• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF PC Gaming General Performance Tweaking Thread

SOLDIER

Any recommended tweaks for Just Cause 2? Trying to see if I can maybe hit 60 fps, as I always get when I'm looking straight up into the sky or directly below the ground.

SOLDIER

Also bumping for tweaks for the Assassin's Creed games, since I bought the whole franchise on Steam the other day.

Lastly, I've been getting some weird Bulletstorm glitches, like doors or walls not opening/exploding, and an occasional CTD. I followed the guide in the OP perfectly, so I'm wondering if something there is the cause.

Saty

How do i force AA in general with Nvidia Inspector? And what to do when there are no profiles for the new game like Darksiders 2 for example.

This thread is a ghost town, but perhaps someone will see it and help me out before it gets lost again.

Do the Post Effects in the graphics options of the Assassin's Creed games do anything besides adding a nasty blur filter over the entire image? I turned it off in AC2, but it seems to be much less intrusive in Brotherhood.

LogicStep

Can someone help me? I don't understand how to go into a game profile and force things like in the op. I downloaded nvidia inspector but I don't see any option for that. I'm trying to force AA for Hot Pursuit.

scitek

Can someone help me? I don't understand how to go into a game profile and force things like in the op. I downloaded nvidia inspector but I don't see any option for that. I'm trying to force AA for Hot Pursuit.

See that little icon next to Driver Version on Inspector? Looks like a wrench and screwdriver, I think. Click that.

Sethos

Banned
Is it possible to do a general downsampling of games without using Nvidia custom resolutions? My U3011 doesn't seem to support even a basic 1.5x increase at 1hz, so I can rule that out. I remember when playing around with GTA 4's ENB they had a simple downsample option within the config, so you could get 2-3x your resolution just fine. Is such an option possible for games 'in general' or is it purely per-game basis?

I'm just way too lazy for the Nvidia Inspector malarkey of finding the correct bits, figuring out the best option, clamping, LOD Bias and whatnot.

Made a post in a different thread. Will leave the same one here to see if anyone knows of a fix

Splinter Cell Conviction is a bit old now...I figured that I would have little to no trouble running this game. Getting odd framerate drops here and there just walking around in this game. I have a GTX 570, i72600K, and 8GB RAM. Turned the HDR stuff off with little to no change. Turned HDR back on and turned down the AA to 4xMSAA. Still little to no change.

Seems some are claiming poor optimizing

Help me please, PC GAF.

So I recently started playing Tera Online. I'm playing at pretty low performance and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my computer a bit but I'm not looking to spend too much.

I'm basically looking to run the game at "normalish" settings. I don't need to burn my eyes out with the glory of the graphics.

I need to know what I should upgrade first in order to get the biggest bang for my buck?

These are some of the specs from my system?

32 bit OS - Vista

Intel Core (TM)2 4400@ 2.0 GHz (I have two of these on the mother board I believe)

4.0 GB RAM (There are no more slots for ram on the mother board. I think I have this max'd out without having to replace the mother board)

NVIDIA GForce 9800 GT

Help!

Is it simply a matter of replacing my video card or do I need to get a new mother board etc?

Kryptonic

Help me please, PC GAF.

So I recently started playing Tera Online. I'm playing at pretty low performance and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade my computer a bit but I'm not looking to spend too much.

I'm basically looking to run the game at "normalish" settings. I don't need to burn my eyes out with the glory of the graphics.

I need to know what I should upgrade first in order to get the biggest bang for my buck?

These are some of the specs from my system?

32 bit OS - Vista

Intel Core (TM)2 4400@ 2.0 GHz (I have two of these on the mother board I believe)

4.0 GB RAM (There are no more slots for ram on the mother board. I think I have this max'd out without having to replace the mother board)

NVIDIA GForce 9800 GT

Help!

Is it simply a matter of replacing my video card or do I need to get a new mother board etc?

Vid card upgrade might do it for yah, which wouldn't require a mobo replacement, but best bet would be to get new mobo, cpu, vid card and possibly ram if you're using DDR2 as new mobo's will require DDR3. You would also want to get a 64bit OS(win7/8) to make use of your 4GB and more.

Would check out the "I need a New PC!" thread.

Any advice for optimizing Spec Ops The Line? I want to use at least 2x SGSSAA, and I tried it with everything on High and Ambient Occlusion off, but the frame rate still drops to 35 at times, usually staying around 40-50. I could leave everything on Very High, use SMAA and never worry about any frame drops, but hopefully there's something I can tweak to get a little more performance?

I'm running a 560 ti and an i5 2550k.

antitrop

Any advice for optimizing Spec Ops The Line? I want to use at least 2x SGSSAA, and I tried it with everything on High and Ambient Occlusion off, but the frame rate still drops to 35 at times, usually staying around 40-50. I could leave everything on Very High, use SMAA and never worry about any frame drops, but hopefully there's something I can tweak to get a little more performance?

I'm running a 560 ti and an i5 2550k.

I honestly don't even know if they patched that issue where you had to delete the Spec Ops folder in /My Games/ or it would cause major FPS lag on lower and mid end hardware. You should try that.

If that doesn't work the first thing you want to start cranking down is shadows.

SOLDIER

Recently I upgraded my PC specs:

Geforce GTX 760

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHZ

Memory 7.92 GB

Resolution 1920x1080 (60 hz)

I can run many games at 60 fps at max settings, and even achieve downsampling with no drop in framerate for games like Bioshock Infinite and Max Payne 3.

But Arkham City remains a challenge to get full 60 fps at 1920x1080. On DirectX 9 it's no problem at all, but I'm trying to achieve the same framerate through DirectX 11 to take advantage of its exclusive features (like PhysX).

Any suggestions on what settings to tweak?

Lingitiz

Recently I upgraded my PC specs:

Geforce GTX 760

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHZ

Memory 7.92 GB

Resolution 1920x1080 (60 hz)

I can run many games at 60 fps at max settings, and even achieve downsampling with no drop in framerate for games like Bioshock Infinite and Max Payne 3.

But Arkham City remains a challenge to get full 60 fps at 1920x1080. On DirectX 9 it's no problem at all, but I'm trying to achieve the same framerate through DirectX 11 to take advantage of its exclusive features (like PhysX).

Any suggestions on what settings to tweak?

I think PhsyX and DX11 in Arkham City are notoriously bad. It would probably be better to just avoid them.

SOLDIER

Is there perhaps a hack that lets you have PhysX with DirectX9?

Edit: Oh, it turns out you can still have PhysX with DX9. I thought it was exclusive to DX11.

I guess in that case I have to decide which is more important: Tesselation or PhysX.

Top Bottom