• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Raphael

Im about to pull the trigger on the LG B9 65inch for 1400€. It will be an upgrade from my B7. I think it will be perfect: 4 full hdmi 2.1, Gsync, 4k120hz with HDR :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Anything that speaks against it?
Have it and love it. Its basically a C9 so its awesome. Do it and enjoy.

MrS

Banned
I just turn on the tv, watch shit, then turn it off.
The TV does a mini pixel refresh type thing after it's been used for 4 hours. After I've finished using my TV, I keep it on standby for an hour (to let it do the pixel refresh) then turn it off at the wall. No way am I keeping it plugged in/on standby 24/7.

Last edited:
The TV does a mini pixel refresh type thing after it's been used for 4 hours. After I've finished using my TV, I keep it on standby for an hour (to let it do the pixel refresh) then turn it off at the wall. No way am I keeping it plugged in/on standby 24/7.

Woah. Why not leave it connected to electricity?

I plan to stand back and leave it in standby. That's oled for "off" right?

MrS

Banned
Woah. Why not leave it connected to electricity?

I plan to stand back and leave it in standby. That's oled for "off" right?
Leaving tv, ps4, laptop chargers, etc. switched on is just not something I've ever done. Waste of electricity and thus money, even despite the energy efficiency ratings of the products. Guess it was just how I was brought up!

The TV always makes a noise to signal it's doing the pixel refresh so it's fairly easy to gauge what's going on with it when it's on standby.

Last edited:

onesvenus

The TV always makes a noise to signal it's doing the pixel refresh so it's fairly easy to gauge what's going on with it when it's on standby.
Which kind of sound?
I've a LG CX always on standby and I don't think I've ever heard any kind of sound and now I'm worried it might not be doing the pixel refresh thing

REMOVE any kind of plastic from the TV as soon as you unpack it. It traps the heat between the sheet of plastic and the tv and fucks up the pixel refresh
Set logo luminance to high
Set OLED light as low as you can stomach, try to get used to 50-60 when watching SDR content.
Turn down contrast to 90
NEVER cut the power to the TV.
NEVER use pixel refresh unless your TV was on for 2000h or more
Only use manual pixel refresh once a year (every 2000h of use. You can check the ontime in the setting somewhere)
NEVER let direct sunlight touch your OLED screen
NEVER watch CNN or anything with RED static images
Avoid static images if you can, try setting HUD opacity as high as possible in games
Static images that aren't too bright are fine for the most part
VARY the content. Play games and watch videos/movies/tv shows
Be disciplined. If you don't actually use the TV, turn it OFF.

But most of all:

Enjoy your OLED.
Thanks for the tips!

Don't suppose there's a definitive comparison for the LG B and C models for gaming?
Weighing up getting a BX now or hanging on until the CX drops below £2000 (65")

Was looking at the C9 but looks to be discontinued now

Thaks in advance

Don't suppose there's a definitive comparison for the LG B and C models for gaming?
Weighing up getting a BX now or hanging on until the CX drops below £2000 (65")

Was looking at the C9 but looks to be discontinued now

Thaks in advance

The CX/BX both have freesync premium support meaning they have low framerate compensation. The VRR range at 4k120hz goes from 40hz - 120hz but LFC doubles the frames below the range giving you VRR from 0fps - 120fps. IMO this is a must for next gen. Games have multiple modes even ranging up to 120fps.

Edit: I was wrong, the C9 won't get LFC support. You can mod it for PC but that seems like a bandaid solution.

Last edited:

DoomGyver

I picked up my 55 CX tonight. Glad I chose the 55 over the 48. Need to iron out the settings, warzone seemed a smidge darker than I’d like.

Nydus

Fuck yeah I'm happy! I wrote to the shop where I missed the deal (just some minutes too late) and they make an exception and let me buy the B9 for 1400€ ❤️ should arrive just in time with my 3080 😬

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Get one on Amazon Prime day or wait for Black Friday ?? I've been thinking about getting a TV for like the last two months !!! Its been constantly on my mind ever since I preordered the next gen systems haha

adybrown

Neo Member
How much of an upgrade would it be to go from an LG B7 to an LG CX for someone who plays a lot of games at 4K/60? Would I see a big benefit in this TV being 4k/120hz and g-sync compatible?

I only ask as most of the games I play are single player games so I'll rarely be hitting 120fps, will I see much of a benefit at 4K with 60-100fps?

MrS

Banned
How much of an upgrade would it be to go from an LG B7 to an LG CX for someone who plays a lot of games at 4K/60? Would I see a big benefit in this TV being 4k/120hz and g-sync compatible?

I only ask as most of the games I play are single player games so I'll rarely be hitting 120fps, will I see much of a benefit at 4K with 60-100fps?
Huge. HDMI 2.1 and much better anti burn-in measures alone are worth it.

adybrown

Neo Member
Huge. HDMI 2.1 and much better anti burn-in measures alone are worth it.
I actually have some burn-in on my B7 :rolleyes: I'm tempted but I'd need a new HDMI 2.1 receiver too and I've already pre-ordered a 3080 so it's a big outlay, I best get saving!

• Strength
Reactions: MrS

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Had an lg oled for 3 years now. It got burn in within the first year. It’s not a lot but I notice it. Which is why I got a led to replace it for gaming. I can look past the grey blacks more than I can look past burn in.

mitchman

Gold Member
The anti-burn in measures for the 2019/2020 models are significant compared to earlier models, so even though I had burn-in on my B6 (running at 100% OLED light for extra smartness, lol), I've seen none of that on my B9 and I don't worry about it (not do I watch CNN)

down 2 orth

Get one on Amazon Prime day or wait for Black Friday ?? I've been thinking about getting a TV for like the last two months !!! Its been constantly on my mind ever since I preordered the next gen systems haha

Would anyone have an answer for this? I'm really curious as well as to the best deals to look into for a C9 or CX. Also, would there be TVs from other companies that are comparable to these two?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Prime day rarely has good TVs on sale. It's usually the cheap POS TVs that get sold for a little cheaper. LG usually has TVs go on sale for a black friday month. In November is when I would be looking.
Would anyone have an answer for this? I'm really curious as well as to the best deals to look into for a C9 or CX. Also, would there be TVs from other companies that are comparable to these two?

Last edited:

SuoGrey

Tell me again in one or two years with your burn in issues.
Sure, there's guys who have been using it for years with pc, games and regular content and havent had problems as long as you mitigate risks its pretty hard but everyone loves to scream burn in lol. Not to mention there's built in tech that again helps mitigate risk but OMGEH DAH BURN IN :pie_roffles:

Sure, there's guys who have been using it for years with pc, games and regular content and havent had problems as long as you mitigate risks its pretty hard but everyone loves to scream burn in lol. Not to mention there's built in tech that again helps mitigate risk but OMGEH DAH BURN IN :pie_roffles:
Apex Legends OLED burn in is not a hoax.
But keep on laughing If you feel better.

Only a matter of time.

SuoGrey

I don't play Apex though? Dude use case scenarios come huge into play and I dont play one game for 16 hours a day lol. But if it makes you feel better I'll sit in a corner afraid of my LG :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

yeah us and a lot of YouTube videos proving how easy burn in is but it’s all bs huh?

SuoGrey

yeah us and a lot of YouTube videos proving how easy burn in is but it’s all bs huh?
Did I say it's BS? No? Ok cool glad we got that cleared up lol. It's just not the boogey man everyone is shitting their pants over, again use case comes into play, yea you'll burn in if you play 20 hours of games with eye melting UI at oled and contrast light at 100 daily it's not hard to figure out.

C9s are old enough that you might only see models on odd websites or at similar prices to CX. No reason not to just get CX I could find.

The bottom dollar price for CX 65 is probably $1700. The lowest available price right now is $2000 without taxes from a dealer that may not be authorized.

The lowest price we might see the CX 77 is $3100ish. Right now it can be had for $3500-$3600. Can tell you l more if you need.

The Sony x900h is similar features with positive comparisons to OLED for an LED. Prices are pretty low for that, but you are limited to 2 Next gen enabled ports, and you might want one for audio.

Will Black Friday bring lower prices than now? I dont think so with stores closed and home entertainment a hot commodity. Also, you get lg earbuds and bluetooth speakers if you buy in the next two days. Nice.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Can any oled do 4k 120fps? I saw the CX had hdmi 2.1 but then people were saying it only does 40gbps so it's not really that

Last edited:

Jigga117

Prices keep coming down for the OLED models saw the 77in CX for 4k and I think a push is going g to happen from here all the way past Black Friday. This should be the case for Samsung & Vizio.
As Majima was saying no reason not to get the CX if you were to choose. It really only came down to price when the C9 was easily available.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
All LG's OLEDs. 48 cut to 40 is irrelevant for a 10 bit screen.
Ok cool. So it'll show the full 4k 120fps? That CX is mighty tempting then. Does anyone who has one have recommendations for what settings to make it best for gaming? I've had a couple and always mess with the settings afterwards to get it dialed in for movies.

I know it's not an oled but has the sony x900h gotten its update for full hdmi 2.1 support? Couldn't find exactly when that was coming

Jigga117

Ok cool. So it'll show the full 4k 120fps? That CX is mighty tempting then. Does anyone who has one have recommendations for what settings to make it best for gaming? I've had a couple and always mess with the settings afterwards to get it dialed in for movies.

I know it's not an oled but has the sony x900h gotten its update for full hdmi 2.1 support? Couldn't find exactly when that was coming
The other advantage that OLED models have over all others is that you have 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. The only model with two 2.1 ports is the BX series for 2020

DoomGyver

Yes you should. It’ll bother you and you deserve to not be bothered.
I went back to Best Buy this morning and exchanged it for another 55CX. They were great and really nice. Got it home, set the replacement up and it is pixel perfect. I never leave reviews, but I will give them a high rating for this. Thanks for giving me that nudge to not be lazy, disassembling, boxing and driving over an hour was not what I wanted to do on my day off but I’m glad I did. Amazing TV. Best Buy in my area is awesome.

One advice to anyone who got an OLED: if you're using it to watch lots of YouTube, install Chrome extension to change YouTube logo color from red to something more neutral (white, black).

Thank me later.

Nydus

One advice to anyone who got an OLED: if you're using it to watch lots of YouTube, install Chrome extension to change YouTube logo color from red to something more neutral (white, black).

Thank me later.
Why not use the app? If you use the build in app, the screensaver kicks in really really fast. I often have the TV idling with the YouTube app open and it's never a problem.

Reactions: MrS
Top Bottom