• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’m playing Atelier Ryza on a CX OLED and I feel superior to every person I’ve ever met.

MVxQ.gif

Elcid

Banned
I have a 65" C9. I love the damn thing. It's so damn thin though, it's thinner than my cellphone. Putting it up on the stand was NERVE WRECKING.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I think buying my B9 was worth it just for TLOU 2 alone. Holy fuck.

This game is making me see the beauty of OLED.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm so hesitant to get an OLED but the B9/C9 ticks every box. I'm sick of looking for a TV and I always end up coming back to these Lg TVs. I'm tempted to say fuck it I'm gonna get it and just deal with the risk of burn in.

I used to have a Plasma tv before the Tv I have just now and that got burn in. I used that thing for about 6 years and as far as I can remember there was only burn in at the bottom/middle of the screen from leaving the tv on through the night every night with the news on.

I'm guessing that the screen tech on these OLEDs is far superior to Plasma so I'm kinda trying to convince myself to go for it.

GametimeUK

I'm so hesitant to get an OLED but the B9/C9 ticks every box. I'm sick of looking for a TV and I always end up coming back to these Lg TVs. I'm tempted to say fuck it I'm gonna get it and just deal with the risk of burn in.

I used to have a Plasma tv before the Tv I have just now and that got burn in. I used that thing for about 6 years and as far as I can remember there was only burn in at the bottom/middle of the screen from leaving the tv on through the night every night with the news on.

I'm guessing that the screen tech on these OLEDs is far superior to Plasma so I'm kinda trying to convince myself to go for it.

I can't comment on the omg term use of the device, but I got my C9 a week ago and it has absolutely blew me away. My games look fantastic now and Gsync has been a game changer on my PC. I no longer have to give my games a stupid amount of overhead to account for a few frame drops under 60fps. It's great.

Keihart

Anyone has a quick and dirty , easy to do calibration video for HDR?
I want to re calibrate mine, but i'm finding it a slog using the files i found on the AVS forum.

Jigga117

Of course OLED still works fine in a bright room but the advantages of OLED are diminished.
Not seeing a diminished quality in my picture with direct sunlight that comes in to the right of the tv. I don’t know why this has been claimed as some issue when it isn’t. Plenty of owners have posted videos disproving this claim on YouTube. I live with both TVs I know personally 😂. All the bloom you get from Qled and LCD is worse than the claim your making

My 77c9 in my living room.
cP9P5Wj.jpg

Last edited:
Got my new 55" E9 today. What a beauty from design to picture. Love the floating design as much as the picture quality on this bad boy. Coming from a B7, def notice brighter HDR, cleaner picture, sharper color, more detail, and no tearing in games make it a nice little upgrade. Not night and day, but there nonetheless. Btw, got this for 1599 shipped from Value Electronics, man amazing experience from beginning to end. Great deal, fast shipping, excellent service even following up and giving tips, and overall going to them from now on. Authorized seller of LG oleds.
je1MGK.jpg

je1Lvc.jpg

Last edited:

Keihart

That’s completely different than claiming it isn’t good to use in a bright room. It doesn’t need to get brighter than QLEDs when the overall quality of the picture continues to beat out those TVs
i mean, i do prefer OLEDs, but at max back light, it's pretty puny against my window.

Elcid

Banned

I had an XBR55929 for YEARS and couldn't replace it because it didn't seem like many TVs were a worthy enough upgrade for the price. The 65" C9 finally won me over like you said, it ticked every box for me a I got it for only 2200 bucks. My kids have been using it a TON the past 2 months for silly games due to the quarantine and I have yet to see burn-in. The TV has a few settings and tricks built in to prevent burn-in and reset pixels.

Ulysses 31

Not seeing a diminished quality in my picture with direct sunlight that comes in to the right of the tv. I don’t know why this has been claimed as some issue when it isn’t. Plenty of owners have posted videos disproving this claim on YouTube. I live with both TVs I know personally 😂. All the bloom you get from Qled and LCD is worse than the claim your making

The strengths of OLED, not the overall picture quality. You think you'll see them perfect blacks in a bright room as well as in a dark(er) room? The brighter your room, generally the brighter the TV must get to maintain "punchy colors". :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

What claims did I make about blooming? :lollipop_worried:

Jigga117

The strengths of OLED, not the overall picture quality. You think you'll see them perfect blacks in a bright room as well as in a dark(er) room? The brighter your room, generally the brighter the TV must get to maintain "punchy colors". :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

What claims did I make about blooming? :lollipop_worried:
I never said you made claims about blooming. That’s what happens with that tech. I find that more of an issue than bright rooms. I don’t have an issue with mine. I just think it is a bit weak to try and make a claim that doesn’t affect everyone’s environment/setup. Just like having the highest NITs doesn’t give you the best picture that some people like to claim

Bankai

and
If you're seriously considering a C9 I would hurry up and buy one. It's last years model and is replaced by the CX. Whatever is in stock now = all there is.

Because of this, I bought a C9 a couple of weeks ago myself. I prefer it over the CX, because of DTS passthrough, higher peak brightness in HDR and no oddities in firmware at the moment. HDMI 2.1 features are the same, compared to CX. So no downside when it comes to gaming.

Bankai

Got my new 55" E9 today. What a beauty from design to picture. Love the floating design as much as the picture quality on this bad boy. Coming from a B7, def notice brighter HDR, cleaner picture, sharper color, more detail, and no tearing in games make it a nice little upgrade. Not night and day, but there nonetheless. Btw, got this for 1599 shipped from Value Electronics, man amazing experience from beginning to end. Great deal, fast shipping, excellent service even following up and giving tips, and overall going to them from now on. Authorized seller of LG oleds.

Good stuff! No tearing in games is only a thing if VRR is supported by the device. You have a GSync PC and/or Xbox One?

I sold mine cause I been moving all over the place recently and expect to be moving alot the next 5 years. Lol I even have my PS4 Pros in storage. For some dumb reason I took my OG PS4 with me.

My next OLED will be a Sony though. I find their designs to be better than LG’s. Gg

Reactions: MrS

Xtib81

They can probably just replace the panel...why would they replace the E9 with the C9 (I mean, I know why but how would they authorize that with it being a significant downgrade?)

When I had panels replaced on my (much older) OLEDs, they were able to do this. Maybe not with the E9 because it's more 'all glass' design?

I don't know man, I would be pretty upset if that's the end result. One of the most frustrating/egregious instances of poor grey uniformity I've seen...

Edit: redditers are saying they can issue a replacement panel and you will keep the original stand.

Thanks for replying. I'll see what happens but I'm gonna stand my ground. I'm already pissed that I have to wait a fucking week for a technician to come, like WTF seriously !? But that's the best I can do for now.

Ulysses 31

Quite a shock going from an QLED(Q900R) to a CX. It takes getting used to the more natural colors of OLED as opposed to the bright lush colors of QLED. 👀

I thought the standard SDR picture modes way too dim(25 OLED light for FILMMAKER, really?) for my liking and after some tweaking, I did get a lot of brightness and popping colors back that I'm used to from Samsung. :lollipop_grinning:

HDR on the other hand, looked bright and vivid which reminded me of QLED but the OLED was sharper overall thanks to the better contrasts.

PC looks better right away without having to mess with colors.

Yeah, you really need a dark room to get the most out of OLED.

I do miss the brightness and no burn in peace of mind thought. :p

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Wanted to get an LG CX during Black Friday this year, but now I'm having doubts because of a small thing. The LG C9 apparently has full HDMI 2.1 and the LG CX doesn't. What I mean by this is that the LG CX only supports 10-bit color depth, while the LG C9 supports 12-bit color depth. Is this a problem with the next-gen consoles in the future? I don't know enough about TV's to know if I should worry about this. I just want the best device for a certain budget.

Jigga117

Wanted to get an LG CX during Black Friday this year, but now I'm having doubts because of a small thing. The LG C9 apparently has full HDMI 2.1 and the LG CX doesn't. What I mean by this is that the LG CX only supports 10-bit color depth, while the LG C9 supports 12-bit color depth. Is this a problem with the next-gen consoles in the future? I don't know enough about TV's to know if I should worry about this. I just want the best device for a certain budget.
Both TVs and all TVs today are 10bit panels. The only difference is one is 40gbps and the other is 48. That only difference is that 48Gbps can do 12bit 4k@120hz. The displays can only do 10bit 4k@120hz Look at the chart and see what is required for both bits and resolution. LG learned they didn’t need a full bandwidth 2.1 port so they reallocated the resources to video processing for the 2020 models. At the end of the day no display or manufacture needs to brag it is full bandwidth when we know that full bandwidth isn’t needed for these displays today or in the future until displays that are native 12bit can benefit from 48Gbps

22ueIOZ.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Both TVs and all TVs today are 10bit panels. The only difference is one is 40gbps and the other is 48. That only difference is that 48Gbps can do 12bit 4k@120hz. The displays can only do 10bit 4k@120hz Look at the chart and see what is required for both bits and resolution. LG learned they didn’t need a full bandwidth 2.1 port so they reallocated the resources to video processing for the 2020 models. At the end of the day no display or manufacture needs to brag it is full bandwidth when we know that full bandwidth isn’t needed for these displays today or in the future until displays that are native 12bit can benefit from 48Gbps

22ueIOZ.jpg
Great, thank you for the clarification. There's no need for 12-bit color depth since the displays themselves can only go to 10-bit. Even IF the PS5 and Xbox Series X would be able to use the full 48Gbps bandwidth, the TV still doesn't have use for it, because of the display.

J3nga

TL;DW

You would need 10000 nits to get the advantage of 12 bit panel which no tv currently has.

V2Tommy

Multi-plasma owner here that made the jump to a CX. Other than plasma uniformity, everything is an upgrade 10x.

JeloSWE

Quite a shock going from an QLED(Q900R) to a CX. It takes getting used to the more natural colors of OLED as opposed to the bright lush colors of QLED. 👀

I thought the standard SDR picture modes way too dim(25 OLED light for FILMMAKER, really?) for my liking and after some tweaking, I did get a lot of brightness and popping colors back that I'm used to from Samsung. :lollipop_grinning:

HDR on the other hand, looked bright and vivid which reminded me of QLED but the OLED was sharper overall thanks to the better contrasts.

PC looks better right away without having to mess with colors.

Yeah, you really need a dark room to get the most out of OLED.

I do miss the brightness and no burn in peace of mind thought. :p
It has nothing to do with OLED, only that Samsung tricks a lot of people into buying their TVs by exaggerating the color saturation. Sony's LCDs are among the most color accurate TVs you can get.

Ulysses 31

It has nothing to do with OLED, only that Samsung tricks a lot of people into buying their TVs by exaggerating the color saturation. Sony's LCDs are among the most color accurate TVs you can get.
Chill bro, it wasn't an attack on OLED, it was more a commentary on the different color science LG and Samsung use.

LG/Sony focuses more on displaying what the creators intended, Samsung editorializes content to make the colors pop more. It's personal preference.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Chill bro, it wasn't an attack on OLED, it was more a commentary on the different color science LG and Samsung use.

LG/Sony focuses more on displaying what the creators intended, Samsung editorializes content to make the colors pop more. It's personal preference.
Haha no worries, I'm currently with Sony Z9F Master series which is a VERY good TV for HDR and SDR and colors, omg. I've had two Sony and two Samsungs, Sony have really good colors and image quality but the Samsungs were so problematic in many areas I gave up and returned them. As for OLED, I'm considering trying the new LG CX 48" to see how it's HDR stacks up against my current 1800 nits.

Ulysses 31

Haha no worries, I'm currently with Sony Z9F Master series which is a VERY good TV for HDR and SDR and colors, omg. I've had two Sony and two Samsungs, Sony have really good colors and image quality but the Samsungs were so problematic in many areas I gave up and returned them. As for OLED, I'm considering trying the new LG CX 48" to see how it's HDR stacks up against my current 1800 nits.
I can already tell you that the auto brightness limiter kicks noticeably when a large area(>50%?) of the screen get bright. If you value brightness, think twice about the CX. 👀

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Damn. The cx48 is about as much as my monthly salary... I need a patreon or something. Apparently, being engineer is not enough to get one of those babies :D

pesaddict

Banned
je1MGK.jpg

je1Lvc.jpg
Welcome my fellow E9 brethren.

Ulysses 31

For those thinking of using the CX as a work monitor 👀

CrysisFreak

Banned
So how different is burn-in risk between a 2017 model and a 2020 model irl, realistically?
I have a B7, man that first day was glorious, but I got one dead pixel and some burn in too. It's still glorious because the burn in is only visible when the whole screen is red lmao.

Ulysses 31

So how different is burn-in risk between a 2017 model and a 2020 model irl, realistically?
I have a B7, man that first day was glorious, but I got one dead pixel and some burn in too. It's still glorious because the burn in is only visible when the whole screen is red lmao.
I've yet to see any foto's of a c9 with burn in so I'd guess that's a testament of the burn in resilience of the newer models(c9 and up) which made me try out the CX. I have an LG EF950V from 2016 where I noticed burn in back in 2018.

Newer models have things like pixel refresher/shift and logo luminance adjuster which weren't on my 2016 model.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Yeah. My C9 automatically turns off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity (when using my PC). And if you pause a movie, the screen goes black and a fireworks screensaver starts. They also have this mode that very, very, slightly moves the entire image on your screen so that if you are on a channel with a logo or something that is stationary, you don't have to worry about burn-in. I have had zero problems so far.

Jigga117

Yeah. My C9 automatically turns off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity (when using my PC). And if you pause a movie, the screen goes black and a fireworks screensaver starts. They also have this mode that very, very, slightly moves the entire image on your screen so that if you are on a channel with a logo or something that is stationary, you don't have to worry about burn-in. I have had zero problems so far.
This is only for internal apps and Airplay2. This doesn’t extend to connected HDMI devices. Wish it did

_Justinian_

Gold Member
This is only for internal apps and Airplay2. This doesn’t extend to connected HDMI devices. Wish it did
When I lock my PC, the TV automatically puts up those images of paintings and cycles through them. But while I am using windows, I have the taskbar automatically disappear when I am not using it. When I am using a game console or something and have to pause for awhile, I will just turn the TV off.

Dolomite

Looking for an OLED for around $550, am I out of luck?
I could go as high as $700 but my GF would literally have my head

Top Bottom