• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Official SEGA SATURN Community

Meant to also ask - has anyone bought from a seller on Amazon UK by the name of "yes!japan"?

His games are a LOT cheaper than any other seller on Ebay or Amazon.

For example he is selling g gunbird for £28 whilst others are selling it for £50 - £60

Theres a small bit in all his ads that say some games may not have instructions, box, manual etc but the condition of most says "used - good condition"

Its not just the odd game that's cheaper so you could spot what ones would be just the disc etc. Every game is at least 30-50% cheaper than anyone else with free postage from japan

Last edited:

Kazza

Hi everyone

Firstly fantastic thread loving all the reviews. Signed up to the site purely for this thread but been reading for a while.

Just ordered a grey jap Saturn with controller and cables along with an action replay.

Got a basket full of games saved until I make a decision which ones I want but theres so much awesome out there its tough

Welcome to the site. I hope you have fun with your new Saturn and let us know what you think of the games. Is this the first time owning the console?

No I've owned a few over the years since the official release but always UK pal versions.

Always wanted a Japanese one. Had been seriously considering a neogeo aes and had been reading every available thread on here about them as I am a huge neo geo fan but apart from the few below £100 games I am never going to afford the ridiculous priced ones, nor would I want to spend that much cash on a game

So a jap Saturn seemed the next best choice. It has tons of neo geo conversions at decent prices without the neo CD load times, I am a huge sega fan and also dying to play all the jap games I've never tried.

Got about £150 left over to spend on games and not sure whether to get about 10 decently priced games I'm after or start with a couple of more expensive ones first

Hudo

Meant to also ask - has anyone bought from a seller on Amazon UK by the name of "yes!japan"?

His games are a LOT cheaper than any other seller on Ebay or Amazon.

For example he is selling g gunbird for £28 whilst others are selling it for £50 - £60

Theres a small bit in all his ads that say some games may not have instructions, box, manual etc but the condition of most says "used - good condition"

Its not just the odd game that's cheaper so you could spot what ones would be just the disc etc. Every game is at least 30-50% cheaper than anyone else with free postage from japan
Have you checked out Nin-nin? I've never bought anything from them but maybe they're worth a look?

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/74-japanese-import-saturn-softs-systems-accessories

Kazza

is anyone planning on getting this 25th anniversary book? It looks interesting, I hope they release an English translation next year for the Western anniversary.

71JWZvtF79L.jpg

81YcLPbP0yL.jpg

91vxLT8ociL.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
ZfYfBK4l.jpg

SEGA SATURN JAPANESE VIDEOGAME RANKINGS (1-100)

In the year 2000, Sega Saturn Magazine JP conducted a readers poll to rank every videogame in the Saturn library. Readers submitted their votes using a 1-10 scale, and all games were then ranked in order. A book was then published by Soft Bank titled Saturn no Game wa Sekai Ichii with the full listings of 945 games.

Let's take a look at the first hundred rankings and see what Japanese fans loved the most (games released in the US in bold):

1. EVE Burst Error
2. Grandia
3. Langrisser 5: The End of Legend
4. Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo Yu-No
5. Machi
6. Pia Carrot e Youkoso!! 2
7. Sakura Taisen 2: Kimi, Shinitamou Koto Nakare
8. Linda Cube Kanzenban
9. Culdcept
10. Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers

11. Shining Force III: Scenario 2
12. Himitsu Sentai Metamor V
13. Cross Tantei Monogatari: Motsureta Nanatsu no Labyrinth
14. Thunder Force V
15. Chaos Seed
16. Princess Crown
17. AZEL: Panzer Dragoon RPG
18. J.League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 2
19. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou
20. Grandia Digital Museum

21. Super Robot Wars F Kanketsuhen
22. X-Men VS Street Fighter
23. Vampire Savior
24. Sakura Wars
25. Lunar Silver Star Story MPEG
26. Dead or Alive
27. Shining Force III: Scenario 3
28. Advanced World War: Sennen Teikoku no Koubou
29. Silhouette Mirage
30. Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga

31. Soukyugurentai
32. Kakyuusei
33. Soukyugurentai Otokuyo
34. Pia Carrot e Youkoso!!
35. Marvel Super Heroes VS Street Fighter
36. Policenauts
37. Radiant Silvergun
38. Idol Janshi Suchie-Pie II
39. Dino Island
40. Virtual On (FOR SEGANET)

41. Gungriffon II
42. Doukoku Soshite…
43. Marie no Atelier Ver. 1.3: Salburg no Renkinjutsushi
44. Shining Force III: Scenario 1
45. Virtua Fighter 2

46. Game Tengoku
47. Super Robot Wars F
48. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
49. NiGHTS

50. Another Memories

51. Kidou Senkan Nadesico: The Blank of 3 Years
52. Fire Pro Wrestling S: 6 Men Scramble
53. Digital Pinball: Necronomicon
54. Gungriffon: The Eurasian Conflict
55. Soldnerschild
56. Layer Section
57. Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Collection
58. Quiz Nanairo Dreams Nijiirochou no Kiseki
59. Sega Rally Championship
60. Falcom Classics II

61. Madou Monogatari
62. Magic Knight Rayearth
63. Devicereign
64. Desire
65. Meltylancer Re-inforce
66. Sega Rally Championship Plus (X BAND)
67. Baroque
68. Magical Drop III
69. Sega Ages: Fantasy Zone
70. Langrisser IV

71. Bulk Slash
72. Stellar Assault SS
73. Hanagumi Taisen Columns
74. Real Sound: Kaze no Regret
75. Tomb Raiders
76. Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Yuna 3: Lightning Angel
77. World Advanced Daisenryaku: Koutetsu no Senpuu
78. Princess Maker 2
79. Lunar Silver Star Story
80. Virtua Fighter

81. Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series Vol. 3: Tabidachi no Uta
82. Langrisser Dramatic Edition
83. Dodonpachi
84. Yuukyuu Gensoukyoku 2nd Album
85. Tokimeki Memorial Drama Series Vol. 2: Irodori no Lovesong
86. Mass Destruction: Otousan Nimo Dekiru Soft
87. Can Can Bunny Premiere 2
88. Courier Crisis
89. Battle Garegga
90. Real Mahjong Adventure "Umi-He": Summer Waltz

91. Vampire Hunter
92. Yuukyuu Gensoukyoku
93. The King of Fighters ‘97
94. Darius Gaiden
95. Christmas NiGHTS
96. Virtua Cop

97. Marica: Shinjitsu no Sekai
98. Sonic Jam
99. Angelique Special 2 (Premium Box)
100. Waku Waku Puyo Puyo Dungeon

Some quick thoughts:

- Japan's tastes are obviously different from Western gamers, greatly preferring RPGs and Adventure games over Arcade titles. "Visual Novels" are a very popular genre. In addition, they don't appear to be nearly as obsessed with graphics and 3D polygons, as the dominance of 2D games demonstrates. Many US players look to videogames as eye candy or something to "show off the console" to friends, which often means the cutting edge of technology.

- These game rankings don't equate to "best selling" titles. Many of the most beloved Saturn classics sold modestly, such as EVE Burst Error (190,000 copies sold), Yu-No (220,000) and Langrisser V (90,000). Most shocking: Thunder Force V and Soukyugurentai only sold 20,000 copies each. Ouch.

- Virtua Fighter 2 was Saturn's top seller at 1.7 million copies sold. Sega Rally also reportedly sold over a million, but I don't have numbers available. The original Virtua Fighter sold 710,000 copies and ranks high in many gamers polls in Japan. Again, they don't seem to obsess as much over graphics.

- There are barely any sports titles in the complete list, and only one in the Top 100 (J.League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou! 2) which is, in fact, a manager sim. Again, this may be a cultural difference, or this may be due to the voting pool. Pretty much anywhere in the world, computer nerds don't like to play sports.

- Fascinating upsets: Dead or Alive (#26) ranks higher than Virtua Fighter 2 (#45), Soldnerschild (#55) ranks higher than Dragon Force (#204), Street Fighter Zero 2 (#102) ranks higher than Street Fighter Zero 3 (#267).

- Courier Crisis at #88? Really? That has to be the biggest surprise in the entire list. It was almost universally derided in the West, and even today, is only begrudgingly respected for its resemblance to Crazy Taxi. Oh, well, the heart wants what it wants. I'll have to give that one another spin.

- The five worst-ranked Saturn games in the entire poll: Standby Say You! (#941), Planet Joker (#942), Starfighter 3000 (#943), Fist (#944) and Death Crimson (#945). Ouch.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

I found this terrific VHS video for Virtua Fighter on Sega Saturn. Released in Japan, this video includes a brief overview of the Saturn and VF game options, a detailed collection of combos and strategies (complete with player on joystick so that you can learn the moves), and a tournament featuring the legendary "VF Masters" (the same guys who would later create Anarchy in the Nippon and appear in a thousand tournaments).

All in all, this is a terrific video. Why didn't Sega of America release this in the USA? Seriously, what was wrong with those jerks? The reason why Virtua Fighter never became a hit here was because the kids couldn't learn how to play the game. They only knew Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, and, let's be honest, only really just mashed buttons or slammed out the same two moves over and over. VF has a degree of precision and timing that is absolutely lethal to button-mashers, and its gameplay system needs to be properly taught.

Instead, VF became known as The Game With The Glitchy Graphics, and everybody flocked over to Battle Arena Toshinden on Sony Playstation, which looked a lot prettier and offered SF2-friendly moves. But let's face it: Toshinden was a shit fighting game, and VF smashes it to bits. And can we also say something? The glitches in Virtua Fighter really aren't that bad.

Of course, Sega later released Virtua Fighter Remix, which cleaned up all the graphics and added texture mapping to the fighters, but they only released it via mail order to those who sent in Saturn registration cards. It never became the new pack-in title for the system, and was released commercially only in Minnesota and Canada (and is now extremely rare). Again, what was Sega of America thinking?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

B6uBMdvl.jpg

I saw that YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World has been remade for Playstation 4 and Nintendo Switch with all new artwork and illustrations and an English translation. A fan translation was previously completed in 2011, and by all accounts, the new official script is equally good.

I'm not familiar with the "Visual Novel" genre that was very popular in Japan and especially on Sega Saturn. This title is praised for its innovations in writing, audio and gameplay structure, specifically the A.M.D.S. system of branching story timelines. It is also known for its "adult" content which leans heavily on the pervy side, like similar genre titles like EVE Burst Error, Desire, Kakyuusei and Pia Carrot.

In any case, Yu-No is considered a classic of the genre. This article at Hardcore Gaming 101 examines the game in depth, explaining its qualities and strengths, as well as discussing the remake and a special 8-bit platformer made exclusively for the Switch.

Turnbl

I've got a massive Saturn sized hole in my gaming history and after a good few months of research and planning I've finally pulled the trigger on a white Japanese unit, with picoPSU. I've chosen an initial list of 30 games to aspire to.

The console is in excellent condition but came with nothing, so it's seemed a near military operation in ordering a PSU, a CYSNC RGB Scart cable, a 3D controller and a 4MB ram cart (via a Vampire Savior purchase). My new retro-bit 2.4GHz pad arrived yesterday.

Being based in the UK, a couple of really helpful web pages i've found are this one detailing which PAL games run ok on NTSC consoles and this one detailing any major game differences between region versions (for example the additional character in Decathlete & Winter Heat). Also here's a list of games needing the 4MB and 1MB ram carts.

I'm probably most excited about playing Sega Rally, Burning Rangers and Elevator Action Returns.

However tonight, my guilty pleasure will be a few games of Jonah Lomu Rugby in anticipation of the World Cup Final tomorrow! I formally welcome my new Saturn overlord into my household.

Last edited:
I've got a massive Saturn sized hole in my gaming history and after a good few months of research and planning I've finally pulled the trigger on a white Japanese unit, with picoPSU. I've chosen an initial list of 30 games to aspire to.

The console is in excellent condition but came with nothing, so it's seemed a near military operation in ordering a PSU, a CYSNC RGB Scart cable, a 3D controller and a 4MB ram cart (via a Vampire Savior purchase). My new retro-bit 2.4GHz pad arrived yesterday.

Being based in the UK, a couple of really helpful web pages i've found are this one detailing which PAL games run ok on NTSC consoles and this one detailing any major game differences between region versions (for example the additional character in Decathlete & Winter Heat). Also here's a list of games needing the 4MB and 1MB ram carts.

I'm probably most excited about playing Sega Rally, Burning Rangers and Elevator Action Returns.

However tonight, my guilty pleasure will be a few games of Jonah Lomu Rugby in anticipation of the World Cup Final tomorrow! I formally welcome my new Saturn overlord into my household.
I was looking for a white one but couldnt see any at a decent price. Grey one cost me £49.99 with controller power cable and av cable.

Here's a question.....I only have an LCD TV now. The one in the living room doesnt have scart as it's pretty new but has the yellow/red/white sockets

However the bedroom TV is smaller so will probably use that. It's a bit older and DOES have a scart socket but how do I know if its rgb?

I used to have a dreamcast and the TV I had then had 2 scart sockets and only 1 worked with the rgb scart cable

This TV only has 1 socket and doesnt say anything next to it

Turnbl

I was looking for a white one but couldnt see any at a decent price. Grey one cost me £49.99 with controller power cable and av cable.

Here's a question.....I only have an LCD TV now. The one in the living room doesnt have scart as it's pretty new but has the yellow/red/white sockets

However the bedroom TV is smaller so will probably use that. It's a bit older and DOES have a scart socket but how do I know if its rgb?

I used to have a dreamcast and the TV I had then had 2 scart sockets and only 1 worked with the rgb scart cable

This TV only has 1 socket and doesnt say anything next to it

I had the idea of it as a Christmas present from the missus too... but I don't think I can wait that long...

As for your fighter question... depends what you like? SFZ3 is stunning, Vampire Savior is excellent and a bit more novel, Marvel vs SF if you're a big Marvel fan.

What's the bedroom TV make/model? (will be on a label on the back). Most old LCDs with scart normally have socket 1 as RGB but you probably won't notice the difference anyway as the picture on LCD over scart will be pretty ropey anyway.

Turnbl

What's the best connection for me to use on an LCD then?

Probably still scart, but I don't think you'll see any benefit to RGB scart as the tv itself will be converting the analogue input to a digital output and losing any benefit.

If you've got room for a CRT then that's the way to go, but understand if you can't.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

xkIwOyxl.jpg

wQr84OLl.jpg

44Invnfl.jpg

m3MaO4gl.jpg

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (1996, Quest and Riverhillsoft)

When you look at the sheer number of quality 2D videogames on Sega Saturn that would remain in Japan, your heart breaks. The obsession with 3D polygons at a time when 2D pixel art was reaching its apex feels all too shortsighted, cruel, foolish. And while it's true that the videogame-playing public was responsible for much of this shift, they were relentlessly conditioned and prodded by software publishers and marketing executives all the way.

In a more sane world, Tactics Ogre would be scooped up for an immediate release and hailed as a classic by fans of strategy and adventure games. It certainly looks gorgeous with its wonderful art and color design, its brilliant world layouts, its vast cast of intriguing characters, and its immensely deep and involving gameplay system? The Tactical-RPG was coming into its own and Saturn was leading the charge with such classics as Dragon Force, Sakura Wars, Terra Phantastica, Wachenroeder, Soldnerschild, and, of course, Shining Force III. Yet, sadly, the genre was almost entirely ignored, aside from the valiant efforts of Working Designs, for whom we shall always remain grateful.

Tactics Ogre was eventually released in the US on Sony Playstation, the console that sparked the whole 3D polygon obsession in the first place. There's no small dose of irony in that, but also reflects how the decisions of a single executive, Bernie Stolar (first with Sony, then Sega) could greatly impact the videogame industry. Imagine if his self-imposed policy of "No 2D, No RPG, No Anime" games never existed.

In any case, Tactics Ogre is a hallmark for Tactical-RPG videogames. It's the direct successor to Ogre Battle and directed by Yasumi Matsuno, who would later create Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts at Square. Both titles first appeared on the Super Famicom and would later appear on PSX and PSP.

Tactics Ogre always felt a little more involving and challenging than many other strategy games, with its focus on classes, nonlinear story branching and moral alignments of Lawful, Neutral or Chaos. The story can take many twists and turns depending on choices made by the players that result in multiple endings. The political intrigue and complex plotting were inspired by the brutal civil war in the former Yugoslavia and reflected Matsuno's commentary on such events as the Bosnian Genocide.

If you're looking for an English-language version of Tactics Ogre, the Playstation is your best choice, although a fan translation of the Super Famicom version is also available. A Sega Saturn fan translation would be near the top of my wish list, but no such plans are in the works. This is precisely why I wish Sega would implement their own version of Virtual Console and finally give these classic games a second lease on life.

In a 2006 Famitsu reader poll of the 100 greatest videogames ever made, Tactics Ogre was ranked seventh. Very high praise, indeed.

Turnbl

I will do that when I am home cheers

In the event I use the living room 4k telly what's the best option there just the read yellow and white cable or the green blue etc ones

Saturn doesn't output component natively (green/blue/red cables) and reading up on it if you find a component cable for a Saturn, it's only really converting the RGB signal to component with a slight degradation. It should be a better signal still than composite (the yellow cable). However the big caveat is your new TV will need to support 240p over component. So again more research to do depending on the TV!

xkIwOyxl.jpg

wQr84OLl.jpg

44Invnfl.jpg

m3MaO4gl.jpg

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (1996, Quest and Riverhillsoft)

When you look at the sheer number of quality 2D videogames on Sega Saturn that would remain in Japan, your heart breaks. The obsession with 3D polygons at a time when 2D pixel art was reaching its apex feels all too shortsighted, cruel, foolish. And while it's true that the videogame-playing public was responsible for much of this shift, they were relentlessly conditioned and prodded by software publishers and marketing executives all the way.

In a more sane world, Tactics Ogre would be scooped up for an immediate release and hailed as a classic by fans of strategy and adventure games. It certainly looks gorgeous with its wonderful art and color design, its brilliant world layouts, its vast cast of intriguing characters, and its immensely deep and involving gameplay system? The Tactical-RPG was coming into its own and Saturn was leading the charge with such classics as Dragon Force, Sakura Wars, Terra Phantastica, Wachenroeder, Soldnerschild, and, of course, Shining Force III. Yet, sadly, the genre was almost entirely ignored, aside from the valiant efforts of Working Designs, for whom we shall always remain grateful.

Tactics Ogre was eventually released in the US on Sony Playstation, the console that sparked the whole 3D polygon obsession in the first place. There's no small dose of irony in that, but also reflects how the decisions of a single executive, Bernie Stolar (first with Sony, then Sega) could greatly impact the videogame industry. Imagine if his self-imposed policy of "No 2D, No RPG, No Anime" games never existed.

In any case, Tactics Ogre is a hallmark for Tactical-RPG videogames. It's the direct successor to Ogre Battle and directed by Yasumi Matsuno, who would later create Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts at Square. Both titles first appeared on the Super Famicom and would later appear on PSX and PSP.

Tactics Ogre always felt a little more involving and challenging than many other strategy games, with its focus on classes, nonlinear story branching and moral alignments of Lawful, Neutral or Chaos. The story can take many twists and turns depending on choices made by the players that result in multiple endings. The political intrigue and complex plotting were inspired by the brutal civil war in the former Yugoslavia and reflected Matsuno's commentary on such events as the Bosnian Genocide.

If you're looking for an English-language version of Tactics Ogre, the Playstation is your best choice, although a fan translation of the Super Famicom version is also available. A Sega Saturn fan translation would be near the top of my wish list, but no such plans are in the works. This is precisely why I wish Sega would implement their own version of Virtual Console and finally give these classic games a second lease on life.

In a 2006 Famitsu reader poll of the 100 greatest videogames ever made, Tactics Ogre was ranked seventh. Very high praise, indeed.

It's also sadly happening about High End Graphics and bloating budgets for Open Worlds in today's world.

We have missed on so much not just from the Saturn but from the TurboGraphix 16/PC Engine too because marketing errors were made.

I have TO but I find it hard to get anywhere in the game, and I enjoy TRPGs very much!

I wanna try Sakura Wars too should there be an English Translation available.

At least I have these images to remember it by regarding TO:

5qqzlfH.png

WkIb8gE.png

akSzsfD.png

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Does anybody use RetroArch for Saturn emulation? I've set it up okay I think, I've mapped my Saturn USB Gamepad just fine (in xinput mode) but now I want to map a normal dual analog controller (DualShock4 with DS4Windows for xinput mode again) as the Twin Stick controller.

Like I probably want the left stick to be left stick, right stick to be right stick (obviously) and then the triggers as the triggers (duh) and probably the shoulder buttons as the buttons on top of the sticks.

When I change the Quick Settings input from Controller to Twin Stick however the mapping menu shows the same old A B C X Y Z L R Start and dpad directions and such so I have no idea what corresponds to each input of the Twin Stick to then map it how I want on the physical pad.

I really want to try the likes of Gungriffon II with that setup instead of the standard gamepad controls. And of course for Virtual On also and to also map the Dreamcast Twin Stick similarly to play the sequel there.

I'm using the Beetle core (Mednafen core) for most games and it works fine, I'll probably retire my actual stand alone Mednafen (with Mednaffe GUI) and just keep SSF as back up Saturn emulator.

Edit: so there's a default mapping after all but it wasn't kicking in because I had done a core-wide remap for my Saturn controller. I deleted that temporarily to make a game specific remap for Gungriffon II with the Twin Stick set up in mind. Now it works out of the box so to speak. The gamepad's left stick works for speed and strafe control, the right stick works for pitch and yaw, the right trigger works for fire and the left for fire support. But I'm still missing two functions, jump and weapon select as found on the Twin Stick's topmost buttons. I'm almost there, someone help me finish!

Last edited:

Alexios

Windows had somehow fucked up my controllers, maybe because of all the switching on my part, from dual shock 4, to dual shock faked as an Xbox controller via DS4Windows, to a dinput Saturn USB pad, to said Saturn USB pad switched to xinput mode and back. After deleting a bunch of redundant controller entries from my device manager in safe mode and deleting all the RetroArch configs and reinstalling the whole thing, all the games actually work out of the box. Including Twin Stick games, with all input functions intact. I've done separate mappings for the Twin Stick games now and normal Saturn USB pad mappings for the rest Saturn games and it all works wonderfully (for now at least). I have to say Virtual On is as cumbersome as ever (but fun) but Gungriffon II has almost modern FPS controls. Of course it's a giant walking tank (with a jet pack!) so not quite as agile and rather clunky but yeah, those are some great controlling steel beasts. A dual analog controller with the triggers/bumper buttons makes a very nice impression of the Twin Stick. And I love the supporting fire command this sequel swapped the night vision mode out for!
retroarch_2019_11_03_4lkee.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_j6k1w.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_m9jtj.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_bxkt2.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_afj30.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_7tk9d.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_fekxi.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_cgju8.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_lhjp0.png
retroarch_2019_11_03_01kdk.png

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Good News, Everybody! The Saturn Junkyard is conducting an online survey of the most popular Sega Saturn videogames. Anyone can submit their personal Top Ten as well as any additional comments.

Simply follow the link below to submit your votes. It should only take a moment. I highly encourage all the NeoGAF regulars to send their top tens.

Sega Saturn All-Time Favorite Videogames Poll

Personally, I always have an impossible time with these things, as there are simply far too many great Saturn titles to play, and whatever I'm in the mood for at any given time is really just a matter of appetite. If you're hungry for shoot-em-ups, that's all you'll want to play. If you're hungry for action-adventures, that's all you'll touch.

I can give you my Saturn Top Five: Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally Championship, World Series Baseball 98, Powerslave, Panzer Dragoon Saga. After that, I'm just picking names out of a hat. I'd probably find myself struggling to rank a Top 30 or even Top 50. And, of course, I'm still discovering new games for the first time, either by digging through the vaults or embracing the newest fan translations like Shining Force III Trilogy, Policenauts, Grandia and Sakura Wars. Part of me secretly believes that the Japanese gamers were right all along, and the real Sega Saturn masterpieces are all those anime visual novels.

So it's a never-ending journey, which is a nice problem to have. Anyway, be sure to vote in the poll.

Does anyone collect games from all different region or do you stick to jap, USA, pal only?

This Saturn I bought is jap as theres a lot of jap games I want. Was also wanting sega rally but shop across from my work is selling the pal version for £3 so going to grab it on my break

Naibel

The Brooklyn Brawler The Brooklyn Brawler , I salute you, fellow Japanese Saturn owner ! Hope this fantastic machine will bring you joy for years to come. It certainly did with me !

I also jumped from a PAL Saturn to a NTSC-J Saturn. That's just where the great games are, and the white Saturn looks so damn good ! Bought it for 60 € and never regretted it.

As for your question, I personnaly would go with Vampire Savior. It's the later entry of the Darkstalkers franchise, and it looks freakin' amazing with the 4MB RAM card. It's just a bit pricier than Vampire Hunter, which is a very fine game in and of itself. If you find that game for cheap, go get it !

Naibel

You found them at fine prices ! At that cost, I would be "Why not both ?", as they both are worthwhile additions to your library anyway.

I'm not a fighting game expert, so maybe people find Hunter's gameplay to be slightly better. I played both and I certainly had fun with both. The graphics on Savior are just so good it would be a crime to miss out.

One thing I've been reminded of after buying sega rally today - the boxes for pal games are absolutely atrocious

Cardboard glued onto plastic that ends up peeling off, and the cases are always damaged so that they dont click shut properly

Naibel

Haha yeah, that's one of the many reasons why I stopped collecting PAL games. They take quite the space on the shelf with their longbox design, and they are unreliable as eff. I open one of those boxes and every other time, the CD just pops up of its flimsy support because I forced a bit too much. Why they didn't go with proper jewel cases like in Japan, I just don't know.

But in all fairness to Sega of Europe, they did address the situation and created plastic boxes for later PAL Saturn games (in early 1997, I guess). My Sonic R, Quake, Winter Heat, Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga games all have those boxes, and they are much better. The glued cardboard has been replaced by a proper paper sleeve inside plastic protection, the big manual no longer falls when you open the box and the support holding the CD is firmer. The only flaws of those boxes IMO would be the size being the same and the fact that some boxes are quite difficult to open for some reason. My copy of Athlete Kings with the plastic box was nearly unopenable. I really though the game would be trapped in it forever haha !

Sadly it was a bit too late in the console's lifespan, as many of the Saturn best-sellers were released during the cardboard era unfortunately.

Last edited:
Haha yeah, that's one of the many reasons why I stopped collecting PAL games. They take quite the space on the shelf with their longbox design, and they are unreliable as eff. I open one of those boxes and every other time, the CD just pops up of its flimsy support because I forced a bit too much. Why they didn't go with proper jewel cases like in Japan, I just don't know.

But in all fairness to Sega of Europe, they did address the situation and created plastic boxes for later PAL Saturn games (in early 1997, I guess). My Sonic R, Quake, Winter Heat, Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga games all have those boxes, and they are much better. The glued cardboard has been replaced by a proper paper sleeve inside plastic protection, the big manual no longer falls when you open the box and the support holding the CD is firmer. The only flaws of those boxes IMO would be the size being the same and the fact that some boxes are quite difficult to open for some reason. My copy of Athlete Kings with the plastic box was nearly unopenable. I really though the game would be trapped in it forever haha !

Sadly it was a bit too late in the console's lifespan, as many of the Saturn best-sellers were released during the cardboard era unfortunately.

One of SEGAs many terrible decisions that era, but think of it this way those boxes will last longer than the US Equivilant!

Alexios

Yeah... one of my Shenmue jewel cases is busted... And I haven't kept any other games except Shenmue 1 & 2 intact to see if I could replace it (and probably not anyway as they're different due to housing more discs each) :(

Last edited:

Kazza

One thing I've been reminded of after buying sega rally today - the boxes for pal games are absolutely atrocious

Cardboard glued onto plastic that ends up peeling off, and the cases are always damaged so that they dont click shut properly

You both reminded me how bad the PAL cases were. Many of mine never quite managed to stay closed either, and the CD would often fall out as soon as the case opened. My Resident Evil case on the other hand was a nice DVD style plastic case. The EA ones were the ugliest - a big, plastic VHS style case:

images

Still, I'm very nostalgic for those early PAL cases. They just felt very "next gen" at the time.

Kazza

New podcast about the Sega Saturn featuring DF Retro's John Linneman (our very own D dark10x ):

The Console RPG Quest returns this week, and in this episode we're tackling perhaps the most interesting console of them all [download link here].

Digital Foundry's John Linneman, host of the excellent DF Retro series, joins us to talk about both the RPGs and the tech behind the Saturn, which managed to have an immense impact on gaming history despite being an abject failure (in America). From Panzer Dragoon Saga to obscurities like Linkle Liver Story, there's a lot to cover in this one, so join us as we dive in!

Special bonus: Some Death Stranding review chatter, and we recap all of the announcements from BlizzCon too!

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Here's a great gameplay video of Assault Suit Leynos 2, the direct sequel to the Genesis/Mega Drive cult classic (titled Target Earth in the USA). It's a 2D action-shooter with a difficulty curve that's off the charts, but if you're a fan of these kind of games, you'll absolutely love this one.

There are loads of enemies, weapons and explosions, as well as some massively large boss battles. You can select from a number of different mechs and can customize your weapon power-ups, including lasers and flamethrowers. You are also armed with a shield which is extremely useful in heavy firefights. Finally, you are joined with several others in mechs who pipe in with dialog now and then. All the dialog is in Japanese, and as best as I can tell, nobody is asking me to do a barrel roll. So that's nice.

Saturn is blessed with a large roster of giant robot videogames, nearly all of which are excellent and worth playing. If you're looking for something along the lines of "Sega Genesis On Steroids," this one will nicely fit the bill.

Top Bottom