• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1

scottnak

24 hrs later, no response. Still no activity on GAF either. Not online on AIM to bug either...
No way I'm going to be able to play tomorrow since I have a midterm.. (deadline is tomorrow?) Do we get a little squeak room in the event my opponent squeaks in in the day after tomorrrow?

Firestorm

scottnak said:
24 hrs later, no response. Still no activity on GAF either. Not online on AIM to bug either...
No way I'm going to be able to play tomorrow since I have a midterm.. (deadline is tomorrow?) Do we get a little squeak room in the event my opponent squeaks in in the day after tomorrrow?

When have I not given squeak room =(

PM'd Keru back, hopefully we'll get our game done tomorrow.

one question that's probably been asked: How can you really pick a counter stage before you play your opponent, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

justchris

miggsthejust said:

one question that's probably been asked: How can you really pick a counter stage before you play your opponent, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I think it's in case you can't contact your opponent during the match. At least I hope it is, cause I may want to change my counterpick depending on what way in which my opponent horribly mangles me in the first match.

Firestorm

miggsthejust said:

Defeats the purpose yes but I figured it was better to pick based on your character than have it random one person's choice 3 times in a row. the method normally used would be too complicated in an online setting where not everybody is beside their computer during a match.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Yes, I've noticed that the fact that opponents know what your counterpick stage is ahead of time has led to the majority of counterpicks being fairly safe, neutral stages.

Bloodwake

Iam Canadian said:
Yes, I've noticed that the fact that opponents know what your counterpick stage is ahead of time has led to the majority of counterpicks being fairly safe, neutral stages.

Yeah... well, my counterpick is fucking Big Blue. That's safe... NOT.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BlueSummers said:
Im still not ready to do battle with Relix. I need to be 100% on my game.

My rust is off. Just ask Droid :lol . Can't play tonight though... gotta finish this huge paper for tomorrow. We can play afterwards... also Firestorm hasn't decided on a R6 level

Relix said:
My rust is off. Just ask Droid :lol . Can't play tonight though... gotta finish this huge paper for tomorrow. We can play afterwards... also Firestorm hasn't decided on a R6 level

Friday would be good for me, I got school tomorrow and then triva. My team is ranked 3rd in the nation! :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BlueSummers said:
Friday would be good for me, I got school tomorrow and then triva. My team is ranked 3rd in the nation! :lol

I've got a Trivia...

"Who's gonna win Friday's match?"

A) Relix
B) Summers

=OOOO. Nah JK with you man. Firestorm, we need a Round 6 stage urgently!

Zeed

Banned
Looks like I'm eliminated.

Round 5

Vlad (Pit) over Zeed (Lucario) - Delfino
Vlad (Pit) over Zeed (Lucario) - Yoshi's Island

That was the worst lag I've seen online yet, but I was the one who refused a warmup so I'll live with it. Freaking Pit reflecting all my balls.

Meanwhile my PS3 is next to my Wii and runs Resistance MP silky smooth.

Nintendo, is it too much to ask that you get online right for once?

Tourney Results

OliveJuice (Falco) over Phantom Flapjack (Ness)
Phantom Flapjack (Ness) over OliveJuice (Falco) : Onett
OliveJuice (Falco) over Phantom Flapjack (Zelda) : Final Destination

Winner OliveJuice.

Really close, especially that last one. Good games.

Bloodwake

I'M OUT!

XiaNaphryz (Zelda) over Bloodwake (Captain Falcon), Delfino Plaza
XiaNaphryz (Zelda) over Bloodwake (Captain Falcon), Big Blue

I took a risk and played a dangerous map and it bit me in the ass. Lag killed our second game too, although the first game was close. Good game XiaNaphryz!

I'm still going to lurk the thread and spectate and continue to be the annoying "these are the games in this round that still need to be played" guy, and hopefully I will fare better in the next tournament.

Bloodwake

Acerac said:
Ugh, forgot about this and noticed way too late. I deserve the loss if we can't get this together in time. ^^;

Well, since you are in round five, and the deadline's for round four, I wouldn't worry about it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bloodwake said:
I'M OUT!

XiaNaphryz (Zelda) over Bloodwake (Captain Falcon), Delfino Plaza
XiaNaphryz (Zelda) over Bloodwake (Captain Falcon), Big Blue

I took a risk and played a dangerous map and it bit me in the ass. Lag killed our second game too, although the first game was close. Good game XiaNaphryz!

I'm still going to lurk the thread and spectate and continue to be the annoying "these are the games in this round that still need to be played" guy, and hopefully I will fare better in the next tournament.
Yeah, good match tonight. Big Blue was an interesting choice, but it was pretty fun. :) I guess I play the winner of Arol vs scottnak/SuperAngelo next.

On another note - Firestorm, I'm out on vacation in a few days. I'll be gone from this Saturday (4/12) until the Sunday of the following week (4/20). Can I get a special extension if I can't get any further matches done beforehand? >_>

Keru (Ike) over Miggs (R.O.B.) on Smashville
Keru (Falco) over Miggs (Ike) on Luigi's Mansion

It was a hard fought match, and both Miggs and I were suffering from lag pretty bad. As much as Ike can benefit from lag, he can get screwed by it as well. Anyways, good game Miggs.

Note: It was not a typo, we both indeed changed characters.

Firestorm

Round 5 (Due Saturday April 12th at 10 PM Pacific)
First Stage: Delfino Plaza
stage02_thmbnail.jpg

Bracket (click here)

PM your opponent and then post here once you have done so. If you receive a PM, reply to the PM and post here. I need to know how the communication is going. PLEASE read the rules over again. Do not deviate from the rules.

If you guys want to use an easy way of coordinating matches, join the irc channel that slayn made:

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_sb

Use your own IRC client or use the browser-based version: http://irc-pro.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#gaf_sb

Dreavus vs justchris and Crimmy vs weepy is extended a few days as they didn't really get their matchup until yesterday.

SuperAngelo64 loses by forfeit.
dfyb loses by forfeit.

Round 6's stage will be Halberd for those who wanna move ahead.

justchris

Sorry Firestorm, Dreavus and I are still working on our round 4 match, having a bit of a scheduling issue, but we'll try not to hold you up too long.

Firestorm

justchris said:
Sorry Firestorm, Dreavus and I are still working on our round 4 match, having a bit of a scheduling issue, but we'll try not to hold you up too long.

You should get on IRC when you're online.

Jiggy

With Milabrega having swept Nabster and BlueSummers having swept Kwokuen, I for one have no clue who's going to win this tournament anymore. I just know that, between those four along with JCX, dragonlife, Olive, Dr.Hadji, biggkidd32, slayn, SuperAndroid17, and Relix, it's certainly not going to be me.

Can't wait to record the statistics on all future matchups involving those twelve. :eek: Especially if the tournament keeps randomly turning up people who are even better than the best I've faced.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Cyan said:
Wow. I no longer feel so bad about being completely destroyed by Mila. ;)

Haha, I was going to post the same thing. :lol

Although I wouldn't say I was destroyed... but he definitely beat me fair and square. We need a rematch, Mila! :D

And I need to figure out how this craaaazy "loser bracket" thing is going to work for me! :O

Jiggy

I'm just happy 104 others will have been eliminated before me, putting me am automatically in the top 24 of the tournament even if I lose my next match. Yes, yes. Hooray me. :D

The wait for my next match is grating. DK is hungry for revenge

Off-topic: Sonic and Olimar are awesome to play as (offline anyway). At first I thought he was awful, but damn if Sonic can't just eat people for breakfast sometimes :D

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jiggy37 said:
With Milabrega having swept Nabster and BlueSummers having swept Relix, I for one have no clue who's going to win this tournament anymore. I just know that, between those four along with JCX, dragonlife, Olive, Dr.Hadji, biggkidd32, slayn, SuperAndroid17, and Kwokuen, it's certainly not going to be me.

Can't wait to record the statistics on all future matchups involving those twelve. :eek: Especially if the tournament keeps randomly turning up people who are even better than the best I've faced.

BlueSummers and I have never fought 0_0. Kwokuen did manage to beat me four times but that was in a pretty bad day. Last night I went 7-0 against Kak though so it seems I am back to prime baby :D

Edit: Mila beat Nabster? WTF?!?! Now that was a surprise (to keep the funny cycle going... I beat Mila :lol )

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Kidd and Mila, let's try to organize your fight with Mine and Bluesummer's this Friday night, so we can have the results for both matches on the same day. Would be cool, at least in my opinion. Then we can leave the fated Relix vs. Kidd Championship fight for Saturday (Bwahahaha I am skipping you again Summers!!*)

*This is an IRC joke

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Arol said:
Responded to scottnak. I kinda wish deadline was a Sunday
Any chance you and scottnak will finish your match before Friday night so that I can play the winner right after? Just trying to get as many matches in before I leave for vacation Saturday...

Speaking of which, any thoughts on my situation Firestorm? Am I going to just end up forfeiting for being out of town if I can't play enough matches to get ahead? :(

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I might have to forfeit out of both this and the items tournament. I have had 0 time for gaming this week and I don't see things slowing down. Maybe this weekend =\

also I am having a very hard time loading the bracket with this new transparency thing going on.

Bloodwake

slayn said:
I might have to forfeit out of both this and the items tournament. I have had 0 time for gaming this week and I don't see things slowing down. Maybe this weekend =\

also I am having a very hard time loading the bracket with this new transparency thing going on.

You don't play for another three or four rounds, so I wouldn't worry about quitting this one.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
slayn said:

slayn
needs to show more effort.

If you quit and I win this tourney it won't feel like a complete victory. Don't give up mofo!!! :lol :D :D The losers bracket is also considerably slower. While the winner's might be done by Saturday, the losers could take until May, no kidding.

I had trouble downloading the image as well. I had to keep pausing and resuming to get it to download. Hope you don't mind Firestorm but I uploaded it so people who are having trouble seeing it, like me, can download it.

Round 5

Top Bottom