuals to music to sprites and bullet patterns. A thriving cult following has created hundreds of games over the years.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
Regarding Sakura Wars English Translation, is there any way to play it Legit on a Region Free Saturn?

I own the first game on Saturn (and second game on Dreamcast), and would love to somehow play the game on native hardware if possible (I fear using a burned CD though).

Oh and regarding Groove on Fight. I believe they may have wanted to release it in the US/EU as the Menus and Credits are in English! (Same with some characters using Digitized Voice Samples in English too)

It is just the dialogue that is in Japanese.

Last edited:

Kazza

Gold Member
Oct 6, 2018
Ghen Wars review by the youtube channel reviewing every US Saturn game in order of release date:

What makes this one a bit special is the interview clips with the developer which are interspersed throughout (I believe I linked to the full interview in the previous Saturn thread). It really shines a light on what poor third party Saturn developers had to go through circa 1995:
- poorly translated technical documentation
- badly optimised 3D engines
- an arrogant Sega, holding third parties to high standards that they couldn't uphold themselves (the developer says he spent over a month fixing the polygonal glitching problem on the request of Sega, only to notice that Sega's own Daytona USA suffered from the same problem and yet was still released)
- how the pissed off media often didn't give Saturn games a fair look
- how the surprised launch was a shock to third party developers too

Al3x1s

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2018
Why would a third party developer want a 3D engine to be given to them by SEGA? Or is "engine" defined as something different there? They already mentioned poor tools and documentation though so they mean something else.

Last edited:

The Brooklyn Brawler

Formerly 'Davidj1178'
Oct 27, 2019
Hi everyone

Firstly fantastic thread loving all the reviews. Signed up to the site purely for this thread but been reading for a while.

Just ordered a grey jap Saturn with controller and cables along with an action replay.

Got a basket full of games saved until I make a decision which ones I want but theres so much awesome out there its tough

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazza and DT MEDIA