• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf OLED owners thread

Never had any problems with my B7 been running great with PS4 of course OLED's do require a degree of careful ownership and to vary your content, not binge on one game too much. Better OLED aware screensavers built into consoles would help a lot, particulary the ones like on the AppleTV 4K which works system wide regardless of whats running be it a game or video.

Micro-LED is another 10 years away from mass manufacturing (Samsung said as much to the guy who runs avforums, its 1-9 years away short of a miracle break through) , the current Micro-LED displays are made by hand at Samsung, that is not viable. Cost reduction and tooling up factories will take a long time. Keep in mind people were talking about OLED being 1-2 years away back in 2008 and it wasn't till 2017 OLED became viable.

The most promising alternative to OLED is Dual Layer LED, this gives near OLED level performance on traditional LCD/LED displays however the power requirements of DL-LED greatly exceeds consumer TV standards. Until that power draw can be brought into line no consumer products can launch on the market.

So OLED is hear to stay as the tech of choice on premium high end TV's, there isn't anything else coming any time soon, even Samsung is building QD-OLED displays.

Ulysses 31

Micro-LED is another 10 years away from mass manufacturing (Samsung said as much to the guy who runs avforums, its 1-9 years away short of a miracle break through) , the current Micro-LED displays are made by hand at Samsung, that is not viable. Cost reduction and tooling up factories will take a long time. Keep in mind people were talking about OLED being 1-2 years away back in 2008 and it wasn't till 2017 OLED became viable.
Things have changed when microled manufacturers are merging with competitors on the supply chain side to make microleds. There's a lot of money pouring into solving the production yield issues. Epistar, a microled manufacturer for Samsung, announced that they're be ready for mass production in 2023.

So OLED is hear to stay as the tech of choice on premium high end TV's, there isn't anything else coming any time soon, even Samsung is building QD-OLED displays.
No one's saying that OLED's dying anytime soon, other manufacturers will start flooding the market with cheaper OLEDs made via inkjet printing than LG. This is more a problem for LG that's making little money already and is facing problems moving to inkjet printing.

Last edited:

dsk1210

Liking my LG 77C9 so far.
Prime video app is slow and buggy.

Had to connect my hdmi cables to the TV and only hdmi eARC from TV to AVR.

My Onkyo AVR was too slow and unreliable in detecting changed resolutions and signals.😤

In regards to tha Prime app, go into general settings and turrn quickstart+ off(TV Settings), it also causes problems with the sound in Spotify sometimes and causes the Prime app to hang sometimes when the TV has been switched off.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Guys,

I'm an owner of a KS8000 55" TV which after almost 4 years seems not "attractive" anymore to me due to slow menu, washed out HDR and some minors issues like HDMI switching.
I'm currently looking at LG's C9 55" OLED.

Is it worth changing when I use TV mostly for watching Netflix and gaming on PS4Pro/PC?

CyberPanda

Banned
Guys,

I'm an owner of a KS8000 55" TV which after almost 4 years seems not "attractive" anymore to me due to slow menu, washed out HDR and some minors issues like HDMI switching.
I'm currently looking at LG's C9 55" OLED.

Is it worth changing when I use TV mostly for watching Netflix and gaming on PS4Pro/PC?
Wait for the LG CX OLED. Comes out in the summer.

DanEON

To reduce eye tracking motion blur at 120 hz?
it was an honest question, i just want to understand the benefits of it.
But dont you think that the blur at 120hz would be so small that the cons of BFI would make it not worth using (flicker, loss of brightness and input lag)

Ulysses 31

it was an honest question, i just want to understand the benefits of it.
But dont you think that the blur at 120hz would be so small that the cons of BFI would make it not worth using (flicker, loss of brightness and input lag)
You can look at the saucer demo and see for yourself how much it can matter if you got a 120+ hz monitor.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
You don't want to be on the wrong side of history, do you???? :goog_devil::goog_devil::goog_devil:
like how plasma was better and still is better then lcd? i went from lcd to pana plasma pretty fast.., and then went to oled.

BUT it uses more power then LCD!
BURN in!

Kagey K

Banned
I generally read that the price is so close to the C9 that it's better to buy the C9, C9 has better brightness and image processing.
Hmmm right now they are both on sale and there is a $300 difference between the 2. Think it’s worth the extra 300?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Reading this thread gives me a flashback to the mid-aughts with plasma owners either proclaiming that their plasms TVs were delivering nirvana or complaining about burn in.
As someones first job was selling TVs during the LCD vs Plasma days...I agree.

The amount of people who proclaimed plasma is bad technology on a daily basis and wanted LCD because of burn it was stupid.

Isaak

Neo Member
Is it worth paying £350 extra and get the LG 55 C9 instead of the 55 B9?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Is it worth paying £350 extra and get the LG 55 C9 instead of the 55 B9?
Tough question but depends on just how "picky" you are. Is the C9 better than B9 in picture quality? Yes
Is it big enough to warrant another 15 percent of the price? Debatable.
Going from LED to OLED. Priceless.

Last edited:

wvnative

Got my E7 Christmas 2017.

Still really pretty, but I swear its developing a VERY SUBTLE yellow-ish tint over time.

Anyone else experience this?

wvnative

Call support line or if you bought it from Costco, take it back and get it replaced.

No one else in my home notices it so doubt I'll get anywhere with support.

I was just curious if anyone else had had a similar thing happen or if I am going crazy

CyberPanda

Banned
No one else in my home notices it so doubt I'll get anywhere with support.

I was just curious if anyone else had had a similar thing happen or if I am going crazy
Other people have got it too, but it’s rare. If it’s subtle I wouldn’t worry about it

wvnative

Other people have got it too, but it’s rare. If it’s subtle I wouldn’t worry about it

I will leave it for now.

I've been lucky. Still no burn in from what I can tell and this thing gets pretty abused. That infamous vertical banding most tv's have is extremely minimal on this set. It's been good to me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I don't know whether to wait for the CX for that BFI and 4K @120 hz full HD or to get a C9 earlier.....

I really wanted the Sony OLED for the better motion (once it became cheaper near the end of its model run), but I also worry about not having VRR for PC Gaming.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't know whether to wait for the CX for that BFI and 4K @120 hz full HD or to get a C9 earlier.....

I really wanted the Sony OLED for the better motion (once it became cheaper near the end of its model run), but I also worry about not having VRR for PC Gaming.
Unless you want the highest end A9H, which I was told supports HDMI 2.1 the LG C9 is a no brainer due to the price difference. The CX will also likely be quite a bit cheaper than the A9H.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Unless you want the highest end A9H, which I was told supports HDMI 2.1 the LG C9 is a no brainer due to the price difference. The CX will also likely be quite a bit cheaper than the A9H.
Na I meant the current Sony A9G model as it closes in on end of model run sales.

Also still worried about playing retro games a lot on the OLED lol. I have a Plasma and have avoided 4:3 games because of it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Man, it seems like Samsung is taking a giant dump on their 4K models to save all the best features for their 8K TVs.

Just another reason to get an OLED over Samsung.

The comments on shitting all over Samsung.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Guys I have to ask you something. In CRT era I remember 32 bit color was a big thing and I couldn't see gradients in my games. On my current IPS LCD monitor however I can see these gradients and it's more comparable to 16bits despite using 32bit colors in Nvidia control panel. Maybe it has something to do with LCD technology, but OLED will dipsplay 32 bit colors correctly?

PrimeX

Finally got my 65B9 this week and it's breathtaking.
I have oscilated a lot between this and a 75Q70R qled at about the same price but seeing them both in store I made up my mind. Sure, the qled was bigger but picture quality was far from the oled. Also it didn't came with the one connect box and the power consumption was greater ofc.
Let's see what I can do about the BI now...

Dr.D00p

Yes. I was faced with this exact decision and went with the 55C9. No regrets.

Really?

I'd say it depends on what the main use for the TV will be. If its mainly gaming then no, its not worth the extra because (AFAIK) the specs are identical. If its watching TV/Movies then maybe, as the C9 has the newer scalar in it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes. I was faced with this exact decision and went with the 55C9. No regrets.
giphy.gif

dotnotbot

The LG C9 continues to smackdown the offerings from Samsung.

This is a complete game changer and basically makes FALD useless for gaming. I wonder how Sony LCDs (X90F, X95G) behave in game mode, they have higher input lag than Samsung so maybe sacrifices won't be that huge.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This is a complete game changer and basically makes FALD useless for gaming. I wonder how Sony LCDs (X90F, X95G) behave in game mode, they have higher input lag than Samsung so maybe sacrifices won't be that huge.
The heck it does, if game mode washed out the picture and black levels like the video it I'm sure we'd see tons of examples of that on any pro-OLED/anti-LCD site. :lollipop_grinning:

I still get good black and brightness levels and colors on my game mode settings and it's nearly the same when I switch between game mode and neutral, I didn't try to match it to movie mode since, well that's for movies and not gaming and I'm not a fan of the warmer colors for my games. :messenger_winking_tongue:

I don't have HZD so I can't test that one personally.

Whitecrow

Banned
On the X95G i can feel it if I get sensitive enough, but doesnt bother me at all in normal play. It's a great TV.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony has never made a gaming a major focus on their TVs, which is absolutely shocking since they make the PS5! Gaming is adequate, but not world beating on their TVs.

LG has really made it a focus on their TVs

Starhowl

XONE X just received an update, that disabled HDR10 for gaming, which worked before flawlessly, stating that the TV (LG OLED55C6V) would support HDR10 for TV but not for gaming. First there was burn-in on the screen, which wouldn't exist, then they basically scammed with Dolby Vision and now HDR10 got disabled.

Of course someone will state that it wouldn't be LG's fault, as if the industry wouldn't play one into the hand of another! ;)

Bottom line: The reaction barrier for buying an OLED or any TV of that expense was significantly raised. Never I was scammed that much by a hardware manufacturer and the way the industry straight lies into the customer's face that burn-in wouldn't be a thing is scandalous. Seeing how many people obviously take part in a conspiracy hiding the fact that the issue exists, with arguments that sound like "Did you wash your TV? You know that if you take it off the power that the TV can't wash itself?" that have only been created so the manufacturer can say "You pulled your TV from power - a lack of power damaged it since nothing can happen in that state!" are the epitome of blatant, right into the face lying "I think you're dumb and I can pull off anything I want with you."-statements that were only created by them for being able to talk themselves out of their warranty and that given by the corresponding local laws.

Last edited:
Top Bottom