• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential RPGs - 2015 edition

Kieli

Mass Effect beating Baldur's Gate and PS:T makes me extremely uncomfortable (I haven't finished PS:T, or it'd probably be my 4th/3rd/2nd all-time).

Arulan

- People from the Bioware is terrible thread won't be happy with the results. Mass Effect received the most points for a WRPG (not counting Dark Souls depending on how you break things down), and there were 5 Bioware titles in the overall top 35.

- Fire Emblem Awakening and Divine Divinity: Original Sin are the only two games released since the last list to make the top 25.

Well, the BioWare is terrible thread is mostly about recent releases. I don't think anyone is arguing they haven't made some really great RPGs, it's just that most of those are in the past.

I'm glad to see Divinity: Original Sin get some recognition.

As for Mass Effect getting the most WRPG points, while I don't even remotely agree, it's not difficult to comprehend why that is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I have tallied the votes of everything that received at least 10 points, and am pretty sure that I didn't miss anything significant.

It is going to take me some time to get the final list up (probably 2+ weeks since I work full time/care for my baby), but here is a bit of a sneak peak.

- Chrono Trigger received the most points for the 5th consecutive time, but by the smallest margin ever. Final Fantasy VI is still the most recommended Final Fantasy title.

- RPG GAF really loves Persona and the Souls series (well not so much DS2).

- People from the Bioware is terrible thread won't be happy with the results. Mass Effect received the most points for a WRPG (not counting Dark Souls depending on how you break things down), and there were 5 Bioware titles in the overall top 35.

- Fire Emblem Awakening and Divine Divinity: Original Sin are the only two games released since the last list to make the top 25.

- Dragon's Dogma jumped 35 places since the last thread. Tactics Ogre fell 48 places.

Are you going to do write ups like last time for the top games? I'd love to help for the new titles.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Top 5 WRPGs were as follows:

1) Mass Effect
2) Fallout New Vegas (tied)
2) Planescape Torment (tied)
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

The Witcher 2, Divinity Original Sin, and Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines were within 3-4 points of Mass Effect 2 though. Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Morrowind followed those.

All is right with the world, how people on Gaf can hate on ME2, a game with one of the highest metacritic scores ever, baffles me.

jtb

Banned

1) Mass Effect
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

The Witcher 2, Divinity Original Sin, and Vampire: the Masquerade: Bloodlines were within 3-4 points of Mass Effect 2 though. Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Morrowind followed those.

Other than the Mass Effect games and Divinity: OS (recency bias), a surprisingly agreeable—if obvious—list. I love ME1 but it's so thoroughly flawed I'm surprised GAF doesn't mind the jank. ME2's not an RPG.

pretty few choices in terms of quality WRPGs over the past 10 years anyways. Mask of the Betrayer strikes me as the only glaring absence.

kswiston

Are you going to do write ups like last time for the top games? I'd love to help for the new titles.

Yes. I will probably recycle the write ups for the titles that were in the top 50 last time, because it would be crazy to try and redo everything from scratch. However, There will still be a handful of new (or new to the top 50) games to cover, and help would be great.

I love ME1 but it's so thoroughly flawed I'm surprised GAF doesn't mind the jank.

Alpha Protocol made the Top 50 again.

Korten

Banned
ME2's not an RPG.

ME2 is an RPG...

I love how at one point people where saying: "x isn't an RPG because it doesn't have choice."

Then it was: "x isn't an RPG because you don't use [insert generic RPG stats here] in the game."

Gah. RPG fans apparently don't know what an RPG is anymore. In ME2, I do get armor with different stats, you get different weapons, level up and level up specific skills and shit. You also ROLEPLAY as Commander Shepard, you make choices and things react to that.

Apparently that isn't an RPG. Hell Stick of Truth is considered an RPG and it only has stats and skill leveling, you make zero choices. (At least from what I've played of it thus far.)

My essential 10 as of January 2015:

10) Mass Effect 2 (the vanilla PS3 version, with all the DLC)
9) Dark Souls (PS3/X360)
8) Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)
7) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
6) Persona 3: FES (PS2)
5) Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4) Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
3) Persona 4: The Golden (PSV)
2) Trails in the Sky (PSP)
1) Suikoden II (PS1)

Honorable mentions:
Fallout 2 (PC) - i love it, but it has not aged well.
Skies of Arcadia (DC) - The excessive encounter rate dragged it down a bit from god-tier status.
Tales of Graces F (PS3) - the main plot is mostly dreck, but the dialogue is excellent, and the combat is my hands down favorite of any JRPG ever.
Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4) - i loved this above all other games of 2014, but only time will tell if it deserves a place in "the pantheon".

My essential 10 as of January 2015:

10) Mass Effect 2 (PS3 version, with all the DLC)
9) Dark Souls (PS3/X360)
8) Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)
7) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)
6) Persona 3: FES (PS2)
5) Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4) Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
3) Persona 4: The Golden (PSV)
2) Trails in the Sky (PSP)
1) Suikoden II (PS1)

Honorable mentions:
Fallout 2 (PC) - i love it, but it has not aged well.
Skies of Arcadia (DC) - The excessive encounter rate dragged it down a bit from god-tier status.
Tales of Graces F (PS3) - the main plot is mostly dreck, but the dialogue is excellent, and the combat is my hands down favorite of any JRPG ever.

You're a bit too late. Good list though.

jtb

Banned
Yes. I will probably recycle the write ups for the titles that were in the top 50 last time, because it would be crazy to try and redo everything from scratch. However, There will still be a handful of new (or new to the top 50) games to cover, and help would be great.

ah, Alpha Protocol. the Deus Ex spiritual successor gamers demanded, but did not deserve :( god I love that game.

Almighty

1) Mass Effect
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

Well I am happy with New Vegas' placement. Sure it would of been nice for it to have beat Mass Effect, but it is nice that it finally beat Fallout 3. It seems Bethesda titles have fallen down a little. Can't wait to see the full list.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Great.!

dude

dude
Mass Effect beating Baldur's Gate and PS:T makes me extremely uncomfortable (I haven't finished PS:T, or it'd probably be my 4th/3rd/2nd all-time).

Eh, don't let it get to you. This is what usually happens with such lists - Newer and more popular games get more votes and so get unproportional recognition.

Thores

Aw, bummer about Tactics Ogre. That's my roomie's all time favorite, he's gonna be pretty sad.

How'd Trails in the Sky do this time? A thread search implies much worse than 2013.

Shengar

Yeah, seems more indicative of voter demographic than quality.

When it comes down to voting, it'll always come down to demographic indicator than quality. The Top 100 like kswinston said, will be interesting and I hope for each of them he could highlight the explanation why they were picked (though rather impractical considering the quantity).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, leafing through the votes a little bit for the past few days, the demographics have changed just slightly. And that will always control how the final results will go. Additionally, like it or not, platform and series adherence would generally skew some people's ballots; this is true for any vote thread. Finally, more recent games that people generally seem to tend to do well in this thread.

Personally, I'm always curious as to how FF5 ranks every year since we do the Fiesta annually, but maybe it might not do so well this time.
blahblahblah schala's teh bias because she played it three times this year blahblahblah

Did the suikoden games rank?
GS2 usually ranks. A general search would suggest that GS2 will again.

Bump for YOUR list, procrastinators (who may or may not show up later on to gripe about "too many JRPGs" or "why is this so looooooooooow").

Hahaha.

People wonder why I don't do a ranked HM list; doing the top 10 was exhausting enough, especially since I had to ascertain thru the second playthru whether or not LoG2 could dethrone one of those old 10 (which it did).

Post-vote discussion will be entertaining as always, heh. The preliminary results aren't really surprising to me, to be honest. Similar trends happen every year the vote is held, so a lot of what happens during the vote tends not to be too much of a surprise.

Last time I never got around to playing Mass Effect... and I still haven't played those games (people have suggested to me that I'd like the first one way more than the others based on what I usually like talking about regarding RPGs). So I can't comment on that at all.

I played Alpha Protocol since the last vote and I'm pretty happy that I did; that game is legit and if I get time during the summer, I'll finish it off.

And it's starting already! Woohoohoohoo!

Skyrim and TO's falls are pretty signifigant; as is DD's ascent after its release year.

- Dragon's Dogma jumped 35 places since the last thread.

tumblr_m7ym5yDLxf1qiyde3.gif

This makes me happy. DD is fantastic and needs all the praise it can get. Though considering it placed 80th last time it should have jumped even further >_>

Heropon

This thread always reminds me that I need to play WRPGs and it's funny considering how when I was little I only had a PC. I guess other genres were simply more attractive to me, or I wasn't old enough to appreciate them, I don't know.

Kurtofan

I have tallied the votes of everything that received at least 10 points, and am pretty sure that I didn't miss anything significant.

It is going to take me some time to get the final list up (probably 2+ weeks since I work full time/care for my baby), but here is a bit of a sneak peak.

- Chrono Trigger received the most points for the 5th consecutive time, but by the smallest margin ever. Final Fantasy VI is still the most recommended Final Fantasy title.

- RPG GAF really loves Persona and the Souls series (well not so much DS2).

- Dragon's Dogma jumped 35 places since the last thread. Tactics Ogre fell 48 places.

Did Wasteland 2 make it? I'm somewhat saddened to see DDOS do so well compared to it.

1) Mass Effect
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

Pretty good list considering it was about essential RPG's, and a nice combination of older and modern RPG's is a good choice when it comes that. I wouldn't put ME2 anywhere near a list of what I think are the best WRPG's, not even close, but I can see how it's considered an essential game in the genre.

Chaos17

1) Secret of mana
2) Chrono Trigger
3) Lunar Eternal blue
4) Shining force 3
5) Meister Kamidori
6) Spiriti of Eternity sword 2
7) Tears to tiara
8) Utawaremono
9) Recettear
10) Twin summoner

Apenheul

Next year my list will probably be completely different, I'm playing Planescape Torment and it changed my perspective on the genre as a whole.

Shengar

Pretty good list considering it was about essential RPG's, and a nice combination of older and modern RPG's is a good choice when it comes that. I wouldn't put ME2 anywhere near a list of what I think are the best WRPG's, not even close, but I can see how it's considered an essential game in the genre.

Yeah, being essential doesn't exactly mean as the top of the quality. We could play it for something else that might changed our perspective on the genre or something like that.

Axass

Damn, missed this! Next year (?) I'll vote for sure. Looked at the old list and at the first info about the new one and I see we pretty much share the same taste, there are a bunch of things I don't agree with though (just my opinions).

I still don't get why the Souls series is considered an RPG, in my mind if something has a leveling system it isn't automatically an RPG. I mean, there are sports and racing games with a leveling system, sometimes even platformers or other kind of games. The Souls games feel more like action adventures (with RPG elements, sure), you don't spend too much time planning your equipment, abilities etc., neither having long conversations with NPCs, the plot is almost like an afterthought, not developed at all, no cities, no map, most of the time spent is in the heat of battle, in the midst of the action or exploring. Weirds me out when people say it's an RPG, just like when people say Zelda is an RPG.

I don't get why Planescape Torment stomps all over BGII. Don't get me wrong, I love Torment, easily in my top 10-20 games of all time, but I see the trinity of DnD CRPGs like this: Icewind Dale is great but flawed, as it focuses too much on the fighting, to the detriment of the plot and characters, Planescape Torment is great but flawed, as it focuses too much on plot and characters, to the detriment of the fighting, BGII is the perfect balance of plot, characters and action.

FFXII so high. I can't get into that game (tried thrice), feels like an offline MMORPG. Weakest FF after FFXIII for me.

Durante

I'll just stick to RPGCodex for my list needs. They might be overrating Fallout, but that's much more bearable than 2 ME games in the top 5.

I still don't get why the Souls series is considered an RPG, in my mind if something has a leveling system it isn't automatically an RPG. I mean, there are sports and racing games with a leveling system, sometimes even platformers or other kind of games. The Souls games feel more like action adventures (with RPG elements, sure), you don't spend too much time planning your equipment, abilities etc., neither having long conversations with NPCs, the plot is almost like an afterthought, not developed at all, no cities, no map, most of the time spent is in the heat of battle, in the midst of the action or exploring. Weirds me out when people say it's an RPG, just like when people say Zelda is an RPG.

Admittedly I sort of feel the same way after all I wouldn't consider say Symphony of the Night for this list and it draws a lot of similarities to Souls structure but I still voted for it since everyone else was doing it, cursed GAF peer pressure.

That's always the deal with something like this I suppose, RPG alone casts a really wide net where the cutoff point varies based on personal opinion.
It's kind of like for instance if you made a list based upon say platformers you could feasibly end up buried among a host of varied titles that share elements to tie them into the genre as a whole but can all play completely differently and slot into many various sub genres.

Lime

Just read the OP. What a huge letdown for Kswiston since this will be his last round of RPG oting and with with the results being what they are it isn't pretty. For shame RPG GAF.

Lux R7

Dark souls is an RPG to me, 'cause you can choose who you are, you can choose your covenant, you can choose the role you want to play in the world.
This is the role play to me.
You do not have to talk with one million NPCs to be in a RPG imho.
To me what really matters is the possibility to choose who u are, what to do, when and why.

I don't like, for exemple, the withcer kind of RPG, 'cause i can't choose who i am.

It's a matter of tastes or of what u think it's important in an RPG.

kswiston

Just read the OP. What a huge letdown for Kswiston since this will be his last round of RPG oting and with with the results being what they are it isn't pretty. For shame RPG GAF.

I view the individual submissions as the real meat of the thread, and the ranked aggregate list as something that is just for fun.

I do find it sort of funny that so many people lament the final list when almost all of you have 50%+ of what you voted for in the overall top 100 (maybe not that Ultima guy, but the large majority of you). Even peopled with varied lists like Durante have like 60-70% of their picks somewhere in that Top 100. If you ignore order, can you really complain that the games you voted for are the games that show up? :p

Apenheul

I still don't get why the Souls series is considered an RPG.
It's an OT discussion but the genre title has for the longest time been a blackhole term for all kinds of conventions. If role-playing was a key quality of the genre then hardly any Japanese RPG would qualify IMO, because most often role-playing is substituted for story re-enactment and different types of conflict are extremely limited. But most of these games still clearly have roots Dungeons and Dragons systems and terminology. We've grown to accept certain games as belonging to RPGs and over time other games derived mechanics and systems from them, and new games derived from those, but there's still some kind of family resemblance.

Finalow

I saw the thread only now, guess I'm too late.

.. at least CT will be 1st as usual, right?

All is right with the world, how people on Gaf can hate on ME2, a game with one of the highest metacritic scores ever, baffles me.
what really should baffle you is why people still think that metacritic score has any value, or why Mass Effect gets even a spot in a top 10 RPGs list.

Rad-

1) Mass Effect
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

I don't agree with the top 5 list but I have to say it's better than I thought it would be.

1) Mass Effect
4) Baldur's Gate 2
5) Mass Effect 2

As much as my appreciation for ME1/2 has declined since I played them after the second game came out, this is not that bad. It's awesome to see New Vegas go up compared to the previous list, though, especially given that it ranked below FO3 last time.

"Essential" list is kind of weird, in a sense that it's different from "best" list, but the difference is harder to grasp. For example, I agree that Chrono Trigger needs to be on the list of essential RPGs, as it's probably the 16-bit era RPG you should play if you only play one of them. But I would not put it into my personal top-10 of the best RPGs, because despite being extremely good game, it does not really excel at any particular aspect (except for the battle system, it's amazing).

dude

dude
1. I'm really saddened Wasteland 2 didn't get more love. It's not the perfect game, but I really hoped it would do better on this list. It wasn't as flashyor accessible as D:OS, but it was much better in my opinion.
2. ME over BG2 is an outrage (as is PS:T and F:NV, but I guess I can accept them to a degree.)
3.I like the Dark Souls series, but i didn't vote for that (Or Diablo for that matter) because I do not fully consider those RPGs. I get those that do, but personally I don't really feel like they should be judged in the same manner as games like BG2.
4. Unrealted: As a western RPG gamer (who played a fair share of JRPGs in his youth), should I give Persona a try? If so, which one is most recommended? My list, for reference, in on the first page. The love this series gets makes me really curious.

gngf123

4. Unrealted: As a western RPG gamer (who played a fair share of JRPGs in his youth), should I give Persona a try? If so, which one is most recommended? My list, for reference, in on the first page. The love this series gets makes me really curious.

You can give it a try, and if you do just jump straight into P4.

That said, it is one of GAF's most overrated series, at least when it comes to P3/4. The pacing is bad, the dungeons are terrible, and the story in P4 is average at best. The only things saving it are good characters.

P4 and P3P at least give you full party control.

If you are interested in solid dungeon design and gameplay, most of Atlus' other games would be a better pick. If you want fun characters you should enjoy Persona.

Durante

IMHO Divinity needs to be on an "essential" list far more than any other 2014 release, simply by virtue of having the best turn-based battle system in any RPG ever, and the best co-op integration in a CRPG.

Of course, as cynical as I am I feel tempted to believe that GAF got that one right for the wrong reason, probably because it's the one 2014 CRPG that got a bit of mainstream attention :p

I liked Wasteland 2 a lot, but everything it does is done better by some other game in the history of the genre, so I wouldn't put it on an "essentials" list.

You can give it a try, and if you do just jump straight into P4.

That said, it is one of GAF's most overrated series, at least when it comes to P3/4. The pacing is bad, the dungeons are terrible, and the story in P4 is average at best. The only things saving it are good characters.

P4 and P3P at least give you full party control.
Agreed on all counts.

Shengar

1. I'm really saddened Wasteland 2 didn't get more love. It's not the perfect game, but I really hoped it would do better on this list. It wasn't as flashyor accessible as D:OS, but it was much better in my opinion.

I haven't played D:OS yet, but the lack of love for Wasteland 2 is really disheartening :(

Top Bottom