• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF PC Gaming General Performance Tweaking Thread

Jtrizzy

thanks as always. Even though I really didn't want to, I was going to skip it. I'm using Pinnacle profiler for Chaos Theory right now, and it works really well.

SOLDIER

Sup Mass Effect 3 fans.

To celebrate the game's release, here is an Xpadder profile to enable 360 controller support in the game.

http://www.2shared.com/file/ImzKw1Fv/ME3-Xpadder-3Dizzy.html

On that note, any tweaks available for ME3 at the moment?

So far it's running great, but I'll still keep an eye on anything that might make it run even better, or change a few things (for instance, the dialog wheel could be a little bigger when played on a big TV).

Also, still wondering about any advanced configs for Alan Wake.

Nvidia Inspector SGSSAA compatibility bit for Mass Effect 3

0x000000C1

Takes a heavy toll on performance, but is VERY effective at making jaggies go bye bye.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Quick question on Nvidia Inspector - if I upgrade my graphics driver, will I have to re-apply any custom tweaks I've done on game profiles?

Quick question on Nvidia Inspector - if I upgrade my graphics driver, will I have to re-apply any custom tweaks I've done on game profiles?

No, but you should always export your game profiles in Nvidia inspector (aka back them up) in case something goes wrong. I have been backing mine up for months so I don't have to reapply every freakin tweak if I uninstall my Nvidia drivers, Driver Sweep them, then reinstall.

Not sure if already mentioned but I came across this site today:

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home

Seems like it could be quite a handy place to have bookmarked.

That is a pretty awesome wiki, thanks!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Loving the RAGE config. For some reason though it's dropping frames like mad once you hit the first major town early in the game. Outside of that though it's a constant 60fps all the way. This is also running off an SSD, So i'm not too sure what's causing the iffy performance in a smaller location.

CSX

Got a question about downsampling the resolution

Can a high enough pixel clock potentially damage the screen? I am using a LCD TV as my monitor. I get conflicting answers online and answers don't say if it is specifically for monitors or TVs used as monitors.

Got a question about downsampling the resolution

Can a high enough pixel clock potentially damage the screen? I am using a LCD TV as my monitor. I get conflicting answers online and answers don't say if it is specifically for monitors or TVs used as monitors.

That's why you set it to 'manual' before setting the custom resolution. I've used up to 3200x1700 with no damage to my 42" HDTV, fyi. Pixel clock is @ 148 mhz.

Loving the RAGE config. For some reason though it's dropping frames like mad once you hit the first major town early in the game. Outside of that though it's a constant 60fps all the way. This is also running off an SSD, So i'm not too sure what's causing the iffy performance in a smaller location.

That's weird. What GPU?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
That's weird. What GPU?

2GB 6970.

I've been randomly overclocking things so there's a chance that could have had some influence. I'm going to go back to basics and see what happens. It also skips when you do one of those car races, Drops down to say 46 fps and even lower then bounces back up.

It's a little strange. More trial and error testing to be done.

2GB 6970.

I've been randomly overclocking things so there's a chance that could have had some influence. I'm going to go back to basics and see what happens. It also skips when you do one of those car races, Drops down to say 46 fps and even lower then bounces back up.

It's a little strange. More trial and error testing to be done.

Might be an overloading of your VRAM, check MSI Afterburner.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Might be an overloading of your VRAM, check MSI Afterburner.

I'm pretty sure it was using a max of 1800MB and would bounce between that and 500 when loading.

I think i may have changed something in the settings by mistake which then could have changed the config file? I replaced the file and it certainly isn't as bad. /shrug

Fitz

Damn, nice textures for ME1 there, I finished replaying it yesterday, wish I had known about them before hand. At least I've got the improved textures ready for ME2 though.

While modding the first Mass Effect earlier today, I had to download this program to make it use more RAM.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556

Is this something that could be applied to other games? Like Arkham City, for instance?

I already tried to apply it to Arkham City. Didn't work... game is already large address aware... yet cannot use more than 2 GB for the process. :\

If Arkham City had a 64-bit exe, then we could force the whole city into RAM while streaming and eliminate the hitching.

scitek

I already tried to apply it to Arkham City. Didn't work... game is already large address aware... yet cannot use more than 2 GB for the process. :\

If Arkham City had a 64-bit exe, then we could force the whole city into RAM while streaming and eliminate the hitching.
Oh, you can't tell it to use more through the config file? Too bad.

Oh, you can't tell it to use more through the config file? Too bad.

You can... but the problem is, the game is hard-locked at 2 GB of system RAM usage for the process. As soon as you go over that 2 GB limit (i.e. flying through the city with Levelstreaming turned off, it loads everything into RAM and holds it there), the game just crashes.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You can... but the problem is, the game is hard-locked at 2 GB of system RAM usage for the process. As soon as you go over that 2 GB limit (i.e. flying through the city with Levelstreaming turned off, it loads everything into RAM and holds it there), the game just crashes.

But isn't that what the LAA patch is supposed to address? That's what happens in ME1 for me using the high-res texture mod before I applied the LAA patch as it would crash going over 2 GB.

But isn't that what the LAA patch is supposed to address? That's what happens in ME1 for me using the high-res texture mod before I applied the LAA patch as it would crash going over 2 GB.

In theory, yes. But I believe it's already LAA-aware (maybe not), because when I tried to apply LAA patch it either already was or I enabled it... either way, it didn't work.

Try it for yourself: turn off background level streaming in the BMengine.ini. Go to Task Manager or use a program to monitor/log process usage. As soon as Arkham City hits 2 GB and goes over it, it'll crash.

scitek

In theory, yes. But I believe it's already LAA-aware (maybe not), because when I tried to apply LAA patch it either already was or I enabled it... either way, it didn't work.

Try it for yourself: turn off background level streaming in the BMengine.ini. Go to Task Manager or use a program to monitor/log process usage. As soon as Arkham City hits 2 GB and goes over it, it'll crash.

Yeah, I tried it and I exited the museum and it just got stuck at the loading screen. Unless it would've moved after the ten minutes I let it sit there. Either way, I'm not playing the game like that lol

Yeah, I tried it and I exited the museum and it just got stuck at the loading screen. Unless it would've moved after the ten minutes I let it sit there. Either way, I'm not playing the game like that lol

Try loading a save that's already out in the city. Then start flying across the city. You'll see RAM usage go up until 2 GB and then boom, error.

Want AA/additional AA but don't want to lose more performance? Don't want the blur of the in-game postprocessing AA or FXAA? Time for the blur-free, effective SMAA!

SMAA is an alternative form of FXAA, to put it simply. It can be used by itself or with MSAA or even SGSSAA/supersampling AA. Here is what SMAA looks like used by itself (click thumbnails for full size):

SMAA off:

SMAA on:

Cool, huh? And no FPS loss. Here's how to get it and use it:

Go here: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

1.Download Inject SMAA 1.2.

2. Extract it.

3. Go to D3D9 folder and copy everything (4 files) in that folder (because Mass Effect 3 is a DirectX 9 game)

4. Go to the folder where you have your game installed, and copy + paste those 4 files wherever the game's main exe is. For example, go to Mass Effect 3/Binaries/Win32 and paste them in there, as that's where Masseffect3.exe resides.

5. Start up the game. Hit the PAUSE key (near Print Screen) on your keyboard. SMAA is now enabled!

Enjoy.

Jtrizzy

Anyone tried the new patch with Arkham City? I can't even get the game to start any more. I get a fatal rendering error.

Anyone tried the new patch with Arkham City? I can't even get the game to start any more. I get a fatal rendering error.
I've tried playing the Steam version since the patch. I don't have any errors starting the game, but I don't notice any difference in-game either. It still stutters and hitches with any settings.

There was a new patch released yesterday. People were saying on the Steam forums it fixed their DX11. I didn't notice any difference, but I haven't had performance problems since the patch in December.

Interesting. I haven't even tried DX11 since November. I should reinstall and check it out.

scitek

Also, people with corrupted save files were saying they had been restored, so anyone who hasn't finished the game due to that, you may be able to now.

haikira

Anything I should throw into Nvidia Inspector before I jump into Darkness II soon? Or any other bits of advice? Thanks in advance.

dsk1210

Adaptive v-sync can now be used on nvidia graphics cards with the latest drivers and modded ini file it can be used with triple buffering as well.

It works fantastic as far as i can tell, anytime the frame rate drops below the refresh rate, it will unlock the v-sync and screen tear rather than skip the next frame and just sync back up when 60 or 120hz depending on the refresh rate you use can be achieved again.

I love it, it is making me push my games a bit more intensely without the judder of framerate drop.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have RadeonPro set to force SSAA but Dungeon Siege III is using MSAA. How can I remedy this?

dr_rus

How is SMAA compared to FXAA? Performance versus Quality wise.
They are mostly the same. SMAA may be a little bit better at AA but from my experience it blurs more than FXAA too (though you can tweak the amount of blur applied in FXAATool so they may be completely even).

(click to get a pack of 1920x1200 originals)

And while we're at it: every post AA solution blurs. No exceptions.

Shaneus

Any idea if adaptive v-sync will ever come to ATI, or is it an nVidia-only thing like thing used in the example of NFSHP in the OP?

DagsJT

Great thread, thanks for the input everyone.

I've just swapped from a 6950 to a 580 GTX and installed Nvidia Inspector. Is there any standard settings that I need to change in the Nvidia Control Panel or NI? Or is every setting game specific?

Top Bottom