• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
OLED brightness is vastly underrated. My C9 with OLED Light set to 80 in Game mode after the sun goes down is eye-searing to me, LOL. Compared to plasma, OLED brightness is literally night and day. I can’t imagine how bright those QLEDs and other LED TVs can get if OLED is considered dim in comparison :messenger_dizzy:

Ulysses 31

OLED brightness is vastly underrated. My C9 with OLED Light set to 80 in Game mode after the sun goes down is eye-searing to me, LOL. Compared to plasma, OLED brightness is literally night and day. I can’t imagine how bright those QLEDs and other LED TVs can get if OLED is considered dim in comparison :messenger_dizzy:
I went from QLED to OLED I do miss the brightness of QLED. >.>

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How come? I LOVE TruMotion, especially the "smooth" setting. Looks lifelike and gets rid of most of the stuttering during action scenes in movies and anime. I guess everyone has their own tastes. Or am I doing something wrong?
Use what you like best.

Smooth introduces way too much soap opera effect for me. Clear looks very natural with good quality sources. True 4K footage with Clear motion looks almost SOE-free except for fast-moving stuff at the edges of the screen, and stuff like fire where you can see some motion interpolation.

The advantages of True Motion vary wildly with different sources. I see this especially with User settings. Older movies start showing SOE with Dejudder set to 3, while I noticed more modern films look natural at 3 and start looking artificial at 4. Dejudder set to 5 will have SOE no matter the source.

Most people recommend setting Deblur to 10, but I can’t stand it if it isn’t coupled with some heavy dejudder.

I’d be interested in user opinions on the new Cinema Clear settings and BFI on the new LG CX. BFI is basically useless on the C9, I doubt even a giant CRT could flicker more than that :messenger_dizzy:

Skyr

How come? I LOVE TruMotion, especially the "smooth" setting. Looks lifelike and gets rid of most of the stuttering during action scenes in movies and anime. I guess everyone has their own tastes. Or am I doing something wrong?
Use it if you like it... It's way too much soap opera effect for me so I can't stand to watch stuff that way.

Personally I am going with the following user settings:

DeJudder 2
DeBlur 10

It's a good middleground for minimizing stuttering and the soap opera effect.

Skyr

Use what you like best.

Smooth introduces way too much soap opera effect for me. Clear looks very natural with good quality sources. True 4K footage with Clear motion looks almost SOE-free except for fast-moving stuff at the edges of the screen, and stuff like fire where you can see some motion interpolation.

The advantages of True Motion vary wildly with different sources. I see this especially with User settings. Older movies start showing SOE with Dejudder set to 3, while I noticed more modern films look natural at 3 and start looking artificial at 4. Dejudder set to 5 will have SOE no matter the source.

Most people recommend setting Deblur to 10, but I can’t stand it if it isn’t coupled with some heavy dejudder.

I’d be interested in user opinions on the new Cinema Clear settings and BFI on the new LG CX. BFI is basically useless on the C9, I doubt even a giant CRT could flicker more than that :messenger_dizzy:
I agree 100%. The flickering is very noticeable to me which makes it useless. I wonder if it varies from person to person on how much they can detect flickering.

Hustler

I have LG C9 tv. Besides the CNET guide, is there a "proven best" settings guide for best picture quality on movies and games?

Im coming from an old 720 Plasma. For Streaming like Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Youtube, what device gives the best streaming quality? I have a brand new Panasonic UHD Player 820, the LG TV, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Chromecast. So many ways to stream, does it matter? I have my house wired for ethernet and FIOS with about 880 down and up....so I can plug in wired too.

Skyr

Im coming from an old 720 Plasma. For Streaming like Netflix, Disney, Amazon, Youtube, what device gives the best streaming quality? I have a brand new Panasonic UHD Player 820, the LG TV, PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, Chromecast. So many ways to stream, does it matter? I have my house wired for ethernet and FIOS with about 880 down and up....so I can plug in wired too.
Unless you have an nvdia shield which provides A.I. upscaling for sub 4k content, there is no reason to use anything other than the built in apps. They work very well.

Using built in apps gives you the advantage of the screensaver that detects static content and activates when necessary as a burn in protection.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Who thinks HDR sucks and it's a marketing bs please like this post
3Eu.gif

J3nga

Looking for an OLED for around $550, am I out of luck?
I could go as high as $700 but my GF would literally have my head
You're out of luck unless second hand, but I wouldn't recommend second handed OLED. New LG B9 is $1000-1100 that is as low as OLED's go these days at least in my region but I assume in other parts of the world pricing is similar.

If it's $400 TV that just barely reaches HDR certification which is 400 nits and does not have FALD - yes it's just a marketing. If it's a sub $1000 LED with FALD and has way more than 400 nits or it's an OLED TV - it isn't just a marketing. I hope you've become wiser after reading this.

Last edited:
You're out of luck unless second hand, but I wouldn't recommend second handed OLED. New LG B9 is $1000-1100 that is as low as OLED's go these days at least in my region but I assume in other parts of the world pricing is similar.

If it's $400 TV that just barely reaches HDR certification which is 400 nits and does not have FALD - yes it's just a marketing. If it's a sub $1000 LED with FALD and has way more than 400 nits or it's an OLED TV - it isn't just a marketing. I hope you've become wiser after reading this.
I was referring to my oled b6. Perhaps true hdr is only achieved with 1000 nits but it's too much of a headache it never works right. Look how many different settings you need for each game. Hdr is a pain in the ass

HDR when not implemented correctly can be quite bad looking, but when implemented correctly it’s really great looking and can even add depth and contrast to the overall image quality. I’ve seen bad to average HDR that makes the picture look washed out and I’ve seen HDR that really made the images pop. Sometimes it can even depend on calibration settings.

Last edited:

I think I have only played a couple games where I am like "Wow, this HDR totally sucks" but even when it is bad HDR (like Nier Automata) it usually still looks better than just SDR. But in games like Doom Eternal, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Halo MCC or Devil May Cry V, it looks absolutely fucking amazing and easily blows any SDR image out of the water in every way possible. You should really see if you can get your HDR calibrated properly. What games have you played with HDR? And what TV do you have? I am totally willing to help you out

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I use cinema clear for everything except gaming of course.

It’s subtle but very satisfying especially in 24p content.

Ulysses 31

CX doesn't bring any change in that front. Lowers the brightness and brings flickering when on high. :lollipop_confounded:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
have any of you Oled users noticed any stuttering on long panning shots, think sweeping landscape shots in LOTR.. I'm looking to upgrade my old Sony 93C for either an LGC9 or Sammy Q90R and at a complete loss as to which to go for but i have heard that the OLED's suffer from stuttering on the aforementioned panning shots

Ulysses 31

have any of you Oled users noticed any stuttering on long panning shots, think sweeping landscape shots in LOTR.. I'm looking to upgrade my old Sony 93C for either an LGC9 or Sammy Q90R and at a complete loss as to which to go for but i have heard that the OLED's suffer from stuttering on the aforementioned panning shots
As someone who went from Q950R to CX:

I think you need to enable motion plus tech if you want to get rid of stuttering. LG and Samsung have some version of it. Go with Samsung if you like brightness and vivid colors that it can bring but less accurate picture(less focused on what creators intended), LG C9 if you're in a not so bright room and want to see all the details creators intended.

Samsung has better motion plus for game mode than LG, it barely does anything on the CX IMO. Maybe the Freesync premium update will improve things but that's not out yet in Eruoland.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
CX doesn't bring any change in that front. Lowers the brightness and brings flickering when on high. :lollipop_confounded:
But what about BFI at Low and Medium settings? Does it give any substantial benefit in the perception of motion with movies and sub-60fps games? And does it introduce perceptible flickering? It’s impossible to judge that from videos, while it’s quite clear that at the Max setting it’s basically the same as in the C9.
I could live with a little decrease in brightness if the BF is imperceptible and actually improves motion.

Of course. But it’s not only a OLED issue. You can see that with LED, QLED, and even plasma. On OLED with motion interpolation turned off it’s just more noticeable because of fast response time, absence of LCD blur, and poor motion resolution.
Start paying attention to it and you’ll notice it on any current TV, especially with 50+ inch screens.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just a quick thing popping my head in, the LG OLED panels have a bug that still seems to be there on the later models. Panning shots and smooth movements can cause stutters. The fix is weird... But works. Go into your settings, find the setting called "TruMotion". This is something that smooths out the image, and looks bloody awful... Absolutely shite.

Anyway yeah, you just go ahead and enable that........ And then set its values to be 0.

It effectively disables the effect, yet... It also fixes that weird stutter.

You're welcome. And no, I have no idea why either, lol.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

But what about BFI at Low and Medium settings? Does it give any substantial benefit in the perception of motion with movies and sub-60fps games? And does it introduce perceptible flickering? It’s impossible to judge that from videos, while it’s quite clear that at the Max setting it’s basically the same as in the C9.
I could live with a little decrease in brightness if the BF is imperceptible and actually improves motion.
Brightness gets lowered on low and medium also so I didn't really bother to use it for more and a few seconds but the flickering was only noticeable on high. 👀

I've played with it off and the motion seemed fine so far, mainly played Xenoblade Chronicles, Streets of Rage 4 and Resident Evil Revelations on Switch.

As PC monitor, movies seemed fine too but I didn't watch a full movie/episode yet since I'm still trying out picture settings for console gaming.

Clarissa

Banned
I've had my B9 for 7 months now. Still blows my mind. I do a chef's kiss motion every time I see the Netflix logo.

Same thing. Even SDR content looks so good.

I always watch in a dark room. Watching our TV in a dark room makes things even better.

Currently watching Chef's Table and drooling at all the food in Dolby Vision glory.

C9 user here.

I think I have only played a couple games where I am like "Wow, this HDR totally sucks" but even when it is bad HDR (like Nier Automata) it usually still looks better than just SDR. But in games like Doom Eternal, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Halo MCC or Devil May Cry V, it looks absolutely fucking amazing and easily blows any SDR image out of the water in every way possible. You should really see if you can get your HDR calibrated properly. What games have you played with HDR? And what TV do you have? I am totally willing to help you out
I have a LG B6. I have tried hdr in some games and picture looks worst. The whole calibrating thing is just a pain every game requires a different calibration. Perhaps the B6 is not great for hdr or there's something wrong with my eyes.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Just a quick thing popping my head in, the LG OLED panels have a bug that still seems to be there on the later models. Panning shots and smooth movements can cause stutters. The fix is weird... But works. Go into your settings, find the setting called "TruMotion". This is something that smooths out the image, and looks bloody awful... Absolutely shite.

Anyway yeah, you just go ahead and enable that........ And then set its values to be 0.

It effectively disables the effect, yet... It also fixes that weird stutter.

You're welcome. And no, I have no idea why either, lol.
I tried this on C9 and honestly, I cannot confirm this. Looks exactly the same to me.

HDR when not implemented correctly can be quite bad looking, but when implemented correctly it’s really great looking and can even add depth and contrast to the overall image quality. I’ve seen bad to average HDR that makes the picture look washed out and I’ve seen HDR that really made the images pop. Sometimes it can even depend on calibration settings.
Right but that's the biggest issue we should not have to be worrying about calibrating that much it's just a pain in the ass. I've seen other people complaining about hdr and even have watched DF videos stating some games just have poor hdr implementation...

Clarissa

Banned
I have a LG B6. I have tried hdr in some games and picture looks worst. The whole calibrating thing is just a pain every game requires a different calibration. Perhaps the B6 is not great for hdr or there's something wrong with my eyes.
Go to Netflix and watch Night On Earth.

Make sure you're subscribed to the 4k tier one. Watch it and tell us how HDR/dolby vision looks.

Also could you post your settings here for Dolby vision?

cryogenic7

No, I love it too. Some people don't like it because they think it makes things look like a soap opera. I disagree, I love the way it looks. Hyper realistic, like you are watching the actors through a window.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
As someone who went from Q950R to CX:

I think you need to enable motion plus tech if you want to get rid of stuttering. LG and Samsung have some version of it. Go with Samsung if you like brightness and vivid colors that it can bring but less accurate picture(less focused on what creators intended), LG C9 if you're in a not so bright room and want to see all the details creators intended.

Samsung has better motion plus for game mode than LG, it barely does anything on the CX IMO. Maybe the Freesync premium update will improve things but that's not out yet in Eruoland.

Our Tv sits in a large room in front of a few big south facing windies, day time its very bright in there, i take it the OLED picture wont be as good as the brighter Q90r during the day where the wife and kids will use it most

Ulysses 31

Our Tv sits in a large room in front of a few big south facing windies, day time its very bright in there, i take it the OLED picture wont be as good as the brighter Q90r during the day where the wife and kids will use it most
OLED's also not something you want to leave on for others to mess with. 👀

Go to Netflix and watch Night On Earth.

Make sure you're subscribed to the 4k tier one. Watch it and tell us how HDR/dolby vision looks.

Also could you post your settings here for Dolby vision?
I have seen DV on Netflix and it does look good. I honestly don't know the settings I am using for that I just use the game hdr mode or the standard hdr mode for movies

Skyr

What about isf Expert(dark room)? I read that's the most accurate one out of the box. I based my tweaks around that mode for TV/Movie watching. 👀
That’s an SDR setting, it’s not available in HDR or DV..

And ye for SDR content it’s great. I use it too.

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Yeap. ISF dark is for SDR content.

Just sharing my settings so you can try if you hate what you see.

I like to turn up colour a notch to 55 and change colour temperature to Warm 1.

Warm 2 is awful.

This is my settings for ISF Dark
Oled Light at 75
Colour 55
Contrast at 85,
Sharpness at 10
Brightness 50

Warm 1 colour temperature
Dynamic Contrast off
Colour Gamut Auto

My settings for Dolby Vision (Cinema User)
OLED - 100
Colour - 55
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 10
Brightness - 50

Warm 1
Dynamic Contrast OFF

My settings for HDR (Cinema User)

Same as Dolby Vision but I turn on Dynamic Tone Mapping.
Colour Gamut - Auto

Lastly, our LG Oleds are best watched in a dark room.

During the day time, draw your curtains and make sure there's no sunlight or any light coming in.

Last edited:

anothertech

Use what you like best.

Cinephiles like me definitely prefer the Trumotion off for the most part. The soap opera/cheap news camera effect is jarring to say the least.

The motion blur from the 24p or 23.95 cinema frame rate is a much more cinematic experience.

On topic:

My family has 3 OLED's, which are now 3 OLED's with burn in unfortunately. Mine, my dads and my sisters. I'm sticking with QLED in the future for now. Great brightness, and no worries about kids playing games for too long or dad watching news all day.

Ulysses 31

My family has 3 OLED's, which are now 3 OLED's with burn in unfortunately. Mine, my dads and my sisters. I'm sticking with QLED in the future for now. Great brightness, and no worries about kids playing games for too long or dad watching news all day.
Gonna get a Q90T/Q95T or Q900TS/Q950TS? :p :p :p

I had a Q950TS for short while and the brightness and colors was great but my unit had too much vertical banding/dirty screen effect. >.>

MacReady13

I've had my CX 55" (1st OLED tv) for approx 3 months now. Mainly use it for gaming and i'm not really scared but overly cautious with burn in. Do any of you recommend I keep the auto brightness on, keep it at minimum or turn it off completely?
Also, how high do you keep brightness/contrast/backlight numbers?

thanks!

carlosrox

Banned
I was interested in the LG C9 and it doesn't seem to be available around here anymore?

My bro just got an LG CX 65inch and I'm jealous as fuck.

Reactions: MrS
Top Bottom