• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Traded PMs with Phaethon0017, picked Battlefield as the stage if I lose, Phaethon chose Last Destination.

Hoping to get in a test match in the next day or two.

Firestorm

Remember to pick Yoshi's Island for first match.
Remember to PM opponent your stage choice.
Remember to set settings before match!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Had a couple practice matches last night, they all went fine except the last one, which had a bit of lag at the end. We just need to schedule our official match now.

Are there any standard messages we should use for taunts? I haven't played a lot of online yet.

scottnak

Killa Sasa said:
PM'd scottnak. BTW, if you look here scott, I added your BC since I only have 13 right now anyway :S.
Replied. If you can play sometime today that'd be best. My internet is pretty crappy back home (spring breaaak!)

Jiggy

I wonder if yeb and usea will dominate this tournament just like the Pokemon one. >_>

Edit: Looking over the list of people, I predict these things:

Killa Sasa and truendo will fall quickly, because with in-game names like "BADD" and "PWNER" you've gotta either be really excellent or trying to compensate.
Scribble, Baiano19, BudokaiMR2, RevenantKioku, Osaka, HotByCold, teasel, shaft, and SantaC live outside North America and lag will either benefit or hurt them.
SuperAndroid17 and SS4Gogita will dominate because people will see their DBZ names and be too annoyed to fight properly.
mugwhump will get knocked out while he's using his taunts to make bad puns about Ninjabread Man.
slayn and Nabster92 are set to do excellently since everybody who's played against them raves.
Dr. Hadji's pre-Brawl reputation precedes him.
MrCheez has an extra month of Japanese Brawl experience behind him and has the magical ability to produce lagless matches, which may just screw up people who are used to adjusting for lag.
JSnake will get stopped mid-tournament by his overbearing mother. :( But he doesn't need to win, because people will probably gift him VC games anyway because he almost always brings certain Monday news to us a Friday ahead of time.
Crushed will pick Big Blue or 75m and eke out a win against at least one insanely good player. This may or may not eventually be my own strategy. :lol But substitute 75m for Rumble Falls.

This is mostly a joke post.

Nabster92

Lol, nice predictions jiggy. None for yourself?

Edit: I suppose the rumble falls thing does pertain to you...so nvm. I suppose i missed it but whats this pre-brawl reputation of dr. hadji?

Milabrega

Jiggy37 said:
I wonder if yeb and usea will dominate this tournament just like the Pokemon one. >_>

Edit: Looking over the list of people, I predict these things:

Killa Sasa and truendo will fall quickly, because with in-game names like "BADD" and "PWNER" you've gotta either be really excellent or trying to compensate.

JSnake will get stopped mid-tournament by his overbearing mother. :( But he doesn't need to win, because people will probably gift him VC games anyway because he almost always brings certain Monday news to us a Friday ahead of time.

Amazing. :lol

Jiggy

I predict that I'll make at least the top 64, then lose to someone who counterpicks WarioWare and gets three Starman rewards in a single match while I'm stuck with the Super Mushroom effect.

As for Dr.Hadji, I think he was some kind of competitive Kirby player or something, I don't know. Goes by the name KirbyKid, and if he's THIS KirbyKid then we might all be in trouble. >_>

Jiggy37 said:
I predict that I'll make at least the top 64, then lose to someone who counterpicks WarioWare and gets three Starman rewards in a single match while I'm stuck with the Super Mushroom effect.

As for Dr.Hadji, I think he was some kind of competitive Kirby player or something, I don't know. Goes by the name KirbyKid, and if he's THIS KirbyKid then we might all be in trouble. >_>

And Kirby got better too :O. I thought that match was in real time for like the first 30 secs.

Firestorm

OliveJuice said:
And Kirby got better too :O. I thought that match was in real time for like the first 30 secs.

It is real time. Except that it's running at 30 fps instead of 60 due to how videos turn out to be.

scottnak

Game set! I lost 2-1. Great match. That second bout was amazing.
Totally fell apart on the 3rd though... oh well.
Fun stuff :)

Firestorm said:
It is real time. Except that it's running at 30 fps instead of 60 due to how videos turn out to be.
That does not look real time to me. I guess the 30 fps must really be confusing me.

Okay, taking a look at the other matches it does look real time. I must be getting used to brawl's speed.

Jiggy

Seriously, looking at Melee again after playing Brawl is like "what the how did I play that speed for six and a half years of my life."

el jacko

sent a pm to that guy I'm playing, sixstringpsycho

haven't received a response, but that's probably because I sent it like five seconds ago.

usea

Jiggy37 said:
My record on gamebattles is 0-7 right now. :lol I don't think I'll be advancing very far in this tournament. I'll be lucky to win a round. I just can't function with the input delay for some reason. Also I haven't had enough time with the game, I'm still trying to play it like melee.

edit: PM sent to Acerac.

I don't have all the stages (or characters...) unlocked. So if my opponent chooses a stage I don't have as their counterpick, or if the selected 1st round stage is an unlockable I don't have, I won't be able to choose it. just fyi

Jiggy

usea said:
My record on gamebattles is 0-7 right now. :lol I don't think I'll be advancing very far in this tournament. I'll be lucky to win a round. I just can't function with the input delay for some reason. Also I haven't had enough time with the game, I'm still trying to play it like melee.
Yeah, I definitely understand both of those things. I'm trying to think back on how long it took me to switch from N64 Jigglypuff to GC Jigglypuff, to feel less bad about how I'm doing right now--not just with the Puff, but with a lot of characters whose transitions I don't "get" yet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Firestorm said:
gg Relix. Losers bracket already for me, oh my :O

w00t. Me win, me win :D . Nah, really, GG, you had me mad crazy with the fucking bombs back there, it was like I had a mental block and couldn't do a thing about it. Oh well =D.

Jiggy

Firestorm to be out of the tournament in two rounds? :eek:

Uh-oh. With usea saying he's got a bad record in Brawl, yeb being a self-proclaimed unlikely winner, and Firestorm losing the first round, it's looking bad for the Pokemon tournament leaders. Perhaps I'm doomed too. D:

Edit: Then again, if I continue to not get a reply to my PM, perhaps I'll advance by default. >_> >_> <_< >_>

usea

How long do we have for this first round? There are some timing conflicts for me, hopefully we can get our match in before the deadline.

Firestorm

Tuesday. The tournament only officially starts Sunday. I put up brackets early since it's Spring Break for some people (not me x.x) and I wanted to see how many people are still paying attention.

Jiggy

Hey, Firestorm, if you're keeping track of whoever ends up losing due to an opponent forfeit, can you send that information my way in the future? >_> I want to track this stuff in my own document where I make predictions based on nothing more than such obscure criteria as username, post count on GAF, and history to date in the SSBB tournament, but I need fuller information, like if a person only won their last three matches due to the other person not showing up.

Top Bottom