• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs (2012 edition) - Results Posted

kswiston

is there any chance the SNES games hold up in terms of writing and/or story? I'm thinking of getting FFIII off the VC.

and is FF Tactics good for someone who doesn't play SRPG. The only SRPG game I like is Valkyria Chronicles, I''ve tried Disgaea but I was completely overwhelmed, I'd like to try something that's easier to get in to

SNES games suffered from worse localization efforts than most modern RPGs get, but underneath badly translated dialogue, some of the titles had pretty good writing. Final Fantasy VI doesn't have the greatest story of all time or anything, but it is competent and the characters are interesting.

Final Fantasy Tactics is more straight forward than Disgaea. I remember beating Disgaea when it first came out, and then trying to start New game+ a few years later. I couldn't remember how to play at all. You don't really get that with Final Fantasy Tactics. A lot of the depth is in customizing your skills and picking jobs that complement each other. However, the basic gameplay mechanics are really simple. It's a pretty good choice as an introduction to tactical Rpgs. That's how I started back in the 90s.

Leeness

I'm so excited for FFXII now, even more than I was before, now that everyone is telling me off about XII and Xenoblade :D

And I'm not being sarcastic, you guys are making me more excited haha. So looking forward to XII in the new year.

Hansel

Banned
Not to be a wang, but VendettaXXI and I both voted for Harvest Moon 64 and we both gave it our extra points.

So shouldn't it be on the list since it received 4 points?

I love this topic, not only the result of Chrono Trigger winning, but also seeing a lot of old games that I haven't played before. 2012 is going to be a year in which I will play two of those games:

Final Fantasy VI
Earthbound

As of recent games I guess I'll be playing Witcher II (360) next year.

Wonderful!

Durask

is there any chance the SNES games hold up in terms of writing and/or story? I'm thinking of getting FFIII off the VC.

and is FF Tactics good for someone who doesn't play SRPG. The only SRPG game I like is Valkyria Chronicles, I''ve tried Disgaea but I was completely overwhelmed, I'd like to try something that's easier to get in to

Try fan-translated Der Langrisser. Good SRPG to get into.

Top Bottom