• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

I have a 65" LG C9 and am pretty excited for the launch of the new consoles. Do you think they will come with an HDMI cable which supports the necessary bandwidth required to run at 4k 120hz? Not that I am expecting too many games to actually come anywhere near that.

Being ready for PS5/XSX was one of the main reasons I bought this model early this year. Been a long wait to get a console that will take advantage of it!

Tickrate

C9 Owners, how are you dealing with next gens HDMI 2.1 and Soundbars?
I am in the market for a soundbar, but I'm not really sure If I need to wait for HDMI 2.1 and eARC enabled ones to hit the market.

Looking to hook up both the PS5 and Series X, any suggestions?

Jigga117

I have a 65" LG C9 and am pretty excited for the launch of the new consoles. Do you think they will come with an HDMI cable which supports the necessary bandwidth required to run at 4k 120hz? Not that I am expecting too many games to actually come anywhere near that.

Being ready for PS5/XSX was one of the main reasons I bought this model early this year. Been a long wait to get a console that will take advantage of it!
I read somewhere it was confirmed Series X will include the HDMI that is bandwidth capable.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
CX 55" owner checking in. Blown away by how good this TV looks. I'm ready for next-gen. It can't come soon enough.

DoomGyver

I pickup my CX 55” on Friday. Xsx on preorder and I have a stack of 4k Blu-rays ready to go. Does anyone have the best setting for this model?

wipeout364

I have a C9 and love the picture. I don’t love that I have a stuck pixel and that the pixel refresher won’t fix it, and I don’t love the sound bar sync issues that makes the timing off on the sound. It seems to be a common problem that there is no easy fix for. I have a Sonos sound bar. Have tried manually adjusting the timing but it doesn’t fix the problem.

Ohhhhhhhh a OLED thread nice.

I've recently just bought my 1st 4K OLED which is a LG OLED 48 inch. Very excited and will be delivered this Thursday. Also added a warranty to it too so it can secure burn ins... hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

DoomGyver

Ohhhhhhhh a OLED thread nice.

I've recently just bought my 1st 4K OLED which is a LG OLED 48 inch. Very excited and will be delivered this Thursday. Also added a warranty to it too so it can secure burn ins... hopefully.
I bought from Best Buy and also went with the warranty. Makes me feel better knowing if I accidentally pass out in my chair with a static image on the screen causing burn in that I can get it replaced.

I bought from Best Buy and also went with the warranty. Makes me feel better knowing if I accidentally pass out in my chair with a static image on the screen causing burn in that I can get it replaced.
Hahahahaa.

I think the TV has a sleep mode and if it's inactive for a few hours, it will shut off by itself or go to sleep. My Spectrum TV has that.

Well, I got a 77 inch CX on the way. I loved how I felt about my Panny Plasma. I enjoyed QLED but I needed to size up for my room, I wanted features, and i could not spend another $2000 on LED thinking OLED was not attainable. There is nothing tech wise on the horizon that will beat it, and I will be locked indoors for the next 2 years.

And so I spent my dollars. I'm interested in miniled, but to what end? Oled is on sale now.

Entroyp

Yea the screensaver will kick in in just a couple of minutes. Also, burn in happens when you leave a static image 24/7 for a long period of time (months or even years).

Don’t worry about burn in.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
This is probably a bit off topic, but some of you may be aware of the criticism against OLED that I've expressed in other threads in the past. Well, last week while I was at Microcenter I stopped in the TV section and took a look at the OLEDs that were on display; I was blown away by their picture quality, as their infinite contrast ratios made details much more distinct and made imagery much more realistic than the nearby LCDs, which looked great but made imagery look relatively flat and dull.

Having said this, I suspect that the brightness levels of the OLEDs were set to values that were unhealthy for their longevity, because they were just as bright as the LCDs; I suspect that they'll develop burn-in within a few months, especially since their activated for over ten hours per day.

• LOL
This is probably a bit off topic, but some of you may be aware of the criticism against OLED that I've expressed in other threads in the past. Well, last week while I was at Microcenter I stopped in the TV section and took a look at the OLEDs that were on display; I was blown away by their picture quality, as their infinite contrast ratios made details much more distinct and made imagery much more realistic than the nearby LCDs, which looked great but made imagery look relatively flat and dull.

Having said this, I suspect that the brightness levels of the OLEDs were set to values that were unhealthy for their longevity, because they were just as bright as the LCDs; I suspect that they'll develop burn-in within a few months, especially since their activated for over ten hours per day.

ok keep fooling yourself, I will continue to work through the lockdown on a C9.

Nydus

Yeah don't buy Showfloor models. They are heavily abused. I run my b7 with 80 brightness and it's still fine after all those years.

klosos

Yes i think its time for me to get a new TV actually. So ill ask all of your advice which is the best 48 inch OLED ? obviously for PS5 and general use.

Elog

Image quality is amazing. I simply cannot go back and it is one of the reasons why I play more console games than on my PC. My PC monitor - expensive as well - is not even close.

As to burn-in the overall image is not the problem. I had a B6 for years that I have now given to my 90-year old dad. The B6 was used all the time by family members (more by my wife and kids than me) and after all those years of heavy and reckless use you can see two small shades:

1) The yellow square in the youtube app that is on while searching youtube clips. I do not understand why LG accepts that high brightness square in the app (please note that my wife and kids have been very reckless just letting the TC idle with youtube open but on 'search')

2) The Netflix logo in red that shows when pausing the Netflix app (also stupid in my book)

We had brightness etc on high settings and heavy and reckless use for more than 4 years and in the very end these two shades could be seen if you have the screen on with a black background. You needed to look really carefully.

It did not stop me from buying a CX this year - I cannot go back.

Nydus

Im about to pull the trigger on the LG B9 65inch for 1400€. It will be an upgrade from my B7. I think it will be perfect: 4 full hdmi 2.1, Gsync, 4k120hz with HDR :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Anything that speaks against it?

MrS

Banned
I still don't regret my decision, because OLEDs are very expensive and are prone to burn-in.
If that was true, you wouldn't have came in here, cap in hand, praising the image quality of OLED. I am sensing buyers remorse.

Last edited:

anaphase

I have a C9 and love the picture. I don’t love that I have a stuck pixel and that the pixel refresher won’t fix it, and I don’t love the sound bar sync issues that makes the timing off on the sound. It seems to be a common problem that there is no easy fix for. I have a Sonos sound bar. Have tried manually adjusting the timing but it doesn’t fix the problem.

This bugs me to no end. I ended up just using my sound bar on the X900H. It's not that bad when I use Netflix and Plex, but it's especially bad on the youtube app.

I wonder if using an LG sound bar "magically" fixes the issue.

Nothing I tried fixed the damn sync issues. Other than that it's a fantastic tv.

Oh, that and no HBO max.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If that was true, you wouldn't have came in here, cap in hand, praising the image quality of OLED. I am sensing buyers remorse.
Trust me, there is no buyers remorse; my 55R635 works great as a general monitor and a gaming monitor, while costing me only half the price of an equally sized OLED. An OLED would not work well for my use case (i.e. displaying the Windows desktop and Windows applications, which have lots of static imagery).

I would consider getting an OLED at this point to use it as only a secondary display, strictly for watching movies and shows.

MrS

Banned
Trust me, there is no buyers remorse; my 55R635 works great as a general monitor and a gaming monitor, while costing me only half the price of an equally sized OLED. An OLED would not work well for my use case (i.e. displaying the Windows desktop and Windows applications, which have lots of static imagery).

I would consider getting an OLED at this point to use it as only a secondary display, strictly for watching movies and shows.
You would be robbing yourself of the best gaming experience possible. The TV was designed with gaming in mind, hence the inclusion of HDMI 2.1 and the GSYNC features.

I respect that you enjoy your TV. I was just winding you up :)

Ulysses 31

You would be robbing yourself of the best gaming experience possible. The TV was designed with gaming in mind, hence the inclusion of HDMI 2.1 and the GSYNC features.

I respect that you enjoy your TV. I was just winding you up :)
Depends, if you like brightness and color pop then Samsung QLEDs will give "better" image and Samsungs have game motion plus which reduce 30 fps stutter.

Just ordered the 55 CX in preparation for next gen, arrives this weekend can't wait. I'm going to revisit some PS4 games in the meantime to see what all the HDR fuss is about. It's my first time owning an OLED so looking forward to it, can anyone link me to some reading material on how to correctly configure it for HDR gaming?

My last tv i bought for my small gaming room was in 2005 along with an xbox360 so it's about damn time i upgraded it.

Ulysses 31

Just ordered the 55 CX in preparation for next gen, arrives this weekend can't wait. I'm going to revisit some PS4 games in the meantime to see what all the HDR fuss is about. It's my first time owning an OLED so looking forward to it, can anyone link me to some reading material on how to correctly configure it for HDR gaming?

My last tv i bought for my small gaming room was in 2005 along with an xbox360 so it's about damn time i upgraded it.
Make sure the room is dark, you don't want glares/reflections to cover them perfect darks/contrasts.

Last edited:

wipeout364

This bugs me to no end. I ended up just using my sound bar on the X900H. It's not that bad when I use Netflix and Plex, but it's especially bad on the youtube app.

I wonder if using an LG sound bar "magically" fixes the issue.

Nothing I tried fixed the damn sync issues. Other than that it's a fantastic tv.

Oh, that and no HBO max.
Yes Youtube And my cable box are the worst, fortunately I don’t notice it with gaming and Apple TV.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Time for my semi-regular "check the OLED thread and count the ctrl + F 'burn' results"

16 from page 13.

Yep, we're still doing this shit I see.

Ulysses 31

Which Sonos? I have the arc working fine here.

Ulysses 31

Time for my semi-regular "check the OLED thread and count the ctrl + F 'burn' results"

16 from page 13.

Yep, we're still doing this shit I see.
As long as it's not fixed, I'd mention it too when making OLED TV recommendations. :lollipop_grinning:

As long as it's not fixed, I'd mention it too when making OLED TV recommendations. :lollipop_grinning:
20+ hours with static imaging over almost a year to force any kind of burn in.......
For how many % of users does this apply? 0,000001?

If we`d go by such small chances we couldn`t recommend any electrical device ever again.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Telling people that OLEDs have a burn-in issue is like telling people that cars have a crashing issue. It's hysterical nonsense that will affect a tiny minority of people who watch/play literally one thing on their screens.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

20+ hours with static imaging over almost a year to force any kind of burn in.......
For how many % of users does this apply? 0,000001?

If we`d go by such small chances we couldn`t recommend any electrical device ever again.
LG has made great improvements in mitigating it in the latest models but the advent HDR has also increased the risks again.

As long it's not a 12hour/day Fortnite gamer with vivid mode on or something of that nature I'd say OLEDs could be recommended for gaming.

Ulysses 31

Telling people that OLEDs have a burn-in issue is like telling people that cars have a crashing issue. It's hysterical nonsense that will affect a tiny minority of people who watch/play literally one thing on their screens.
I have personally witnessed burn in on my older OLED from playing too much dark souls and hyrule warriors(less than 300 hours for each title in 2 years of ownership) so I don't think I'm exaggerating about the risks on older models.

Yea my OLED is also out for delivery today too (CX 48). Very excited to play PS4 games in 4K for the 1st time since PS4 Pro doesn't have a 1440p output for my 1440p monitors.. sigh. Haven't even finished a single PS4 exclusive because of this reason.

My biggest question: Will reducing brightness improve the chances of not facing burn ins? Luckily my room is very dark with all blinds shut so im planning to reduce the brightness. This TV is going to be my 2nd monitor...

Kupfer

I just bought the LG OLED 48CX, replacing my old Bravia KDL 42W655A in preparation for the PS5. The picture is just gorgeous and I have to test some PS4 Pro HDR games now.

Yea my OLED is also out for delivery today too (CX 48). Very excited to play PS4 games in 4K for the 1st time since PS4 Pro doesn't have a 1440p output for my 1440p monitors.. sigh. Haven't even finished a single PS4 exclusive because of this reason.

My biggest question: Will reducing brightness improve the chances of not facing burn ins? Luckily my room is very dark with all blinds shut so im planning to reduce the brightness. This TV is going to be my 2nd monitor...

REMOVE any kind of plastic from the TV as soon as you unpack it. It traps the heat between the sheet of plastic and the tv and fucks up the pixel refresh
Set logo luminance to high
Set OLED light as low as you can stomach, try to get used to 50-60 when watching SDR content.
Turn down contrast to 90
NEVER cut the power to the TV.
NEVER use pixel refresh unless your TV was on for 2000h or more
Only use manual pixel refresh once a year (every 2000h of use. You can check the ontime in the setting somewhere)
NEVER let direct sunlight touch your OLED screen
NEVER watch CNN or anything with RED static images
Avoid static images if you can, try setting HUD opacity as high as possible in games
Static images that aren't too bright are fine for the most part
VARY the content. Play games and watch videos/movies/tv shows
Be disciplined. If you don't actually use the TV, turn it OFF.

But most of all:

Enjoy your OLED.

Last edited:
REMOVE any kind of plastic from the TV as soon as you unpack it. It traps the heat between the sheet of plastic and the tv and fucks up the pixel refresh
Set logo luminance to high
Set OLED light as low as you can stomach, try to get used to 50-60 when watching SDR content.
Turn down contrast to 90
NEVER cut the power to the TV.
NEVER use pixel refresh unless your TV was on for 2000h or more
Only use manual pixel refresh once a year (every 2000h of use. You can check the ontime in the setting somewhere)
NEVER let direct sunlight touch your OLED screen
NEVER watch CNN or anything with RED static images
Avoid static images if you can, try setting HUD opacity as high as possible in games
Static images that aren't too bright are fine for the most part
VARY the content. Play games and watch videos/movies/tv shows
Be disciplined. If you don't actually use the TV, turn it OFF.

But most of all:

Enjoy your OLED.
I just turn on the tv, watch shit, then turn it off.

Top Bottom